Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

broghan

the best thing about dartmouth is the school spirit. there's just the right amount of people. people are dartmouth are really down to earth. I spend most of my time in foodcourt. the small town is perfect because it has everything one needs, but nothing extra.

professors reach out to you if you reach out to them. they are very personable and responsive if you need them, but they are not burdensome if you want to learn things on your own. students at dartmouth do everything full out...they play hard and study hard. the library is always packed on monday, tuesday, and thursday nights because on the other nights people like to go out and have fun.

sports teams at all levels and frats/sororities are very popular. I'm on the lacorsse team and it's absolutely amazing. we're a family. the dorms are great...the people in your hall become some of your best friends. people leave rarely lock there doors.

Blake

Dartmouth is a wonderful college located in THE PERFECT college town. Local restaurants with a few bars, and small shops line the main street of Hanover which is set just beyond the campus' central meeting place in beautiful weather, "the Green". That being said, the social life truly is on Frat Row - don't be turned off if you think you aren't the stereotypical "sorority girl" or "frat dude". The Dartmouth students pride ourselves on offering inclusive, creative and, yes, wild parties. I never would have predicted that I would become a member of a local sorority (less restrictions imposed on you because you're not affiliated with national organizations), but I've met really great women as a result! The surrounding community loves its students and the students as well as the many organizations they are involved in are very tapped into serving the community.

I think the closed-minded (AND one who is unwilling to open their mind) student would feel out of place at Dartmouth. Dartmouth is fabulous because the student body has such diverse backgrounds and genuinely love engaging with other students to learn more about their experiences. Most students are also athletes because we are a smaller sized school, yet still Division 1. If students aren't athletes, most love being active in some outdoor/indoor physical activity.

The first is, of course, true for some students. The second (extremely helpful) is for the most part - I have been shocked with how willing people are to help you succeed academically. As for the third stereotype, the strongly male-based alumni have been known to foster an atmosphere that makes stepping out of traditional sex-roles challenging. However, the great thing is that there are hundreds of extremely smart, motivated and strong women to challenge these pressures.

The professors at Dartmouth are here because they want to teach, and they want to teach YOU! They are extremely accessible and most know all of their students' names by the end of the first week of class (even true for large lecture classes of 100+). I'm a Women's and Gender Studies major. In my department, the classes are taught by professors from all departments who truly want to be teaching courses that look at the intersection of race, class, and gender across all disciplines. The discussions in these classes are mindblowing and have enabled me to broaden my learning beyond the classroom to my everyday experiences. These courses are often much smaller, seminar-style classes so professors are even more accessible and truly invested in their students! Many classes have set up times to meet for coffee, pot lucks, or student "pong" (NOT beiruit!!) tournaments.

There are definitely certain images to which each fraternity or sorority is thought to adhere. I'm lucky to be in a sorority that prides itself on having a very eclectic membership. But especially in the fraternities, there is come pooling of team members in specific houses. There are also houses in which the members are not of a specific team and have more in common in some other aspect (ie: EXTREMELY community service oriented, the more preppy boys, etc). Hockey and Lacrosse are big at Dartmouth due to their past successes. I sometimes think that because there is so much to do and be involved with here, the support for sports teams could be stronger than it is.

Extremely liberal, cooperative with/helpful to others. Men are stereotyped to be macho traditional "good old" boys.

kelly

best thing about dartmouth is my friends and the campus. I would change the river dorms. they are TERRIBLE (far away, not nice at all). The school is just right i think with any more people it would be way to crowded. People are taken back when i tell them that I go to dartmouth. they are always like wow. i spend most of my time either in my dorm or on the lacrosse field (includes floren, field, locker room etc) hanover is a cute college town, the only thing i would change is i would put a chipotle in it. the administration tries to support everyone as best as they can. recent controversy is an athlete cheating on a test. there is definitely a lot of school pride.

