CUNY Hunter College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY Hunter College

Hafsah

I feel that Hunter College is a great public university, and provides students with the tools that they need in order be successful in their lives. There are many workshops available such as resume and cover letter building, how to apply to internships, etc. While the professors are mostly understanding, and competent, the large class sizes make it difficult to build a rapport with the professors. The school is always crowded. For example, at times, there is barely any room to sit down or use a computer. Despite this, the school does its best to educate students.

Nabil

The wave crashed and hit the sandcastle head-on. The sandcastle began to melt under the waves force and as the wave receded, half the sandcastle was gone. The next wave hit, not quite as strong, but still managed to cover the remains of the sandcastle and take more of it away. The third wave, a big one, crashed over the sandcastle completely covering and engulfing it. When it receded, there was no trace the sandcastle ever existed and hours of hard work disappeared forever.

Annakay

Honestly Hunter could do a lot more for the students. Better advising. More professors who love what they do and actually care for their students. Access to more classes of different majors. Have activities that everyone can actually go to.. More food choices that are cheaper. More access to better resources. More printers or printers/copiers that actually work. More diversity and people of different cultures. Have workshops on political issues and racial issues so there aren't conflicts over ignorance over the two.

Pauline

Hunter is not a bad place. People there aren't very social; people tend to stay in their own group of friends. However, that means that it's common for someone to be alone, if you're an introvert. There is more than one Library, which includes group-study and self-study tables. It's pretty nice. There are a lot of food options to choose. if you don't like the food in the school, then there's a lot of other options outside (ex: Dunkin Donuts). The school is a five minute walk from the F-train or if you take the 6, then station connects to the main building of Hunter. The professors are good, except for English classes. Maybe it's just me, but English boring! Very competitive for the Nursing Program. In all honesty, I don't think it's worth it. I should've just gone to a private school or something. Good school though!

Besmira

I am currently a Freshman at Hunter College and I've really been enjoying it so far. I just finished my first semester, and I've already learned so much. Professors are super accommodating and accessible at all times. The people at Hunter College are really laid back and interesting, among other things. Would recommend!

Michelle

Hunter College is a great school! it's more on the small side in contrast to large private colleges, but they've done a great job of creating a college that is affordable and worth it. The campus facilities are currently being upgraded, such as the 2nd floor lounge and the 8th floor balcony. However, the library is amazing. There are 7 floors, each designated for particular uses. Sports teams are just as great as, with the girl's volleyball team heading into playoffs this season again. Overall, I would say, don't miss out on this gem in the city; it may be a public college but, it's one of the top public colleges in NYC.

Iyabode

Hunter College is pretty inexpensive which is a huge plus. There isn't much of a social scene going on since most of the students are commuters. So, in order to make connections and friends you really need to make an effort to talk to people in your classes. There aren't many opportunities in terms of social gatherings or school spirit. Overall, the academics are good and most of the teachers are engaging and knowledgable. However, I usually check rate my professor to ensure I choose a professor that is well liked/reasonable. There is somewhat a lack of direction in what to do post graduation and not much guidance from school counselors during your time there. Whether or not you enjoy Hunter really depends on what your looking for in a school environment.

Arlene

CUNY Hunter College is great school for commuters, working-class students, inner-borough students, and students who have come back to school after a while. There is a very big commuter vibe however there are plenty of opportunities to get help and make friends! The classes are diverse in topic and schedule which is great for the full time working class and part time student. I have had great professors, who are understanding, challenging, diverse and supportive of their students. Overall my experience at Hunter has been great, but at the same time I can't wait to graduate!

Sofia

Hunter College, is a college where everyone is consumed in their own doing since there is also a graduate program and has one of the most competitive Nursing programs in NYC, the atmosphere is depressing and needs more lounges, microwaves and better wifi.

Glismarie

Although the school is a little isolated, you can make friends if you approach others-- Usually, the social exclusion comes from the shyness that is mostly accompanied by city dwellers. The classes are easy as long as you study hard enough and a lot of the professors are usually understanding. I also like how the college is exceptionally inclusive to those with marginalized identities and aren't afraid to get involved in politics. Overall, it's a good, safe college.

Meagan

CUNY Hunter College is the best choice of not just only getting an education but to get your mind expanded on a continual daily basis. I not love the college because of the name or the simple direction from home to the campus and back but it allowed me to stretch and challenge myself both intellectually and artistically. If you're really want to be well-prepared and equipped for the real world, come to Hunter College where you can immerse yourself in a diverse culture and feel right at home.

