Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

DeVon

Besides receiving a well-rounded education at Dartmouth College, I have garnered many experiences that have facilitated my personal growth and happiness. Because of Dartmouth’s unique student body and liberal course policies, I am now much more knowledgeable about various worldviews and sciences, proficient in Spanish, and adept in the piano, the acoustic guitar, and the drums. If I achieve my ultimate goal of becoming a legislator, the diverse and intellectual environment of Dartmouth will aid my understanding of complex social issues and my decision-making, especially in terms of balancing the interests of my constituents. Moreover, learning how to speak Spanish by Dartmouth's “in-class and drill method” will assist me in communicating with the public in my home state of Texas, where Hispanics (or Latinos) are the largest minority and continuously increase in numbers. As Dartmouth is an Ivy League and NCAA Division 1 institution, I have competed academically and athletically against the crème of the crop at a college approximately 1,800 miles away from my hometown, which has made me stronger intellectually and psychologically. Lastly, attending Dartmouth has encouraged me to take up musical instruments that will provide me with life-long fulfillment.

The best thing about Dartmouth is the challenging nature of coursework because it allows students to excel in any arena and at any level. For example, I took classes at other reputable colleges and the coursework was ridiculously simple. I aced my classes by giving little effort. I earn B+'s and A-'s at Dartmouth through much effort. All in all, Dartmouth strengthens students intellectually.

Close-minded, immature, mentally weak, unmotivated persons should not attend this school.

James

My classmates are ambitious students who are some of the brightests students I've met; they know how to work hard but also have a lot of fun in the process.

Dartmouth has continually taught me the importance of stepping outside of my comfort zone and challenge what I can do. I came to Hanover over a year ago unsure of who I am as a person. I was nervous and worried as any typical college freshman would be. Luckily, Dartmouth helped me see that I had nothing to be nervous or worried about. Through countless interactions with professors, administration, staff, and, most importantly, peers, I've learned to be confident in the person that I am, regardless of what others may think of me. It has allowed to me stand on my own two feet. This is the most valuabe lesson I have gotten out of Dartmouth: that no matter what I do in life, no matter what I decide to do, as long as I do it with passion and enthusiasm, as long as I am always true to myself, I can't go wrong. Dartmouth has also given me an amazing sense of community. Whether it's running around a 5-story bonfire during Homecome or simply walking across campus in the early morning fog, I feel that I am a part of something larger than myself.

Someone who's not willing to challenge themselves and put themselves in what could be an uncomfortable situation shouldn't attend this school.

Truly unique learning environment that embraces ideas and experiences from everywhere. The faculty here really want to engage with undergraduate students and are the top scholar teachers in the United States. Dartmouth will help you find your passion and support you in every way possible.

I have been able to explore academic fields that I did not even know were possible, but more importantly, I have been challenged both academically and by the world around me. The opportunities that I experienced through college--especially my study abroad terms, have been instrumental in my development as a person and has shaped my worldview. I am healthier, happier, more sensitive, more tolerant, and more confident than when I first started.

James

Dartmouth is a melting pot filled comprised of students ranging from well-dressed "prepsters" to environmentally conscious hippies, all of whom share a common goal of self-disocvery amongst a place with much to be discovered.

Dartmouth is well-known for many things. Aside from being an academically strong school and a member of the Ivy League, it's probably best known for being located in the "middle of nowhere," providing students with great opportunities to explore the outdoors. In fact, one of the most popular clubs on campus, the Dartmouth Outing Club, hosts week-long freshman orientation trips that involve hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, trailwork, and cabin camping, which are led by upperclassmen and approximately 95% of freshman attend. It's an amazing introduction to life at Dartmouth.

Swimming was a life skill that I lacked before entering colleege. While skiing, rock climbing, and kayaking may not have been life skills that are necessary to survive, they were activities that I had never experienced during the first 18 years of my lifetime. These activities have become some of my favorite passtimes as a student at Dartmouth. Although the college experience necessarily identifies with the fulfillment of academic curiousity, my college experience moreso identifies with a lifestyle that I had never dreamed of living and couldn't even imagine before college. It's a lifestyle that focuses on both mental and physical health and fitness. While I find that these activities are the source of my joy and stability, my GPA is oftentimes the source of my stress. Outside of these activities, I would probably be over stressed; but my experience at Dartmouth has had a dampening effect on such stress, much of this began with Dartmouth's swim test that is required in order to graduate; if it weren't for the swim test, I wouldn't have been forced to explore this life skill and leave my comfort zone, which would have been primarily academic.