i would think that it would be hard for a person who does not have a lot of money to fit in as there are always a lot of things that you randomly have to pay for here. it seems that there are a lot of very wealthy kids here. i would definitely say, though, that students of all kind of backgrounds interact. however, sometimes you will see the typical 'asian' table and 'black' table. Those would be two of the four tables. the other two i would say would be filled with athletes from a team and then a group of girls. there is not much talk about life after college. the students are politically active.

i mean there are definitely a lot of kids that are snobs but i do not think that it is any more than any other school would have

all of my professors this far have known my name. my favorite class by far was stephanie boone's writing 2-3 class. there is no comparison to that class. i feel as though there could be more student participation. yes, almost to many intellectual conversations. students don't seem to be competitive. I do not think there should be a math requirement.

i would say that the teams like the hockey, football, lacrose, and soccer teams are the most popular people on campus. athletic events vary each game. The big ivy games are usually the most crowded ones. I play women's lacrosse. almost everyone i know leaves their doors unlocked. if i am awake at 2 am on a tuesday i am doing a project. DOC trips, bonfire, winter carnival, toga party, tdx mas, people party up to 4 times a week typically. frats and sororities are pretty important to our social scene as there isnt a 'bar' scene here. if you do not want to drink you can go see a movie, hang in the dorm, see a show at the hop, hang in collis etc. the only true off campus thing would be to go to west leb for food, movie, wall mart etc.

that all the students are nerdy and snobs

Paige

Definitely a college town. I'd say the best thing about Dartmouth definitely the people and the environment. From the moment I arrived on campus my freshman fall I felt welcomed and like I just became part of a family.

Dartmouth is so diverse that I think any kind of student would feel comfortable at Dartmouth. Most students wear either jeans or sweats to class. Everyone interacts with everyone; there are the different 'groups' or 'stereotypes' of people but people go beyond those superficial walls and make friends with all different kinds of people that they otherwise probably wouldn't have talked to.

Dartmouth is an amazing place and I am lucky to be a part of such an amazing community.

Yes my professors know my name. Students study ALL the time. It's very demanding and rigorous. Yes Dartmouth students definitely have intellectual converstaions outside of class. Yes I spend time outside of class with professors sometimes. By saying the students are competitive I would say yes they are very motivated and want to do well but it is not like competing against each other. Students are very helpful and friendly.

traditions/event that happen each year: homecoming bonfire and freshman sweep, snow sculpture, greenkey. People party any and every night of the week. There are huge dance parties almost every weekend and other parties every other night. Frats and Sororities are huge. The frats host huge dance parties and pong in the basement. Going to the frats is like going to the club with your school but alot more fun. Last Saturday night I went to a dance party at one of the frats.

Kelsey

The best thing about Dartmouth is by far the people that go to school here. Everyone is an amazing individual and there are very few people who are not nice and genuine. If I could change one thing it would definitely be the location. I mean sometimes the rural New Hampshire wilderness is beautiful and I really enjoy it, I just wish we were a little closer to Boston or New York.

Dartmouth is in the middle of no where, but it is a great little community. There all types of people here, some of my closest friends are from New York City and I come straight from the beaches of San Diego. There is an immense amount of variety here. Alot of the guys here get upset because the girls dont dress up as much as other girls at other schools when they go out. This is true because it doesn't make any sense to dress like that when you have to walk through snow and ice to get to a fraternity.

The most attended sporting events are definitely football and men's hockey, which is not surprising. Women's volleyball gets a good number of fans probably the most out of female sports which is nice. The kids in my dorm almost NEVER lock their doors. We all feel so safe that there is really no need to lock them. People party probably almost every night here, but mostly on monday, wednesday, and of course friday and saturday. But if you want to play pong at any time, any day of the week you probably could. Fraternities and sororities are a big part of the social scene, they almost make it up in entirely. i am not really sure what you can do on a Saturday besides go to a frat party

That Dartmouth is in the middle of no where and all the kids that go here are tree-hugging, out doorsy types. There is also a big stereotype that the girls here are not very attractive, but the culture here is so "rural".

