Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

Julie

While I thoroughly enjoyed reading about plants at Chattahoochee Technical, I would not recommend it for someone pursuing horticultural studies. Some of the teachers are not as good as they good be, and the facilities are very poor. Very little actual work is done with plants. If you wish to study horticulture, look elsewhere! Or at least use this school as a starting point to transfer to a four-year, like I did.

Shiyuan

It's filled with green and laid-back students who are mostly willing to help one another enthusiastically and many of whom can drink hard.

I no longer see myself set onto one career track, because my college has fully expanded my horizons farther than I ever expected. Coming from a small town and sheltered childhood, it has been exhilirating to get to know all kinds of people from all walks of life and all over the world. Everyone is an ambitious, high achiever in some respect, whether it be on the football field or in a health competition, and being around them has made me want to push my limits. Not only do I want to take maximum advantage of the myriad of opportunities at my college and the web of connections that my college will get me beyond graduation, I want to also deepen my committment and level of success at each and every activity I do. I no longer want to just do activities - I want to become a leader, to possess the power to persuade others toward a common goal, and to pull myself up toward the ranks of the numerous high achievers around me. We all motivate one another to achieve our maximum potential, and that's such a powerful effect.

how prevalent and dominant the frat scene is made out to be

Andrew

This is the classic New England liberal arts college. My writting has improved trumendously, my thoughts are more structured, I'm more confident, I have made some incredible friends, and I feel at home. Everything I could want from college is here. I would encourage everyone to at least apply and come to Dartmouth during the Dimensions program for accepted students.

The worst part about dartmouth is that a large percent of the student population view their Ivy League education as a stepping stone into high-paying banking and finance jobs. This is a mindset I've found at other Ivy League schools as well. The college is overflowing with incredible professors and great resources, but you need to have the motivation to pursue your education in order to make the most of it. Some students understand this, and others don't.

Some who wants their college to feel like a family. The campus is filled with tradition and an overwhelming love for the school. The college is strong in every academic area and has an alumni network like no other. City dwellers beware, you are in the boonies up here. Be prepared for cold winters and think about buying some skis and some nice hiking boots.

I begin colleges in the fall but from my other years of education I have learned how to operate in society.

I brag that my school is one of the only in the area to offer Anthropology. I also love their willness and their hard attempts to make school affordable for everyone.

I consider the worst thing about my school is that it's on top of a hill, which means during the winter it will be rather chilly.

Claudia

I belive that an education helps us expand our knowledge and often at times I see people that didn't have the opportunity and I think what difference could this person have made in our world with an education. We never know who we can become until we educate the mind.

Ayorinde

Again, Dartmouth focuses on its undergraduates rather than the graduates. Most classes have 20-100 students and all classes are taught by the professors. Attendence is actually taken in many classes. Homework and rough drafts of essays are actually asigned and hand graded by the professor. Students have the unique opportunity to develop relationships with highly educated and experience professors; furthermore, guest lecturers who are experts in their fields are invited continuously. Student organizations are highly active and encourage participation. Finally, the dining service is not too shabby. Actually, i love it.

I have developed deep relationships with brilliant, beautiful people from all around the world and the united states that I am confident will last my whole life, which is the greatest reward from Dartmouth. I have met professors and read their artilcles, books, or novels and discussed their life experiences with them like equals (although we're not). I've been humbled by the superior abilities and work ethic of many of my peers which has forced me to reasses myself, my life, and what really matters in this world. As a consequence of Dartmouth my formerly abysmal social skills are moderatly normal now and I have a healthier perspective on life. The Christian Impact fellowship has been invaluable in keeping me sane as has the local CRC church. I treasure this year especially because I'm worried that I will not get enough financial aid to complete my BA on time. Ironically, Dartmouth has given me more learning, maturation, and enjoyment in this one year than i've had in the past two.

Dartmouth College is a small institution that truly fosters the development of its students into social, successful, and competitive individuals in a warm, friendly community. Additionally, Dartmouth professors are rightly ranked #1 according to US News & World Report. This institution goes beyond its brand name and for most people the Dartmouth education is worth the steep tuition.

Sandi

My school provides unlimited opportunities for all the students to enhance their intellectual capabilities, knowledge, and sense of self through academia, community and global service, athletics, and social events; all the while, students can feel comfortable and embrace their weirdness, unique personality, strive to go beyond their goals and desires, make long lasting friendships with schoolmates and faculty, and eat healthy and delicious food.

