Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dallas Baptist University

Heather

My classmates are fun, interesting, and great people to get to know.

My classmates are fun, interesting, and great people to get to know.

Go to class every day. Do not skip unless there is an emergency or you are sick. Work on homework as soon as you get out of the class if at all possible, if you do that, you are able to socialize more in the evenings instead of working on homework every night. Get plugged into a church quickley and get involved. Get involved in something on campus, hang out with different students and make friends, don't be shy. :) Become great friends with your roommate first chance you get, remember, you have to live with the person for the next year. Turn in your homework on time. Take notes in every class. Be accountable to someone so that you can become disciplined in your work.

The thing I brag about most is how beautiful our campus is and how friendly the faculty and staff are, as well as other students. DBU has a wide variety of majors and offers many different things to students. They also offer many curricular activities every week. They also have many different ministries you can get involved in.

Isabel

There are many things I would have told myself if I had the chance to go back in time. I would first tell myself that college is nothing like high school. There aren't parents or authority figures making decisions for you any longer, teachers aren't holding your hand, walking you through every assignment and you are recognized as an adult upon entering college life. I would also like to have known the best path to take in school and to have actually taken general studies the first year instead of taking school lightly and assuming that the teacher would give me a passing grade. The final advice I would have to give would be to go to class. Education is extremely important and costs a lot of money. Go to class, do your work and avoid having to repeat any course.

A person that is rebellious in nature should probably avoid Dallas Baptist. And since this university is a Baptist affiliated institution, a student who doens't like the idea of mandatory chapel or having professors pray before each class period probably shouldn't attend.

I find the amount of fees the school applies to the already pricey tuition and room fees extremely frustrating. There are monthly fees if there is a balance of any kind on your account. I am already struggling to come up with the price of tuition and to add monthly fees is a bit ridiculous to me.

Christina

Take the time and find the right college for you. It makes all the difference in the world. Decide for yourself what you want and go after it. Because if you do not you could end up with a degree and/or job that does not make you want to get up every morning excited to go to work. Also go at your own pace. It insures that you do your personal best. Every one is different and therefore learns at different speeds. It is okay not to graduate in 4 years. And most of all, be yourself because that is who you were meant to be.

Kadie

I would advise the parents and students to look at the teacher to student ratio and to see what campus life activities are available. When I was looking at schools I wanted to know if I was actually going to be able to speak with my professor or if I was just another out of 75 students they didn't have time for. The campus life activities were important to me also. It is where you start your social life at college and get away from the academics for awhile. I enjoy the campus activities because it gives a chance to be involved with the student life and do different activities with friends. I think with finding the college that has the right teacher to student ratio and campus activities to your prefrence will help make the most of your college experience.

Before attending my college I wish that I would have known how to best schedule my classes for each semester and I had known a basic understanding of financial aid. In the long run I wish I had asked more questions.

Patrick

Definitley let them live on campus, for i wouldn't trade any of those experiences for the world. that and make sure the kid stays on task, do a check up every month or so, cuz that's a lot of money to have waisted if you don't pass

A liberal citizen who can't take another's opinion as an equal to their own.

Christina

A beautiful campus that strives for academic excellence and servant leadership, but does not have many campus activites.

Friendly, caring people that love the Lord and are serious about their studies.

The advice I would give to parents and students about college is to make sure they visit a good number of schools before deciding on one. Also, be open to other colleges that might not be on their top list. The college experience can be great, and making the most of it is important. Students must come out of their confort zone and get involved in as many opportunities as their schedule allows. Also, living on campus for their first year is a great way to get involved and meet new friends.

Start early, it is the worst thing ever to find yourself at a college you hate because you waited too long. Take a light load your senior year so you can focus more on SAT's, ACT's, FAFSA, and applications. Don't limit yourself to only a couple colleges, apply to as many as you can. Don't be the freshman who spends all their time in their room because their talking to their significant other. Don't be the freshmen couple that dated in high school and followed to college. Release yourself from all obligations to a boyfriend/girlfriend, parents, family, mentors, whoever when you're deciding about college. This is your life, not theirs. It is cheaper for you if you figure this out before you start college rather than when you are already 20 thousand in debt and trying to transfer to the college you should have been at in the first place. Money is money, whether your parents are supplying it or you are busting your tail to make it happen...either way, don't waste it.

I wish I had known more about scholarships and financial aid. I wouldn't be in the situation I am in now if I had.

The most frustrating for me has been the living situation. I live off campus as a nanny but both my scholarships which are 40% of my tuition require that I live on campus, and so i have to pay for an on-campus apartment even though I don't use it. That means I'm taking out another loan for school every year when I already am taking out 2 loans every year. And this loan isn't deferred, which means I'm paying it off now on my minimal income.

James

The people I go to school with are very nice. Most are very friendly and accepting. I was always made to feel as though I fit right in. People jumped in to help me carry stuff in when I was moving into the dorm. It is a very nice place.

Take time and really think about what it is that you want to do or what you want from your college experience. Visit colleges early and get a feel for the campus. Look into every opportunity for help with finances.

It is in kind of an out-of- the- way area. The area is growing, but there is nothing within walking distance of the campus. You do have to drive to get where you want to go. Also, there isn't a lot of jobs available on campus.

Aaron

Most of my classmates have a goal for what they will do and where they will go after graduation.

If you've done well in school, then you will probably know what you want to do with your life, or atleast have an idea of what you don't want to do. From here I would look at the classes offered at nearby colleges, and radiate outward until you find the right ratio of college prestige and cost, attending a school near your hometown is always going to be less expensive if you have a support group at home. Once you've narrowed down your choices to about two or three schools using this method, take the SAT/ACT and send the results to these schools. Visit the schools that accept your application and then decide where you are going to go out of these two or three choices. If you are a Christian, then pray to God that he will show you the path that he wants you to take. If you do this last step first, then the rest of the steps are obsolete compared to the wisdom of an all-powerful God. If you take this last bit of advice, then you know that total surrender to God results in the best, no regret, college experience.

Dan

Dallas Baptist University is a perfect place to get a Christ centered education. There is a huge emphasis on servant leadership at this school. Servant leadership is a Christian principle in which one counts others as more important than oneself. Dr. Gary Cook, the president of DBU, has done a great job in leading this campus to success academically as well as spiritually.

In regards to finding the right college , I would encourage them to have a goal in mind of the kind of University they would feel most comfortable at. For example, would the student be overwhelmed by large class sizes, or would they prefer a larger class size? As far as acedemics are concerned, I would encourage the student to attempt to go to a school with a large selection of majors that might interest them, because, as I've learned from being apart of the educational system, most students change their majors while they are attending school. When asked about how to get the most out of the college experience, I would encourage the student to be involved on campus. In order to truly feel like one is apart of the college life, one must not shy away from putting themselves out there to invest in people from other cultures and socio-economic backgrounds. It is only when one steps out of their comfort zone that they realize who they really are.

The worst thing about Dallas Baptist University is the lack of school spirit. For whatever reason, it seems students choose not to rally behind our athletic programs. Our athletic programs contain many great athletes as well as a great coaching staff, so the reason extend beyond the skill level of our teams.

Dallas Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.