Dalton, GA
Dalton State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dalton State College

I have gotten alot so far out of my college experience. I have learned alot. I have learned that I have to make friends with people in my class. If i don't then I won't have any friends at school. It has been valuable to attend college because if I don't then I will be without out a job most likely because not many places will hire someone without a college degree anymore. When I get my degree, I will be able to try and find a job and have a chance to get it.

I wish I had known more about the school. I wish when I decided to go there I would have tried to find something that I could do instead of just going for class and going home. Next semester I plan to look into more about student activites on campus so that I can get involved.

I tell them about the RUAH meetings we have every Tuesday night. It is like a Church service. They have worship before and then someone gets up and presents a sermon. It is so cool to go to those because I don't get to go to church on Wednesday night because I have to work. So it's like i still get the three sermons a week.

Natalie

I cannot adequately express the value of my college experience so far. Dalton State has enhanced me academically, but much more went into my success than academics. The social events and variety of clubs opened up opportunites to explore all of my interests. The social events allowed me to get involved with the people with whom I wanted to share my next few years, such as the volunteer service. I also found that the events gave me the opportunity to diversify my inner circle, since the people populating the college originated in all walks of life. The lovely surroundings of the college, all forest and fauna, encourage students to take a few minutes to wander before rushing into their cars and off the premesis upon finding freedom from the classroom. There's an ease to be had, watching people recline about the bell tower with either friends or textbooks. From Dalton State College, I've got the confidence of belonging somewhere brighter and more enjoyable to start my life.

Before I came to this school, I wish I'd better understood how to use the school resources, like the library and the gym. There's practices in both places that are extremely useful, but I had to find out through a trial-and-error processs.

I hate the traffic getting to class. There's definitely not enough parking, and it's almost suicide to try to cross pavement between classes. All the best parking is already reserved, and the only little parking garage is as far as it can possibly be from the school itself.

Brandon

If there was one thing I could have told my high school counterpart it would be that procrastination is not the key. In high school it might be easy to get away with, but college professors are not as lenient. Also, study even if you think you do not have to. It does not have to be a lot just skim your notes once maybe twice a day. This will help prevent you from cramming and that ever nagging procrastination problem. Follow these guidelines and I can guarantee your college experience will be much easier. In addition do not catch senioritis at the end of your senior year because it can cost you much needed money in scholarships and grants. Another great way to help you get money for college is to be active in the community and in school clubs/sports. These scholarships are geared toward people with the drive to succeed, and active people usually possess that drive. In the end all it takes to succeed in college is a little studying, a drive to succeed, being active in the community/school, and disregarding all your high school learning habits because college is a whole different ball game.

If there was one thing I could have told my high school counterpart it would be that procrastination is not the key. In high school it might be easy to get away with, but college teachers are not as lenient. Also, study even if you think you do not have to. It does not have to be a lot just skim your notes once maybe twice a day. This will help you prevent cramming from that ever nagging procrastination problem. Follow these guidelines and I can guarantee your college experience will be much easier.

The most frustrating thing about Dalton State would be that it is still structured like a high school. The college experience is supposed to be different from that of high school. In terms of teachers not hand holding students and various activities this school is lacking. I think in order to rectify the situation the attendance policies should be done away with, and that the school should have more entertainment activities going on during school hours for those who are waiting for class.

Randi

If I could go back in time, then I would tell myself to take a year off. During that year, I would work. I went directly from high school to college and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. If I had spent that first year just working and figuring out the 'cost' of life, then I would have not goofed off the first year of college and ran down my GPA. I would also tell myself to choose the college that appeals to me most and not my parents. My mom wanted me to go to NGCSU because it was closer to her. I should have followed my instints and we to DSC and lived with my dad. If I had taken a year off and then attended Dalton State first, then perhaps at 29 years of age, I would actually have a degree and earning decent money. Instead I am struggling just to pay the next rent payment. I am also a single mom of twin girls. If I had put college first instead of wanting to have someone love me, then I could have had my finances in order before I had children.

Dalton state college offers a huge variety of classes at all times of the day. So if you need day, evening, or night classes, then Dalton State College is the place to attend. The teachers are very knowledgable and easy to get along with. It is a great school for working moms like myself that need classes around my work schedule.

The most frustrating thing is parking. There are limited spaces on campus to park, so we have to park at the Northwest GA Trade center and take the shuttle to class.

I would tell myself to learn how to study. Highschool was a breeze a breeze to me, so I never had to study until I got to college. It was very diffucult to learn how to remember everything, but I figured it out. I would also tell myself that I needed to start a savings account and save every penny that I had, becasue every penny counts. College is not cheap.

