Daytona State College

« See more reviews of Daytona State College

First and foremost, high school is important, it is truly the stepping stone towards college or a more sophisticated university. It's hard to believe now, but completing homework assignments, typing research papers, even attendance in school is vital towards training your mind to excel in these areas. All your hard work in high school may now seem difficult to attain and probably not worth all the hassle, but it does definitely prove to be worthwhile. Achieving excellent grades can surely prepare you for the college life in many ways. For instance, if you learn to display responsibility in your attendance when attending high school, you will not have a problem in this area when attending college. Also, when accomplishing great or excellent scores, this achievement and dedication will most likely transcend into your college educational experience. Therefore, all your hard work and determination in high school will more than assist you in preparing yourself for greater success with your college life. Lastly, don't take your high school experience for granted. Your continuous perseverance in remaining focused and learning as much as possible may make all the difference in how smoothly making the transition to college life will be.

A Better Me Sex, drugs, and partying are common problems that throw off many aspiring students upon entering college. Fortunately, that was never my lifestyle. Given the opportunity to travel back in time and enlighten my high school age self, I would tell myself to start developing personal study habits that are effective for me, as these are the roots to the foundation of my future college education. Although high school level curriculum doesn’t always entail strict study habits, continually improving these habits will pave the way to a successful study system in college. If I could go back, I would break it down into concepts that my high school mindset could relate to; high school is somewhat of a practice period, developing yourself until you’re properly prepared for the big game, that being college. I took some shortcuts in high school that, at the time, made things much easier, but ultimately left me unprepared for when it really mattered. If I truly could go back in time, I would continually stress never to take anything for granted, and to take advantage of the preparation period so that I don’t fail the real test.

I've obtained much due to my college experience which has in turn contributed value to my life because I've attended. While a freshman in college, during my first semester, I learned many tools I am able to utilize till this day through courses such as Student Success and Computer Technology. While struggling through mathematics, I was able to receive a grand amount of tutoring sources, compliments of my college, to best assist me to earn the grade I was deserving of. Such sources included access to internet tutoring in various Academic Support Centers within all of their campuses along with tutors, ready to assist, present in all of their ASCs. Furthermore, the college consisted of reliable internet connections in various computer labs, along with the Academic Support Center and library which contributed to my being able to submit my assignments to all of my professors efficiently. At the end of my first semester, I was proud to understand that I earned a GPA of 3.8 and was added to the President's List to receive this award of academic recognition and I was grateful that my college directly influenced my earned achievement.

Most people miss high school to some degree when they go to college. The social aspect, Homecoming festivities, being a part of some kind of club, seeing friends on a daily basis, having a structured routine, whatever the case may be, it seems that most of us go through of phase of missing some part of high school. However, alot of us go through a somewhat different phase of regreting something in highschool, whether it be not participating in school activities or clubs, not finding their niche, or not feeling that they did their best. There's so much I didn't do in highschool. I went to one football game in all four years, didn't really come out of my shell or become confident until AFTER senior year and graduation, and spent alot of time alone. But I think what I regret most, is not taking full advantage of the free education I was provided, and not doing my best to actually learn and absorb 4 years worth of information.. If I had the chance to tell myself anything as a senior, it would be to strive harder, stay motivated & take advantage of every opportunity offered to me.

I would give myself the advice to apply for every scholarship that is out there, and try my best at getting government financial assistance. College costs are expensive and education is power. I would tell myself to work hard to get my college paid for, and to explore my dual enrollement options. I would also tell myself to take my last year of high school serious because the decisions that I make now will affect me more than I know later on. It is crucial to explore my post- high school educational options to ensure a positive future. I would also tell myself to look around and realize that high school life is not as important as I think, and that the reality shock of college expenses is a shocker. I would advise myself to seriously buckel down and tackle my grades, drown friends and teacher out, and to make going to college a important priority to get squared away while I have every opportunity at my feet. During senior year of high school, opportunities are available for students that they are unaware of and how extremely important it is to jump on and take advantage of while they can.

If any advice could be given to my younger self, I would recommend that I invest more time searching for funding. I set aside very little time my Senior year of high school toward looking into ways to help pay for my schooling. I received financial aid, but was still surprised to discover the large quantity that I was responsible to provide. My education is worth an infinite amount of money because knowledge truly is power, but I would have enjoyed my college experience more if less of that money were to have come from my own pocket. If additional time investments had been made to find this money, I could have spent less time working my freshman and sophomore years and dedicated all of my time towards focusing solely on my classes. I would also advise myself to increase the number of classes per semester. Unfortunately, I made the very unwise decision of only enrolling part-time, in fear that college classes would be too difficult for me. Once that fear was gone, I could see that I was capable of so much more. I wish I could give my former self the boost of self-confidence and hope.

If I could go back in time as a Senior and give myself advise, I would have considered a lot of the wisdom I have now. I would have gave advice on how to complete fafsa information and why it is important, applied myself to more scholarships to avoid taking out loans, advise on dual enrollment programs, and how to manage my schedule accordingly. I feel that it is important to know all the information that you can obtain as a student to qualify for the financial aid that is available to you. In the long run it helps the students from taking out loans that are not needed. The most important advise that I would have gave myself is about the dual enrollment program. It would have benifited me educationally and financially. I would have gained a head start in completing some college courses that I ended up taking later. I do realize now that I am older and with working at a University that Highschool Seniors and Freshman in college needs as much information as possible with an understanding. The advice I listed above are the main sectors of advice that I would have givin myself.

Have you lost your mind? Are you seriously considering moving out of your family home and throwing away your scholarship opportunities simply because your father married a woman that is making your life miserable? You need to hang in there and in a few months you will have graduated from high school with honors and then you will be off to college. Do you realize the importance of a college education and how it can help neutralize many of the economic situations those without a college degree will face? Are you prepared for the difficulty you will face if you decide to re-enter school after thirty years? What about the children you will have? Can you apply the necessary attention to classes while changing diapers and helping with school science projects? What about marriage? How do you put together a puzzle of marriage, children, work and school without adding stress to your life? Should you decide to take the road less traveled, you will see the difference in your life. However, should you choose marriage and children first, remember, you can still obtain a college education.

College benefits many different students in many different ways. The way college benefited me out was by making me a more organized and mature person. Throughout high school, I slacked off and did as little work possible just to make a C in the class. I was told that if i didn't get my act straightened up by college, I would be in trouble. The first day I started my college classes, I was frantic and stressed. I didn't know what to do when the teacher started writing notes in class until I observed everyone else. The good majority of students had their notebooks out writing down exactly what the teacher wrote. I gave in and started writing. Before i knew it, I was writing down every single assignment I had to turn in and every test date. After the semester was over, I was surprised that I received straight A's! I eventually incorporated being organized outside of school and wrote down everything I had to do. Organization overall made me a better person. without college, I would have never learned this valuable life skill nor would I be doing anything special in my life.

I have got many things from my college experiences. The first thing i got is that a sense of accomplishment and sense of humor. I became very mature person after i started attending to college. Things started to realize that i am not a child anymore and i need to study in order to fulfill my parents and my dream. Without being something or without having an education, I am nothing. It has been valuable to attend college because i wanted to get valuable education in my life. College experience is one of the great things i have achieved in life and i became very sincere in studying. I also learned from the college experience that the time i need to study, i study sincerely and the time i have to do fun, i do fun. While i study i don't think about anything except the study. i have a good GPA right now and i just got qualify for Chi Alpha Epsilon National Honor Society. So, the harder i work the more better things i get. I never thought i would qualify for it but i did. College is a place where i learned many things. Thank you.