Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

Ali

Dartmouth College is a place where students are encouraged to grow academically, socially, and extracurricularly. The challenges we face inside and outside of the classroom give us experience that will lead to our future successes. Opportunities are available daily, you just have to seek them out. In a small, college town like Hanover, involvement is crucial. Dartmouth makes it easy to find something you love and inspires you to dive right into it. I am proud to be at Dartmouth College, not because it is prestigious, but because it is a beautiful, welcoming place, where I am learning constantly.

Robert

"Dance for the French girls!" Accept the little opportunities that life brings, and embrace them without fear or embarrassment. During college, I had the chance to visit Madrid, Spain as part of a weeklong conference on social thought. While riding the Metro, our group struck up a conversation with some fellow attendees from France. These young women were fans of Shakira's "Waka Waka," which just happened to be our freshman class song. Naturally, I had fond memories of the choreographed dance that upperclassmen had taught me during orientation. But did I perform it for them, there in public, despite prompting from my fellow students as the song blared overhead? No. It's a decision I regret to this day. We all spend time worrying about what others think, but I should have never let self-conciousness get in the way of a wonderful moment. I should have thrown caution to the winds. I should have danced, not my sake, but for theirs. College is a time for diving in headfirst, for trying new things, for rising to the occasion. Remember that, and you'll be prepared not only for the next semester, but for the rest of your life.

I talk about the small class sizes, engaging professors, and strong communal spirit. It is the people that make Dartmouth what it is. More than anything, students are tied together by their shared affection for the granite and woods of New Hampshire. The school holds a special place in their hearts; in the words of Daniel Webster (Class of 1801), Dartmouth "tis but a small college, but there are those who love it." Dartmouth students, more than others, value college traditions and keep them alive for posterity.

The Dartmouth social scene is dominated by Greek life.

Liza

Dartmouth College is a top-tier, post-secondary institution with an abundance of opportunities for intellectual, creative, and social engagement.

Dear Liza, First, stop looking at your phone. This letter is more important. Thank you. Now, I want to discuss the last topic you want to think about right now: your college decision process. Namely, I am urging you not to underestimate the importance of visiting a college before you commit to it. I know it's aggravating when many of the financial aid eligible visiting periods are scheduled around the same time (also during the busiest part of your high school career) and you don't have the money to visit colleges on your own. Hear me out anyway. You know this must be a compelling letter if I would locate a time-traveling device just to send it to you. As I write this, you are a college freshman. You are not miserable, but you would be happier if you had actually seen the campus that could be your home for four years. You think you can learn all you need to know about a college by researching it, but you are spending your first weeks of college in a haze of insecurity because of the stark newness of your environment. Please, consider your own comfort. It matters.

I wish I had known how to prepare for the difference in culture. Dartmouth students are very extraverted, and this overwhelmed me a bit when I first arrived on campus. It has taken me a while to balance my frequent desire for low-key social environments with the never-ending social scene at Dartmouth, for I didn't realize at first how much immediate urgency there would be to "find your place" or "fit in" on campus.

Luke

Dartmouth's location fosters a very close knit community. The surrounding area is beautiful and the students and professors all love being outdoors.

Luke, Please pay attention to the following thoughts as they are intended to have a meaningful and positive impact on your future. Live without regret. The worst thing in the world is to regret decisions, actions, or a lack of action. Part of living without regret means that you need to be aware of the impact your decisions will make on your future. Spend more time thinking about how your academic focus and studies will help you in your professional life after you graduate. Consider majoring in Engineering. It is a very difficult program and you will not be able to have as much of a social life, but in the long run it may help you achieve bigger and better things over the coming decades. I think you will enjoy it because I know your mind works that way, and because Grandpa was an engineer and it would make him proud. Use the first two summers between semesters to do something productive that will better you as a peson and improve your resume. You won't have many skills when you begin, so be happy and willing to start at the bottom and work your way up. Best, Luke

Nothing, Dartmouth is a great place to be all around.

Keandra

Well hello Mr/Ms. Senior Student, You have made it. After all the hard work and dedeciation of four years of learning, you are ready! Though high school is almost complete, life is not. Now it is time to search in your heart about what it is you want to major in as a student in college. Remembering what you do now, reflects your future outcome. Doing what you love will never count as a work day in life. So I encourage you to search for what it is you are most passion about and to stick with it. It has been proven that workers who actually work for what they love, produce better quality and/or work performance. Yes, statistics always tells the advantages and disadvantages of a job, yet having passion will make you successful in almost anything. But while on the verge to success, make use of time and charisma on the way. Stick to your chore values and remaain focus in school at all times and success will be there waiting just for you. Sincerely, Yours

Joshua

My classmates are fun, supportive, laid back but extremely smart, focused and athletic. They might appear to be laid back and granola, but in reality they are an accomplished and brilliant lot. They are attending an Ivy school for a reason.

Don't sweat the choices. Any choice you make is the right one. You will be fine!

Only self-sufficient, smart, highly focused and extremely involved students need apply. Admission to Dartmouth is extremely competitive; once you arrive on campus you will see why. Everyone is accomplished, smart and highly involved. There are literally hundreds of activities available to the undergraduate student, from ski patrol on the Dartmouth Skiway, to several different a capella groups to any number of fraternities, sororities, dance groups, social justice groups, Zen gatherings, yoga, atheist groups and on and on.... incredible education and a chance to live and study among the best and brightest, all in the beautiful great white North.