Argenis

It is an extremely diverse and well organized campus, and the people are so polite and generous. My first few days I felt like a fish out of water, but after a week or two I got the hang of things. It is a really interesting environment and the diversity invites you to communicate and get to know everyone. In a way it almost feels as if there motto is "if at first you don't succeed, then honey keep going because in four years all you will know is success". The community is very strong in the sense of keeping everyone and their surroundings safe. I have yet to see any issues between people and I have yet to have any issues with others myself. I am an extremely socially awkward person, and after a few months I began to go out with friends and hey I'm actually offering advice to others. The classes are interesting and delightful. The professors only want you to succeed so they make sure to be flexible when you are in need of them. The availability of clubs and facilities are fascinating as well because at first I didn't know how much was available to me until I became social. Everything is student based, so if you want to make a club for a certain game, go ahead and start it. You will always find something which interests you or you will be able to create it yourself.

Yoko

This is the toughest CUNY to get into, and for good reason. I have never met someone at Hunter in all of my classes, in all of my years, to not be fully engaged in the learning experience. While there are tons of clubs, groups, sports to join, free and fun (and food-filled) events to attend, there is also a place for those who just want to do "the school thing". If you want to just go to school to learn, This is the place that will foster that love of knowledge. It is also a place where, if you want, you can spread your wings, meet people, do things, but there is never any pressure either way. And there is always, always someone to commiserate with about how the escalators never work, the bathrooms and classrooms are falling apart, and where in the Library you can get away with sleeping overnight during finals week. Hunter can be for anyone, as long as you have an open mind and a thirst for learning.

Claudia

Hunter teaches you how to become a mature adult. There are a lot of times where you’ll have to do things on your own, but rest assured that there are people or other helpful resources at the school. I spent almost 4 years here and I like it. My experience may be different since my department is small, but I had intellectual professors and met with helpful administrators that presented me with internship & scholarship opportunities. I met some of my best friends here and have made incredible life changing memories here.

Meagan

Though anyone would or could disagree with me, Hunter College is the best college to go to, if you are willing to work hard in proving yourself to be college material. I came across this school when I was a little girl when my mother attended there before she graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Spanish Literature. I could be any prouder of having to attend a school that would not just provide me the best professors, but make me feel like I'm further seeing my future.

Alicia

Its a great school. Full of a lot activities to participate in, if you're interested. Also, some of the best advisors who try to make sure you're on the right track, as well as professors who are fantastic at helping you or giving grace periods to catch up or take a breather from work loads. The only thing bad I would say is that if you receive financial aid, be sure to fight for your money. People that they hire in bursars seem to tell you one thing then another they have no idea what they are talking about. On top of that, they expect you to not know stuff. For example, they told me there's a lot I don't know of instead of actually explaining why I am not getting TAP. For that, that woman who is Mr. Ramirez's Assistant is a total dud.. She's the reason why the school wouldn't get a great rating from me.

Razan

Hunter is pretty good depending on your department, larger departments have more support. Because this is a commuter college, the social scene here can be pretty closed off in comparison to other schools. But despite that, if you join clubs and hang around, you'll make friends. Academically, this school lets you take it as far as you want to and has well connected professors. This is a great liberal arts college even for students in the sciences, but I don't think this is the best school for ultra-competitive athletes who are considering going pro. One critique is that this college needs more classes to cater to working students like myself. Overall, the value makes it worth coming here!

Aubrey

Overall I would say that my opinion on Hunter College is somewhat mixed. While yes the academics and student interactions are above average, the campus itself is aged and in need of repairs to alleviate the inconveniences presented when going around campus. Albeit small, there are many areas for improvement in terms of the buildings themselves.

Elena

The science program in this institution does not have good professors that want to take the time to teach you. In general it is very rare to have professors that are very good at what they do and love what they do most of the professors don't really care and want you to fail. I have had more alright professors than excellent professors and I've been in the school for two years already. Hunter only really takes care of their West Building and the other buildings are more neglected looking. The school is way too overcrowded and it's a very difficult school only because of how horrible the professors are as well as the overwhelming huge class sizes in the sciences.

Yingen

Hunter College is a very comfortable space to be in with its environment suitable for students and faculties. It's easy to find someone friendly and helpful if you need something. You can always see groups of friends hanging out having good times. Diversity is always a place to learn something new.

