Franklin, MA
Dean College

Video courtesy of Dean College.

Dean College is a private, undergraduate institution located in the heart of Franklin, Massachusetts, a 45-minute drive from both Boston and Providence. Founded in 1865, Dean College has provided over 150 years of education to an ever-growing alumni base of over 25,000.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dean College

Fixed  rate loan

I would tell myself to go to the school that I believe that I fit in at. Do not to rule out a school, because it does not have an incredibly challenging repution. I would assure myself that I will find the major that is right for me. Listen to your heart you have always know that you wanted to teach, so don't let money influence your decision. I want you to make friends and I balance your social life with your school work. There is more to life than having your head in a book. You are a smart women who once she figures out what she is good ar will feel compatant and home in her college enviornment. Get to know your faculty they are going to be some of the biggest assets to you in your college experiance and they will teach you more than you ever thought possible. Take those honors courses you will be fine and they are just what you need to realize your full potentional. But, most of all breathe and enjoy the ride because these four years go by faster than you could have imagined,

Someone who is looking for a small attentive school. The faculty here will not only know your name they will know your goals and asperations for the future.

Someone who wants to sit in a large lecure hall and not be noticed by faculty.

Toyomi

Dean College is a small campus that is run efficiently and offers many fun activities.

I would tell myself to be yourself at all times. Never try to fit in just because. Focus in school and always do homework. Remember that this is serious now and your career counts on what you do. College should be fun for you but always balance your work too. Never get too stressed out. Make friends but don't pay attention solely to your social life. Just be the best you can be and try hard.

If you want to go to Dean College you should be a person that enjoys a small campus. Going to Dean College would also mean that you're a person who enjoys meeting new people. Also a person who enjoys more of a hands on approach with professors should attend Dean.

Morgan

Dean truly cares about how you are doing education wise. The profs are accomidating when need be and there is always help and plenty of resources availabe!

BREATHE! Being 18 and an independent is hard and with no cosigners the financial stress will be there on top of the stress you have from moving from house to house due to the homeless status you so bravely march forward with. Know that mistakes will be made but they are all learning experiences and the best for each and every outcome. “Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.” - Silverstein. You've known that forever and try to live by it each day, now stand strong and tall an proud and know it is true. *rereading Catcher in the Rye will also be quite theraputic.

to be honest the night life/ location franklin is fullof older people and there is not much to do off campus on weekends in franklin and the T is oo expensie for a college student to be going every weekend.

Katie

I think the best part about Dean is the homey atmosphere. Moving away to college is obviously a life-changing event that is often scary and overwhelming. When I moved into Dean, I immediately felt right at home. The campus alone is very beautiful and has a small town feel to it, just like where I am from. Beyond that, the learning atmosphere is very comfortable. Because of the small class sizes, every teacher will know your name and will be able to adapt to your learning style in order to help maximize your college experience. Every teacher I have had here at Dean is truly dedicated to my success within the classroom, and outside of the classroom as they are all available during office hours for extra help. Another comforting part about Dean for me is that because it is a small school, I walk by plenty of friendly faces during the day; rather than at a large university where you may be lucky to run into one person you know while walking to class. In addition, there is excellent school spirit. Many times the dancers will perform at a basketball game, or we all go to Longley Field to watch the football game, or students come to support the dance and theater productions. As a dancer, it is great to look out into the audience and see my peers supporting what I love to do. The small school and homey environment has made an enormous difference is my adjustment to college as well as my fantastic last 3 years.

We have a great Student Activity Committee (SAC) which is an organization of students and faculty members that work to plan events on campus. Every single weekend they have events planned such as casino night, bingo (with awesome prizes), toilet racing, themed dances and much much more! There will never be a weekend at Dean where there is not something planned. We also have off campus trips to NYC, bowling, surfing lessons and more. We have the Wrentham Outlets one exit away from Dean, great for shopping and hanging out. Also right in town we have plenty of restaurants, shops and park areas for pick up games or going for a walk.

