Dartmouth College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Dartmouth College

Bryan

Even though I have only been at Dartmouth for a year I have already grown very attached to the school. I have met many great people and have learned a lot about subjects in which I am pursuing a degree and myself as a global leader. Dartmouth has been incredibly difficult however its ever-growing challenges only inspire me to improve.

Joseph

I woke at 6am to sun rays cutting through a light fog over the Connecticut river and the fields of the Dartmouth’s student-run farm. I joined another guy on my freshman orientation trip for a run in the foggy hills. "I can’t believe I live here." I wake between 6 and 7am most mornings for the two-minute bike ride to our boathouse. The Connecticut is generally calm; our oars are the only noise I hear, aside from the yells from a coach or rower as we lean into the oars, three boats of eight side by side in competition. On and off the water, the team is my strongest support group. As an engineer, outside of class I press through differential equations, or try to better understand the theory of special relativity, by myself, with peers, at a session with teacher’s assistants, or with my professor. Rowing makes office hours hard to make, so I make appointments with professors, or contact one of my charismatic, wizard-like classmates. I fall asleep by ten or eleven p.m. to get my eight hours almost every night, and I think I learned more during freshman year than in all my sleep-deprived high school experience. I programmed my first Arduino this year, and learned to solve a second order non-linear differential equation with matrices. Before, I never knew the destruction of the second temple of Jerusalem in the year 70 (C.E.) eliminated a centralized knowledge of a "correct" reading of the bible, leaving its meaning up to interpretation. I never before read between the lines of old English records of early interactions with Native Algonquians, to build a Native American side of the European colonization story. I learned that eating beef destroys mother nature more than mast anything else I do in a day, and so I no longer eat beef. No matter my learning and rowing schedule, I never skip riding my bike, playing my fiddle, conversing with my peers, and enjoying the rural air.

Jack

Dartmouth is a great school with a great reputation. However, sometimes I think it is a better place to be from than to be going to. To rephrase, I think the benefits of being an alumni from Dartmouth may be better than the undergraduate experience. Regardless, I am learning a lot and surrounded by bright minds, both peers and professors. As a liberal arts school, very few classes provide practical skills. Many classes are about theories, identity, or other niche topics that can only be found in academia. I am an Economics major because it is one of the most practical majors Dartmouth has to offer, even though Economics is still very theoretical. The social life is alright: if you had no social life in high school, you will think the social life is huge, if a lot of your friends went to state schools, you will think you have no life. Something like 60% of the student body is involved in Greek Life, mostly because there’s not anything else to do in Hanover, NH. As a result, Greek Life is for everyone, and there is a diversity of houses and a place for everyone who wants one.

I love it! We are a very rural and tight-knit community. The very cozy and cooperative atmosphere encourages students to really get to know each other, explaining our high alumni loyalty. We are also a school big on sports, around one in four students are an athlete.

Jorge

I had a fantastic time at Dartmouth College. My experience was extremely satisfactory in the classroom and outside of the classroom. In the classroom, I thought that students were extremely intelligent and professors were for the most part engaging. Although students were quite intelligent there was a culture of people not showing it off. This had its pros that it was a collaborative environment instead of a cut-throat environment. But the con was that students sometimes tried a bit too hard to act like they did not care about academics.

Ana

Dartmouth College has been an incredible experience this past term. Being a Latin American student and first-generation American, I was quite afraid that I would not find a community I could call my own on campus. Surprisingly, I discovered how much I had underestimated the vibrant, diverse, and exciting individuals in and out of the classroom. I can always expect to find someone to share a word with or exchange pleasant conversations. Besides the community, the professors here are true authorities in their field of study, and are always available to discuss their latest research topics or clarify any difficulties encountered in the coursework!

Ali

Dartmouth College is a place where students are encouraged to grow academically, socially, and extracurricularly. The challenges we face inside and outside of the classroom give us experience that will lead to our future successes. Opportunities are available daily, you just have to seek them out. In a small, college town like Hanover, involvement is crucial. Dartmouth makes it easy to find something you love and inspires you to dive right into it. I am proud to be at Dartmouth College, not because it is prestigious, but because it is a beautiful, welcoming place, where I am learning constantly.

