Grand Rapids, MI
Davenport University

Extracurricular Activities

Nearby Shops and Services

Kailey

I think its fantastic. All the professors have been working in the field that they teach so they bring real experience to the table, not just book smarts. All the professors are very understanding of working students and students with children. They don't get upset if we have to come in late or leave early because they know there is life outside of the classroom.

It was close to home and it had no waiting list for classes. I went to a community college for one year before Davenport and I was having a really hard time getting into the classes I needed because there was waitlists on all of them.

Take time when choosing a college and deciding what you want to go into. I have changes my mind three times with three years, luckily I was doing generally the same thing. Also, so away to school. Staying home to save money is a good thing but you will soon regret it when going away to visit friends. There is so much more activity going on a big campuses and so many more opportunities. You can join more organizations and meet so many more people. Instead of living at home and trying to figure everything out on your own you will the more chances to experience new things. Be smart with loans! Your parents make too much money to help you but not enough to help you pay for school! Start putting even $50 out of every paycheck aside to help pay of student loans while in school so that you do not run out. Be smart and pay attention in classes, you will need to know this stuff when you graduate and actually try to find a job! Have fun and enjoy it, once you graduate its time to be an adult.

The worst thing about this school is the price because it is a private college. The price makes up for the class availability though. If you cannot get into a class then they will make another class available. Also the help on campus from the advisors makes the experience so much better and easier to deal with.

Gabe

Davenport was very convenient for someone like myself who was working full-time and wanted to complete their degree.

You can complete almost any program online. It made it very easy for me to complete my degree while working 45+ hours per week.

The first thing you need to know is how to study. Don't take your brains for granted and think you can coast through college just like you did in high school. It is nowhere near the same. My second piece of advice would be to learn how to budget your time. You have to make time for homework and studying regardless of how much you want to party and hang out with the new friends you made. The last piece of advice would be to not give up. Even if you hit a rough patch in school, put your head down and stay focused on the task at hand. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Brandon

The work load has increased and you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel any more. High school is dragging you down and things can only get harder from here, right? Surprisingly, your best choice right now is to keep yourself together, work harder on that english paper, put more work into that math problem, research the thirty-first president of the United States. When you get to college, everything is what you want to do. Working hard in high school will prepare you well, college will be a breeze. The only new knowledge you are required to have is in the field you love, Everything else is an easy review. By the way, you will meet real friends here who understand what you are saying when you talk about your latest programming project. You have more free time than you think and the free time is nice. High school is your chance to get ahead, take it because it will never come around again.

This school actually disappoints me. They allow too many partiers in. People that are allowed to attend this school should be serious about their career. A person that is not always drinking a smoking weed, instead he or she is in the room doing homework or at a friend's room playing Xbox. In my case, I am helping people with computer problems, and trying to design the next big hit game.

The size. Having a smalll school is nice because it is never over crowded. There are also a lot of events that students are given the opportunity to participate in. I know a large percent of the staff and can get help with anything that I need. It was an easy transition from high school.

Melanie

When looking back there would be a few things I would tell myself. For starters, make sure you are recieving adequate information before making a decision on which college you want to attend. You have to apply to more than three schools and ask every question imaginable before making a decision. Also, you cannot form an opinion about a school until you find out everything it has to offer. Next piece of advice is to not take on too much when you start college esspecially with moving away. You have to settle in and figure out the ground before you get involved in too many things. Do not try to take on all your classes, work, a few clubs, and a honors project all at once if you have never lived away from home before. Eventually, you will find yourself overwhelmed and needing to quit something. So, take things slow and figure things out before you get your feet too wet. Lastly, keep an open mind about the college life. Remember school work always comes first and parties second. Also, make sure you know who you are hanging out with before you find yourself alone with them.

The kind of person who should not attend Davenport is one who wants to be a traditional college student. There are class times during the day but not at prefered times. If there is a Davenport student at another Davenport campus, they for sure experince the above problem. Also to complete their degree plan they must attend antother campus for some courses or an online class. Students should not have to go through this. When they pick a college they should be able to get all of their classes at that location not another campus.

