CUNY New York City College of Technology

« See more reviews of CUNY New York City College of Technology

I work as a peer mentor at the New Community College at CUNY, and during the interview, they asked all the applicants this very question. I will answer the same way I answered then. I would really have to give the high school me a good talking to, because there was so much that my high school did not prepare me for in college. The most important was time management; during high school I thought I was very good at time management because I was on the high honor roll, I was a student athlete, I was a part of several organizations both at school and at church. But life in high school is structured so that you inevitably get all these things done. I would warn my high school self that time management is more than just showing up to classes on time but it is about figuring out and structuring your life so that you not only have time to get all your daily tasks accomplished, but you also have time for personal betterment, building your career and working on creating the life you want. Try fitting all that into one day without excellent time management skills.

If I were given the chance to talk about to my highschool self, I would tell him that he better cut the act of all the slacking that he's probably up to. College is a lot more serious that anyone thinks. You aren't giving the leisure of being pushed by teachers to do your work. At this point, you're given the opportunity be hold yourself responsible of working hard in college. Don't take on more than what you can really handle. It helps avoid being stressed out from piles of work. Remember to have some time for yourself. College doesn't have to be about work, work, and more work. Play games, Party (NOT EXCESSIVELY), join club activities or frats, do whatever makes you take your mind off heavy workloads. College is a growing and learning experience and will/may be the best 4-5 years of your life. Doing all of your work and studying in a timely manner is the best cheat code there is to beat college. As long as you put your mind to it, you'll be the best student that you can be. You got this! I believe in you!

In my family neither of my parents recieved a college degree. I have an older sister that started college but dropped out due to family issues. By the time it was my turn to go to college my mother tried her best and sent me to the college I wanted to go to, dispite how hard it was financially. This meant a lot to me so it was important I attend. In college I worked, played soccer, did my school work, and still had a social life. This I felt was just preparing me for the future. Having to give your all to so much maybe overwhelming to some but I just embraced the challenge. Going into college I was unsure of what major I wanted to declare, so I tried different majors. I learned what it takes to be a social worker, a dental hygienest and also a little bit about criminal justice. College is the best thing ANYBODY can do even if they arent sure what they want to do in the future. Having a degree when applying for a career will give you that much more of a chance. I wuldnt change this experience for anything.

My college experience has taught me that perseverance, dedication, and time management are the three key elements to achieve the things I want in life. All through my school carrier I struggled with dyslexia. Other classmates understood things I didn?t and this was discouraging. I was always struggling and wanting to give up. The words ?I can?t? always ringing in my ears. When I reached Santa Barbara City College, I made a decision to earn good grades regardless of what it would take. I stayed after school for hours in the math lab, made appointments to get my papers edited, visited teachers during their office hours, had perfect attendance, asked questions, and leaned to time manage. What makes my experience most valuable is that this work ethic has transferred into the character of the person I have become. Now I am a dependable and hardworking person in every aspect of my life, and I don?t have to make the conscious effort to uphold this, it?s just a part of me. Now the words ?I can? radiate from me.

Hello Dennis, It’s me, You! I am in college, yes I have made it in. I am given the opportunity to change my future and it starts with you. I am in college and I am struggling to cope with the work and pressures of this responsibility bestowed on me. At present I feel like giving up; I am failing the same classes over and over, and I miss class when I feel like. I can change this but you are the one to do this. I want you to enjoy every moment you have right now. I don’t want you to over work yourself and get stressed, because I know you are a smart dude. I want you to do ten percent more work now than what you are doing, I promise you will have no regrets. You will look back and say I did ten percent more and I am happy with what I have done. You will be successful and you will not be stressed when you start college, because you will always be doing ten percent more than me. That’s all you need to do to be successful in everything you do. Dennis.

IF I had went in time in my senior year in high school of course I will them myself in the past, about college life and etc. But make the right choices for my life in the future I won't make the same mistake again. If I went back to the past I would work more harder in classes, study hard , do my homework, workout everyday to get stronger to get a football scholarship; get recurited to Penn State College from a football scout or lead my Franklin K LANE football team to the championship game and win the game as the captain of the team for my last year in high school, or putting the time to impress a girl I liked by studying more about her and the things that she is interested and not to lose the will popwer and my self-esteem. Putting the time to bulid my good character and become better person for myself, Allah, and the family. I would trade everything I have just to go back in time senior year in high school to make things more for myself .

I have gotten a better understanding of what my goals are in life, and what I want to accomplish in the future. I have narrowed down my interests to accounting and now know what I want to do with my life. Attending was one of the best things I have done, as it has allowed me to expand my horizons and strive to do better. I don't want to stay at a dead end job, I want one that allows personal growth and continuous success. And going to college has really given me the opportunity to do so. Going to a 2 year school has given me valuable experience that I will be able to use to continue in the process of getting my Bachelor's from a 4 year school. And I am very excited to move on to a new chapter in my life, in my pursuit of becoming a successful accountant, while remembering something very important early on. Don't get yourself into a vast debt that you can't get yourself out of.

I am currently twenty-six years old. I graduated from high school in 2001, approximately nine years ago. In these nine years, I have acquired so much knowledge. I wish I could go back in time, and tell myself that it is necessary to take school more seriously, such as I do now. Also, I would say that it is important to pay close attention in class, because I will need the information in certain situations to come. What's more, I would say that I should not take my life, my family, or my education for granted, as these are things that not everyone has. Finally, I would let myself know that even though I will work very hard for what I will achieve, I should always remember to take the time and appreciate the little things that make life worthwhile. Thank you for this opportunity, and taking your time to read my thoughts.~ -Lyndsay

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the first thing i would say is, "Get ready because its not gonna be easy". In high school I always thought college would be fun and the classes would be really easy but i was very wrong. Going into college, you have to suddenly become more mature than you were in high school. People are not going to be running after you begging you to do your work it's all up to you, whether you want to succeed or not. College is like a job, As long as you put all your effort into it you will see how much it will profit you in the end. The best way to transition into college and succeed is to set a goal for yourself, know your objective and be persistent, never give up no matter the circumstances. You will then see how college is a very important factor in succeeding in life.

I have made a lot of mistakes in the past, unwilling to study for my school work, and unwilling to pay attention in class. Assuming that I am able to go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would give myself one piece of advice: hard work never pays off. I should be cherishing the opportunities I was given, the chances I was given, the education I was given, and use it for my future. I never thought that high school mattered that much- but know looking back into my past, I realized that high school matters a lot- everything matters in school. Education matters, grades matter. Never give up, and time is everything.