Daytona Beach, FL
Daytona State College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Daytona State College

Chelsea

Because our school is located in such a close proximity to a racetrack that receives many visitors a year, we are able to interact with many individuals from other states. Although some see the added traffic as a severe disadvantage, others use the increase in diverse populations as a means of developing contacts in other locations. As students, we can use these opportunities to find work when the school?s resources are ineffective.

If any advice could be given to my younger self, I would recommend that I invest more time searching for funding. I set aside very little time my Senior year of high school toward looking into ways to help pay for my schooling. I received financial aid, but was still surprised to discover the large quantity that I was responsible to provide. My education is worth an infinite amount of money because knowledge truly is power, but I would have enjoyed my college experience more if less of that money were to have come from my own pocket. If additional time investments had been made to find this money, I could have spent less time working my freshman and sophomore years and dedicated all of my time towards focusing solely on my classes. I would also advise myself to increase the number of classes per semester. Unfortunately, I made the very unwise decision of only enrolling part-time, in fear that college classes would be too difficult for me. Once that fear was gone, I could see that I was capable of so much more. I wish I could give my former self the boost of self-confidence and hope.

The most aggravating thing about my college is the difficulty one has when trying to park their vehicle. On most occasions, students are forced to arrive up to an hour before their class begins to ensure he or she will find parking accommodations. If more lots were incorporated onto our campus, it would eliminate the tardiness of many students, thus reducing the interruptions form straggling students that distract those attempting to concentrate on the subject materials.

Ana

Teacher make it easy for a student to learn at this school.

Teacher make it easy for a student to learn at this school.

If I could go back in time when I was a senior in high school, I would tell myself to stay in college and no matter how hard it gets to keep going. There is never a easy way out. Getting married with a person who had his own business dosen't mean he will be in business his whole life. A person needs to get educated to run a good lasting business here in the United States. If you don't have a strong fundation it will later fall. Having a good education is very important and when you attend a community college with good professors it is even easier to finish a degree.

It is close to where I live and is not expensive to attend.

Courtney

If I were given the chance to go back in time and tell myself, as a high school senior, about college life and making the transition, I would deffinately do so. I would let myself know that college life isn't as hard as it sounds and the transition would be easier if I enrolled imediately. I would explain that taking time off isn't as appealng as it sounds and that getting back on track is hard. I would inform myself where the economy is headed and how important it is to go to college right after high school. I would let myself know that college isn't that much different from highscool, exept your classes are spread out so that you have time to yourself in-between. I would say how stimulating college is and how it helps build character. I believe going back in time to let myself know about college life and the transition would open my eyes, relieve stress and make a difference by keeping me on track.

Jeffry

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would advise myself to take my time. I would also advise myself to not take all the easy classes first, mix and match the moderate course with the harder courses. I would also advise myself to start planning for scholarships earlier. And, probably the greatest piece of advise that I would provide to myself would be not to procrastinate, and take a whole lot of notes.

I would consider the professors to be the best thing about my school. I think that the professors are the best thing at my school because they are the ones imparting knowledge into us (the students). Molding, shaping and creating the future leaders of tomorrow, professors and instructors alike want the best from every student. I appreciate them for wanting to educate. Me realizing that professors, instructors, teachers, and any educator whether inside or outside of the home are not paid enough but are willing to make sacrifices on our generations behalf.

I would consider the professors to be the worst thing about my school. I think that the professors are the worst thing at my school because they are usually too analytical or too overbearing, always willing and ready to hand out the next assignment to each student. I always try to advise the instructors that what we have already learned in class is quite enough and they should let it marinate.

Melody

Not to take college light hearted. Your education is an essential for the work place. Maybe to persue college as a single women instead of tring to be in a committed relationship. You need to devote time to school and really have no need for a relationship. It will all come in due time but, this is the time to focus on you and your future!!!!

The parking. There is never a place to park you really have to get to class extremly early to get a parking spot and even then you are not guarnteed one.

The teachers seem like they are their for their paycheck and not really concerned about the students education.

Shaila

My school is an growing, proffessional, organized institution.

My school is an growing, proffessional, organized institution.

