CUNY Kingsborough Community College

« See more reviews of CUNY Kingsborough Community College

If I change back the hands of time and have a "heart to heart" with myself as a high school senior, I would want to emphasis the importance of mannerisms. Attending college calls for a "behavior" check as it is a leap into adulthood and rebellious ways don't flourish in a formal setting. Also, punctuality which becomes crucial . Majority of professors begin lecturing after the roster is called and there's a chance of missing out on exam question hints before the date. Being in a higher education environment, means greater and advanced workload. Time management is essential with the many pages of numerous papers to write, endless studying and reading for courses on top of the long, exhausting work hours. Lastly, don't be ashamed to express your confusion if you can't comprehend the material. Instructors will automatically assume you understand and move on fairly quickly. There are centers on campus with helpful tutors to aid you on courses. In the book “Religious Meditations of Heresis”, Sir Francis Bacon had stated that “Knowledge is power”. Indeed it is. Goodluck.

You are looking around right now and trying to decide what you would like to do with your life. Of course, everyone expects you to go to college, but you are having trouble imagining what you would like to do for the next 40 years. Relax. Don't rush into anything. College isn't just about getting a degree and heading out into the world. It is a time to learn about yourself and grow as a person. Don't just tackle the required classes, look around at other majors, and If you see something that interests you, then take it. Have fun, but not too much fun. Work hard, but not too hard. Take things in moderation, especially moderation. Don't be afraid to ask those around you for help. It is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of strength. Be flexible and willing to adapt. Surround yourself with people who share your ideals and beware of those who have too much free time. Just don't worry so much. I can tell you, things work out great. Just brush your teeth and you will be fine. And show up for class. Much love.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, the advice I would give myself is to actually have the patience attend all of my classes and stay in school. I was a young teenage and like any other teenager I wanted to have fun. However, in the intention to have fun, I have made some wrong choices. I would leave school mid-day just hang out with friends. This way I lost track of my studies and forgot the path I needed to walk upon. College life has taught me a few things, such as time management, and attending lectures and paying attention to what I want to achieve. College is a new cycle of life and its a place where you have to worry about getting your work done on your own, because no professor or advisor will run behind you to tell you what you need to do. I would have advised myself that I need to stand upon my own feet and know what I my goals actually are and work my way in accomplishing those goals.

If I could go back and talk to myself when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to be fully prepared for college. Start applying to schools as early as possible and search for any scholarships available. Having a college advisor would be extremely helpful. You should have a general idea of what major or minor you are interested in and pursue it. Be sure to take classes from other fields, so you can rule out any other interests you have and assure yourself of the major you chose. Go to a ethnically diverse college and socialize enough to network. Get involved in clubs and organizations that would be fun for you. It will help you make friends and also put an ease to all the work you will be doing. Just make sure and concentrate on your classes and work. Always put 110% of effort inot your work to guarantee a grade you will be very proud of. College isn't easy, nor is it hard. You just have to work for what you want.

"Hms. What colleges should I apply to? Well, I would like to do pharmacy but I'm afraid that I won't have the money to pay for the tuition at Long Island Universary or St. Johns Universary. Maybe I could major in Business Finance where I don't have to deal with paying back so much loans since I'm on my own on this. But the economy isn't do so well and pharmacy seems more like a recession proof occupation. Just because I'm going to have to pay a lot of money for tuition now, it's also a way where I am investing for my future. Why would I let the word "loans" scare me off in doing something I want. If I do pharmacy, I would probably be able to pay off my college loans within two or three years after I graduate. I just have to study hard and be the best out of the best! I can do this! I just need to manage my time and be wise about spending and everything will turn out great!"

During my college experience I learned many things about the real world that I probably wouldn't have known if I had not gone. I learned how to interact with people that came from different parts of the world, teamwork, different outlooks on life, and the stuggles of paying for college. It has been valuable to attend because it opened up new opportunities to me that I wouldn't have previously got. My professors were great. They did not only teach me about their course, but they also taught me about life. During highschool I was shy and kept to myself, but after i got into college I became more open and better at expressing myself. Not everyone has the opportunity to go to college and I am greatful that I became a part of an environment that helped me grow. If it was not for college I would've found myself in many difficult situations and a job I would not have wanted.

When I first decided to go to a community college I thought it was the perfect solution to a conflict of interest between my parents and me. Only now that I look back on it I wish that I hadn't gone with my choice. Every night I think about what my life would be like right now if I had gone with what my heart and mind hoped/wished for. Right now there is only one thing in my mind that I would say to myself if I could go back and talk to myself. I would look into my eyes and not just tell myself to but demand that I follow my dreams and not someone elses. I'd say go off and become the next Queen of Baking, which is what I hope to do now. My future self would do battle with my past self until I chose to do what I should have originally done, because then maybe the transition into college would have been easier and more enjoyable!!

If i can go back to my senior year in high school, the first thing I would advice myself to do is ask myself if I am ready for a college commitment. After all the horrible things that happened in my senior year, I made the mistake by jumping into college without being prepared and I was forced to drop out. I did return to college the following semester. I would also advice myself not to take classes before 1pm because I am not a morning person. College is very different from high school. I should also advice myself that studying the day before an exam, like i did in high school is not the best idea for a college midterm. I would let myself know that college is fun, and very nice because you get a lot of independance, but it requires a lot of dedication.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself that college life is what you make it. I would tell myself to get into the habit of studying on a daily basis, prepare myself for long papers, and a diet full of Ramen Noodles. I would also tell myself that it is harder in highschool, than in college. Another piece of advive would be, that college life could be really fun if I applied myself to everything that I put my mind to. It is up to myself to make the grade, no one is going to be lenient in college, as they are in highschool. One last piece of advice that I would give myself would be, go into college with a can do attitude, and prepare for the best years of my life.

I think the only advice that I would want to give myself, would be that I should take advantage of all the opportunities that come my way, as well as making sure to prioritize the way in which I manage my time. I feel that during my transition aspect of college I did a bad job in prioritizing my life, as well as all the projects that I needed to do. I have learned now to some extent to prioritize, but I think if I had started earlier I would be more prioritized then I am at this current moment. AS for the opportunities offered to me, I have had so many opportunities that have come my way; I regret not taking advantage of many of them. I know that in the near future I will not make this same mistake again.