Hunter College is a great school that offers a wide range of coursework as well as the support you need not only to successfully navigate your undergraduate career, but also to set you up to succeed in the future. Hunter College provides support through its staff and its services. Specifically, Hunter College has advisors that can assist with general questions and guide you along your academic path, and also department-specific advisors that can assist you with inquiries regarding your major or minor. Hunter College's services include its vast libraries and online databases, that you can utilize as a current student or as an alum, free of charge. There is also a Career Development Services center that can assist you with writing a professional resume, practicing for interviews, and obtaining a job or internship. Furthermore, the coursework is top notch and will both challenge you and allow you to grow as a student in your selected field. Overall, Hunter College is a great school that will support you in mastering your coursework and set you up to succeed once you graduate.

Maylee

Hunter College was my first choice when applying to college. As I finish my first semester, I realized that I made the right choice. There are so many people who are willing to help you whether they are counselors, professors, and even peers. Hunter wants you to succeed!

Alba

I love Hunter!

Bibi

It's a good school

Tabata

Hunter does not fool around with academics, courses are keen on making you leanr something before the semester ends. Being at the heart of New York City, there is various places and things to do around Hunter, that being said Hunter is not really a party nor social school.

Junia

It's okay but could be better in terms of diversity of programs when it comes to majors. For example I'm a biology major and I'm really interested in internal medicine and neuroscience. The options that come with biology majors don't particularly have anything involving that.

CUNY is your "bang for your buck" school. Sure, the school has pretty good academics, but it isn't "the best." That is indicative of the price. You good pretty good for cheap. The foreign language clubs could be better, and the professors could get their acts together. Expect nothing to be finalized until you actually go to class. I just had a class decide to change its meeting schedule a week before the class started. I have never had this happen at another university! Overall 3/5 stars.

Hunter College is placed in the heart of New York City. Walking off the 6 train you feel the energy and commotion in the air. Walking inside hunter college you are invited with Starbucks and a common space to join friends. Hunter is a busy and crowded space but everyone has their own place. I have always found a place to just relax, to work, or collaborate with classmates. Ive been in hunter for one semester but they have helped me grow into a stronger more determined student. My professors and advisors were always friendly and sent me on the right track. They have an amazing nursing program that i hope to get into soon. The environment and student body are always diverse and on the move. We all have New York City in us and keep that pace going. Hunter has made me feel welcomed and accomplished. Im proud to be a hunter college and pursue a college career there. I know that in the future i will meet more people to help me along the way and build connections. Being in manhattan is a great advantage for that. When things become too much you can just take a stroll down to Central park and unwind. Things can get stressful, but don't worry there is always someone available. Hunter College will turn into your second home.

Eva

I am currently in my 5th year of undergraduate study (I've decided to pursue graduate school quite late in my undergraduate career). Hunter lives up to the saying "you get what you pay for" in terms of the facilities; the main campus and nursing/physical therapy/dorm campus (Brookdale) are both old buildings. Some classrooms still seem to be in progress of painting, some chairs have loose seats/table tops, students have clever conversations written within the bathroom stalls, sometimes the rooms are a little too hot for a mild fall day and sometimes freezing for a slightly warmer spring day. It seems as though Hunter's budget for the lab classes are lacking. I've taken a biology lab class in BMCC and many chemistry a biology lab classes in Hunter at Brookdale, Hunter is lacking in finances for equipment considering the lab paraphernalia are outdated compared to the newer BMCC's labs. Hunter High School's students can also be found throughout Hunter College's main campus, adding to the high school-like atmosphere. The microwaves have gone missing again so no healthy meal prepped and home cooked lunches for now. I am hoping that they are either being repaired or the school is in-progress of buying a new fleet of microwaves. The trains are usually packed going to the Hunter College stop, each time period that classes are let out, you would have to wait for maybe 2 or 3 trains to pass-by before fitting on the train. That being said, Hunter is a blessing to motivated and intelligent academics of all ages due to its amazing price, faculty, and education. If extracurricular activity in schools is your thing, Hunter has a plethora of clubs, organizations, and weekly events for you to be a part of. One of the best parts about being located near the center of the city is the limitless activities you can find, "I'm bored" said no Hunter student ever. Whether you like walks in the park, eating, drinking, movies, theaters, galleries, fitness classes, shopping, arcades, board games and drinking, etc you can do it and probably even find a place to do it late into the night/early in the morning. If you are politically active, chances are, you will find a protest right outside of the Hunter West Building, whether it be a crowd of people or a crowd of post-its peacefully protesting Trump. Majority of the students in Hunter are very talented, very smart, and are driven to do something with their education. There are some who linger around the campus to make friends and some who go to class and go to work or home right after but everyone is friendly. The professors are professional, reliable, most teach well and challenge their students. As long as you meet them half way, you will learn plenty and your major professors and advisors will gladly help you find internships and give you mentorship. Lastly, there is a weightlifting room, fitness classes (yoga, zumba, spin), swimming pool, and other fitness facilities offered to students. I've been to a zumba class and I frequent the weight room, the classes are good. The weight lifting room has been revamped; there is more equipment and the layout accommodates more students. This semester, the gym is open in the mornings, closed from 1-4, and reopens from 4-9PM and you can get a good workout in either in the morning session or after 7:30 PM. One big benefit of being in a city, you can get to Hunter via bus or train (the 4,5,6,B,F,M,Q,R trains). Delicious food and coffee are all walking distance (Chipotle is a block away and Oren's Coffee/Birch Coffee/Gregory's Coffee are all within a 2 block radius). You can walk to Central Park if you have a long break between classes and chill or do your readings for classes. During finals week, the libraries do not close. Students can sleep in the library. It helps that they reconstructed the main floor and basement, adding many comfortable armchairs. The WIFI has gotten much much better, much much stronger and available throughout buildings (level 3 basement) There are beautiful "rooftop" gardens on the 8th floor of the North and West building. It is one of the best experiences of Hunter, drinking a cold brew while doing your homework on a sunny spring day on a roof overlooking the city. Lastly, thew views from the walkways/bridges connecting the North and West building has the most memorizing and unobstructed view along Lexington Avenue, from the North to the South of Manhattan. An art installment has been put up, thats nice but it partially blocks the view. There are pros and cons for every school and every student has different desires and expectations for their school. Hunter was not my first choice but it has grown on me such that I am now working hard to get into one of Hunter's highly competitive and coveted graduate programs.

