CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice

it is a commuter school so everyone comes and goes as soon as classes end. There are only academic clubs and not enough lesuire based clubs. There is not a lot of social life in school. However there are many career based opportunities.

Ravyn

I do believe the school has some room for improvement but so far they have been keeping up with communications during this difficult time. I do believe that the faculty does push students to become more involved and connected with each other. I do enjoy my time so far and I can't wait till the year really kicks off

Brianna

John Jay is an amazing school that makes me feel safe , comfortable & welcomed. I feel connected to my teachers & feel if I ever need to get in contact with them I can. The campus is so cozy & makes it comfortable for me to be here. Campus food is great as well.

Karim

It a very diverse and caring community which I feel best suits me to my dream career as a representative and would not consider any other place. Many students I seen on this campus have different views and concerns on man things in politics and I have seen so much activism especially when walking through the front door.

Melanie

Cuny is an overall great school. Nothing is better than the fact that most/all students have the same or similar mindset and goal as well as interest in the same field! The professors are well experienced, educated and polite as well. The campus is beautiful, safe, full of relatable and helpful students.

Laiba

Amazing amazing teachers who are always available and always willing to work with you towards a bright future. Such a blessing to be here!

Lindsay

A great school that make anyone feel welcome no matter your background. I've never had any issue with anything or anyone in this school. Everyone is really chill and just focused on doing the best they can in school while also having fun. No issues with this school.

Amia

I love everything about John Jay. They have so much to offer. it is a Good school, it is what you make of it. it is not easy work but you have to work for the best grades. Don't bother if you are lazy or don't like doing home work/essays everyday. The professors are also great and are highly educated.

Fredericka

In my opinion, John Jay is one of the best colleges in NYC. Need help? You got it. Need a friend? You got it. Its like a big family once you get to know people. And if you are an athlete, John Jay is the play for you. Joining a team, they become your family in the little time you know them. The help that students athletes receive is amazing. But be advised USE RATE MY PROFESSOR before registering for classes.

mariah

John Jay is a great school for law.

Cm

Great value for money and great quality. The focus on justice as a core value also provides for a holistic education, cultivating not only expertise in their chosen field but also compassion and empathy, which leads to perceptive thinking. I have no regrets attending this college.

marleny

awesome, i am very proud to be part of you guys, thanks for welcoming. since i star colleague i worked very hard to get in there, and finally i am with you guys. the place its like a movie, really huge, the food its awesome and little expensive, the personal are very helpful. thanks.

Antigona

John Jay College of Criminal Justice is a great school. Professors really work with students to help bring the best out of their academic career. The university also administers many events for students, such as peer mentoring, career fairs, you name it!

Yaritma

It is a great school to attend and is not all about criminal justice but we do fight against injustices.

Michelle

John Jay College is a very safe and protected facility. The security is very tight and strict but nice. John Jay has an outstanding character when it comes to advising, educating and informing students and parents. They are very on top of making sure the message gets across, as thoroughly as possible. Also, proficient with having a translator. They mean business at this school, but with a side of fun, like during events they plan for alumni and family. John Jay is an amazing school to, at least, visit.

Islam

John Jay is a decent school that allows you to achieve many things. John Jay can help you to be successful. The school is very safe. Everyone goes their own way but there is always someone there to help you out. I have no negative comments for the school.

Shelby

I am in love with the college. I moved from the west coast, and so far have loved the lifestyle of the college. There is an incredible things about being with people and professors who love and care for the material they are teaching. Everyday is something different; there are times the material is challenging but to me this is something I love.

I enjoy going to this school not only is it a school focused on my profession but the amount of student body support that faculty & other students provide is truly inspiring. There is never a day where we don't take action against an injustice. I am proud to go here!

Katherine

it is a school that encourages fierce advocacy of justice, something I am very passionate about.

Haley

John Jay is a great school. I came in as a transfer student and met so many new friends and classmates. The professors are very helpful and care for each and every student. They are always there to help you in and out of class. One of my favorite parts in being in the center of Manhattan.

Kevin

Very affordable with a great teacher student ratio. great food and anew campus with some outdoor space. It is the heart of the city so any outdoor space is rare. Campus life may be higher than what I rated it to be. I'm a business owner that goes only at night.

