Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

Bryan

Even though I have only been at Dartmouth for a year I have already grown very attached to the school. I have met many great people and have learned a lot about subjects in which I am pursuing a degree and myself as a global leader. Dartmouth has been incredibly difficult however its ever-growing challenges only inspire me to improve.

Joseph

I woke at 6am to sun rays cutting through a light fog over the Connecticut river and the fields of the Dartmouth’s student-run farm. I joined another guy on my freshman orientation trip for a run in the foggy hills. "I can’t believe I live here." I wake between 6 and 7am most mornings for the two-minute bike ride to our boathouse. The Connecticut is generally calm; our oars are the only noise I hear, aside from the yells from a coach or rower as we lean into the oars, three boats of eight side by side in competition. On and off the water, the team is my strongest support group. As an engineer, outside of class I press through differential equations, or try to better understand the theory of special relativity, by myself, with peers, at a session with teacher’s assistants, or with my professor. Rowing makes office hours hard to make, so I make appointments with professors, or contact one of my charismatic, wizard-like classmates. I fall asleep by ten or eleven p.m. to get my eight hours almost every night, and I think I learned more during freshman year than in all my sleep-deprived high school experience. I programmed my first Arduino this year, and learned to solve a second order non-linear differential equation with matrices. Before, I never knew the destruction of the second temple of Jerusalem in the year 70 (C.E.) eliminated a centralized knowledge of a "correct" reading of the bible, leaving its meaning up to interpretation. I never before read between the lines of old English records of early interactions with Native Algonquians, to build a Native American side of the European colonization story. I learned that eating beef destroys mother nature more than mast anything else I do in a day, and so I no longer eat beef. No matter my learning and rowing schedule, I never skip riding my bike, playing my fiddle, conversing with my peers, and enjoying the rural air.

My visit opened my eyes to positive aspects of Dartmouth I had not known about. The upperclassmen (so unbelievably down-to-earth and understanding) I spoke to truly convinced me that Dartmouth is really a special place. I visited the DEN (I immediately found some sense of place here :)) and I attended some mock classes (Prof. Curtis in an Economics 1 class proved to me that teachers were most definitely scholars and were genuinely excited by their professional field). This is still so funny to me, but by the end of the day, my perspective of Dartmouth changed from an intimidating place where I felt rather lonely and lost, to a place that beyond suits my academic interests and one that offers such a special intellectual and social experience.

Ali

Dartmouth College is a place where students are encouraged to grow academically, socially, and extracurricularly. The challenges we face inside and outside of the classroom give us experience that will lead to our future successes. Opportunities are available daily, you just have to seek them out. In a small, college town like Hanover, involvement is crucial. Dartmouth makes it easy to find something you love and inspires you to dive right into it. I am proud to be at Dartmouth College, not because it is prestigious, but because it is a beautiful, welcoming place, where I am learning constantly.

Robert

"Dance for the French girls!" Accept the little opportunities that life brings, and embrace them without fear or embarrassment. During college, I had the chance to visit Madrid, Spain as part of a weeklong conference on social thought. While riding the Metro, our group struck up a conversation with some fellow attendees from France. These young women were fans of Shakira's "Waka Waka," which just happened to be our freshman class song. Naturally, I had fond memories of the choreographed dance that upperclassmen had taught me during orientation. But did I perform it for them, there in public, despite prompting from my fellow students as the song blared overhead? No. It's a decision I regret to this day. We all spend time worrying about what others think, but I should have never let self-conciousness get in the way of a wonderful moment. I should have thrown caution to the winds. I should have danced, not my sake, but for theirs. College is a time for diving in headfirst, for trying new things, for rising to the occasion. Remember that, and you'll be prepared not only for the next semester, but for the rest of your life.

I talk about the small class sizes, engaging professors, and strong communal spirit. It is the people that make Dartmouth what it is. More than anything, students are tied together by their shared affection for the granite and woods of New Hampshire. The school holds a special place in their hearts; in the words of Daniel Webster (Class of 1801), Dartmouth "tis but a small college, but there are those who love it." Dartmouth students, more than others, value college traditions and keep them alive for posterity.

The Dartmouth social scene is dominated by Greek life.

Liza

Dartmouth College is a top-tier, post-secondary institution with an abundance of opportunities for intellectual, creative, and social engagement.