Evan

I love Dartmouth because everyone is so friendly and I constantly feel like I am part of a big, happy family (sort of like Barney except not G-rated). It's just the right size. There are days when I see twenty people I know just on my way to lunch, and there are days when I might not see a single familiar face unless I plan to meet up with someone. Dartmouth has the least pretentious students of all the Ivies, but I still get an awed reaction from people when I tell them I go here. Of course, there will always be that annoying freshman who thinks that if you don't go to an Ivy League than you might as well not go to college. I usually ignore these students, because they are soulless creatures that never see the light of day. I divide my time between relaxing in my room, studying in the library, and partying on frat row. I hardly ever spend time in Hanover proper because it is tiny and lacks vitality. The tourism board might call it charming, though, and I would probably agree. The only problem I have with Dartmouth is the board of Alumni. It’s nice that they donate money to the school, but sometimes I feel like they need to get a life. So many of them complain about how Dartmouth should go back to the “old days.” Unfortunately, this means when there were no women at Dartmouth and most of the school’s money went into training the football team. Other than that, Dartmouth is a pretty progressive school and there is a tremendous amount of school pride.

Dartmouth is an incredibly diverse school. Very rarely will you see groups of friends that are purely homogeneous. There are lots of racial minorities (esp. Native Americans) as well as people of varying sexual orientation and gender identity. In addition, there is a huge amount of political diversity and financial diversity as well. Granted, there are a good amount of rich students, but these amount to only about half of the school’s population. Being a gay student, I can say that my experience has been very positive. Not once have I dealt with blatant discrimination or harassment. I have only encountered tolerance, and very often acceptance, from my peers. My only problem is that a lot of other LGBT students don’t feel the same way. I feel like sometimes Dartmouth breeds a large amount of semi-closeted LGBT students because of the (slightly) intimidating Greek scene. Not to say there isn’t a substantial amount of out LGBT students here; they just aren’t all extremely vocal. Overall, Dartmouth is a very open-minded and progressive school and the environment is overwhelmingly tolerant and accepting.

Dartmouth students love sex. Although there are people that date, the hookup scene is very predominant, mostly because of the "work-hard/play-hard" environment. This makes being a Sexpert soooo much more fun.

Although there are always people who don't particularly like to party, the stereotypes are mostly true. We're definitely a work-hard/play-hard school.

There will be classes where the amount of students exceeds 50, but these are very rare. And even in these classes, the professors are still very accessible. I loved my film class in Freshman Fall because my prof actually cared about us and she helped me come up with an awesome idea for my final project. There hasn't been a class I despised yet, so I'm holding my breath. Students tend to study a lot, but are not that competitive. As I said before, I tend to ignore the few competitive students because they are extremely annoying and spend most of their time in library alcoves anyway. Dartmouth is very much a center for intellectualism. Students will often times have intellectual conversations outside of class, especially if they are taking a course that genuinely interests them (and this is common, even when we have to take distributive requirements.)

There are lots of activities at Dartmouth, most of them being free or very cheap. Although students spend lots of time in the frats and sororities, there are a large amount of performances at the arts center on campus. Sometimes there will even be famous people that come and talk about their glamorous (or not so glamorous) lives to make us feel less important than them. There are also a lot of student organizations to join. I am a Sexpert, which means that I have been trained to counsel students on topics ranging from contraception to sex toys. I also assistant directed a play last term, even though I had not been involved with a stage production since middle school. Usually, dorms are also centers of student life and entertainment. Very frequently, students will just pop into each other’s rooms and say hi, especially if they live on the same floor. Every now and then, I take a bus to Boston or even West Leb (which is much closer) for nice shopping, food, or entertainment.

We are very laid-back, even when we have a humongous courseload and there's homework piled up to our necks. We love to rage (party) and spend a majority of our weekends in frat basements or in Greek dance parties. We are also extremely independent individuals, and we appreciate diversity.

