Long Island City, NY
CUNY LaGuardia Community College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY LaGuardia Community College

Jeremy

LaGuardia Community College is willing to support students who seek a second chance in their life. It helps students get familiar in their professional field by making a semester-long internship a requirement. The education is better than most Community Colleges and offers many honors courses for those who are eager to learn more.

You should attend this school if you have a dream school you really want to attend, but feel like you need to wait for two years for whatever reason (financial issues, grades in High School, etc.). The professors and the Honors Society supports students throughout the year to help with their transfer applications. The transfer rate from LaGuardia Community College is three times the national average, and it is open to anyone who desires a second chance in their lives.

katy

Great Diversity. The relationship between faculty and students are very close. But the campus is located in long island city. Sometimes, I find it over-crowded. I'm involving honor student advisory community where you can find encouragements from peers and great network. The honors classes are taught by dedicated faculty that you could be well-equipped for your future plans like transfers to prestigious schools, ivies. the best part of the school is the low tuition. You can always transfer to 4 year college while saving up a lot of money during the first two years of school.

We have diff. ethnic clubs. Most students come from queens, new york.

honestly, some students don't care much about study. I always see students or even faculty smoke outside of the school.

Ana

If I could go back in time I would gladly advise, even admonish myself to study nursing.

The school is quite good, however, for some students who prefer a four year college this college is only a two year community college.

Someone who should not attend this school is someone not motivated to apply themselves to the very best of his/her capacity to achieve a good education.

Nathaniel

There are many things I would tell myself if able to go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school. One thing I believe would be most important to discuss would be scholarships. I would give myself advice on how important and beneficial scholarships can be to help fund a post secondary education. This is one thing people did not talk much about to me. In addition to scholarships I would urge myself to get involved in some extracurricular activities like student counsel or off site volunteering. These activities would have provided me with community awareness and supported any future leadership efforts. Volunteering is a great way to be a leader by showing others how they can help in their community. By volunteering a student can help themselves become self sufficient by taking matters into their own hands. Volunteering can also provide one with a requirement for many scholarships. College flows smoother when you have financial support because you are allowed to focus on your studies. By having initial scholarship awareness I could save more time for school work and studies.

Marcelo

My school is best known for the most diverse multi-national community college in the world. There are individuals from almost every nation in the world. Students of a certain country can relate to one another easier. In my communnity college there are many international students who work hard as individuals who are US born. The main idea is that no one should underestimate the student body of any college that has a reputation for being diverse. One can learn stories from one another and have a good conversation. Every one in this community college is friendly and warm.

Marcelo, you have to stop doing what you're doing and go home or a library and start getting ahead by reading books that interest you really. Dont have a goal that you're going to make a lot of money but make goals that gives you passion. Start narrowing down what you want to do in life. Participate in any summer programs and start being realistically. Be real to yourself.

A typical two-year community college is for two years, it can be short. When you're taking hard classes like Calculus, and Physics in a six week semester, it might be nearly impossible to get A's on both classes. Time is its worst attribute. In a regular 12 week semester, it seems that it will take forever to end. When its near the end students would have to study everything all at once to get ttheir best grades. A good idea is to extend their main session to 18 weeks instead of 12.

Tasha

If i could speak to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to, as the cliche goes, ' put myself out there'. College is a wonderful opportunity to build leadership skills and make long lasting connections with peers and organizations. I would advise myself to take every opportunity presented and learn from the experiences. As a college student now, my one regret is not being more involved in my college and I feel I am now playing 'catch up'. I would advise my young self to participate and be an active member of campus and join many groups because, in the end, these groups helps lead to academic excellence. It is in these campus activities one really learns and builds character. Learning from peers and mentors outside of the class room helps strengthen your academic goals and life inside the classroom. I would advice my high school self to be more open to these opportunities.

The best aspect of my school, without a doubt, would be its technology . Classrooms are "smart" classrooms equipped with computers and projectors. Black board is implemented throughout our course work and we have the chance to use Power Point in our presentations. We have fully equipped computer labs. Not only is it convenient but considerate to those who may not have computers at home.The labs are always open and ready for when one forgets to print out their assignment that is dude in five minutes. Staff is always available to help those who are not computer savvy.