I like that it is small, because everyone who works on campus is always willling to help. I also like that it is close to home, which means I am able to see my family.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the praking situation. In order to not have to walk a mile to class you have to get to school extra early. With my busy schedule I dont have time to get there early just so I dont have to walk for 15 min to get to class

Joshua

It is a college that offers many different programs and majors. It has a very diverse student body, but it still has a "small town" feel. I have attended a couple different colleges, Dalton State has been the best by far. The other small schools I personally attended did not offer much in the way of diversity. Dalton State does a great job at having a lot to offer but still remain to feel like a community college.

Decide what you want to do and do it. I know that it is scary, and there are many obstacles in the way. You shouldn't let money decide what you want to do. You have what it takes to do anything that you want to do. It is not going to be easy. You can't go to college just to hang out with your friends. College is a time to make new friends and have fun, but ultimately the goal is to learn. College is expensive. This is a huge hurdle to overcome; however, there are many ways around it. Work hard to find all the possible scholarships and financial aid that is available. It is there, you just have to work for it. Again, remember that nothing is immpossible. You can do anything that you want to do in life. Be persistent and diligent. It is not always going to be handed to you.

How many different classes and majors are possible so close to home. I also tell them how the professors really care about their students. The classes are challenging, but they are fun. I talk all the time about how much fun I have going to class.

It is a small campus and close to friends and family.

It is a small campus and close to friends and family.

If I were able to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that college isn't as scary as you think. It takes more studying and more determination than high school, but it is well worth it. There may be rough patches along the way and you may be faced with a lot of tough decisions, but in the end you will look back and be glad that you faced it all head on. Be brave, be strong, don't doubt yourself. You don't know everything and you never will, but you can learn something new every day. Pay attention to the world around you, don't take it all for granted. Don't try to live so fast, it isn't a race to get there. And most of all I would tell myself to just live. College is an experience, not just an education. So enjoy it and make the most of it.

The best thing about Dalton State College has got to be the staff. The professors are all enjoyable and easy to get along with. They are all there for you if you need anything at all.

Cody

My classmates come from diverse backgrounds.

My classmates come from diverse backgrounds.

Dalton State has just received accreditation as a 4 year business school. There are other 4 year degrees also offered such as Nursing, and Early Childhood Education.

If I could go back in time and be a high school senior again, I would say to myself, I need to study harder and take more college prep classes. So far, I have had a good experience my freshman year as a college student. There have been adjustments that have had to be made, but I feel confident I am on the right road. I do wish that I had spent more time as a high school senior becoming more active in clubs and community. By becoming more involved, there would have been more opportunities for me to meet new people and hear new ideas.

Dalton State College is best known for the work students volunteer for and do in the community. there is always an event or activity being posted, for students to be involved in. We volunteer for everything from Food and diaper donations to giving blood.

It has been many years since I was in High School. With that being said, the first thing I would tell myself is- Go to college, do not wait. The most important things to know are to be sure of your major, this is your life long career, you need to pick something you will be just as passionate about 20 years from now. If you have questions, ask them. A proffessor doesn't know your falling behind, if you don't tell them. There are lots of resources available from counseling to tutoring- utalize them, that is what they are there for. Above all else, you must try. You can not be afraid of failing something you haven't done because if you knew what you were really capable of, you would see that you are going to make the Dean's list. Believe in yourself and reach for the stars.

The only fault I can find is the parking. There is no where near enough, but that is due to the amount of new enrolled students.

Lana

I don't really know a lot about other colleges. I attened one years ago but there is really no comparison there. The one thing that stands out in my mind is the fact that a large portion of the students are older as I am and returning to college after working for many years in other professions so I feel we take learning more seriously.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself regarding college life, using the experiences I have had, I would tell myself to be to be ready to learn. Although most people would probably not agree with me, I feel everyone should be ready to learn and have a goal before attending college. Many young adults are pushed into attending college right after high school by their parents, teachers, and peers. The fact they are not ready to attend is never even considered. If they are not ready to go to college to learn and become a professional in whatever field you have chosen then they will not be able meet the challenges ahead. In conclusion, I would tell myself don't go to college because your friends are going, don't go to college because your parents say you have to, and don't go to college because it was preached so much in high schools you think that attending college is just the next step in life. In order to gain all of the knowledge you can from attending college you must know what you really want to do in life and be ready to learn.

Dalton State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.