CUNY Queens College Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Arlene

some stereotypes about queens are that it's low class and not up to par with other schools. because it is a city school, many assume that queens is not well-funded and that its teachers are not as good as others. many assume that because queens is a commuter school, it is lacking in the college experience.

Megan

A lot of Jews and foreigners

They dont like participating in events b/c we are a commuter school

carla

idk... they all dress aeropostal like

Deborah

Queens college is a jew school, the girls are ugly, its a retirement center because there at elderly people taking classes there, its boring, its the school you end up in because you cant afford your dream university.

Alex

That we are constantly running and don't participate in campus life.

Olivia

dominated by Jewish programs

Britt

That people keep to themselves.

Blake

I don't know of any.

Jesse

That they are not involved in campus activities. Also that because we attend a commuter collegege the greek system is non-existent.

Laura

Queens college students either came here because they didnt get into the school they wanted to, couldnt afford other schools, or are jewish.

Alexandria

That they are apathetic and that there is no school spirit.

Jane

it is full of asians and indians. the students are anti-social.

brian

That there is no community

Seth

There aren't really stereotypes about Queens College students. We mind our business, everyone else minds theirs. Most of the time it's simply that Queens College students leave as soon as class ends.

josie

i feel that people may think its not a good school cause it's CUNY and its not all so expensive. also that its not really integrated since its a commuter college

Victor

- Number of students per class is very high. You'll rarely find a class with less than 40-50 students. Personal attention from professor lacks due to the class size. Shy students will also face degrading learning experience due to it. - Parking is a problem if you are commuting by car. - Classes become full generally the day registration opens. You have to wait the very minute you are able to registered or the classes you desire to register in will be gone.

Ryan

well, it not just queens college i think that one sterotypes that is hard to overcome it that you have to be very bright to go to college

Jesse

In four years at QC I don't think that I've heard any.

Because QC is a commuter school a lot of people think that you only go there to go to classes and then go home.

Charlie

that Queens College is like a "big high school" and that there is no way you can make life-long friends because it's a commuter school and everyone goes home at the end of the day. Also, Queens College isn't the greatest place to go because it's CUNY and won't offer you many opportunities and prestige.

Christine

Some stereotypes about QC students are that we are not smart and that the standards to get into our school are not very high, which is the exact opposite. People often think because the school is in an urban area that it is not well respected.

A lot of people think that because Queens College is a CUNY and because it's very inexpensive, that the school itself is not up to par with the more expensive schools around. Another thing that I've come to realize is that people also think because NYC and Flushing are both very crowded and kind of dirty that QC must represent the same things.

Ryan

thats its a commuter school so everyone is anti-social

Natalie

That it is just a commuter school, students just come to classes and go home.

Alexa

There is a common stereotype that because Queens College is inexpensive the education provided is not of high standing. This is a common misconception about several CUNY schools. Queens College is a great school at a great price which allows many who normally wouldn't go to college to do so. The world believes that the higher the price the better the quality, but this isn't so.

Cory

The idea that Queens College students just want to go to school and then home or work. Many people think that there are not enough Queens College events to keep the student body busy.

Steven

I haven't heard of any stereotypes really, meaning that it's not talked about at all. I'm most frequently at the Student Union and see a lot of different races and cultures.

Andrew

As far as the social scene goes, QC is not the best at it because it is irrational to expect students to be on campus when they do not have classes. Whereas with dormitory colleges the students are on campus more frequently. Furthermore, students are not involved too much with the campus although the CLIQ point system is en-route causing more involvement an participation in on-campus events. As far as academia is concerned, the liberal arts classes seem to be on an ok level, although the natural science department really gives a student a bang-for-his-buck. It is at the highest level and is very demanding and time consuming and challenging. Freshmen which earn a 5 on their A.P. in highschool, are faced with a far more harsh reality while taking the science courses.