Elkins, WV
Davis & Elkins College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Davis & Elkins College

Angela

My college experience has allowed me to discover more about myself. I now know that Davis and Elkins College is not the right school for me. I can go on with this information and make a more educated decision on where to attend school, and the type of atmosphere I am comfortable in. Personally,I am a college athlete and maybe have experienced a different path than others. I knew that the change from my Queens, New York home to Elkins, West Virginia would be a big leap. I decided to take that chance unregrettably. The lessons I have learned about life, people, chances, and the importance of doing what makes you happy are invaluable. I have decided not to return to Davis and Elkins College next year, despite the immense disappointment of many to throw away my scholarship, and secure position. My life has led me in a direction that is different from perhaps all of my fellow highschool graduates, but not worse. The decision I made to attend this school will shape the rest of my life as I continue next year on the quest to become a West Virginia resident.

I think the best thing about Davis and Elkins College is the ability to personally know many authority figures. You have the opportunity to be a big fish in a little sea. If you take the right steps, some important connections could be made. Many alumni from Davis and Elkins are successful and praise this school often. Events are held where these alumni attend, and give back to the school. Students should take advantage of having these successful alumni around to learn from their experiences and expand their network of people.

The kind of person that should attend Davis and Elkins College is one that is looking for a small school, with a family like atmosphere. He should like small class sizes, and favor the ability to personally know many people on campus. Someone that likes to be involved with campus activites and clubs, has many opportunities to follow through with those desires. If someone is overwhelmed by large cities, then this small town would be a comfortable fit. Also, the atmosphere allows for many nature adventures to take place and unique classes to be offered.

Zachary

If I could go back and visit myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that everythign you need to do in life you can't regret, but you have to follow your passion because it's what will make you happiest and feel the greatest to you. don't go spend a yaer and a half learnign about somehtign for the money, you'll hate yourself before you make it very far. What you love, even if you worked at something else for so long will be the greatest feelign you've come across and you'll never want anyhtign different again.

I wish I had known the atmosphere would be so great and the learning so entertaining to me. compared to the school I used to attend it is much better.

Carissa

My school has a vey small student body. Therefore, the student : teacher ratio is also small. This makes your education a more personable experience. My professors know me by name and they really want me to succeed. Another aspect of Davis and Elkins College that I enjoy is the campus. The campus is small and incredibly beautiful. Just taking a walk through campus and takingin the view helps to releive stress.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice , there would be a lot to give. The most imortant thing I would tell myself would be "don't stop working hard because it all pays off in the end." High school was a rough time for me. I found it very boring and too repetitive to keep my attention. College, on the other hand, has been a very engaging experience. I enjoy going to class and having discussions with my professors and I am moivated to do so. I would also convince myself to be more social. I was so wrapped up in the stresses of my family that I took very little time for myself because I didn't think I had any. Now that I am away at college, I have learned how important it is to do things for myself and have a little fun every once in a while. Friends are a great way to get out and do something new and spontaneous. Taking time for yourself makes you feel better about yourself and your situations, and I have learned that it is also a great way to relieve stress.

The most frustrating thing about Davis and Elkins is that everything is closed on Sunday, which happens to be my only day off. I practice with my team 6 days a week, and I find it difficult to run my errands during the week when I have practice and class.

Victoria

My classmates at Davis and Elkins College are friendly, foreward-thinking students with inquisitive minds.

I know that you find college to be a waist of what you consider your prime time for your career, but college is more than just paying dues to get a job. It's an opporutiny to develop and grow not just academically, but in every aspect of your life. College gives you the opportunity to try new experiences that you may not dream of trying in any other enviroment. These experiences open you up to so many opporunities by expanding your range of interests and improveing the quality your life. I know you can't imagine this now, but college is a neccessary part of you becoming you. Go into college looking at it as a chance to grow. Do the best work that you can, be open to new possibilties, and find yourself. You will never regret it.

Anyone who is ready to jump onto a moving train right as it's just starting to speed up. A student who likes to form and change with a growing school, and is prepared to take this growth far beyond academics and into every aspect of there lives. A student who loves learning and is ready to make a commitment to improve.

amy

Davis and elkins college is a small college, where professors know the students name.

