Dallas, TX
Dallas Baptist University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dallas Baptist University

felita

Education matters. Investing time and money in your future is the greatest gift you can give to yourself. It can have an amazing return. If taken seriously and thought of as a full-time job it can benefit in so many ways. Education gives you, good social skills, confidence, self-gratification and new career opportunities. Going back to school has been one of the best decisions I’ve made. It taught me I can be pushed to limits I didn’t know existed. One of the key elements to good learning is caring and dedicated instructors. If they show you that they care, then you began to care. You are encouraged to take ownership of your future. The university setting is a cultural amalgam that introduces students to the world’s diversity. We have the opportunity to learn that despite our differences, we are one. Education provides phenomenal career opportunities. From a young age I was told “In life a lot of things can be taken away from you, but one thing that can’t ever be taken is your education.” If you remember these words, your education can take you as far as you are willing to take it.

Alexia

To do some self-reflection would be my advice to my younger self. For starters, I would let Little Alexia know that the only way to make lifelong friendships is to first prove herself friend material. I would tell her that while it is okay to be focused on achieving her goals and keeping her eyes on the prize, she should always make time for others and the friendships that await her. I would even give her a heads up to be less oblivious and more receptive to the boy in her first DBU class of the day that keeps turning around and staring at her. Overall, I would let her know that there is more to college life than academics alone. I would also teach the younger Alexia how to apologize to others even when hurting them unintentionally, as well as how to forgive herself. On a positive note, I would let her know about the leadership role that she would assume on campus. Most importantly, I would ease her mind about the future. I would assure her that as she progresses in her life and in her studies, all the pieces will gradually come together.

Dallas Baptist University can tend to be a bit too conservative, even for a low-key person like myself. Also, the students would benefit from intermingling more with the international students living on campus.

People (traditional-age and otherwise) who do not want to be challenged in their worldview, or hear how academics and Christianity go hand-in-hand will neither enjoy, nor make the most of their time here.

Christina

I would tell myself to get a job in the field I would like to go in. I want to go into health care and shadowing doctors and interning in hospitals would have been beneficial to me before I started my undergrad. Since I had so much hesitation towards declaring pre-med I would have told myself to take basic courses my first year before attempting the coursework half-heartedly. I would also tell myself that there is a great possibility for me to go to college. I did not think it was possible at the time. Telling myself to talk to counselor about my talents and schools would be more productive towards narrowing down a school I would like to go. My mother had me apply to every school that sent me something in the mail. I would tell myself to pick my top 5 choices and have at least three bullet points for why I was interested in that school. Since I made my choice of where I wanted to go to school so late, it made transitioning difficult and rushed.

I wish I had known about all the requirements to maintain scholarships. I also wish I had known about the extra classes I was required to take in order to keep in good standing with my scholarship. I would have prepared myself more for the type of people I was going to meet. Sometimes people at Dallas Baptist University cannot be so welcoming to ideas that are different from their own. It would be nice to know I was going to stay with my major. I would have tried harder if my major was set and stone.

The worst thing about my school would have to be how difficult the science classes are. The lack of updated equipment makes the labs frustrating and not as beneficial to the students. However the difficulty of the classes creates a much wanted challenge for the students. I find the grading scale with the plusses and minuses to be annoying, especially when I try to compare myself to other students at State schools. It is frustrating to have the same GPA as another student who has made C's, when I have not.

Michella

My school is beautiful, friendly, and homey feeling.

My school is beautiful, friendly, and homey feeling.

If I could go back and have a talk with the high school Michella I would tell her to be more social. In my first year of college I didn't make any real friends. I kept to myself and never hung out with people very often. I did great in school but I needed those friendships to enjoy campus life completely. I finally allowed myself to be more social and joining a service oriented sorority helped out a lot. I need my friends to help me get through the hard times in college. I feel like my first year of college would have been way more enjoyable if I had taken the time to make friends. Now I have made friends and I am still doing well in school. It is possible to have a social life and an academic life. You just have to learn how to ballance it. I wish I would have know this going into college I think it would have helped me out a lot.

I always brag about how great the professors are. They are really willing to help you. You are not just a number to them. Most desire to get to know you personally. I like when my professor is interested in me as a student. It make the class more enjoyable the better you know your professor.

My classmates are all friendly and helpful.

My classmates are all friendly and helpful.

