Franklin, MA
Dean College

Video courtesy of Dean College.

Dean College is a private, undergraduate institution located in the heart of Franklin, Massachusetts, a 45-minute drive from both Boston and Providence. Founded in 1865, Dean College has provided over 150 years of education to an ever-growing alumni base of over 25,000.

View the Full Summary

Julian

My overall review of the college is positive. The teachers are attentive and friendly and the cafeteria food isn't terrible. It's a quiet campus so if you want to get wrecked on the weekend look somewhere else! I would recommend this college to someone who wants to focus on their studies instead of the fluffy bits of college life.

Kaili

Dean has always been my first pick for college, and it has lived up to all of my expectations. I love that it is a small school, after a lot of visits before school even started, most of the support staff, and my lead professor knew me by name and in person. Help is there whenever you need it. There are always activities going on to keep you busy. I got involved in a lot of groups and I suggest that, especially if you are shy. I found the academic coaching to be extremely helpful, it costs extra, but it is worth it, even if you just need the time to be sure you're organized in a one on one setting. My Freshman year I finished with a 4.0 gpa, and I am still signing up for it again. I also recommend getting a job on campus, I have a work study and love it, and I also am an Ambassador, I give tours and get paid for it. Can't say enough great things about Dean!!!

EDDIE

If you have learning issues, this is NOT the college to go to. The ARCH program is very expensive and the Professors don't care enough to make the difference if you are not in ARCH.

Chris

great school, staff are there for you, and won't let you fail. All around wonderful school

Kaylynn

If I had the opportunity to speak to my high school senior self, I would most definitely advise myself about the importance of organization and time management. I found early on that being organized and having things prepared early on are a crucial part of being a college student. Due dates tend to appear when you least expect them too. While being a full time student, it was inevitable that in my 5 or 6 of my 8 classes I had regular homework. With this, I would tell myself to be sure to keep an organized planner, and to keep sticky notes. I found that placing sticky notes in places on things that I would regularly use or see, helped this aspect because they were reminders of what needed to get done. With this also comes prioritizing; what is due first, and what will take more time to do. I would remind myself to do things in that order becasue it creates an easier and less time consuming process. Though I feel as though there are many things I could've better prepared for I found that organization and time management seemed to be the most crucial.

I find that the best aspect about my school is its' size. The school is small and allows for a more intimate setting in the classroom as well as when you are in need of help or assistance from a teacher. This allows for more one on one time and in turn creates an overall better learning experience for the student. I found it helpful when it came to wanting to ask questions and be involved in class discussion.

This school has programs for those who plan on attending a four year program, but need to improve their grades or their athleticism. The four year program that my school does offer is dance. I would recommend those that are interested in furthering their future or career in sports, or dancers, attend this school. The programs that are available are for those who need to improve their grades before furthering their educations. Also, they are for aspiring dancers of all tracks. THe programs are extremely helpful and it being a small school allows more one on one than other schools.

Jenna

Dean College is a small school with a great arts department for Dance and Theatre, and an especially good school for people to bring their grades up if they struggle academically.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to stress and worry so much about little details that are out of my control, like what my roommate will be like or how often I am going to have to write long papers. I would tell myself to focus on enjoying my last year of high school and to physically push myself more to prepare for a demanding life of being a dance major in college. I would tell myself to start eating better and using a planner so that in college I wouldn’t have to teach myself how to do those things on top of all of the other things I have to keep track of. Also, I would tell myself to start saving what little money I had at the time because paying tuition is stressful and every penny counts.

The best thing about my school is that there are lots of opportunities to get involved with the performing arts because it gives dance and theatre students the hands-on experiences they need to gain experience in their career fields.

Precious

Ifi could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior, I would tell myself to be more organized. By organized i mean planning out which days im doing certain assignments, just so im not rushing or feeling overwhelnmed. I would also tell myself to start going to sleep early and waking up on time for classes because that is what I have a problem with here at college now.

I think the classes are the best things about this school. All of my classes are great .

Kathryn

Dean College is made up of students and faculty who are energetic and very friendly, and who take much pride into their school and there work, there is always someone either a student or staff that is willing to help you out which is wonderful.

Classmates are wonderful, supportive people, wheather your full time or part time you make wonderful friends who are there to encouarge you, as a part timer you sometimes have smaller classes which is eaiser to make connections with your classmates!

Oranization, plan, scheduleing. Be prepared to work hard for your dreams, high school is tough butv so is college and the real world. Enjoy every minute wheather you go part time or full time you will achieve your goals and dreas. There are people who want to help you, ask for help, accept the help. Take pride in who you are and what you want to do. Be Thankful. Your high school teachers do there very very best to get you ready for college. Greatfull. Be extra gratefull for your parents who have raised you and is helping you achieve you college dreams and have been there in the ups and downs.

Erin

My school is big on getting the students involved in everything they offer.

My school is big on getting the students involved in everything they offer.

What advice I would give my high school self would be to follow my original plans on where to go after high school. I have been wanting to go to Dean College since my Junior year. Unfortunately, some of my family didn't agree with the path I wanted to take, which was to major in dance. After exploring my options by going to a community college and then to a Cosmetology school, five years later I decided to go back to my original dream. I don't regret becoming a hairdresser, but if I followed my Dean career path I could have been graduated and working by now. So maybe I should really tell myself it's ok to have a backup plan but always follow your dreams and don't listen to anyone that says you can't do it. I am proud that I realized that now while I am still young and before it was too late.

What I brag most about my school to friends are my two favorite classes, my Arts and Entertainment class and my Tap class. Both classes have great teachers and am learning a lot.

Dean College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.