The students join as a team to tackle any obstacle .

If I could go back in time and talk to myself, I would explain the importance of education. Attending high school was a joke to me. I thought of it as a job that I didnt like. I barely studied. Thinking people were crazy, who stayed up and studied. As I enter college and receive my excellent grades, I smile at my success. But I am saddened that if I would have taken college more serious There would have been a better pay off. I waited 6 years after high school graduation to attend college. I didnt realize what a good education lead to. My life, retirement, health all depend on my education. I would definitely tell me the importance of education and to take high school serious. Take the extra hour to study for that class. Know that the reward of an education is far too great to let go.

Kathryn

At D&E prospective students visit the campus during events (i.e. concert, plays, games, hiking trips etc.). A student ambassador shows them the campus and the prospective gets to spend the night in a dorm if they wish.

Visit the college first! Dont just pick it because of its reputation, a good college isnt anything if you cant be happy! And when you visit go explore and meet people, ask current student/faculty questions. Try to get as close to the full expirience as possible then judge the school.

At D&E we are made up of lots of different types of people. The similarity is we are all tolerant and accepting. There are countless times when I had conversations with other students of how, in high school, we proboly would'nt have even talked to eachother.

Teonna

Davis and Elkins is one of the smaller private schools. Because of the smaller population you get to know your peers better. The teachers also take one on one time because of the smaller population. You will never forget the relationships you build on campus because you become such good friends with everyone.

When choosing the right college, many things have to be taken into consideration. One thing is the size, are you or your child looking for a smaller school that feels a little more like home or are you looking for a larger community. Another thing is the location, would you like to be located in a large city or urban area or a smaller town where things are more slow paced. Of course choosing a school with the major you intend on choosing is the best idea. A school that has activities for students allows them to join into the campus community and meet other students which can make campus life at school a little more pleasant. Having active and helpful administration will definitely keep the student on the right track. Taking these things into consideration will help the student have a sucessful time at their college of choice. I selected all of the choices that were similar to my personality and it led me to choose Davis and Elkins College which was a great pick for me.

This school is a great academic school. It is guaranteed that if you want to learn, then you will definitley learn new information and feel as if you have after the course is completed.

Valerie

Davis and Elkins is small, quaint and full of life.

Davis and Elkins is small, quaint and full of life.

I think you should stick with a college that matches your personality, and if you can't find one that does pick one for their reputation. By reputation I mean how involved are they with the students, community and just everyday life in general. Get involved in as much as you can with the school; that time allows of course. You should definitely know what's going on with your school too. Keep up with the politics and every day goings on of your school, it will help you understand changes that may occur during your time there. Don't forget to enjoy your time though, because after that it's welcome to the real world!

I brag about how hard the nursing program is and that it is the hardest one in the state. Meaning I'm doing well and I anticipate a very good future looking for a job in my career.

Britne

My advice to students and parents about finding the right college for you is to take your time. I would say start looking into schools early, and then really sit down and evaluate each school that you are considering. Look at everything possible; from how many courses are offered each semester to how many plays are done while the student will be there. The more you know about every school will allow you and your student to make an informed decision and not be caught of guard when you finally sign your paperwork. College is an important four years of the students life and you want to provide them at the right place for them. I would say to look at the school itself not its perks. Don't check out the mascot or the colors. Look into the financial aid and academic programs that are offered. Be selective. Don't rely on something you heard, check it out for yourself. My biggest piece of advice would be to start looking at schools early, and give you and your student plenty of time to evaluate each school. Pick the one that fits you best.

I think the best thing about my school is the size. I like the small school atmosphere. I believe it gives the students a chance to get to know their classmates and their professors. I also think it allows the students to interact more with the prefessors. The small campus gives students of different backgrounds and ethics to become friends. I like the small campus.

I think a person who is open to new possibilities and experiences should attend Davis & Elkins. Since it is a small liberal arts college, we are required to take courses outside our major. I personally think that it a good point to the school, because it allows for learning that wouldn't take place outside our field if it weren't required. I think students who aren't sure what they want to get into should also attend because they can take the variety of courses and figure out what they want to get into.

Davis & Elkins College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.