Stop skipping classes and wasting your time on frivelous things. Finish school the right way, go the extra mile, and work hard - you could save yourself a couple years off the life you will have if you do.

I love the focus on religion intertwined with the major. There's nothing better than coming closer to God and your career!

Continue to give your best, not only will it assist you in college, it will also allow you to succeed in the "real world". Grades are not everything, but when excelling in school is important to you personally, it shows that you value yourself and your abilitities in more than just academics. Life can be difficult, nothing worth having is ever easy to get. Do not regret the order in which you choose to live your life, what seems right is not always what suits you in that moment. Wherever life takes you, your education will always be important. It is up to you how far you take it and once you have it, no one can take it away.

DBU is a place where thousands of willing, truth-seeking, compassionate world-changers are being trained up to be realeased into the world of opportunity.

Do not be afraid. Do not fear anything. Because this is only the beginning of a beautiful, empowering, strengthening journey that you will remember and use to guide you for the rest of your life. Do not worry about being inadequate. You work hard and do your best, just as you always have, and you will exceed the expectations you set for yourself. College is a challenge, but you already have everything it takes within you to succeed fully. Simply continue the hard work you've committed to in highschool, and you can achieve all you desire. You are stronger and smarter than you think. And about making new friends? That is the easiest part. BE YOURSELF. And people will love you. Even if you think the real you isn't cool, funny or pretty enough, people are drawn to others who simply want to remain true to themseleves. It is only in that place that you will find who you truly are on this journey- which is the most important part. So go on a search to find yourself. In education, philosophy, arts, etc. all the things you will encounter on this journey. Let it lead you to you.

The most incredible aspect of DBU in my experience is the strong community of believers that I have the pleasure to share life with.

Greer

My classmates at Dallas Baptist University are friendly, kind, and take a general interst in others.

Dear Self, Going to college is going to be a good experience for you, it makes you grow up and become an adult. Remember your mommy isn't around so when you need something plan ahead and well, you are going to have to get it. Making new friends can be a little scary but be yourself and don't try and fit into anyone's molds. You want true friends, who will stay by you for a lifetime. Although all nighters may sound like a good idea, do a favor to yourself and sleep. Study hard, you are paying for your education. Take every opportunity to travel and see the world, go to every sporting event and support, and study hard. You only experience college once so make the most of it but you are there to learn so keep that in mind as your social calendar fills up. Sincerely, Yourself

Dallas Baptist University is not near anything. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get anywhere, even the grocery store. Also the weekend life is very slow and dull, a major suitcase school.

jeffrey

Christian Leadership in the classroom to prepare you for the real world. This university has brought me from a homeless drug addict to a Christian Leader serving across the globe, not to mention a 3.8 GPA.

I would give myself the advice TO CHANGE MY WAYS. I was a homeless drug addict that only finished high school through a self-paced school that dealt with my high school. I would advise teens NOT TO GET WRAPPED UP IN THE PARTIES, and the things that seem fun at the time. Hanging out drinking at a friends will not aid you in the future. It was not until I got to college that I relized the "nerds" were the ones that were going to have a REAL career. Nine times out of ten the most popular kid in school is working at a place like Burger King in the next ten years. What you do in college will insure the type of social class you will be in as an adult. After high school, the games are over. It is time to stand up for what you believe, and strive for success. There is no one to do your homework nor take your tests, college is for adults--and focus is a must. Best of luck, and keep your eyes to the sky because that is where it all happens! God Bless-

A person that is not in search of God. A person that is dishonest and that has low morals. This school is to prepare Christians for the real world.

When you first come to college you realize how much free time you have. Make sure you find a good balance between friends and school work. It is hard to focus on school work so much, but is very necessary if you want to reach your goals. Do not ever forget your family back at home. They are your foundation and you will need them in your times of need. They are your greatest fans and will always be there for you. Make sure and spend plenty of time with your friends you make. Some of these friends will be friends you keep for the rest of your life and mean and great deal to you. Enjoy this time. It is one of the best times you will have. Take in everything you do and are able to experience. Have fun!

The quality of professors and the discussions in class. It is so nice to be able to talk about things that you are thinking and to have feedback from your professors and peers. The professors are all very understanding and willing to help you when you need it, and give you advice. The group of friends I have made while here has been amazing, and they will be friends I keep forever.

The most frustrating thing about school is financial aid. It's necessary to do every year, but I do not enjoy filling out all of the paper work every semester.

Dallas Baptist University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.