If I could go back in time as a Senior and give myself advise, I would have considered a lot of the wisdom I have now. I would have gave advice on how to complete fafsa information and why it is important, applied myself to more scholarships to avoid taking out loans, advise on dual enrollment programs, and how to manage my schedule accordingly. I feel that it is important to know all the information that you can obtain as a student to qualify for the financial aid that is available to you. In the long run it helps the students from taking out loans that are not needed. The most important advise that I would have gave myself is about the dual enrollment program. It would have benifited me educationally and financially. I would have gained a head start in completing some college courses that I ended up taking later. I do realize now that I am older and with working at a University that Highschool Seniors and Freshman in college needs as much information as possible with an understanding. The advice I listed above are the main sectors of advice that I would have givin myself.

Trying to get my financial aid situated, but overall I am satisfied with my Campus.

Suzanna

Most people miss high school to some degree when they go to college. The social aspect, Homecoming festivities, being a part of some kind of club, seeing friends on a daily basis, having a structured routine, whatever the case may be, it seems that most of us go through of phase of missing some part of high school. However, alot of us go through a somewhat different phase of regreting something in highschool, whether it be not participating in school activities or clubs, not finding their niche, or not feeling that they did their best. There's so much I didn't do in highschool. I went to one football game in all four years, didn't really come out of my shell or become confident until AFTER senior year and graduation, and spent alot of time alone. But I think what I regret most, is not taking full advantage of the free education I was provided, and not doing my best to actually learn and absorb 4 years worth of information.. If I had the chance to tell myself anything as a senior, it would be to strive harder, stay motivated & take advantage of every opportunity offered to me.

I wish I had known that applying for scholarships and grants and loans was this easy before I started school, instead of playign catch up now because I have no money.

The most frustrating thing about Daytona State is that most everyone assumes that because you are attending a community college, you are either stupid or poor, or both.

Aladdin

Procrastination is the root of all evil. With paperwork, homework, registration, just everything. If you find yourself considering the possibility of putting off work of some sort to...I don't know, party, or go on Facebook, don't do it. Balance and moderation are key. But procrastination will get you stressed and falling farther and farther behind. It'll be easier on you, and reflect better with your teachers and future employers if you keep the procrastination to a minimum.

The water fountains taste strongly of chlorine at times.

The dificulty in getting in to see the heads of departments in the main offices. Sometimes, there are lines, and sometimes you have to be a little more agressive as a large number of the assistants and secretaries are work study students.

Kimble

I attend the Palm Coast Campus of Daytona State College, formerly known as Daytona Beach Community School. The area consists of only two buildings. I appreciate the atmosphere of personal attention from faculty and fellow students. The campus setting presents a calming effect with its trees throughout the landscaping and the few ponds that provide the peaceful sounds flowing water and cool breezes rustling the plants and flowers around the pond. It's a cozy campus.

Have you lost your mind? Are you seriously considering moving out of your family home and throwing away your scholarship opportunities simply because your father married a woman that is making your life miserable? You need to hang in there and in a few months you will have graduated from high school with honors and then you will be off to college. Do you realize the importance of a college education and how it can help neutralize many of the economic situations those without a college degree will face? Are you prepared for the difficulty you will face if you decide to re-enter school after thirty years? What about the children you will have? Can you apply the necessary attention to classes while changing diapers and helping with school science projects? What about marriage? How do you put together a puzzle of marriage, children, work and school without adding stress to your life? Should you decide to take the road less traveled, you will see the difference in your life. However, should you choose marriage and children first, remember, you can still obtain a college education.

I wish I would have had a better understanding of the ins and outs, as well as the dos and dont's of financial aid. A college curriculum is imposing in and of itself. The added stress that comes with not knowing what's available and the hoops one must jump through for financial aid does not contribute to a healthy study program. It seems the departments are separate and the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing and it is left up to the student to make the two shake hands.

Vanessa

I would start with today. Scholorships are overlooked while in high school. I would suggest delving into scholorship programs along with college discussions. There are great prgrams out there that can assist a high school student; perhaps it can act as an incentive as well. If a student is aware of "free money" to help with college tuition, I feel that he or she will be inclined to strive for college.

I attend Keiser University (Daytona Beach) but it was not a selection.

Daytona State College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.