Royce

Dartmouth is Hanover. The town was created because of the college, but it is a very nice place even though it doesn't have much.

Dartmouth students do drink a lot and frat parties are what they are stereotyped to be Dartmouth is not super conservative like it used to be. Overall more liberal

I have good relationships with many of my professors. I may not be the norm, but I have 9 or 10 professors (and yes I am only a sophomore) that I will stop and talk to if I see them. They are very amenable to consultation and try to help you through there classes in any way they can (for the most part) Education here is geared both towards getting a job and learning for its own sake, it depends on the department.

Jesse

The best thing about Dartmouth is definitely the feeling that everyone is so happy to be here. While people talk about the "Dartmouth Bubble" as though it were a negative, I think its a positive. Yes, its easy to completely lose track of whats going on outside of about a five mile radius from where you are, but what the bubble does provide is a sense of togetherness that I think a lot of people miss at larger schools. Since about a quarter of the student body is off-campus on any one term because of the D-plan, Dartmouth has an effective student body size of about 3000: big enough so that you don't feel like you know everyone after a month, but definitely small enough to create a tight community atmosphere. I wouldn't really call Hanover a town... its more like a few streets with some shops and restaurants. Fortunately, that's totally irrelevant, because Dartmouth provides plenty of opportunities for its students. The Hop, our arts center, holds concerts, shows, art exhibitions, and movies; the Tucker Foundation coordinates community service; student clubs and performance groups blitz (Blitz = Dartmouth email, which is checked by students approximately 100 times a day) out about activities and meetings; frats and sororities provide the parties. If you're apprehensive about coming here because of its location, don't worry - you won't be bored. One word of caution - the frats dominate the mainstream social scene. Unlike at other schools, frat basements are always open, and open to all, but they are where the parties are. Obviously not everyone chooses to frequent them, and there are always other things to do on weekends, but the majority of the student body goes Greek.

I'd say the one word to describe Dartmouth's student body is "chill". No one really cares if you're more into the DOC than the frats, the frats than your classes, or if the library is your second home. Getting ready in the morning is not a big deal either, especially in the winter when you're going to be hidden by so many layers no one really is going to care what you're wearing. I would say that a significant percentage of the student body comes from upper-middle to upper class backgrounds, but that the only type of person who would feel out of place here is one who is close minded. If you arrive for your freshman DOC trip and judge the antics of the flair-wearing H-Croo, rather than join in, Dartmouth isn't for you.

Drinking is definitely prevalent on the Dartmouth campus, but its more by choice than by the fact that we have nothing better to do. Though I don't know many who avoid the party scene altogether, I know a surprising number of people who go out to frats and either don't drink or drink responsibly. That being said, drinking is a large part of the social culture here, and even if you personally don't want to partake in it, you will be surrounded by it. As far as the winter goes, it really is not that bad. Buy some boots and a down coat and you'll be just fine.

Dartmouth is unique among the Ivies in that it is only an undergraduate institution; it is a college, not a university. While it has excellent Business, Medical, and Engineering schools affiliated with it, Dartmouth is entirely focused on its undergraduates. Because of this, even freshmen get into small classes with excellent professors. The Economics and Government departments are famously large, but even the intro classes in those deparments are usually capped at around fifty students. Aside from those and from large pre-med classes, Dartmouth does a fantastic job at facilitating small class sizes and student-professor mentoring. If you come here, the best advice I can give you is that you should go to office hours with your professor. If you're confused about something, they will work with you until you get it; if you just want to chat about the class, other classes in the department, majors, or life in general, they will be thrilled to hear from you. Because of the quarter system, Dartmouth students usually only take three courses per term (you can have a limited number of terms with either two or four courses). I personally love this system: your classes end before you ever hit that end of term slump that semesters seem to encourage. However, ten week terms mean that classes move very quickly, and "midterms" last pretty much from the second week to the second to last week of classes. Dartmouth students have to work hard, but the workload is definitely manageable. But the upside to the quarter system is the D-plan, which allows students to choose what terms they want off, what terms they want to be on campus, and what terms they want to participate in study abroad programs. Dartmouth's study abroad programs fantastic, and the system practically begs you to spend at least one term, if not more, abroad.