Fabienne

My school is best known for its undergraduate education, that is the academics, the involvement of the professors in the success of the students and the teaching styles of the professors.

As a black female attending an Ivy League college, at first, I must say I felt out of place, uncomfortable, and discriminated against. I never associated with people outside of my race, I didn't feel welcomed in the eyes of others, academically I struggled something fierce for my first 2 years here. Gradually, I became more active and more open, I became less narrow minded, I learned to appreciate the campus, the different people, the different views, and values that made up the diversity of Dartmouth I had failed to see when I first matriculated. As an individual I grew, personally, spiritually, and ofcourse, physically. Academics were crucial and as the years went by, I improved upon my study techniques. I would have to say that it was valuable for me to attend College, specifically Dartmouth because it taught me how to adapt and operate in normal society; that is it taught me how to be welcoming and sensitive to other cultures, races and ethnicities at the same time, learning how to embrace and share my own culture in an intellectual, giving and sharing atmosphere. It taught me how to be a strong, independent, intellectual , worldy, Black, Haitian Woman.

The worst thing about Dartmouth College would be the lack of diversity, meaning the very small number of black students who self identify as black that attend this school. There is also not many, if at all, activities that Black students like to do. THe culture of Dartmouth is predominatly white or centered around white culture.

Moriah

I have gotten many valuable things out of my college experience. All the classes I have taken so far have made me a very well rounded individual. I am taking classes to fulfill my Associates of Science in Nursing Degree and many classes I have taken have helped me understand the medical field much better. Going to college has enforced my motivation to become a Registered Nurse greatly. The instructors were wonderful and they always helped me when I had questions. College is challenging, however it will be well worth it in the end. College has taught me how to properly study for tests and how to successfully manage my time.

I have received so much from my college experience thus far! As of January 2011 I will be a college student for a year already, and I value all that it has helped me achieve so far and look forward to my on going education. It goes beyond being valuable for me to attend for the simple fact that my mind craves and needs the education like I need oxygen! My education is a promise to myself that I will succeed in becoming the best female firefighter that I can be for my community. The community college that I attend has been such an amazing addition to my person in a growing experience way as well. It has helped me to become my full potential and to see that I will make a difference! The teachers, counslers, and faculty have all done an excellent job in contributing to my future. They have guided me through and have done an awesome job to keep me going the direction I need continue going to make this happen. There are many resources here available to me that I can utilize anytime it is needed. I would recommend this community college to any person!

Julie

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading about plants at Chattahoochee Technical, I would not recommend it for someone pursuing horticultural studies. Some of the teachers are not as good as they good be, and the facilities are very poor. Very little actual work is done with plants. If you wish to study horticulture, look elsewhere! Or at least use this school as a starting point to transfer to a four-year, like I did.

Shiyuan

It's filled with green and laid-back students who are mostly willing to help one another enthusiastically and many of whom can drink hard.

I no longer see myself set onto one career track, because my college has fully expanded my horizons farther than I ever expected. Coming from a small town and sheltered childhood, it has been exhilirating to get to know all kinds of people from all walks of life and all over the world. Everyone is an ambitious, high achiever in some respect, whether it be on the football field or in a health competition, and being around them has made me want to push my limits. Not only do I want to take maximum advantage of the myriad of opportunities at my college and the web of connections that my college will get me beyond graduation, I want to also deepen my committment and level of success at each and every activity I do. I no longer want to just do activities - I want to become a leader, to possess the power to persuade others toward a common goal, and to pull myself up toward the ranks of the numerous high achievers around me. We all motivate one another to achieve our maximum potential, and that's such a powerful effect.

how prevalent and dominant the frat scene is made out to be

Andrew

This is the classic New England liberal arts college. My writting has improved trumendously, my thoughts are more structured, I'm more confident, I have made some incredible friends, and I feel at home. Everything I could want from college is here. I would encourage everyone to at least apply and come to Dartmouth during the Dimensions program for accepted students.

The worst part about dartmouth is that a large percent of the student population view their Ivy League education as a stepping stone into high-paying banking and finance jobs. This is a mindset I've found at other Ivy League schools as well. The college is overflowing with incredible professors and great resources, but you need to have the motivation to pursue your education in order to make the most of it. Some students understand this, and others don't.

Some who wants their college to feel like a family. The campus is filled with tradition and an overwhelming love for the school. The college is strong in every academic area and has an alumni network like no other. City dwellers beware, you are in the boonies up here. Be prepared for cold winters and think about buying some skis and some nice hiking boots.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.