Marie-Grace

I have been in CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice for over 3 years now and is currently enrolled as an Undergraduate student. I have had a great experience so far in John Jay. Out of all the CUNY's in New York City, John Jay is one of the best colleges allow students to be involved on campus. We have a community hour every school day and have growing amount of club and events every day that we encourage students to be part of. John Jay also has a strong Student Government that represents that student of the school, and work hard all year round.

Danielle

I can honestly say that I have never had a professor as CUNY John Jay that I did not absolutely love! They all will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and that you are learning. The campus is amazing because it is right in the middle of New York City! No matter what your preferences are or what type of activities you are into, there is always something for everyone.

clemente

Great college and friendly people to feel comfortable around. I enjoy coming to school and learning new facts everyday. The college helps people who need and want help. The professors care about students and want to make sure they learn the material needed to pass the course.

Chalcedony

I love the fact that John jay offers many majors that specialize in the Law/Law enforcement field and is not limited to only pre-law and criminal justice. I also like the fact that they have a close relationship with the NYPD which allows those interested in being Police Officers or apart of the force get a headstart. I also like the atmosphere. There is this sense of focus and dedication from both the staff and students as well, as still this relaxed sense. sometimes, they do take a while to update the student on either financial aid or classes, but other than that, they are pretty quick on getting you information or directing you to someone who can help. Overall, this is a good school for those interested in law enforcement as well as those who want to experience NYC but on a budget.

Josefina

John Jay is an excellent College because It brings hope and make sure that everyone is getting their education and the Professors make sure that everyone is getting has much help as they can. Also at John Jay they have so many resources for everyone to get has much help as they need. If you need help with writing, reading, math and science they have people that can help them even when the Professor can't at that time, you know that you have someone else that can help.

Kisan

I would say that John Jay is a fun place to be around, and a great place to get an education. Regardless if you want to go into law enforcement or not, getting your education here is worth it. Being a CUNY school it is way cheaper than your standard Ivy League school, but getting your education here is also worth it because you’ll be in a great atmosphere with great people. JJ is so worth it!!

Shiny

I enjoyed my experience at John Jay--I learned a lot from my professors and classes.

Victor

Overall, as an incoming freshman, this school has a lot to offer and one of the best modern colleges in the nation. I would totally recommend this college to everyone looking to travel abroad or study any criminal justice majors. In addition, the students here a very social and has a very diverse student body. Transportation here is easy however parking could be a hassel.

John Jay College of Criminal Justice has a diverse group of professors with backgrounds that span a wide range of areas within the criminal justice field. The campus is beautiful and the wide selection of degree programs make this school a winner within CUNY. If you are seeking a school that reflects the diverse world we live in and have a passion for social justice, apply to JJC. It is a safe space for you to gain knowledge about your academic field and also challenge your overall thinking about concepts, cultures, and society as a whole—so you can rise up and be the future leader our world so desperately needs.

Jamie

My overall opinion of john jay college I like it I like the environment and what I like most of it my father went to john jay over 20 years ago.

April

I Love It!

Tiffany

John Jay is a great college. From morning to night it is always full of life, even if students go the lounges to sleep before work or have study groups.

Johanne

CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice is a school where everyone feels safe and can get a great education from knowledgable professors. Students from all around the world have their eye on John Jay as it is the only school in the world fully dedicated to criminal justice. Students have a thirst for knowledge and are excited to gain more. Throughout the past year especially, John jay has had an overwhelming amount of students wanting to protest for what they believe in and their personal rights. There is never a day that goes by where you wont find someone trying to make a difference in the world.

Alicia

John jay college of criminal justice has a positive and live atmosphere. The professors have a lot of experience in the subject they teach and they know how to talk to the students to help them understand. The professors are always there to help you succeed and the students are always there so you don't feel alone.

Idalis

Overall, I think the school is good if you're looking for specific majors. I think that the advisors should be better and more personalized. Most of the professors I've had at least did genuinely care about their students and wanted to them to succeed. I more so believe that the advisement can be much better as said previous, they mostly just want you in and out within a few minutes. Most classes are great, and it's up to you the student in order to get things done in order to graduate. All in all, it's a good school to get your degree in.

