Brooklyn, NY
CUNY New York City College of Technology

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY New York City College of Technology

Mir

College is once in a lifetimeoppurtunity work more hard and succeed.

The walking Distance between different school buildings and the problems with the cafeteria.

daniel

well, as an alumni of NYCCT, i would say i have the best college experience in the school. the school has diversity of people from all round the world. one of the things i like most about the school is that there are dedicated faculties who strive day and night for the students to succeed. the school size is on the average, not the biggest nor the smallest. but its definitely a school that have raised professional, men and women of integrity.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

someone recommended the school to me when i was searching for college to attend...he was an alumni of the school many years ago...then the school was called NYC technical college.

we have the student govt association, the honors scholars society, american society of civil engineers, architecture club and many more. i was a member of the honors scholars society and the america society of civil engineers while i was still a student, now i m only a member of those groups in the national level. the athletic department at the school are always doing their best each season, they compete in both conference games and the NCAA games as well. i was in the men's tennis team. it was a great experience. even though athletic was important, yet student educational success was more important.

academic performance at NYCCT is very high. most professors knows the name of the students in class either the student first or last name, which ever is easier to remember. most student i knew always study together especially in my major department. my favorite class was building service system (construction mgmt tech dept course) and my least favorite was college physic1. class participation and group study was always encouraged in all the classes i took. i was majoring in construction mgmt tech. under civil engineering and construction mgmt department. my major was a unique one which was not available in most cuny school. it was challenging as well. a lot of work, both in the class and field.

Felicia

My school's size is just right, when I tell people that I attend the college they don't really have a negative response. Just a few might say that they don't think everyone goes their for educational purposes. Well I spend most of my time in the tutoring room. Overall like any other school it as it's good and bad.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

Yes I do, because it's a cold world out there. You have to grow up very fast, people who say they are your friends may not be. However, you do have wonderful people out there just that sometimes they are hard to find because life may have you all over the place.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

As often has one can. There will be lonely days and you don't want you family think you only know them on those days. So keep a balance with family and friends. It helps in the long run.

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

No, I don't drink and it doesn't stop me from hanging out. You just have to stand for what you believe in, once you do people will respect you.

What do people really wear to class?

Students wear anything, a few of them don't even care. They even wear pj's at times.

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is finding your way in school. Wondering if your going to meet anyone, you just don't know what's going happen.

I wish someone would have told me that not a lot of students are friendly. So you have to grow up real fast, because some students don't feel like they should help you in any way.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend for me is just work and go out with a few of my friends if i'm not out of it from working all day.

When you step off campus what do you see?

When I step off campus, I step in the heart of Brooklyn. You can find anything you need from the stores and different restaurants to public transportation to get to where you need to go.

I get along with everyone, I don't think you should judge someone off their background. I think a student that's not wearing the "latest outfits" would feel out of place. Most of the students I see on campus wear party attire, at times I wonder if their actually coming to school.

You have excellent students and then you have non-excellent students. The professors that I had so far do make it their point of duty to know their students' names. The classes that I had those batch of students had wonderful personalities so no one felt uncomfortable to participate in class activities.

Simo

One of the things I am very happy about is the fact that most of the professors I have had knew my name. I really appreaciated my stastics class; for me the most challenging because my professor made us work very hard. She had a system allowing any students to obtain a good grade but only if you worked hard for. Personnally I have a very regular study plan. I do not know how others study, but I noticed that class participation is common. While some students have intellectual conversations about politics, careers, or researches, others may talk about other topics. Students are very competitive particularly when they are already in their programs (nursing, vision care, radio technicians,...) The departement of liberal art is very organized and professors are very open and allow students to speak with them during their office hours. They really listen to students and always try to answer your concerns. The academic requirements are manageable and for sure you can have a good job if you graduate from this school.

Unalissa

I work as a peer mentor at the New Community College at CUNY, and during the interview, they asked all the applicants this very question. I will answer the same way I answered then. I would really have to give the high school me a good talking to, because there was so much that my high school did not prepare me for in college. The most important was time management; during high school I thought I was very good at time management because I was on the high honor roll, I was a student athlete, I was a part of several organizations both at school and at church. But life in high school is structured so that you inevitably get all these things done. I would warn my high school self that time management is more than just showing up to classes on time but it is about figuring out and structuring your life so that you not only have time to get all your daily tasks accomplished, but you also have time for personal betterment, building your career and working on creating the life you want. Try fitting all that into one day without excellent time management skills.

The best thing about City Tech is that there are a few good, dedicated and caring teachers. Unfortunately many of the faculty and staff either don't care about the students or they simply can't teach, which makes learning a difficult process. But with the bad comes the good, and the good is that when you find a good teacher, they are really caring and making the learning process enjoyable!

The most frustrating thing about City Tech, is their bureaucracy! There is always so much red tape to go through when trying to fix a problem. Every department only knows the information in their own department and they have no idea what is going on outside their doors. This is extremely frustrating because none of the departments communicate, so when there is something to be done that involves two departments, you must go to each department and verify things through email or writing. So instead of a simple phone call or stamp to confirm something, there is a long delay.