When I talk about my college, LaGuardia Community College, I usually praise the diversity my school holds and the positive atmosphere it brings to the classroom. Each class is quite unique in it's demographic. One class i could be surrounded by several persons from different parts of the world and different age groups. This is essential for a learning environment. We all have different life circumstances . This brings interesting POVS to the table and broadens the learning experience. By the end of a semester one will find the diversity binds us students in a way no other outlet could.

Kate

I am a night student at LaGuardia and my classmates are a mixture of ethnicities from all over the world, who attend night classes because of their busy schedules due to being a part of the working class.

While in high school I was not the honor role student my parents wished I would be, rarely got good grades and if I passed it was barely cutting it. You can say I was lazy, I call it my friends and of course bad judgment. I started hanging out with the wrong crowd and doing things that I knew were wrong but did anyway, just to fit. It wasn?t until reality struck that I got my act together. After watching if not all at least half of my friends become teenage mothers, end up in jail or even worse dead of something as meaningless as drugs I can honestly say I changed. I decided to get my life back on track, take control, and become the woman I knew my mother would one day be proud of. I graduated high school, not with the best grades but I did and then enrolled into college. If I could change anything in life it would most certainly be being more dedicated in high school. I wish I would have taken my education more seriously and as a result I would have been able to obtain for being an honor student.

LaGuardia has a large number of students currently registered because of the school affordable tuition rate, therefore when in need of assistance the lines are very long and students like myself often become impatient with the wait time in order to get help on a particular matter.

Christina

LaGuardia is one of the most diverse community colleges in the country, and has a reputation as one of the best community colleges in the country. They teach students from over 160 different countries.

When I graduated from LaGuardia High School (different from the college), I was majoring in instrumental music, but I knew I didn't want to continue with it. I didn't want to go to college at all; not right away. I wanted to take a semester's break. I was pressured into entering Brooklyn College by my mother, who had not gone to college and got a job straight out of high school. This proved not to work well for me, as I ended up quitting anyway. I think the one thing I would tell my high school self would be to listen to her and not worry so much about being unsure of what to do. Just rack up the required credits and explore. Right now, I'm working full-time and attending school, and it's so much harder than things would have been back then. I want nothing more than to be able to quit my job and focus solely on school, because doing both is exhausting, but I can't do that. The message I have for my former self: It's not as bad as you think. Relax. Just do it.

I actually entered college almost ten years ago in 2000, and I ended up dropping out because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I got a job as a secretary and have been miserable for the last six years, when I could have just focused on doing what I liked, even though I wasn't sure if I was good enough at the time--drawing. That is what I wish I had known before coming here. I wish I had focused on what I wanted and not what everyone else wanted.

Tanya

Being in college I learned so much information other than what I was told in high school. If I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to do all kinds of research on any school I may be considering. The reason I would tell myself that is because, if a person is going to go to college they should know what that school is going to offer them in and out of the class room. They should know how that college stands academically, the type of activities they offer out of the class rooms, also the type of recourses that are available to the students. If I knew this information when I was still a high school senior I would have chosen my college wisely because college is not all work plus it is refreshing to know that there is always someone there to answer any question or concerns I may have.

Attending LaGuardia Community College the best thing I consider about this school is the unlimited resources that is available to the students in order to reach the academic goals, there is always a staff member willing to guide you to success.

When telling my friends about my school I brag about how beautiful and well kept the campus is, and how dedicated the faculty is in helping the students.

Lara

My school is lively, friendly, invovled, and career driven.

My school is lively, friendly, invovled, and career driven.

Several instances from my school years I would possibly do over. I could have been more involved in extracurricular activities, made a better decision on my college choice, or pursued a different degree, which would have provided me with better job opportunities. However, my choice would not be to do over any moment throughout my years in school. I believe the choices I made in the past have given me knowledge to make better judgments for my future. Sometimes I think back on decisions I made as poor choices, and would question myself what if I chose differently; would the outcomes be better or worse? I cannot change what has been determined, and I do not regret past events. I can use those poor choices and turn them into good alternatives. If I wanted to be more involved in the community I can volunteer, or further myself in my career goals I can continue my education. I have learned to stay focused on my ambitions I want to achieve in life, and keep a positive outlook. Events I experienced from school I use them as reflections of my life, and hope to continue to learn from the choices I make.

Lack of communication and advisement. Myself and several other students I know, we constantly have to stay on top of school administration, financial aid, registration, and sometimes even the professors, to find out important things we need or should know. Such as classes to take for the following semester, school bills, and contact information.

CUNY LaGuardia Community College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.