Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dallas Baptist University

Angela

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to plan for the future. I would tell myself to research different schools, and try to visit them. I would tell myself to be honest about my home situation, and talk with my high school counselor and the admissions counselors at the schools I was planning to attend. I would tell myself to try to get the best grades possible and do my best on the ACT. When I was a high school senior, I had a rough life. I was a teen mom, and got kicked out of my house the summer between my junior and senor years. Finishing high school was a real struggle for me. I wanted to go to college, but was intimidated by the admissions process. Everyone wanted to know my parents income, and I was too embarassed to tell anyone that my parents had kicked me out, so I just gave up. I was 36 years old when I decided it was finally time to actually go to college. By this time I actually knew what I wanted to do with my life.

Rebecca

If I could talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to worry, because I am about to make the best friends I will ever have in my life. I would tell myself that playing volleyball isn't everything; relationships and my future is what truly matters. I would tell myself to take Dr. Mullen for Old Testament, rather than Dr. Tarwater! I would tell myself not to worry, and promise that I will miss my parents less and less as time goes on and as I begin to become more of who I will be in the future. I would also say that even though it becomes easier to live away from home over time, that doesn't mean home is not always there to run to when I need it. I would tell myself to get ready, because I am about to have some of the best years of my life, and to cherish every minute of them because they fly!

Someone who is interested in meeting amazing friends, and getting a personal education. Someone who is a Christian, or who wants to learn more about becoming a Chirsitian, or just about Christianity in general.

Jordan

During my first years of college, I found my education was much more enjoyable when I actively engaged myself in it. I was surprised by how much taking the time to study (even utilizing highlighters, notecards, study groups, etc.) and delving deeply into the class material increased my confidence; while I maintained a high GPA and didn't struggle in high school, I rarely committed more than the minimum amount of effort required and thus didn't get nearly as much out of it as I could. However, my advice to myself as a high school senior would certainly not be to study constantly; I've found that my well-being in college hinges equally on the time I take to relax and have fun. Therefore, I would include in my advice to take a break when needed, maybe to go to a party or hang out with friends. Although the balance between work and play is not at all an easy thing to maintain, my advice to myself as a high school senior on making the transition to college life would be to aim for just that.

Christina

The freedom to rexpress my religious views and opinions without being descriminated against.

Take your time, figure out what you like and work towards it but be flexable to change when life and likes change. Take the basics first, don't try to start at the upper level classes, no matter how smart you are, you are not ready for that. You are going to change your major a couple of times, its ok, and acceptable. Do what makes you happy and you will be happy with what you do.

felita

Education matters. Investing time and money in your future is the greatest gift you can give to yourself. It can have an amazing return. If taken seriously and thought of as a full-time job it can benefit in so many ways. Education gives you, good social skills, confidence, self-gratification and new career opportunities. Going back to school has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. It taught me I can be pushed to limits I didn’t know existed. One of the key elements to good learning is caring and dedicated instructors. If they show you that they care, then you began to care. You are encouraged to take ownership of your future. The university setting is a cultural amalgam that introduces students to the world’s diversity. We have the opportunity to learn that despite our differences, we are one. Education provides phenomenal career opportunities. From a young age I was told “In life a lot of things can be taken away from you, but one thing that can’t ever be taken is your education.” If you remember these words, your education can take you as far as you are willing to take it.

Alexia

To do some self-reflection would be my advice to my younger self. For starters, I would let Little Alexia know that the only way to make lifelong friendships is to first prove herself friend material. I would tell her that while it is okay to be focused on achieving her goals and keeping her eyes on the prize, she should always make time for others and the friendships that await her. I would even give her a heads up to be less oblivious and more receptive to the boy in her first DBU class of the day that keeps turning around and staring at her. Overall, I would let her know that there is more to college life than academics alone. I would also teach the younger Alexia how to apologize to others even when hurting them unintentionally, as well as how to forgive herself. On a positive note, I would let her know about the leadership role that she would assume on campus. Most importantly, I would ease her mind about the future. I would assure her that as she progresses in her life and in her studies, all the pieces will gradually come together.

Dallas Baptist University can tend to be a bit too conservative, even for a low-key person like myself. Also, the students would benefit from intermingling more with the international students living on campus.

People (traditional-age and otherwise) who do not want to be challenged in their worldview, or hear how academics and Christianity go hand-in-hand will neither enjoy, nor make the most of their time here.

Christina

I would tell myself to get a job in the field I would like to go in. I want to go into health care and shadowing doctors and interning in hospitals would have been beneficial to me before I started my undergrad. Since I had so much hesitation towards declaring pre-med I would have told myself to take basic courses my first year before attempting the coursework half-heartedly. I would also tell myself that there is a great possibility for me to go to college. I did not think it was possible at the time. Telling myself to talk to counselor about my talents and schools would be more productive towards narrowing down a school I would like to go. My mother had me apply to every school that sent me something in the mail. I would tell myself to pick my top 5 choices and have at least three bullet points for why I was interested in that school. Since I made my choice of where I wanted to go to school so late, it made transitioning difficult and rushed.

I wish I had known about all the requirements to maintain scholarships. I also wish I had known about the extra classes I was required to take in order to keep in good standing with my scholarship. I would have prepared myself more for the type of people I was going to meet. Sometimes people at Dallas Baptist University cannot be so welcoming to ideas that are different from their own. It would be nice to know I was going to stay with my major. I would have tried harder if my major was set and stone.

The worst thing about my school would have to be how difficult the science classes are. The lack of updated equipment makes the labs frustrating and not as beneficial to the students. However the difficulty of the classes creates a much wanted challenge for the students. I find the grading scale with the plusses and minuses to be annoying, especially when I try to compare myself to other students at State schools. It is frustrating to have the same GPA as another student who has made C's, when I have not.

Michella

My school is beautiful, friendly, and homey feeling.

My school is beautiful, friendly, and homey feeling.

If I could go back and have a talk with the high school Michella I would tell her to be more social. In my first year of college I didn't make any real friends. I kept to myself and never hung out with people very often. I did great in school but I needed those friendships to enjoy campus life completely. I finally allowed myself to be more social and joining a service oriented sorority helped out a lot. I need my friends to help me get through the hard times in college. I feel like my first year of college would have been way more enjoyable if I had taken the time to make friends. Now I have made friends and I am still doing well in school. It is possible to have a social life and an academic life. You just have to learn how to ballance it. I wish I would have know this going into college I think it would have helped me out a lot.

I always brag about how great the professors are. They are really willing to help you. You are not just a number to them. Most desire to get to know you personally. I like when my professor is interested in me as a student. It make the class more enjoyable the better you know your professor.

My classmates are all friendly and helpful.

My classmates are all friendly and helpful.

Stop skipping classes and wasting your time on frivelous things. Finish school the right way, go the extra mile, and work hard - you could save yourself a couple years off the life you will have if you do.

I love the focus on religion intertwined with the major. There's nothing better than coming closer to God and your career!

Continue to give your best, not only will it assist you in college, it will also allow you to succeed in the "real world". Grades are not everything, but when excelling in school is important to you personally, it shows that you value yourself and your abilitities in more than just academics. Life can be difficult, nothing worth having is ever easy to get. Do not regret the order in which you choose to live your life, what seems right is not always what suits you in that moment. Wherever life takes you, your education will always be important. It is up to you how far you take it and once you have it, no one can take it away.

Dallas Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.