A typical stereotype that comes up when people talk about Dean is that "everyone is either a dancer or a football player". I think this is mostly due to the fact that dance is one of our popular majors, as it was one of the first programs at Dean to become a 4-year program. In addition to that, football is the largest sports team we have at Dean. Many athletes are recruited for the football team at Dean and go on to play for Division 1 schools all over the country. That being said, I do not think it's fair to classify all Dean students in those two categories because we are much more diverse than that. We have students from all different parts of the world, with different majors and interests. This creates a great variety for student involvement and activities on campus. The diverse community and meeting those who are not necessarily "just like me" truly makes my college experience unique.

I love being at Dean College. The individual attention we get from our professors, and the area (close to Providence, RI and Boston) makes for a lot of fun memories. Our school is the perfect size - big enough to be your own person, but small enough to know everyone. The attention we get from our professors & from our faculty is also really excellent - Dean College really cares about the success of its students, and they will do anything in their power to see students excel and grow.

What's the Greek scene like?

Unfortunately we don't have Greek life...but we still have lots of other clubs for students to get involved in!

Tell us about your professors.

My professors are awesome ! The theatre department is like a family here, so we look out for each other, including the professors. They're always there for you and will always make sure everything is running smoothly. They also have a lot of field experience, so they know exactly what they're teaching since they're living it or have lived it.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

The sports scene at Dean is HUGE. We're a wicked big sports school and everyone loves going to the games, whether it be football or baseball, etc. The games are a lot of fun and there is a ton of school spirit around campus.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

My freshman year, towards the end of the 2nd semester, my friends and I were pretty stressed out about finals because we had so many (I took 9 classes so I was going crazy!), so on a night none of us had a final the next day, we decided to round up a big group of us and have a water balloon fight. We dressed up in our battle gear and brought buckets of water and water balloons and had an all-out brawl between the boys and girls. It was so much fun with such a simple, cheap thing that I definitely won't forget it!

Tell us about the food and dining options.

I love the food at Dean! I'm a big foodie, so good food is a wonderful thing to me :-) We have a lot of options, like vegan, vegitarian, low-fat, low-calorie, etc. for the health of the student. Dean also offers all of the nutrition facts for the every entree in the dining hall, so there are a lot of options when something isn't up to par for your particular diet.

Do you feel like you changed a lot?

I feel like I have absolutely changed since I've been to school. Being away from home, and having to make decisions without the safety net of your parents forces you to grow up, which in turn, helps you change into a responsible young adult. Being halfway on your own, like in college, is quite scary and weird, and it's tough! I feel like I've changed for the better, for sure.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

I take to my mom almost every day during the week (but that could just be me haha...). Being a student is really stressful, and to de-stress I'll text or call my mom to vent so I feel like I won't explode....so that's really helpful. Or, if someting really awesome happens - like a great rehearsal or a good grade on a test - I'll shoot home a quick text to update them. I believe that every other day is a good amount, unless you're going through a tough time or have a lot going on...however, I love to talk to my parents, so I love to talk to them!

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Not at all! Parties are a lot of fun if you don't drink because no one CARES that you're not drinking - people at Dean like to have fun, and don't discriminate between "drinkers" and "non-drinkers"...as long as you're there and having fun, not drinking is SO not a big deal.

What do people really wear to class?

There's a big difference between students and what they wear to class...some students wear the typical sweatpants/sweatshirt combo, while others dress nice to go to class. You can tell who the dancers and theatre students are, however, because they're usually in all black and in a leotard, or some sort of Dean wear having to do with the School of Dance or the School of Theatre. I know that if I have an early class, usually I wear sweatpants and as the day goes on I change into something nice to wear!

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

The hardest thing about freshman year is time management! Freshman year I took nine classes, was involved in two school performances, and also had to find time to eat and sleep! Being thrown into something as hard as that situation left me know choice but to learn (very) quickly how to adapt to the busiest schedule of my entire life, thus far. It was really hard, but really rewarding at the same time.

One thing I wish someone told me about freshman year is defintely the growth I'd be going through. I really didn't expect college to be different than home - except for being away and having to be a little more independent - however, I didn't expect to grow as much as I did. I have truly found myself thanks to college, and that's different for everyone...I grew a lot at Dean, but maybe some other students won't, and will grow somewhere else. It's absolutely a rewarding experience, though, to see where you started, and where you are currently.

What are your classes like?