Cristy

The best thing about Dartmouth is the community, the family, that I've found. The students are all hard-working, and amazing, individuals, and all of the professors have become like parents to me. As the only person from my high school to ever attend Dartmouth, I was scared that I would be lost and alone. But, I've found my place, and it's absolutely the most amazing and fulfilling thing that has ever happened to me. I love Dartmouth.

Girl. Apply to more scholarships. It's not just about being able to afford school, but also about wanting to do internships off-campus. In Fall of your junior year, you'll have to give up the opportunity to work at Madison Square Garden because you don't have enough money to live in New York for a term. Seriously. Start saving money. Also, you need money to go to London. And trust me, you want to go to London again. It's a sad fact of life, but, a lot depends on money (or lack thereof). That being said, enjoy Freshman year. Get as involved in the theater as possible, and make sure you befriend Carol Dunne so that she'll hire you at her theater (it'll be the best summer of your life). You're gonna go through some changes in what you major in, but, it's all for the best. You probably still want to work for the FBI, but, I'll let you know, that's not what you really want. And that's okay. Dartmouth is the best thing that will ever happen to you. Ever. Don't doubt it for a second.

The worst thing about Dartmouth has probably been the travel expenses to get there. I live fairly far away, and plane tickets are very expensive. But, it's totally worth it.

moonshine

Given that Dartmouth's alumni giving rate is always one of the top, it's pretty obvious that the vast majority of students love their time here. Because Dartmouth is located in the middle of the woods in Hanover, NH, students here really live in the Dartmouth bubble and get to become very close with each other. I think having just around 4000 undergrads is a great size--big enough that there are plenty of people you don't know, but not so large you need a bus to shuttle around campus. Hanover itself is beautiful in the fall, although winters here tend to be rough. That's the one thing I would change about the school. One of the most unique things is the freshmen "Trips" that around 90% of incoming freshmen attend. Groups of around 8-10 kids are lead by upperclassmen on a variety of outdoors trips and instantly fall in love with the school. Freshmen floors themselves tend to be very close. Quality of housing is quite good, and as much as we may complain abou the food, the quality is actually decent. Also, every term (we're on the quarter system), we have a giant party weekend that's always lots of fun. Pong here is better than beirut played at every other campus

The quality of undergrad education at Dartmouth, with the exception of a handful, is unparalleled by other research universities. I have never had any classes taught by TAs and the largest class I've had was around 150 people. Many departments, such as economics, cap the class sizes at 35 or so, so that you always have access to professors during office hours. Econ and gov't are the most popular majors, but you can easily double major (my majors are economics and neuroscience), or you can modify your major, or minor. Classes are tough, but you learn a lot both from the professors and other students. Some students are competitive, particularly in certain majors, but definitely to a lesser degree compared to other top schools Distributive requirements make sure that you take plenty of classes outside of your major

The average Dartmouth student definitely has the "work hard, play hard" attitude. Everyone is very smart, and the library is always pretty packed, even though everyone tries to let on that they work less hard than they actually do. People tend to overdramatize how much they procrastinate and make showy declarations of how many all-nighters they pull the night before big assignment due dates or midterms. The social scene is heavily Greek dominated, but the Greek houses are generally pretty inclusive.

Charley

If I was able to go back in time to give an advice to my-self is to start studying hard in high school, and study ahead of everybody else. College is almost like high school as, finishing assignment, and be on time to classroom. I know that we have the most difficult time on our speaking and finish our work on time because we doesn’t talk much with people, and some-time didn’t finish our work on time, because we have too much thing to do like home-work from different class. The little me, I advising you to improve you’re lack of speaking in English because it an importance role in college and keep in mind to keep thing in order. So far what I learn from college was memory principles for reading, and processing information from textbooks. They are the thing I want you to learn because it very importance in college to. The best way to success in college was to do your work because in college you are on your own. The entire thing I have told you do them and take action, and success the future, and good luck little one.

Dear Hannah (WHS ’11),I know your academic prospects seem pretty bleak. You are frantically finishing a paper for AP English while studying for exams in AP Art History and Physics, all for tomorrow. You cannot imagine how much more challenging college will be.Allow me to offer you some advice. Although you have aversion toward your rigorous high-school schedule, take advantage of it. Use these advanced classes not only for test preparation, but also for general educational value. Develop and perfect your own study methods now, so you will be confident in your learning ability in college. Accustom yourself to focusing and reading efficiently. AP textbooks seem intimidating now, but can you imagine a load that is impossible to read in its entirety? Review your course materials with selective eyes, and remain attentive in class, for your professors will give hints to the most important information. Finally, you deserve quality sleep! With every hour of sleep you lose, your immune system suffers — missing class because of illness is detrimental to the continuity of learning. I know you are a diligent worker and a tenacious student, but please do not forget to preserve your health.Sincerely,Hannah (Dartmouth ’15)

I wish I had paid more attention to Dartmouth's information pamphlets and discovered that students are encouraged to engage in the diverse array of research opportunities as early as freshman year. I later read articles about how students, even with limited work experience, can make connections with faculty mentors in order to learn about their fields while assisting them with their projects. I also wish I had known about Dartmouth's career services. This office is an invaluable resource, assisting students with future plans and providing internship and employment opportunities.

Students who are looking for a school to challenge themselves academically and athletically within the Ivy League, to explore their interests through a liberal arts education, to engage in research and study-abroad opportunities in order to apply their knowledge outside the classroom, to form intellectual relationships with peers and professors within a close-knit community, to feel the sense of belonging in a town that nurtures its youth, to immerse themselves in the refreshing and invigorating environment of New England, to become one with nature, to proudly call their Alma Mater.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.