Daytona State College

« See more reviews of Daytona State College

If I could go back in time as a High School Senior I would do things so much different. I would PREPARE for my future; look into all career options and take the relaxed time to make a GOOD decision rather than a quick decision. I would take the money I made at my after school job and save it to apply toward tuition instead of taking out loans and putting myself into debt. Although I did care about my grades I did not understand how GREAT and beneficial it would of been to take College Credits in high school. Also, if I were in high school I would not have taken for granite the time I had to relax with a worry free life. Now I have bills and student loans. If I could go back to my high school years and plan ahead...my life would be great now. Instead, I am stressing and praying to God that I can afford my tuition...

When I was a high school senior I was faced with the issue of having to work to provide for myself. I wanted nothing more than to go to college. I would of told myself to start right away, instead of having to wait a year. I would tell myself to at the very least take one class. I would tell myself to get my counselors to work harder in trying to get me financial aid. I think the hardest part about college is trying to pay for it. I would advise the senior me that the studying for each class needs to be well planed out and that you will have to devote a lot of time to it. I would let myself know to pace myself and to mix in the harder classes with the electives. I would also tell myself that college life is great and that I should not worry so much because the school will be very helpful in whatever I need.

What I have really gotten out of my college experience is just how easy it is to be social and how acceptable people are with who I am. They are happy to make a new friend, especially if it's someone they can work photography projects with. Before college, I was so incredibly shy, it was practically painful. But when I began college, everyone was the new kid on campus and they valued anyone willing to speak with them. Now into my second semester, I will talk to anyone and everyone. I have made so many friends I know will last. Everyone isn't the same either; it's something I truely value. They are all their own person, liking all whole spectrum of music and fashion and they all have their own ideas on how politics work. It makes for priceless conversations and days out that I will never forget.

I have gotten out of my college experience many things that I will take with me for rest of my life. An unending thirst for knowledge, and a new founded appreciation for education. It seems the more knowledge one gains, the more knowledge one finds he or she needs to get him or her to the next step in life. One never understands how little he or she knows, until he or she discovers what they do know. It is valuable to attend college to gain newfound hope, in having a goal to reach for and not a dead end job. A higher and more respect pay grade, and a brighter future then those who never bothered to attend college. College gives you the opportunity to find new subjects you might not have enjoyed before, while still creating stronger connects to the things you enjoy working on.

Since the age of six, I have known I wanted to be an educator and help other children. When I was younger I recall pretending to be a teacher, assuming the role of the leader as I handed out library books to my friends in order to give a "lesson." As I grew older and went into high school my passion for education grew, though like some high school students I occassionally questioned myself and wondered, "Is this field really for me?" If I were able to turn back the clock and visit myself in my high school years I would simply place a hand on my should and reassure myself that education is, infact the right field for me. I would let my past self know of how important her role is eventually going to be and how she will one day have a positive influence on a child's life.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice on college life I would have to tell myself three things. One, don't be intimidated. freshman year is just like high school. The only difference is you get to make your own schedual and choose when your best time of day is to learn. Second, I would tell myself that athletic training is not what I reall want to do, and to start off taking the class to become an EMT. And finally, I would tell myself to set aside time to study. Time where you don't plan anything else, just time to do your homework and prepair for the next class period well enough that you know what is going to be taught before you even go into the class, and use the class time to ask questions about things you didnt understand while you were studying.

If I could go back in time and tell myself everything that I know about college, I would tell myself to start early. Don't mess around and wait to do things after I have already graduated from high school. I would tell myself to start planning in my junior year and get things started that way.You need to duel enroll so you will have more classes out of the way and you won't have that many classes to do after you graduate and you will be able to get my degree sooner. I would also say not to mess around in high school. I know many people like to fool around their first two years and then try to fix their mistakes in the last two or even last year of high school, and by then its almost too late. Take things more serious and pay more attention that you are doing now.

College certainly has been a challenge. It has forced my mind to stay in shape with all those algebraic equations and english papers i have to write on a daily basis. In a way it helps prepare me for my future job as a firefighter where im sure i'll be multi-tasking and loaded down with work, constantly giving all that i can. My college experience would be nothing though if the people i see as i walk down the halls didnt smile and laugh with me after class, if we didnt do math labs together and struggle over difficult problems eventually finding an answer. They made my morning easier, made my college experience an experience rather than just another day- because of them i can feel accomplished and successful as we both grow.

If I could go back in time and be able to tell myself as a senior what to do or not do, I would say thats it's not all fun and games. College is harder thn High School and my thought process was that it was going to be easier and a lot more fun. Don't get me wrong, college is way more fun than High School but going into college expecting it to be easy was not a good thought process to go with. My first sememster I ended up stressing myself because I needed help and I didn't expect to need that much help. I am now in my second sememster ahead in my assignments and enjoying every class because I understand that college is not all fun in games and if I want to be a good teacher in the future I have to work on it now.

I have gotten a lot out of my college experience. When I came looking for a school I was lost and didn't know where to turn. I chose this school in the first place because since there are less students in each class I can actually ask questions, so it was for my educational benefit. I also wanted to stay close to home so I didnt have to actually live there. I have learned that at this school they are actually here to help me not like all those other schools that want you there just to say that they have the most students or just to make the most money. I have learn that this school can give me the same education than any other college for an inexpensive tuition and actual help and/or tutoring from teachers.