Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

Peter

I would advise myself not to compromise my beliefs or ways of life in order to fit the mold presented to me by my college. I feel that I have changed dramatically as a person over the past year and a half, and as a result I am a much less happy person now than I was before I entered college. Part of this also has to do with the fact that the climate here prevents me from doing some of the activities I loved most in high school, like tennis. This could have been remedied had I found new activities more suitable to this college and its climate at the beginning of my freshman year; however, I did not do so due to social anxieties and the desire to be free from all of the unwanted pressures I felt from the many activities I participated in during high school. While I have friends here I feel like part of my life is missing, and if I had to jump back in time and change my freshman year I would have remained my high school self and gotten more involved in things that I knew I could learn to love.

A person who intends to avoid alcohol while at college should not attend this school, as it would get dull quickly.

It is located in a small town where the primary social activity is attending fraternities.

Kelly

I would tell myself not to be afraid to branch out and try new things. It's the best way to figure out where your passions really lie.

The Greek scene really is a huge presence. I don't drink and I'm not a big fan of the frat scene, but that definitely is the main social space on campus. The only issue I've had with that is that your friends do a lot of bonding when they go out at night. So if you're not partaking you're likely to miss out.

If you easily get stir-crazy or frequently feel like you need a change of scenery, I would say that Dartmouth isn't for you. Students here can sometime feel trapped in what many call the "Dartmouth Bubble." Hanover is a very small town and things like the radio, magazines and advertisements seem foreign to me when I go back home for break. Let's just say I pretty much lose touch with the "real world" while I'm at school.

Royce

Dartmouth is the perfect size. You often see familiar faces as you walk around campus, but it's not like you'll know all of your classmates by the end of your four years here. Because of the D-Plan, only 3/4 of the student body is on campus during any given term. And Hanover is the quintessential college town! There are plenty of cozy cafes to sit at and study, and a variety of decent restaurants and retailers. Although Dartmouth's location is really out of the way, it's a beautiful part of the country and you grow to appreciate it. Boston is only 2 hours away and there are buses going back and forth from there and NYC all the time. It's easy to "live to good life" at Dartmouth. Spend 10 hours or less in class each week, play frisbee on the green, eat yummy organic food (but don't worry, we've got classic college dining hall junk food, too!), watch the leaves change colors in the fall, be surrounded by smart and funny and ambitious people, develop close relationships with your professors, and party to your heart's content every other night.

Fairly diverse. Sometimes I feel like there are people here who just shouldn't be here, because they're not comfortable with the rural New England location and they don't like snow. You really have to embrace the small town feel of the campus to be happy, and some kids just aren't willing to do that, which puzzles me. However, the diversity is generally a good thing. We've got people from all over the country (from LA to Miami, Seattle to New York, Houston to D.C.), and not as many people from the northeast as you would expect (although that is still the most heavily represented area within the student body). There are plenty of international students, who really add a lot to the school in terms of their perspectives and opinions. Everyone gets along really well. In the dining hall, you usually can't identify the people sitting at one table from the people sitting at another table, unless there's a whole sports team sitting together!

Dartmouth is amazing. We've got a real sense of community here, and our intense pride and love for the institution shines through in everything we do (and in all the money the alums donate!). The quality of life is excellent. The sense of tradition and loyalty we have here makes you feel like you're part of something big, something special. It's definitely the best college experience one could ask for.

Not really. Maybe we were all overachievers in high school (since it's pretty hard to get into Dartmouth), but on campus people tend to be chill/relaxed. I don't think we drink more than students on any other college campus, but our drinking habits are blown way out of proportion since the student body is so small and since the frats have such an obvious presence. Most students here have only one true outdoorsy experience - the freshman orientation trip (DOC trips).

Some professors will make it a point to learn all of their students' names and invite them to their houses for dinner; others will be less friendly but still willing to talk with you if you take the initiative and approach them yourself. You can have any type of classroom experience you want here - it all depends on the classes you choose, how much you participate in class discussions, and how much you invest in getting to know your professors. It's very easy to study anything you want here; people frequently modify their majors, design their own majors, or do double majors with minors and even double minors. The academic requirements can be fulfilled in a number of ways, so ultimately everyone gets something different out of their academic experience. Dartmouth prides itself on providing a true liberal arts education, and that's exactly what I'm getting! I can take arts classes, history classes, classes on finance, statistics, healthcare, philosophy, ethics, public policy, geography, computer science, theater, foreign languages, religion, and anthropology - and that's before I even get started on a major. There's a lot of freedom to explore different academic areas within the curriculum, and even after you decide what you want to concentrate on, there's nothing preventing you from taking random film studies (or psychology, or gov, etc) classes.