Tezhane

A great school that makes everyone feel welcome to learning new things and providing better opportunities.

Giovanni

It's a very diverse and well-bred school with a few issues here and there. It's issues lies within the teaching strategies with the professors. They either teach too fast or teach too slow. There is no median between these professors which is something that irks me.

kerstyne

It's fine. Just need to get adjusted to college life in the city. I just wished it had more programs to help students. Like for scholarships and jobs. The school over is fine. But the food is definitely something I stay away from. so overall I can't complain because college is all the same.

Mariah

John Jay is an institution that is dedicated to creating advocates of justice. The education that I have received here has allowed me to expand my intellect and form opinions about the criminal justice system that are founded in scientific evidence rather than pop culture. My only concern is John Jay's failure to properly inform and prepare their students for graduate school, many students decide to attend graduate school during their senior year and at that point it is too late to properly prepare. In the future, I would like to see John Jay hold a class that could fulfill a course requirement where options and careers are discussed.

Melina

A great environment and amazing professors to learn from. My favorite place on campus is the Jay walk because I can meditate, eat, play, read or hold conversations and I think John Jay thinks a lot about their student wellness and offers a great service.

Kainat

John Jay College has plenty of opportunities for students who are interested in careers related to criminal justice such as the police force and the law field. Professors are devoted into giving their students a valuable education, and they stimulate interesting and intellectual conversations in the classroom.

Gabriella

I believe John Jay is a gateway of opportunity. We have students who are at the top of the line always giving their best if not more. The idea is to continue to push through and succeed and John Jay allows the doors to open in embedding the steps to you’re future. Both faculty and students are a pleasure to be around and John Jay is a wonderful and organized campus to be at.

Romareo

My overall opinion of CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice is excellent. John Jay is the perfect college to attend for individuals seeking a career in criminal justice, law, or government. The graduate program is also very competitive and provides numerous resources that will assist students looking for job opportunities in their desired fields of interests.

SUMBAL

John Jay College is one the best college in New York. I prepared myself since high school to come to this college and I'm glad that I made it. It's my last year and I feel like it went pretty fast. I enjoyed being on campus and I felt safe.

justyna

Most time, is was a hit or miss with professors. Either they were extremely involved with their students and did everything to help and advance them, or they absolutely hated the classrooms and were there just to do their job. As a CUNY, administration is not so great, there is always issues with filing forms and classes and registration, and that’s almost for everyone I knew. Student services are good, but because it is a largely populated campus and a commuter school— there’s not really one advisor you stick to during your years there. The academics and academic opportunities are great. Loads of research experience to be done and independent studies available along with internships. There’s an amazing diverse culture too and everyone respects each other. Community is key in this type of school.

John Jay is great campus, that has professors that really try to help you succeed. They will push you because they see the potential us students have. The campus is a decent size with classes on average being around 20-25 students from my experience. The campus has elevators and escalators but has a tendency to turn off the escalators when power outage in the city is at a high risk. If you are in to shows/movies, john jay has film crews and movies and shows that rent out the space for filming which students have opportunities to be a part of.

Julie

I appreciated the opportunity to learn from leaders in the field, professors with a cache of experience. However I feel there could have been greater support from advisors, and we were left to find externship opportunities on our own with little guidance. he location is great and facilities are nice, but I do not feel I graduated well-prepared to work in my field.

The school is great and offers a variety of programs, counseling, etc perfect for pursuing your future career goals. Professors are always understanding and want their students to succeed as much possible. You will find the most amazing and unselfish people in this campus all encouraging you to pursue your dream career.

Shady

The school is very good, it’s up to date in architecture and environment it does not feel or is outdated. Bathrooms are nice and clean, unlike other colleges I have been to. The classrooms are always clean there’s no broken furnitures, we have a starbucks inside the building, besides a huge modern cafeteria with a wide variety of foods. Unlike other colleges, our gym, pool and tennis field are 100% functional and active, students used them frequently which is a plus, since we can save money and not have to pay a membership in some gym. Classes and professors always vary across all colleges, that is something you have to decide which class to get into depending on the professor who is going to teach it, try to find feedbacks in websites like ratemyprofessor.com and you will be fine, everyone picks professors and classes depending on what you need.