Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dallas Baptist University

Kadie

I would advise the parents and students to look at the teacher to student ratio and to see what campus life activities are available. When I was looking at schools I wanted to know if I was actually going to be able to speak with my professor or if I was just another out of 75 students they didn't have time for. The campus life activities were important to me also. It is where you start your social life at college and get away from the academics for awhile. I enjoy the campus activities because it gives a chance to be involved with the student life and do different activities with friends. I think with finding the college that has the right teacher to student ratio and campus activities to your prefrence will help make the most of your college experience.

Before attending my college I wish that I would have known how to best schedule my classes for each semester and I had known a basic understanding of financial aid. In the long run I wish I had asked more questions.

Patrick

Definitley let them live on campus, for i wouldn't trade any of those experiences for the world. that and make sure the kid stays on task, do a check up every month or so, cuz that's a lot of money to have waisted if you don't pass

A liberal citizen who can't take another's opinion as an equal to their own.

Christina

A beautiful campus that strives for academic excellence and servant leadership, but does not have many campus activites.

Friendly, caring people that love the Lord and are serious about their studies.

The advice I would give to parents and students about college is to make sure they visit a good number of schools before deciding on one. Also, be open to other colleges that might not be on their top list. The college experience can be great, and making the most of it is important. Students must come out of their confort zone and get involved in as many opportunities as their schedule allows. Also, living on campus for their first year is a great way to get involved and meet new friends.

Start early, it is the worst thing ever to find yourself at a college you hate because you waited too long. Take a light load your senior year so you can focus more on SAT's, ACT's, FAFSA, and applications. Don't limit yourself to only a couple colleges, apply to as many as you can. Don't be the freshman who spends all their time in their room because their talking to their significant other. Don't be the freshmen couple that dated in high school and followed to college. Release yourself from all obligations to a boyfriend/girlfriend, parents, family, mentors, whoever when you're deciding about college. This is your life, not theirs. It is cheaper for you if you figure this out before you start college rather than when you are already 20 thousand in debt and trying to transfer to the college you should have been at in the first place. Money is money, whether your parents are supplying it or you are busting your tail to make it happen...either way, don't waste it.

I wish I had known more about scholarships and financial aid. I wouldn't be in the situation I am in now if I had.

The most frustrating for me has been the living situation. I live off campus as a nanny but both my scholarships which are 40% of my tuition require that I live on campus, and so i have to pay for an on-campus apartment even though I don't use it. That means I'm taking out another loan for school every year when I already am taking out 2 loans every year. And this loan isn't deferred, which means I'm paying it off now on my minimal income.

James

The people I go to school with are very nice. Most are very friendly and accepting. I was always made to feel as though I fit right in. People jumped in to help me carry stuff in when I was moving into the dorm. It is a very nice place.

Take time and really think about what it is that you want to do or what you want from your college experience. Visit colleges early and get a feel for the campus. Look into every opportunity for help with finances.

It is in kind of an out-of- the- way area. The area is growing, but there is nothing within walking distance of the campus. You do have to drive to get where you want to go. Also, there isn't a lot of jobs available on campus.

Aaron

Most of my classmates have a goal for what they will do and where they will go after graduation.

If you've done well in school, then you will probably know what you want to do with your life, or atleast have an idea of what you don't want to do. From here I would look at the classes offered at nearby colleges, and radiate outward until you find the right ratio of college prestige and cost, attending a school near your hometown is always going to be less expensive if you have a support group at home. Once you've narrowed down your choices to about two or three schools using this method, take the SAT/ACT and send the results to these schools. Visit the schools that accept your application and then decide where you are going to go out of these two or three choices. If you are a Christian, then pray to God that he will show you the path that he wants you to take. If you do this last step first, then the rest of the steps are obsolete compared to the wisdom of an all-powerful God. If you take this last bit of advice, then you know that total surrender to God results in the best, no regret, college experience.

Dan

Dallas Baptist University is a perfect place to get a Christ centered education. There is a huge emphasis on servant leadership at this school. Servant leadership is a Christian principle in which one counts others as more important than oneself. Dr. Gary Cook, the president of DBU, has done a great job in leading this campus to success academically as well as spiritually.

In regards to finding the right college , I would encourage them to have a goal in mind of the kind of University they would feel most comfortable at. For example, would the student be overwhelmed by large class sizes, or would they prefer a larger class size? As far as acedemics are concerned, I would encourage the student to attempt to go to a school with a large selection of majors that might interest them, because, as I've learned from being apart of the educational system, most students change their majors while they are attending school. When asked about how to get the most out of the college experience, I would encourage the student to be involved on campus. In order to truly feel like one is apart of the college life, one must not shy away from putting themselves out there to invest in people from other cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. It is only when one steps out of their comfort zone that they realize who they really are.

The worst thing about Dallas Baptist University is the lack of school spirit. For whatever reason, it seems students choose not to rally behind our athletic programs. Our athletic programs contain many great athletes as well as a great coaching staff, so the reason extend beyond the skill level of our teams.

Masey

My school is best known for the religious affiliation, I would guess. We also have a really good baseball program.

The most important part of having a great college experience is attending a university where you know you will gain the most value from the amount of money you spend. Any university can find professors who don't care about their students, but it is so important to find a school where the faculty and staff CARE about students as people and not just a number. A university where there are small class sizes is more likely to dedicate more time to developing student's minds, as they are able to get to actually know the students. I go to Dallas Baptist University, and I feel like my college experience has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have grown so much spiritually, and even at the worst times, I received so much encouragement from every which way. Finding funding for school has been very hard, but spending this amount of money on my education is worth it, because I feel like I will be prepared whenever I enter the real world. I think that's what a parent/ student should look for when they are trying to find the right college; a university that cares.

The best thing about my school would be the amount of friendly faces. Right off the bat, freshman get to attend SWAT week, where they can meet lots of new people, and it's a very excellent way to make friends at the school.

David

Most are cool. Vast majority is white. There are a lot of international students but they tend to keep to themselves.

We are on a small and steep mountain. Very very limited housing, parking, and activities. In every way imagineable, DBU clearly cares more about its appearance than its students. Must be because DBu is supported dy outside donations.

Do not take a guided tour of the campus. Visit the cafeteria or activities area and hang out with experienced students and you will see your possible future.

Kendra

The best advice I could give parents and/ or students about finding the right college is to be flexible. There is no such thing as the perfect college. Look for a school that fits most of the characteristics you are looking for and then be willing to work through the things that are not so perfect. A positive and memorable college experience is possible only with an open mind and a flexibility that will help students to persevere. If a student is attending a university only to learn, they are only getting half of the package. The other half comes in giving back to your school and to those who you live life with every day! The school itself is nothing without the participation and enthusiasm of its students. Specifically to parents I would say, be flexible with your student and allow them to grow during their college experience. They will be learning so much and making some of the most important decisions of their lives and they will need your support, but will also need you to trust them. Encourage them to do things on their own and help them to become as financially independent as they can be!

The best thing about my school is the diversity. We have a very high number of international students and there are many opportunities to learn about different cultures and religions. Our school even takes trips that give us a chance to see where these people are coming from. Despite the apparent differences in people, there is a unity that can be found here that is explained only by the presence of God on our campus.

This school would be a good choice for a student that is seeking to live and learn in a distinctly Christ-centered and conservative environment. The should be academically minded, but also enjoy having fun! They should be hard working and be open to meeting new people.

Dallas Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.