My visit opened my eyes to positive aspects of Dartmouth I had not known about. The upperclassmen (so unbelievably down-to-earth and understanding) I spoke to truly convinced me that Dartmouth is really a special place. I visited the DEN (I immediately found some sense of place here :)) and I attended some mock classes (Prof. Curtis in an Economics 1 class proved to me that teachers were most definitely scholars and were genuinely excited by their professional field). This is still so funny to me, but by the end of the day, my perspective of Dartmouth changed from an intimidating place where I felt rather lonely and lost, to a place that beyond suits my academic interests and one that offers such a special intellectual and social experience.

Gabriel

It is an amazing institution full of support if you need it, especially through their OPAL office and FYSEP. The deans are amazing and most professors are excellent teachers. Although there is much to be done about racism and sexism in the curriculum, the support is here to help one through it and the college is doing its best to reinforce its values against hate and pro-open mindedness.

Sabyne

Dartmouth's cool, the frat life is so cult-y tho. I love the students that i meet here, everyone is always so interested in something which is fun to always hear about! The first generation students scene is nice to have, especially when a lot of your classes may have a certain makeup!

Paula

Dartmouth College is a place filled with special people. With its numerous traditions, the college creates a strong sense of community and belonging. Although located in a rural area, events, lectures, talks, and shows are a regular part of students' lifestyles. Professors engage students both in and outside of class, and not only provide help but build personal relationships. While the long dark days of the winter often leave students fatigued, the community spirit and continuous social life burn them from the inside.

Truth

Dartmouth college is a small town ivy league school located in Hanover, New Hampshire. Hanover is small and is really more of a college town with its campus being as big as the town. The campus its self is small and has a homey feel most colleges don't have. And the look of the campus is really nostalgic. Through the spring and fall the campus shows its true beauty through its wide array of foliage. Thinking about there teaching and staff they are superb they cater to the students needs and they really want the students to learn and have the best chance to become proficient in the field of study. The Greek life on campus is huge 70 percent of the student body is enrolled into a fraternity or sorority. Because of the large number of students that are apart of Greek life on campus there tend to be parties quite often. On the other hand the students are not allowed to be accepted into a fraternity or sorority in the beginning of there freshman year. There sports are big on campus. Whether it be at the collegiate level, intramural, or just playing games on the green. The Dartmouth community loves there activities. The biggest thing about the campus is the amount of student involvement. The student body participates in everything. From there museum to hosting a ted X it is run by college students. Dartmouth is a college of exceptional students in the class and out of the class and Dartmouth is there to help them blossom.

Deborah

Dartmouth isn't right for everyone, but when it's right, it's incredible. Academically, Dartmouth caters to those who manage their time, work hard, and have a genuine interest in learning. Professors guide you and support you, but they certainly do not make it easy for you. Dartmouth is right for those who are excited to work, and wrong for those who just want to sleep in and watch TV. However, working hard doesn't preclude you from having a social life. Dartmouth has a huge going out culture that largely circles around Greek life. Just as depicted in Animal House, every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, people flock to Webster ave- i.e. frat row. Social life at Dartmouth includes a heavy and perhaps unhealthy binge-drinking culture and a work hard play hard attitude. Dartmouth is right for those excited to spend time with their friends and let loose a little, and wrong for those who would rather work through the night, every night. But even for those uncomfortable with this drinking culture, Dartmouth provides other social spaces. Hanover, New Hampshire offers the most amazing opportunities to explore nature, with incredible hikes, rivers, and ski mountains. The Dartmouth Outing Club provides numerous opportunities to get into nature, ranging from beginner to expert levels. Dartmouth is right for those who love the outdoors, and wrong for those who love city life. Dartmouth isn't right for everyone, but when it's right, it is truly the most incredible place to spend four years of your life.

Emma

Dartmouth College is an amazing school that offers prestige education while being surrounded by a one-of-a-kind community. There is something there for everyone. The smaller class sizes allow you to get to know your professors and interact with your classmates better. Looking to meet new members within your house, there are socials and events to unite everyone. The sense of unity and family can only be found here at the college on the hill.

Gabrielle

I overall think that Dartmouth is a great place to go to school. I have been able to find a community here on campus and understand a little bit more about how to become more independent. I think that there are times where classes and exams are unnecessarily difficult and could be toned down a little bit, but I understand that Dartmouth wants to challenge their students. The food has been surprisingly pleasant, as I have found myself actually missing some of the staples while home on break. All in all, I am happy with my experience and would choose Dartmouth all over again if I had the chance.

Ben

"It is a small school, sir, and yet there are those who love her." If you're looking for the best liberal arts education in the world, look no further. Dartmouth Alumni are extremely active around the world, and for good reason: Dartmouth is a place that will always hold a special place in the heart of those who've known her.