Dear Liza, First, stop looking at your phone. This letter is more important. Thank you. Now, I want to discuss the last topic you want to think about right now: your college decision process. Namely, I am urging you not to underestimate the importance of visiting a college before you commit to it. I know it's aggravating when many of the financial aid eligible visiting periods are scheduled around the same time (also during the busiest part of your high school career) and you don't have the money to visit colleges on your own. Hear me out anyway. You know this must be a compelling letter if I would locate a time-traveling device just to send it to you. As I write this, you are a college freshman. You are not miserable, but you would be happier if you had actually seen the campus that could be your home for four years. You think you can learn all you need to know about a college by researching it, but you are spending your first weeks of college in a haze of insecurity because of the stark newness of your environment. Please, consider your own comfort. It matters.

I wish I had known how to prepare for the difference in culture. Dartmouth students are very extraverted, and this overwhelmed me a bit when I first arrived on campus. It has taken me a while to balance my frequent desire for low-key social environments with the never-ending social scene at Dartmouth, for I didn't realize at first how much immediate urgency there would be to "find your place" or "fit in" on campus.

Luke

Dartmouth's location fosters a very close knit community. The surrounding area is beautiful and the students and professors all love being outdoors.

Luke, Please pay attention to the following thoughts as they are intended to have a meaningful and positive impact on your future. Live without regret. The worst thing in the world is to regret decisions, actions, or a lack of action. Part of living without regret means that you need to be aware of the impact your decisions will make on your future. Spend more time thinking about how your academic focus and studies will help you in your professional life after you graduate. Consider majoring in Engineering. It is a very difficult program and you will not be able to have as much of a social life, but in the long run it may help you achieve bigger and better things over the coming decades. I think you will enjoy it because I know your mind works that way, and because Grandpa was an engineer and it would make him proud. Use the first two summers between semesters to do something productive that will better you as a peson and improve your resume. You won't have many skills when you begin, so be happy and willing to start at the bottom and work your way up. Best, Luke

Nothing, Dartmouth is a great place to be all around.

Keandra

Well hello Mr/Ms. Senior Student, You have made it. After all the hard work and dedeciation of four years of learning, you are ready! Though high school is almost complete, life is not. Now it is time to search in your heart about what it is you want to major in as a student in college. Remembering what you do now, reflects your future outcome. Doing what you love will never count as a work day in life. So I encourage you to search for what it is you are most passion about and to stick with it. It has been proven that workers who actually work for what they love, produce better quality and/or work performance. Yes, statistics always tells the advantages and disadvantages of a job, yet having passion will make you successful in almost anything. But while on the verge to success, make use of time and charisma on the way. Stick to your chore values and remaain focus in school at all times and success will be there waiting just for you. Sincerely, Yours

Joshua

My classmates are fun, supportive, laid back but extremely smart, focused and athletic. They might appear to be laid back and granola, but in reality they are an accomplished and brilliant lot. They are attending an Ivy school for a reason.

Don't sweat the choices. Any choice you make is the right one. You will be fine!

Only self-sufficient, smart, highly focused and extremely involved students need apply. Admission to Dartmouth is extremely competitive; once you arrive on campus you will see why. Everyone is accomplished, smart and highly involved. There are literally hundreds of activities available to the undergraduate student, from ski patrol on the Dartmouth Skiway, to several different a capella groups to any number of fraternities, sororities, dance groups, social justice groups, Zen gatherings, yoga, atheist groups and on and on.... incredible education and a chance to live and study among the best and brightest, all in the beautiful great white North.

Cristy

The best thing about Dartmouth is the community, the family, that I've found. The students are all hard-working, and amazing, individuals, and all of the professors have become like parents to me. As the only person from my high school to ever attend Dartmouth, I was scared that I would be lost and alone. But, I've found my place, and it's absolutely the most amazing and fulfilling thing that has ever happened to me. I love Dartmouth.

Girl. Apply to more scholarships. It's not just about being able to afford school, but also about wanting to do internships off-campus. In Fall of your junior year, you'll have to give up the opportunity to work at Madison Square Garden because you don't have enough money to live in New York for a term. Seriously. Start saving money. Also, you need money to go to London. And trust me, you want to go to London again. It's a sad fact of life, but, a lot depends on money (or lack thereof). That being said, enjoy Freshman year. Get as involved in the theater as possible, and make sure you befriend Carol Dunne so that she'll hire you at her theater (it'll be the best summer of your life). You're gonna go through some changes in what you major in, but, it's all for the best. You probably still want to work for the FBI, but, I'll let you know, that's not what you really want. And that's okay. Dartmouth is the best thing that will ever happen to you. Ever. Don't doubt it for a second.

The worst thing about Dartmouth has probably been the travel expenses to get there. I live fairly far away, and plane tickets are very expensive. But, it's totally worth it.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.