David

I feel like this college would be so much better if their advisory system were a little better. Most of the advisors are pretty subpar at best and aren't helpful at all. In fact, it normally feels like their main goal is to prevent you from graduating for as long as possible. The financial aid system is also pretty unhelpful, and consistently waste time and try to give you the runaround. There are a lot of good things about this school; the diversity, the clubs, the extracurriculars, and the view. However, it's held back by the ridiculously bad advisory system in place.

Brianna

Great school for serious students, there to learn. Participation is encouraged and the facility is normally open to their students at all hours. The library is a great resource. there are tons of clubs to get involved in. The professors have your best interest in mind. However, the classrooms are old in some buildings. The gym is awful and the hours are short. It is tiny.

Jassette

Hunter College is a great school; it is not a 'party school' thus it helps students focus on their education. I personally like the fact that Hunter is composed of professors who are available and willing to answer any questions and their facilities are great as well.

Isly

I have bittersweet feeling about Hunter. I applied knowing that this was my ideal school and was ecstatic when I was accepted. What makes Hunter so great is that the unexpected opportunities that come from the real, outside world. Most universities are their own bubble community. Because Hunter is located in central Manhattan, it has many professors who come from accredited institutions in the city, some of the best in the world, and therefore I have gotten amazing opportunities for internships and jobs through my professors. That being said, if one is looking for a party school or a nice close campus life, you will not find that here. Hunter is a commuter school, most people attending live all around the metropolitan NYC area. So if you are looking for a straight forward college, primarily for the purpose of schooling and career advancement, Hunter is for you.

Joysree

Hunter is one of the greatest, affordable CUNY colleges a person seeking to pursue a career can ever go to. What I admire about the college (and all CUNY colleges for that matter) is the fact that Hunter accepts college credits. I graduated from a high school where I was able to take college-level classes at York College and actually earn credits---at no cost! Hunter accepted nearly 50 of the 60 credits I managed to gain from my high school years. This, of course, saved me significant time and a whole load of money at Hunter which means a lot to me especially because I am a first-generation college student. Now I only have to go to the college for two years instead of the traditional 4-year time span. Additionally, the faculty and other staff members are very helpful, patient, and courteous. They make sure you understand something and explain everything so meticulously. My only complaint is that I wish there was a discount on food for students.

Audrey

The environment is very relaxing at times but sometimes many people seem to be very tense with their school work. Every student is very open minded and are always friendly. When it comes to professors, some professors may not be friendly but it is like any other schools.

