Dalton, GA
Dalton State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dalton State College

Dominic

First of all I would focus more on my school work and study harder on quizes and tests. I did not do this at all, till the last semester of my senior year. Then I could have got a better GPA and two or three scholarships. For some reason this did not concern me one single bit. When I look back now, I could have done better than what I did, and now I have to start all over from the bottm again. The advice I would give my self is to focus on homework, that is the most important step. The second important step is studying for a quiz or a test, the reason why, because that is the biggest part of your grade. So the advice I would give my self is to focus on and study Homework. Also Study before every exam or test so you will pass the class. If I do this, then I can go to a bigger college, and get scholarships in stead of loans.

Krista

Dalton State has an awesome nursing program! I am not even in school for nursing and have got to hear all about it because of all the students interested in it. Dalton has an overall great learning environment, and is a very nice college!

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about transitioning to college, I would advise myself to make a class plan. I would say not to waste any time on unnecessary classes, and to take as many as you can without getting overwhelmed. The harder you push yourself the better you do, and don’t stress over things. When you do get stressed, take a few minutes away, breath, pray, and then go back. Work on your weaker areas such as test anxiety as much as possible before you start college, it WILL HELP. Don’t eat unhealthy it really doesn’t do you any good, and a healthier meal makes it easier to function on a day to day basis. Lastly, never give up. When times get hard and it feels like everything is going wrong, remember what your goals are and what you are striving for. Ask for help when you need it, and keep your head up as always!

The most frustrating thing about attending Dalton State is that we have a satellite campus in Gilmer County, but it does not offer a wide range of classes. This campus is GREAT for a student to get started, but after so long there is no choice but to attend the main campus in Dalton. Having to maintain a full-time job makes it very difficult to attend a campus that is as further away. It would be great if they could make the campus a full satellite campus opposed to a partial campus.

Chelsea

Dear Chelsea, Now, I know it might be weird getting a letter from your future self, but hear me out. You'll be applying to colleges and for scholarships soon so start now instead of later! Getting an early start looks good and it will be beneficial to you in the long run so just put aside a few hours every week to do so. Also, start practicing for your auditions now! Make sure you practice EVERY DAY. That will help you so much instead of cramming in practice the week before. Take the ACT as many times as you can before you're required to send in your score and try the SAT, also. Those require studying also, don't forget it! And most important, don't be afraid. College will be the best time of your life and you will meet some of the greatest people ever so just do it! Sincerely, you.

jordan

Dalton state features small class sizes with professors that are always willing to help you. It is a great campus and everyone is friendly. DSC is a safe campus, we always have officers patroling the school to ensure saftey and if anything happens you get an emergency text telling you what has happened.

If I was granted the oppertunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself several things. To begin I would tell myself to retake the SAT because those scores affect everything and to apply for every scholarship I qualified for. Also, I would tell myself to check out any school that I was interested in, not just two. Lastly, I would tll myself to be more involved so that it was not intimidating to join clubs, groups, greek, and different organizations on the school campus.

I wish that i had been more involved in high school just so I was intimadated to join more activities and clubs on campus. I also wish that I had taken the SAT more than once because I did not put a large focus on it and the SAT effects alot of my college career.

Shelby

Now that I have two years of college behind me, I would honestly only change one thing about my past approach to my Freshman year. This thing may not seem hugely significant; however, during my transition from graduating from a homeschool program of study to going to a public college, it was a very significant part of my life at the time. I would tell my 12th-grade self not to worry so much about grades. Before you write me off for collegiate heresy, allow me to unpack that statement and explain exactly what I am trying to communicate. My first entire year was a maelstrom of getting myself prepared for college--mentally and documentally. Because of all the hard work I put in during the application process, I made college my entire life for a time - disregarding everything else, from God to friends to family. I pray and pray that I would never fall into that nearly inescapable obsession with school and disregard anything important to me ever again. Because now through remembering what is truly and undoubtedly the most important thing to me, my Savior Jesus Christ, I have found so much direction and satisfaction in my life!

I would definitely like to see DSC achieve university status and also gain more Bachelor's degree-level programs.

If you are looking for a place to get a jump-start in school or figure out what you would like to do with your life, Dalton State is definitely a great choice. They have low tuition rates, lots of scholarships and wonderful academics. Because it has great accredidation, it looks like most of my classes shall transfer over to wherever God has next for me easily!

If I could go back in time and tell my highschool self about college and the transitions, I would talk about the abundance of homework that is required in college. Along with homework, college requires a lot more reading than I ever had to experience in highschool. I consider myself to be an avid reader, but it was mostly by choice and not by the instructors. With college, I am reading what is required or labeled as 'in my best interest' and not what I would choose to read. Another big difference between highschool and college is in highschool I got a lot of chances to express myself through my writing or assignments and with college it is more about a certain set of guidelines or criteria. The first core classes that you take out of highschool are more about structure and not creativity. These are some things that I would talk to my former highschool self about college because it was a slight culture shock for me and I wish I would have been more prepared.

There is a special bell tower located in the middle of the campus. It sounds on every hour reminding students of the time. You can here the bell tower throughout the whole campus even indoors.

College is a strange place compared to high school. You have to do online assignments, study long hours, and the students can range from kids to adults. It's kind of like a taste of the real world. You have to take more responsibility and socialize with others you normally wouldn't talk to. College doesn't just teach you math or language. It prepares you for the adult life. Without college my life in the future would have been set up for failure.

People who want a nice name on their degree that wish to go to a different state for a job. When apply for a job, most company outside of georgia wouldn't know what kind of a school Dalton State College is. These students should apply to a more familar name like the University of Georgia.

Kara

If the student graduated high school in GA with at least a 3.0 GPA, HOPE will cover the tuition and fees completely and provide $150 for books each semester. DSC is a smaller school, and I have been in classes with as few as 9 students up to as many as 54. This makes it very easy to form a relationship with the teacher and be held accountable for one's grades and work. The professors provide ample study materials and respond quickly when asked for help. There is always a positive, upbeat atmosphere across the campus.

I have finally been challenged. Dalton State has demanded more from me on not just an academic level but a personal level as well. Regardless of the honors or AP classes I took in high school, I was bored; now, each semester I face new and harder professors with high expectations. I've had to break my old habit of procrastination and develop better note-taking skills as well as keep and up-to-date schedule of assignments. My college experience has made me more responsible in managing my time and my money. I had never had to live on a budget before, and I constantly look for new ways to lessen my spending and stretch what money I have. I've also become much more confident. In the short time I've been at DSC, I've made many close friends and have "put myself out there" more than any other time in my life. It's given me a new self-confidence that I've always wanted. I love the person I'm becoming and that I can regularly use what I've learned in my classes from day to day. I am proud to attend this school.

One's ethnicity does not need to affect whether s/he applies to DSC. Also, there is no greek life to distract from one's studies, and the campus is now tobacco free. This is not a party school at all. There is a mall and many places to eat and other shops located close to campus as well as a few parks. This college is perfect for someone who doesn't want to attend a 2-year school or huge university. Based on my personal experiences everyone finds a niche and has a large circle of friends at DSC.

Dasia

i have gotten out of college experience that education is very valuable and serious. It as been valuable to attend because i want to become more than just the average person in my career, and i want to reach my goals at the highest point possible.

the teaching staff really want you to succeed

Dalton State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.