Hanover, NH
Dartmouth College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dartmouth College

John

Engage the entire college experience with your heart and soul. Throw yourself into it. Don't be afraid to try new things--No, TRY NEW THINGS!!! Because you never discover a secret love of boxing, or mentoring a child, or climbing mountains until you put on the gloves, drive to the local elementary school, or strap on those hiking boots. If you think of all your regrets, 99 percent of them are things you didn't do that you wish you had done. College is the opportunity of a lifetime. Some say "Carpe Diem!". Well I say, "Carpe College!"

Perhaps the worst thing is that sometimes with trimesters, off terms, internships, and travel abroad opportunities you might not see a friend for a while, but all of that is worth it. So it's really also a great opportunity for all of us to travel or try something new. The D-Plan is challenging, but freeing at the same time.

It's hard to say because Dartmouth has SUCH a welcoming, warm, and friendly community that I think anyone can be happy and feel accepted. However, if someone isn't ready to be passionate, involved and really grab life by the horns and have a 4 year ride of his or her life, then I suggest a more low-key school that isn't so upbeat. There's phenomenal school spirit and you can't help but get caught up in it and fall in love with the college.

Kyle

First off, understand that high school is over, you're no longer liked by everyone. In fact, most of the people that you'll meet will judge you by your appearance and take you to be a bad person. Look presentable at all times until you form a solid reputation as a good person. Once you've done that, show Dartmouth that good people don't have to be upper class, clean-shaven, white men with military cuts. A poor, black guy with tattoos, dreadlocks and facial hair can change the world too. Also Kyle, know that where you've been and where you've come from in life is just as important as where you're going and where you want to be. Don't forget who you are. Don't forget whose you are. Don't let the people of Dartmouth change you. Be open to new things, they'll definitely be thrown at you. But maintain your sense of self, and if anything impose that on other people. Afterall, there aren't many people at Dartmouth who grew up the poor children of a crackhead single mother.

I wish I would have known that the whole environment of the school was so academically demanding and stressing. I don't think it's necessarily bad for me, it just surprised me coming into such a rigorous environment.

The most frustrating thing at Dartmouth would have to either be the climate: lack of sun, abundance of precipitation, cold temperatures; Or it'd have to be the demand and pressure to perform. Along with that, the depression and feeling of inadequacy that comes from anything less. I know people that completely break down from getting a B+ in a class. I personally refuse to let a letter or percentage dictate my happiness and/or success in life. Most people I go to school with don't see it that way.

Menghan

They are friendly, helpful, and really interesting.

They are friendly, helpful, and really interesting.

Let go and find yourself. Maybe you were typecasted as that shy girl or that meathead guy in highschool, but college is your chance to find your true identity and display your innerself the rest of the world. In college, you will find people who many seem average on the outside, but have accomplished incredible and unique things. But don't be intimidated; you too have done some incredible things, but you just don't realize it. To get into your school, you had to do something special, so don't sell yourself short. At the same time, don't become complacent. College is not a utopia. At it's heart, life's still a rat race, and you still have to fight to get good internships, to learn more challenging material, etc. So work hard, but try to balance work with your social life. Finally, college is all about new experiences and self-cultivation. It's not all about drinking and building up your social life. It's about learning new things that will prepare you for the rest of life. Don't miss out on opportunities to learn more.

There's usually too many things to do and not enough time to do it.

Rebecca

My classmates are very bright, curious students who are willing to work and help with others.

My school is known for having the best undergraduate teaching, being the best liberal arts university, and strong alumni support.

I would tell myself that it is okay to go into college without knowing your major. It's even okay to change your major in the middle of college. Don't be afraid to try something new even if everyone else has more experience than you. Pick classes based on the professor, not the title of the class. Don't be afraid to be home sick. Everyone else is too, they just try to hide it. The winter is awful and cold. Just make sure to bring a big coat. Boys were annoying and hard to deal with in high school. They haven't changed that much, don't let them affect your college studies. You'll be doing things you never thought were possible in high school, be thankful that you have been given these opportunities. Oh, and get a passport. You'll be leaving the country for your studies multiple times.

Andrea

The students at Dartmouth are really what makes the school what it is. There is an incredible sense of pride, spirit, and creativity that flows through the veins of every Dartmouth student that isn't present at other schools. We thrive on not taking ourselves too seriously, live for adventure, and still manage to accomplish amazing things in the academic and research worlds. On the outside, almost every Dartmouth student is a member of at least one club or team on campus, while managing to juggle academics on the side and accomplishing amazing things in and outside of the classroom.

Take a year off. I love Dartmouth and everything I've accomplished and learned here, but I feel like I've spent a lot of my time here finding out who I am, and in that sense, wasting many of the opportunities I have been given to develop that further. Coming into college straight out of highschool, I thought I wanted to go into medecine. I packed up my life and moved it to the east coast, arriving with almost no ideas about what I wanted to major in, and no idea how to take responsibility for myself and my life in college. While many of the decisions I made my freshmen year have shaped the person I've become today, I do regret having to go through so much of that discovery process my freshman year. Now, in my junior year, I am just beginning to develop a sense of my future, just beginning to follow my academic and social interests, and just beginning to realize how much more I could have accomplished if I had known more about myself coming in. Many people come out of highschool ready to jump into college life. I needed more time.

Honestly, I haven't met many people at Dartmouth who wouldn't find some sort of niche or group to fit in with here. The one caveat of Dartmouth is that it is rather isolated. Coming from a city myself, it was definitely a big change, and while I"ve absolutely loved the change of pace from the city, people who are incredibly invested in the arts, museums, and the cultural centers found in cities may have a hard time adjusting to the outdoorsy rural setting of the college.

thomas

Be open to possibilites and choose a school with both strong academics and a good social dynamic. Basically, look for well-taught classes, knowledgeable professors, and friendly people.

Someone looking for a small school with a really tight knit community. Plusses include friendly locals, students, and professors, small classes and a vibrant frat scene. Minuses include extremely cold winters and a lack of social options outside of frats.

Someone who might have trouble adjusting to such a small environment.

Christopher

The schedule calls for a lot of class bonding.

The schedule calls for a lot of class bonding.

Be open to making any friends - you never know who could turn o ut to be your best friend!

Evan

Smart and under pressure to succeed without selling out.

Smart and under pressure to succeed without selling out.

I think I would have rather gone into an honors program at a much larger school so I would get more special attention and stand out academically more, as well as having the oppurtunity to meet a wider variety of people.

The other interesting students that you meet.

Rebecca

Everyone really brings something to the mix because we're all from such different backgrounds but we really want to learn.

I would tell myself not to get too caught up in the college social life the first semester. I would also remind myself that the school that i was going to is incredibly competitive and not to get discouraged by having a hard time with the academics at first. Also to not take such hard classes in the very beginning. I would say that it's okay to not know exactly what I want to do and that even if things don't work out exactly how I planned, they would work out in another ways that was still amazing.

Everyone is so smart sometimes I feel like I get lost in the mix.

Jake

I would say don't worry about what your friends think, dont worry about what your teammates or coaches think... what school will put you in the best position 10 years from now? If you know you are doing the right thing for your future, you will be much happier right now! This confidence will allow you to make the most out of your undergraduate experience

How everyone that goes there is so different... but they all have one thing in common. They chose to get a great education, and not just a great name on a diploma. This goes a longer way than you would think in uniting the campus in one big social scene.

The long, hard, cold winters. They start early and end late. If you can deal with that, it is the best undergraduate experience in America (best teaching, its a fact). If you can get used to frats...

Dartmouth College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.