CUNY Queens College Top Questions

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Karla

The athletics department has changed significantly with the new athletic director, China Jude. Varsity players are required to do personal training hours, do at least two community service projects as a team, and the coach is responsible to run one sports clinic per year (or per semester - I don't remember). There are monthly student athlete meetings that are a bit of a drag sometimes to go to. If you're a freshman or you're on a team and your GPA has dropped below a 2.5, you also need to do a few hours per week of study hall for one semester to meet the Athletics Dept.'s GPA requirement. Playing sports at QC is a huge commitment. At the same time, you can form really close bonds with your teammates because of the time you spend together. Also, the athletics department really takes care of its athletes. It encourages all athletes to tutor each other when that is needed. The Student Athlete Committee (SAC) is a great way to get involved as a student leader of the athletics department. They are varsity players that meet every so often to plan athletic events and are to present complaints of other players to the administration, when necessary. There are scholarships that a lot of students get to stay in the dorms, but those details are usually worked out with the coach before the semester begins. No one really cares about sports besides the athletes and athletic department at QC. They’re trying to change that, but it’s a challenge because of the commuter nature of the school and many of its students. However, being an athlete at Queens College is a great experience. I was on the fencing team until other interests became more demanding and I had to quit. It was really rewarding and I made great friends out of it. Red tape with the NCAA can be annoying and complicated in the beginning, but it you’re on the team for two years or more, it’s worth it.

Allysa

Sports is definitely a big deal on campus. There are loads of teams for loads of sports! I don't know very much about it because I'm not involved in the sports teams. But from what I've heard, it sounds like it's great.

Gene

"Queens College Dance Team 06-07 First Men's Game of the Season"