My classes are a lot of fun, and very interactive since I'm a theatre major. As a freshman, students at Dean will take gen eds, but also classes geared towards their major. As you progress through the years, your classes will become 100% about your major (so now I only take theatre classes). My professors really want me to achieve my goals and see my succeed, so classes are always fun because I'm learning what I want to learn, but it doesn't feel like learning at all. Dean classes teach students how to work hard and manage their time, which are assets to an adult that are absolutely necessary for the real world after college.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typrical weekend at Dean is actually a lot of fun; usually we have things like themed weekends, or dances, so there's generally a lot to do. Sometimes a lot of relaxed stuff like making your own stuffed animals, or airbrushing your own pillowcases, and then other times we have stuff like ski trips or trips to NYC. If, on the off chance, there isn't something planned for the weekend, we're really close to the commuter rail so I could go into Boston, or take a quick drive to the Wrentham Outlets, only 10 minutes away. All in all, there's always something happening to keep us busy !

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The best place to get work done is the library, for sure. Not only is there a coffee shop (which is absolutely DELISH may i add) and quiet places to study, but the librarians are more than willing to help you with any problems you might have. Plus there are so many other resources (like peer tutors) that by the end of the night, you'll be surprised by how much you've gotten accomplished, even if you feel like you're overloaded with work.

Describe your school to someone who's never heard of it.

Dean College is a small school with a lot of diversity and fun people. We're really close to both Boston, MA and Providence, RI - so if you ever feel like you need to get off campus it's really easy to. Dean offers things to all different types of people - from drama productions and dance teams to sports teams and extracurricular clubs. I think of Dean as a small school with a lot of spunk because everyone is so different, and everyone has so much school spirit!

My favorite campus traditions are definitely the tree lighting ceremony (around Christmastime, before winter break, one of our large trees on campus gets lit with tree lights, and they also serve hot chocolate and desserts while students sing Christmas carols) and Thanksgiving dinner (the whole campus eats at the dining center where we're served a full Thanksgiving turkey dinner. These are my favorite traditions because everyone gets together to celebrate the holidays while having fun not only with other students, but also with faculty and staff.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Luckily, when you step off the Dean College campus, you're right in downtown Franklin, which is a really cute, small community. There are cute boutiques, coffee places, and we're also a 5 minute walk from the commuter rail, which takes us right into Boston. There are also parks are really pretty places to go if you feel like taking a walk or going for a run on a nice day.

The Dean College campus is very unique because it's so small. From any point to it's opposite point on campus, it's roughly 10 minutes, unlike the HUGE campuses where there are shuttle buses that need to be used to get students across campus. Also, the buildings on campus are a mix of really old buildings, and brand-new buildings built just for the school.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Dean College because of the family-style atmosphere, and the warmth I felt from everyone on campus. It was obvious the professors were willing to help in any way they could, and the students were so friendly. Also, the theatre program seemed so awesome and creative, and I was right! I've learned so much from attending Dean College, and I'm excited I still get to have a year and a half left!

Some of the most popular activities and groups on campus are the theatrical and dance productions (everyone is allowed to audition!), and the sports (we have a lot of intramural so everyone can play a sport too!) Our student government is popular also - they always try and provide Dean with new, fun activities for students. There's always something to do on the weekends, too: a lot of times, we have themed weekends (like "Winter Wonderland" or a "Spring Break" weekend), and we also have dances about once a month that a lot of people go to (myself included). We also have shuttle buses that take us to places like the Wrentham Outlets, or Patriot's Place. However, if none of that floats your boat, there's usually a get together somewhere in the dorms, or more relaxed things like t-shirt designing or airbrush pillowcases provided by Student Activities. The bottom line: there's always something to do at Dean!

The students at Dean College are really diverse, and come from many different places and backgrounds. Dean is a very accepting student body, and lots of different students interact with each other - I love going to the basketball games! And many of the athletes come to the dance productions and theatre productions. It's really awesome because at Dean, there aren't "cliques" - everyone kind of hangs out with everyone and we don't only stick to friends in our major; everyone interacts with each other!

