Daytona State College

« See more reviews of Daytona State College

If I could go back to my high school senor year, I would be more involved and I would have had a plan for college and I would have asked for help when I needed it. I would have done the Dual Enrollment program and attend free classes at the college and have most of my AA done, for free. It would have been a lot less stressful that way. I encourage all of the youth I meet to do so, college is a beautiful thing, I wish I realized that then. When all is said and done, I regret not trying harder and doing what I could have done then.

As a recovering addict I have screwed up my share of things, including College the first time. I think the most important thing I have ;learned about going back to college is that I can suceed. And even more importantly that I deserve to suceed. It is also giving me the opportunity for me kids to learn that if you want something bad enough you can succed. I don't them to waste 20 years of their life as a drug addict like I did but I also want them to see that even addiction and be oer come and you can succed.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would advise myself to take my time. I would also advise myself to not take all the easy classes first, mix and match the moderate course with the harder courses. I would also advise myself to start planning for scholarships earlier. And, probably the greatest piece of advise that I would provide to myself would be not to procrastinate, and take a whole lot of notes.

If I could go back an talk to my high school self i would have said not to ever give up on something i want just because at the time it seems like too much money and to work harder to make sure i got what i wanted out of life. To hold onto my dreams and never let anyone discourge me. And to apply for a few scholarships which i slacked on doing in high school. I would mostly just tell myself that to make sure that I did what ever makes me the happiest no matter what it is, and to stop putting others above me.

If I could back in time as a high school senior I would advice my self to learn a second language. Because I did not attend high school in the USA, it was very challeging to enter a USA college. I think that knowing a second language is really important and many students should spend more time in doing do so. In addition, I would advice my self to enjoy and value the momentes with my professors and classmates. Now that I in college I have realized that high school was a great time in my life.

I would tell myself to not worry as much, college is a great experience. I would also tell myself that my first year will be the best due to the fact I will be involved in alot of clubs such as Psychology club, Humanities Club, and President of Campus Crusade for Christ. My second and final year at DSC will be the hardest since I will be taking harder classes, and all my friends have already transfered to other Universities, but I will still learn alot and won't regret any minute of it.

Procrastination is the root of all evil. With paperwork, homework, registration, just everything. If you find yourself considering the possibility of putting off work of some sort to...I don't know, party, or go on Facebook, don't do it. Balance and moderation are key. But procrastination will get you stressed and falling farther and farther behind. It'll be easier on you, and reflect better with your teachers and future employers if you keep the procrastination to a minimum.

Since I studied my high school in Vietnam, I would have advised myself to spend more time on practising my English. My high school did not teach the pupils how to speak in English, instead they focused on teaching the grammar part. When I first came to the United States, I was shocked by how the English is sounded and spoken daily in a real world. Fortunately, I am getting used to it over time. Everybody that I know says my English is getting better every day.

If I could go back in time and give myself advice about a smooth transition into college, I would tell myself to be more involved in school. By this I mean, being more involved in academic programs/clubs, community service, extracurricular activities and taking college level courses. Being involved in those activities would help mold myself into a more responsible person. Responsibilty can help with time managment, organization, maturity and social skills.

I would tell myself to always work my hardest and not to let things stress me out so much. At a couple points during my college career, I have let myself become overwhelmed and discouraged. The whole time, I was able to acomplish so many things but I let my worries get in the way and distract me. I am at a point now that I wish I would have worked just a little bit harder and been more consistant so that I would have the success that I am achieving now.