CUNY Queens College Top Questions

Arlene

queens may only cost about four grand a year, but it is so grossly underestimated that it just frustrates me. i attended nyu last year, got sick of it, and came to queens and honestly, my experience here has been so much better, and i don't regret my transfer at all. its diverse faculty hails from so many places and educational backgrounds that they are definitely not getting paid enough for what they are worth.

there are many culturally different people at QC, but I think it makes for a better learning experience. We are all able to teach eachother something.

To some extent, it depnds on the individual

carla

yes

Deborah

Most of them are true

This is true to some extent because Queens is a commuter school but that doesn't mean that Queens doesn't have a lot to offer in the way of campus life. Yes we are running but if you want to participate there are constant activities going on on campus.

more or less

Britt

I don't know because I am one of those people. I work, go to school and leave. I don't really have time to hang around campus and make friends. Now this summer I won't have my full time job I will be able to focus on extracurricular activities and get a different view of Queens College atmosphere.

no

Yes

QC students are apathetic, however there are a small majority of students who are not. There is school spirit, just not when it comes to sports.

Jane

it is totally diverse. the anti-social part is correct.

brian

Sometimes. I find that when you meet people on campus you must get to know them and quick since its very likely that after that semesters class or something you won't ever see them again.

Seth

Unfortunately.

josie

absolutely not. QC is amazing the quality of learning here has really blown my mind. and although it's a commuter college, the degree of integration lays in the hands of each individual--if you want to get to know people-GET INVOLVED in activities join clubs, make yourself available!

Victor

Yes.

no, i'm not saying that everyone had to or should go to college but if you need help in a subject the school will help you do better in your class. they don't expect you to do well in every subject without going to someone for help.

N/A

While some of the students do go home as soon as they are done for the day, most of them don't. There is a Free Hour every Monday and Wednesday, where most of the 100+ clubs meet. Also, during the freshman year we have the CLIQ program, where you have to go to 6 events before getting 24 credits.

Well, I never thought of it as a big high school, and I don't want to because I find that very sad and discouraging. But first semester was kinda lonely and it felt as though you wouldn't be able to hang out with people you meet which is pretty true unless you truly make the effort. However, if you join clubs and stick to them you can end up feeling pretty welcome and at-home. As for QC not being the best quality, I don't buy that. We have some great professors that are the same or better than the ones at Columbia and NYU. And many others have confirmed this fact including the professors themselves.

These stereotypes are by no means accurate.

Absolutely not. The education I have received from Queens College I believe is on par with the education that my friends and sisters have received from their schools. Also, when you walk on campus and you walk past the first building, you enter your own oasis. You can't hear the cars honking their horns, or see all the apartment buildings. The quad is absolutely beautiful.

well most of the people in the school aren't that friendly but if you join a few clubs you should be okay

Well, it depends on the student and how much effort they put into getting involved.

Alexa

Absolutely not. Every school has its flaws including good and bad professors.

Cory

This is true. Students don't get involved in school politics and events, so there's not a lot happening on the campus.

Above.