The academics at Dean College are just like classes at other schools - a combination of gen eds (in your freshman and sophomore year, mostly) and classes to fit your specific major. I love my theatre classes - learning about my craft and my art is really exciting, and my professors are really helpful and just plain awesome! The other classes - such as math, sciences, histories, etc. - are also really interesting, and students can always find a class that will interest them for their gen eds. I have to say that my least favorite class was math - it had nothing to do with the teacher or anything, but I'm just not a math person. However, my U.S. history classes and my English classes were really great. I study a lot, and always like to get my homework done as soon as possible...lots of students at Dean are hardworking, and like to succeed in academics. And with professors that are willing to help in any way they can, it's very easy to want to study and work hard.

As a theatre major, a common stereotype is that theatre majors are some of the hardest working students on campus...and it's true! Not only do theatre majors have to go to classes during the day (up to 9!) and do our homework, but we also have to go to rehearsal at night, so to be hardworking comes with the territory.

Since Dean is so small, its always easy to find a familiar friend and face. Though this is something people often comment on. The size of Dean is the best and worst aspect. Everyone knows who you are. For me Dean is the right size, I enjoy the community feeling and home feel the campus and town of franklin provide. I feel that Deans fit is good for most people. Some love it and stay for four years, others puddle through and transfer onto better fits. But everyone is here to help us students find success.

Dwayne

My overall opinion about Dean College is that it is a school that really cares about their student and their well being. All the staff members at Dean College love their job and are truly dedicated members of the Dean community.

Starting answering!The students at Dean College are really diverse, and come from many different places and backgrounds. Dean is a very accepting student body, and lots of different students interact with each other

Dances, Basketball games, performances, etc.

The stereotype of students that i have heard is that all the student s that come here just come here to play football or just to dance and move on.

I love the program that I am in: dance major, English minor. Both programs are very organized and focused on the success of its students. What I love most about the B.A. program for dance at Dean is the amount of importance the teachers put on improving technique as well as academic skills.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Dean because their dance program as well as their other academic programs are very organized and ensure each student's success in the field of study they choose to pursue.

Dance Team, Theater, Dance Company, Business Club, GSA, Sisterhood, Brothahood

Tell us about your professors.

I love our professors! Each one wants our students to succeed. I love that every professor you have knows your name and what your individual needs are.

There are several racial and social groups on campus: African American, Caucasian, Asian, Hispanic, etc. All of Dean College's students come from various financial backgrounds. However, the student body as a whole, for the most part, work to their best potential to make their college education (and tuition fees being spent) worthwhile.

What I love most about Dean is the fact that almost every faculty members know your face or name. If I or the professor sees the other around campus, we say hello to each other and occasionally engage in casual conversation. The 'open door' policy is another factor all of the teachers share during the semester. If any of their students have any issues with learning or understanding material, the teachers are willing to schedule an appointment to meet with the student to clarify any misconceptions.

Eugenia

People come to Dean for different reasons. My opinion of Dean is that: Professors here really want you to succeeded,and it is a really great college. If you are involved in the Arch , program the classes are very small, and you meet a lot of great student's.

Describe the dorms.

Dean has some of the nicest dorms on campus. There are three houses (Mitchell (all girls) Houston House (all boys) and Clark (all girls). There are also 11 dorms and a 12th one coming in the spring of 2013.

Everybody is willing to help you if need be. Their is a lot of diversity on campus.

Describe a typical weekend.

Although everybody who commutes back and forth from school goes home on the weekends. Their are still fun things that students who are on campus can do. They have a commuter rail that is 2 minutes away from school. Take this and go into the city. A great way to explore Boston. There are also different activities sponsored by the Student Activities that are a lot of fun. New York City trips, Skiing trips, trips into Boston and many more fun things.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

My decision to go to Dean College was based of being a real small school, with smaller classes and low student to professor ratio. Dean also has an amazing theater program, that will help anyone with theater interestes.

Dean Community Outreach. (This is a great group because you go out into the community and give back.) Student ambassador. Residence Hall Association.

The school has students who have learning disabilities, and everyone becomes very close with one another. Everybody is very nice. Dean also has a lot of diversity on campus.

Professors will challenge you. The academics challenge the students.

Dean College is a great college. Although stereotypes vary at different school's, Dean I believe dose not have stereotypes. This is a great community.

Dean College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.