We're stuck out in the middle of nowhere with nothing better to do than drink, and that a New Hampshire winter will surely destroy anyone coming from anywhere south of say, New Hampshire.

Sean

Best thing about Dartmouth - People. They're smart, open-minded, active, and loaded with talents. For instance, most people speak at least two languages and play at least one instrument. Thing I'd change - Cost. I've been out for nearly 10 years and I'm still paying for it. They do make it affordable for everyone but it's still so expensive. School size - Just right. 1,100 students per class. It gradually increases (used to be like 40 per graduating class in 1770s) but the rate of increase is acceptable. I like graduating and at least recognizing 75%+ of the names being announced at graduation. People's reaction when I tell them I went to Dartmouth - Impressed. They know Dartmouth is a smart school and, perhaps, didn't think I was that smart. Most of my time on campus - Student Centers. Whether it was dining hall (most students are on centralized meal plans), performance spaces (like the Hopkins Center or Collis Commonground), or meeting areas for clubs/radio station/tv (like Robinson Hall), I tended to be where other students were. College town - Yes. Dartmouth is the epitome of a "college town" Dartmouth's administration - Love to hate them. It's a unifying thing, us (students) vs. them but really they're fantastic. They truly care about everyone and want the school to survive and thrive. Biggest recent controversy on campus - Greek vs. Non-Greek. The Greek (frat) system was a very key component of campus life in Dartmouth's past but, in an effort to take more control, Administration is offering more alternatives to becoming a part and harsher penalties for Greek misbehavior. School pride - Yes. Tons of it. I still have five shirts, a calendar, a facebook application, an email account, countless address labels, an improv troupe, and several bumper stickers with "Dartmouth" on it...and I don't even have a car! Also, I don't think I'm alone. I'm in touch with several other alums with similar paraphernalia. Anything unusual about Dartmouth - There's a graveyard surrounding about 1/3 of the campus. One experience I'll always remember - Late Night Food Court. Meeting some friends just before the dining hall closed (~1am) and eating mediocre food and chatting about everything. It felt like we owned the campus. These were the seeds of inside jokes that I still share with my friends 9 years after graduation. After the dining hall would close we'd return in a blizzard to our respective dorm rooms and blitz (Dartmouth for "email") each other until the server went down at 3am (which I'm told doesn't happen any more). The most frequent student complaints - Lack of diversity. It's true. It would be nice to have a more diverse campus. I feel that the Administration is moving that direction.

All racial, religious, LGBT, socio-economic groups exist on campus. In general, I felt everyone was treated fairly and with few exceptions, without incident. The exceptions were dealt with very publicly and political correctness reigned supreme. I'm not sure who would feel out of place at Dartmouth but can guess folks completely unfamiliar with the outdoors, closed-minded about trying new things, and unwilling to befriend non-like individuals would have difficulty. Perhaps citylovers would be out of place too. Students wear whatever is warm and comfortable. Function over fashion. Different types of students do interact but tend to spend most of the time around similar types. Four tables... table 1: me and my comedy friends from the improv group, humor magazine, and film classes table 2: wealthy lacrosse folks taking a break from drinking at the frat house table 3: outdoorsy girls eating granola and yogurt and studying while they talk table 4: african american table Most Dartmouth students are from middle to uppermiddle class suburban North Eastern states. Students are politically active for the New Hampshire primary (once every four years). The other times of the year, only the student government folks are politically active. Most are way left of center. Some students talk about how much they'll earn. Avoid them and avoid being them.

I love Dartmouth and after taking this survey, miss it dearly.