I am a go getter and get it done kind of person. I try my best to filter the effects of what people think about me and my goals. I love the thrill of adventures and trying out different new things. I would tell my high school self to disregard the drama and pain that inflicted me and to continue to remain strong; college is the ultimate reward and the waiting and the hard work will be more than compensated for. Instead of abiding by the philosophy of "think before you act", I would tell myself to imbibe the notion "dont think, just do"; otherwise, you will miss out on amazing experiences. It is better to regret, than to never have experienced something. Continue to fight for your beliefs and remain your confident, loving, hard working, and outgoing self; do not let yourself be intimidated no matter what the circumstances are. Do not allow yourself to be overwhelmed, but make a statement in all sectors of your endeavors: academics, extracurricular activities, and service. Dont let time pass you by and prevent procrastination from becoming one of your vices. Always remeber to remain true to yourself and that nothing is impossible.

Courtnie

Trust yourself. There is so much you don't know about the world and about who you are, but trust that you're a good person, and follow your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, get out of that situation. You're not being dramatic, you're being prudent, and you're being mature. If someone doesn't want you to get yourself out of a sitaution that makes you feel uncomfortable, that person is not your friend. Be assertive. I know you consider yourself a good self-advocate, but look at the list of universities to which you're applying. How many would you be genuinely glad to attend? If you don't know, you need to do research, and not on the internet. Talk to people who will be honest with you. And if you don't like major aspects of the school, take it off the list. There are thousands of others to replace it. Do what will make you happy in the long run. But remember not to hurt anyone in that process. Everyone wants to be helpful. If you don't want that help, the best tool for avoiding hurt is honesty. Luck, Love.

I wish I had been stronger in my convictions about what I wanted from a school. I kept hearing that I would change and adjust to whatever school I went to, but Dartmouth was absolutely the wrong choice for me. I wish I had realized that rumours and reputations exist for a reason, and that stereotypes have to emerge from somewhere.

Because of the dominance of the Fraternity culture, the culure is pretty platantly sexist. The other problem is that people here really love Dartmouth, and that promotes a culture of silence around the College's flaws. I wish people would recognize the faults of the school and work to change them. Instead, feminists are ridiculed for wanting to be respected, athlete's are revered for their (lack of) skill on the field. The arts departments kind of suck, in that they're so limited.

Clark

All of the problems I had my senior year of high school came from my anxiety surrounding the college application process. I applied to twenty schools and convinced myself none of them would accept me. Obviously that's not the case as I am now a freshman at Dartmouth and as I look back I can't help but laugh at the person I was last year. In the back of my mind I counted down the days until my future would be decided. It wasn't until this year, as a freshman working in the admissions office seeing people going through the same anxieties that I did surrounding college, that I realized it's not the school you go to that determines your future but rather what you do at that school. I would tell myself to relax and enjoy my last year without too many responsibilities. Enjoy the time I had left with my friends and my wonderful teachers. Because my high school was so small, I felt like I was leaving a family. I wish I could have enjoyed myself more knowing that in the end it would all work out for the best.

The kind of person who is looking for a cutthroat environment shouldn't come to this school. A lot of people apply here because they assume that we are like our peer institutions but what they don't realize is that every school in the ivy league has a very specific character that is unique from every other school. People who want a big school feel in a city definitely shouldn't come here because Hanover is a tiny rural town and the campus feels very small and intimate.

This school is best for the hardworking and self-motivated individual. The academic competition that exists on this campus is very internalized in that people work harder because they want to better themselves rather than be better than the other people in their class. The stereotypical Dartmouth student loves the outdoors and loves being with other people. This campus has such a laid back feel but all the students are involved in many different activities which allows them to remain busy and have an active voice that is genuinely heard by the administration.

Located in beautiful New Hampshire, Dartmouth is an open and accepting community full of bright minds that want to make a difference in the world.

College is a wonderful experience. You will learn new things about the world, and more importantly, yourself. Don't worry about getting into the "perfect" school, because it doesn't exist. Take a variety of classes, because you never know what you will find interesting. You can find opportunities anywhere as long as you look for them. Talk to your professors; they are interesting people who have had many amazing life experiences and are more than happy to share their wisdom. Be willing to try new things. Try a new sport, or join a club that you never would have considered before. More importantly, know that you can make good friends anywhere. Be open minded and you will find happiness.

People who don't want to be involved should not attend Dartmouth. There are many opportunities to be involved in a variety of organizations, ranging from sports (at several levels) to environmental and humanitarian organizations. There are also many academic opportunities. Not taking advantage of at least one of these would be an unfortunate waste of the wondeful resources of Dartmouth.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.