Matthew

It is small and only consists of four buildings connected by sky bridges. However, this isn't such a bad thing as many of the classes are held in regular classroom. This is also very safe as you don't ever have to go outside thank to the sky bridges. You can even enter the subway safely through their subway entrance. But, should you ever want to go outside there are three terraces you can sit in to enjoy 8 story views of the city. Dorms are like 30 streets away but the commute to Hunter is easy. The community is a bit weak as people tend to spend their time in here studying and working, especially in the east building which is like 10 floors of library/study hall. Lots of resources accessible, food is diverse and healthy, a very diverse student population. Any chance of socialization or partying usually happens outside off campus as you part take in the nightlife of a New Yorker.

Roscely

I LOVE IT !

Beatrice

It sucks. The quality of education is terrible, the professors don't speak English for the most part. I don't feel like I learned anything useful. I only went to this awful school because I had a full scholarship and my parents wouldn't cosign my loans so I could go elsewhere. The students are awful because there is no human interaction or social life. If you graduate with a degree from this school it is completely useless, good luck finding job. There are no internship opportunities or clubs that you can join. The classes here are bullshit, you won't learn anything. I hate Hunter College.

Nona

Hunter is amazing, the students are bright and fun. The classes are very interesting and engaging, the rooms are big and equipped with modern technology. The professors and TA's are knowledgeable and dedicated to their students and work. My professors are very fun and interesting people to talk to.

Myesha

Hunter is a college that provides many opportunities for it's students. Surrounding Hunter is a wide array of shops, such as Sephora, Bamboo Sushi, and Chatime. If you do happen to come by Bamboo Sushi or any of the other Japanese restaurants, you have to try out the shrimp tempuras and of course the sushi. There's even Central Park and St. Patrick's Cathedral nearby Hunter. Because of public transportation, you can go sightseeing at multiple museums and try various cuisines throughout Manhattan. While the college campus may not be as full of nature as CCNY's campus, Hunter's campus IS the City. The faculty is helpful and so are most professors. People are very friendly here, but conversations are ephemeral. Hunter has a large population, so the escalators can get congested. The education provided is very good for a city college. The facilities are good and the place isn't too difficult to navigate through after a few days of attending the college.

Fabiha

CUNY Hunter College is a very well rounded college. The libraries of CUNY Hunter College is just amazing. They have almost every databases that a student could possibly need. CUNY Hunter College also have a lot of facilities and opportunities where we can fulfill our academic needs. CUNY Hunter College is also very passionate about its Student's career goals.

Hunter College is a great school for its price. The school is located in a great neighborhood and there are plenty of options of transportation and eateries available. It is not your average campus, but the school offers many resources that has shaped me into the individual I am today. Although Hunter College is a great option for those hoping to stay locally and minimize loans, the school is very large in terms of the class body. Due to the large class sizes, there aren't enough student to faculty/professor interactions. The only time most students can have a one-on-one with professors are during their office hours. Unfortunately, most working students don't have the same chance to meet with professors during office hours due to work obligations.

Nowrin

Its an amazing place to learn not only in academics but also about yourself. It allows you to grow and think for yourself. Its a place full of life and people that you can relate to. The professors are great and the classrooms are always filled with intellect. Its one of the best in the science field in the CUNY.

Nowrin

genesis

Respectful Campus filled with amazing recourse for learning. All the students rely on each other and all the staff are always available when needed. Campus is very easy to get to for those students who live off campus. Transportation is also easy and available.

Arnoldo

I think it is a decent school if all you care about is learning about what you are interested in. Teachers are understanding and for the most part very helpful. There are some bad apples but no such thing as perfect.

Melissa

I love Hunter, my advisor really helped me through out my whole time there. I feel that the professors are amazing and I have a lot of favorite ones at Hunter. The psychology classes were interesting. There was always something to do at Hunter and I wished I would have taken adavantage of their extra curricular activities while I was there.

Aamna

If you’re someone who likes the city life, and a lot of interactive than Hunter is the school for you.

Kristen

A lot of people don't like Hunter, and that's fair. It really depends on if you are looking for the stereotypical "college experience." Hunter suffers from things most colleges suffer from, but in a more prevalent way. Slow, unhelpful administration, and poor facilities/campus are the main things. Personally, I don't mind these things so much because the quality of education is more important to me, and I can say I have had quality professors and very interesting classes for a good value. It really is a "your mileage may vary" school.

Christina

Hunter College is a very diverse place. It is full of opportunities and resources for the students who seek them. It had helped me to become the strong young woman that I am today through the various challenging classes that I have survived and the strong relationships that I have formed throughout the way.