The most frustrating thing is not recieving adequate advice from advisors. For example, your advisor tells you that you can do something but in reality you cannot. Then that leads you to make a wrond decision and impacts you later. It is very hard to make decisions when you are given incorrect information from people who are supposed to be there to help you figure things out.

Destiny

The most unique thing about my school compared to other schools I've considered would be the students have a bigger say so in anything Davenport. In the middle of the semester we get to rate, and survey out classes and teachers grading them on their teaching abilities and the administration takes it very seriously. The school does great follow-ups and after each event or conversation you get a chance to rate performance. and give suggestions. They try to go above and beyond the next time around. It makes me feel like my opinion actually matters.

If I could go back and give my senior self advice about making the transition on college life I would say; "Destiny, take heed to the many pearls of wisdom others have given you about life and moving forward. Remember, nobody will baby sit or hold your hand. Take learning into your own hands and not wait on the instructor to instruct you to the next thing. Stay grounded in your morals. You can't miss what you never had." I'd continue and say, " Stay guarded and focused. Don't let barriers of culture, and language eat you up. You keep going. The college life portrayed on Television is not always accurate and realistic. You have a great heart but not all the time can you let emotion cloud logic. You can't help anybody if you can barely help yourself. Not everybody was born the same way you were. Not everybody is honest. People can be nasty, rude, and misleading but never lose sight of a goal and that's educate yourself, polish your skills and share your abilities with the world. Lastly, if something don't look or feel right LET IT GO!"

This school would best suit a focused, driven, self-motivated, open-minded person. The school isn't a party campus (yet) not recommended for those who are die hard party goers. The campus is growing so an athletes who love the sport but still focuses on school because athletes have a lot of study table and playing time depends on how you do in your classes. If you just want to do better and re-introduce yourself to the world. Davenport is a place to start you get a decent education and you learn a lot about you as well.

Matt

Larger amount of people there for a degree rather than to party and enjoy being in college

My biggest worry then was playing baseball in college. After my injury, I was devastated. My biggest advice to myself would be to stop worrying about what I cant control and simply focus on school, family and friends. I think I isolated myself for awhile, dead focused on rehab and training. Looking back, it just doesnt seem like a huge deal now. As far as transition to school, I would tell myself to read the chapters before class in college. I never read the textbooks in high school and figured I could do the same in college. This was not the case! I learned that lesson sometime mid-freshman year. Overall, the transition was stressful simply becasue it was a transition. I would tell myself to enjoy the experience and only worry about being the best friend, boyfriend, and son that I could be. Thanks for considering me! -Matt Rozelle

Lack of social events like intermural sports. The school is more adult, career focused so the college experience is a tad lacking in some areas.

Rebecca

Dear Rebecca,So many years have passed between us. Years filled with emotion and experience. We’ve already made mistakes but you are doing it right. After 3 children and a failed marriage you are back in high school. You will succeed and the work you do now will get us into college and be an example to our children in the future. They are all college grads. You will be proud. We will have struggles. We can make them easier. The first lesson is that no one can rescue us. We’ll pull our self up by our bootstraps but keep looking for that knight in shining armor. There isn’t one. Still all that hard work pays off. In failure, hard work teaches lessons. Next, respect and believe in yourself. We can be a Doctor or Nurse or anything else we want to be. Don’t listen to the naysayers. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you our heart is wrong. Weigh all decisions within.Finally, the travel was worth it and education will be some of the most rewarding moments of our life. Don’t change those.Love from your future self,Rebecca

The school is expensive with few financial aid alternatives.

Disabled persons have few financial options. Those who home study have fewer still

We use the most current publicly available data. As such, we don't remove or edit college information. Sources for school statistics and data include the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System. Portions of college data include copyrighted material, which is reproduced on this website by permission of Wintergreen Orchard House, a division of Carnegie Communications. © 2009-2016 by Wintergreen Orchard House. All rights reserved.
Financial aid at this institution is only available for those who qualify.