Ediza

I like the school. Many of the students do not take full advantage of everything the school offers but there is a lot of support available for us. We have computer access available in multiple labs, a great library, counselors and wonderful administrative staff.

There is a stereotype that students are uneducated. On occasions you are in the elevator and you may here ignorant conversations but you have to keep in mind that many of the students are underclassmen and straight out of high school. The school has a rigorous curriculum and professors that are not lenient and have great expectations. I am sure that those students that are eager to learn and grow will mature in adults and professionals.

Maria

New York city college of Technology has excellent faculty! In my tenure at City tech I have encountered a great deal of professors which have pushed me to excel. The school emphasizes the importance of punctuality and ethics; which undeniably will serve as an excellent tool in any student's future endeavors. Many of the professors are strict and demand full attention at all times. Needless to say most of the faculty has a passion for what they do and will not hesitate to push one to a point of exhaustion. As a result of the small amount of seats in the healthcare programs, I find City tech to be a challenging environment in which you can either make it or break it. There is no gray area here it is either you succeed or you fail, there is no time to be wasted with mediocracy. In this school those who are willing to learn will succeed and find themselves in incredible programs.

Well City tech is a school where most people commute. There are not any major teams or sororities to join. I guess one would make their own party scene with one's friends. There are many clubs and events that occur during the school certain days of the week. For example on Thursday's from 12-2 there are no classes anywhere in the school because it is club hour. I personally am only involved in the student association of dental hygiene but if one is looking to join or even start a club City tech would be a good option.

New York City College of Technology is a multifaceted school, that in my opinion has a place for everyone.  It has plethora of majors that draw people from different cultural backgrounds and intellect.  Although there undeniably are preferences among students, most people get along and classes are very harmonious.  I would dare say there is no set stereotype to describe such a diverse school; which un any case is located in the heart of a diverse city.

brian

I think City Tech is a very good college. It is just the right size, not too big and not too small. I get many positive reactions when i tell people where i go to school. Many people i run into have been a student of city tech or know someone who has. The college has been around for quite some time so its is tried and true.

There are many groups in my college and there is time set aside just for clubs. The video game club is one of the most popular groups along with the robotics club. There are quite a few athletic clubs.

Most students wear jeans or sweats. The student population is diverse but students interact very well with each other. Most students are from the Brooklyn area and i would say the financial background is that of middle class.

Most professors take interest in you when you participate in class or show interest in class. My favorite class was anatomy and physiology. Class participation is a norm. Most classes are very competitive speaking from my experiences. My major is Radiologic Technology and it is the second most competitive major to get into after nursing . The education is prepares you very well for the workplace.

There are a wide variety of students at New York city college of technology. There is a little bit of everything. The diversity is great.

Janice

The best thing I would have to say about my school are the people. My school is very diverse; both in background and age. If I could change one thing it would be the student professor ratio, i wish it was smaller. When i tell people what school i go to some people strike up conversation asking me about my expierences, while some have never even heard of my school; but overall the reactions are positive. I spend most of my time on campus in the student lounges usually reading, listening to music, talking to friends, catching up some zzz's, or just relaxing in between classes. NYC a college town??... NEVER. I wouldnt consider new york city a college town. It lives up to its name as the city that never sleeps, because there is always something to do outside of school. The administration at my school are very helpful, they never hesitate to answer questions regarding the school or to give you directions. The biggest controversy on campus is that the cafeteria recently shut down for unknown reasons, leaving everyone VERY hungry, and grumpy because we arent getting our caffeine fix to pull all nighters. School pride... I do wish there were more. I wouldnt say it was non-exsistant, but its very small. There is anything specifially unusual about the school that i've noticed. The one experience that i will never forget from being in this school is giving my first business group presentation last semester, it may sound small, but it took 3 months to prepare and was over 50 pages. I worked in a group for those months, and my group mates and I still are very close to this day. I dont know many student complaints, but i know recent ones relate to the cateria closing as i've previously stated.

The sterotype of students at my school, is that this school is a school that kids go to if they can't get into any other schools or they did less than stellar in high school. At least thats what I thought when applying for this school. I found that this isn't true at all. This school is full great individuals who are all working towards one goal... to further their education. Like myself many people are here to both save money; as CUNY is a cheaper schooling option and to obtain an undergraduate degree, then go on to another accredited school for their bachelors or higher.

Jasmine

My school is not perfect, but I could have attended worse.

My school is not perfect, but I could have attended worse.

My classmates are sometimes hilarious, but then again focused.

If I could give myself as a high school senior advice, I would tell myself that handing in homework late, being tardy for class, and walking around with my head in the clouds is only going to hurt me in the long run. I would also tell myself to not be ashamed to ask for help when I need it. A crucial point that I would mention is to embrace my gift in art, and to work so hard that people would feel foolish to not recognized my talent. Last, the most important thing I would tell myself is that, Mommy was right when she said "fun will always be there, just focus on your school work for now".

CUNY New York City College of Technology administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.