Yes, except about being "conservative". It's an Ivy League school so the students are overwhelmingly liberal but there is a newspaper on campus called the Dartmouth Review that few people write and fewer read that is distributed free to everyone courtesy of conservative alums from way back. That being said, I never attended any other school so I really don't know what it's like in comparison to other schools.

Yes, I know professors name and they insist you call them by it. My favorite class was an animation class because the professor (Ehrlich) was inspiring, and each day we would create and eventually showcase our creativity. Least favorite was Math 18 (Multivariable Calculus). I placed out of the lower levels of math and was put in a class with folks who were better prepared for it. I thought I was a math nerd...turns out I was only a math nerd in suburban Florida. Students study often. Certain majors (Math, Chemistry, Economics) more than others (English, Film). Student participation is very common, particularly in non-lecture classes. Dartmouth students have many intellectual conversations outside of class. Sometimes all-night philosophical discussions, sometimes in discussion groups, heck, I even had intellectual discussions at midnight in the basement of a frat while playing drinking games. Students can be very competitive. It's how they got into Dartmouth and some don't stop...ever, even after graduation. I tended to hang out with the less competitive bunch (the comedians, film majors, creative folk). But, yes, the math/pre-med/econ majors are very competitive. Most unique was probably the animation class. It was taught by a world class animator (David Ehrlich) and probably required more work than other class I ever took. But, we were animating cartoons. Film Studies department at Dartmouth is growing. Now they have a bigger budget and much more resources. When I was there, we had "enough" but nothing more. Editing on steenbecks was a very informative but I prefer the current avids I hear students have access to. The professors of film are very well known in their field. Authorities on Hitchcock (the late Al LaValley) as well as famous screenwriters (Maury Rapf) were a couple that stand out. I did not spend much time with professors outside of class but I have stayed in touch with a couple. Also, several folks in whichever class DID have a lot of contact with professors. Dartmouth academic requirements were, across the board, awesome. It's a liberal arts education so you have to take a little of everything and a lot of your major. It was challenging but rewarding. Education at Dartmouth is to prepare you for the world for your own sake. Certain corporate recruiters come to campus to get Dartmouth students but, in general, Dartmouth is educating you to help you.

Most popular groups/teams are dance groups (Sheba) and a capella groups (the Aires) and the ski team I was involved with the Dartmouth Dog Day Players, an improv group. We played at student centers and frats around campus. It was sort of like "who's line is it anyway?" but us. Students leave their dorm room open often but now I hear that in order to get into the dorm (from the outside) you have to swipe your student id. Winter Carnival is a popular athletic event for the ski team. Otherwise, just football games are popular. Guest speakers are very popular. Typically political figures or pundits. Theater is very popular. A mainstage, and several other plays go up each term. Dating is not the best. CAmpus is small and options are few and far between. There is quite a bit of "hooking up" but not much dating (that I observed). I met my closest friends pursuing activities that interested me (improv, comedy, radio). 2am on Tuesday I'm probably eating some EBA breadsticks and some pizza with a couple of friends. Traditions...Dartmouth is full of them. There is a homecoming bonfire, winter carnival, green key weekend (spring excuse to party) and each summer there is something called Tubestock (where folks all go down the Connecticut river in tubes). Other traditions include freshman running around the bonfire, seniors sitting on the fence on the green, Dartmouth Outing Club freshman trips, the Baker Tower bells chiming the alma mater every day at 6p. People party every night. Frats and sororities are where they do the partying. Nondrinking activities include comedy shows, radio shows, theater, eating at a local eating establishment, singing at the Lone Pine tavern, playing one of many sports (ski/sled/skate). Off campus is tough to get to unless you have a car, most of us don't. You can go to west leb for taco bell and dept shopping (chain stores don't exist in hanover). You can also roadtrip to Boston or Montreal (both 3 hours), or stop by the gorge.

Fratty nerds. Work hard and party hard. Outdoorsy. Active. Conservative.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.