The social scene is what you make of it. If you want to go to the arts center to watch movies for 5 dollars every other night, you can. If you want to spend a lot of time singing with an a cappella group, you can. If you want to go to frats and drink and play pong every single night, you can (and many people do, at least 2-3 times a week). There are plenty of organized events going on all the time - various speakers come to campus, musical artists come and give concerts (this includes sitar player Ravi Shankar and rappers such as Wale and three six mafia)... you have no excuse to be bored here. Also, since we're in New Hampshire, election season is pretty exciting. Nh gets the first primary, so candidates make their way to campus during campaigns.

alcoholics, "crunchy" outdoorsy people, overachievers

Melanie

Worry about what school you want to attend AFTER you apply to them all and know which you have been accepted to.

The strong community is the greatest asset.

Gender dichotomy created freshman year for men and women not in greek houses.

Focus and stick to the plan. Don't second guess yourself. Don't procrastinate, don't make excuses. Just do it. Don't try to justify something to yourself when you know in your heart it is wrong. Don't be afraid. Face the hard things. That that does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Also, don't freaking come to college in a relationship. It's a whole new game out here, and there are new rules. Don't bother trying to beat the system. You're not slick enough for it this time, just do the work and get through it day by day, piece by piece. Don't give into your own demons. Now is more than ever, the time to be strong, to hold your ground, and to know who you are. Don't take opportunities for granted. They will undoubtedly pass you by and you cannot afford that. Older is definitely wiser. Listen and learn, listen and learn. No excuses, just do it.

The amazing people I meet at school and all the amazing, worldy things that they've done. Also, just general observations about the type of people who go to school here. I value a lot of the things that they are exemplars of.

Kelly

My classmates are brilliant people eager to take on new challenges and make a difference in their own way while having a blas...

My classmates are brilliant people eager to take on new challenges and make a difference in their own way while having a blast!

The Dartmouth community is not restricted to the students and faculty on campus. It extends around the world and involves an extensive alumni network who are still very passionate about their alma mater.

As cliche as it sounds, don't be afraid to be yourself. Explore the opportunities that your school offers, even if it's something you could have never seen yourself doing in high school. You may find that you have passions you never even knew about. Most importantly, try not to let the bumps that you run into hold you back. During my freshman fall especially I tried out and applied for a wide variety of groups and opportunities. Most of the time I would hit a bump. It was upsetting to be rejected and frustrating for me when I was trying to find my place on campus, but I'm so glad that I kept putting myself out there. I've been able to take on leadership roles in various clubs and these experiences have made me more prepared to overcome future bumps in my college path.

Cameron

Dartmouth is the ultimate college - it has the best professors in the world, some of the most passionate and brightest students, the most fiercely loyal alumni, the most extensive possible off-campus internship/study program offerings, and a collective desire to "make the world's problems our own problems."

I would tell myself to rest assured that I made the perfect choice - my school is my home and the means by which I can explore and accomplish my dreams. When you pick your school, make sure that you fall in love with some aspect of it. But no matter where you go, if you have true a passion to direct towards something, you will love your college experience. When I was a senior, I knew that I wanted to study medicine and eventually work for a global health nonprofit. There was so much to explore and so many opportunities that I had never dreamed of to discover - I could not have asked for a better fit or a better first two years. I'm now completing a medical anthropology major and international health policy minor on the way to training to be an infectious disease physician. Had I never taken the time to explore the infinite opportunities found at every school or connect with like-minded students and faculty, I would not be able to say that I am the luckiest student I know.

Hardworking, passionate, friendly, empathetic, sociable

Marco

Students are prohibited from pledging a greek community until their sophomore fall. The ability for students to declare modified majors, which are a mixture of two completely different but related majors. The dartmouth quarter system also allows for fall, winter or spring internships, foreign study programs, transfer terms or research depending on when you take your academic leave term during the school year.

The cooperative nature of the students as well as professors. The inclusive social spaces and environments. The ability for students to really pursue their academic desires in a low student to professor ratio, a variety of courses and majors (including modified majors), and a strong liberal arts education.

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.