Franklin, MA
Dean College

Video courtesy of Dean College.

Dean College is a private, undergraduate institution located in the heart of Franklin, Massachusetts, a 45-minute drive from both Boston and Providence. Founded in 1865, Dean College has provided over 150 years of education to an ever-growing alumni base of over 25,000.

View the Full Summary

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dean College

Fixed  rate loan

Katie
Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

Sports is the main drive of Dean College. I feel like majority of the students, unlike me, are involved with sports. The football team recently won the Superbowl. the most popular sports are Football, Mens/Womens Basketball and Soccer.

What are your classes like?

My classes had about 15 students in them. I graduated Dean in 2010, and decided to come back for two more years for my bachelor degree. The desks are not to comfortable, but you get used to it. The teacher stands at the white board and writes as much notes as possible. A lot of teachers use the projector for note taking and movies.

Describe a typical weekend.

A typical weekend is what you make of it. A lot of people say their is nothing going on, but those are the people who do not want to be involved with the campus events. the RHA and the SGA put on events every weekend to have something for the students to look forward too.

I enjoy the traditions of the spring fling, the graduation specials and Bulldog Bash. All of them bring Deans students spirits together.

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

I will never forget the graduate activities the school put on when i was graduating with my associates degree.The school organized laser games, oxygen bar, a graduation reception and other events for the days before we all graduated.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Soon as a student gets off of campus, they are able to see what Franklin is all about. Franklin is mostly neighborhood's with mini shops everywhere. There is Chinese food and Italian food available right off of campus as well.

Dean is only 100 acres, which means that if you need to run back to your room in between classes it wont take longer than ten minutes to get there.

Describe the dorms.

The dorms are a little out of date, but are reasonable. There is a common room on every floor in the dorms, and most people play video games there and get together floor social events and the vending machine.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to go to Dean because during Dean Day I had the chance to observe a class and it made me feel good to know how small the class rooms were. Also, the campus itself was a plus because I knew if I went to a big school I would get lost in the crowd.

At Dean, there is a mix of the stereotypes of "stoners" and "jocks". The football team has a bad stereotype of being lazy when it comes to schoolwork. But all and all, many diffrent people are friends with other stereotypes.

Chelsea
Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

Describe the best and worst parts of the social scene on campus.

The saying goes the best and worst part about Dean is "Everyone knows everyone at Dean." So make sure that while being on the social scene you acting the way you want to be know by all as.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Anywhere that is quiet, usually the library is found to be best, however students are very receptive of others trying to get there work done. As long as students can stay focused they could almost go anywhere.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Once off campus, the town of Franklin is quiet and cute. It has a plethora of cute shows and boutiques as well as as restaurants and quick stop places. The perfect town for a college student, just a mile and a half from Stop and Shop, and plenty of safe lighting.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I decided to come to Dean because I was unsure of what my degree would be and they offered a great place to start. The course catalog was filled with so many different choices, I did not know where to begin. The other reason I chose Dean was because of how helpful and nice all of staff and faculty were each time I visited. I am so happy I chose Dean College.

At Dean College the student body is very diverse. Students come from any background, country, speak many languages, and yet all together we turn into one big melting pot called Dean College. Together the very different students make up a well balanced and happy community. To class students wear anything from sweats to jeans and business casual attire, the only kind of person that would feel out of place here would be someone who did not want to be in college.

One of the best parts about Dean is the academics are so personal. Each and every one of my professors knows my name, and is willing to go above and beyond to help with any of the material. Students here are focused on their grade and raising their GPAs, so class participation, regular attendance and study groups are always in session. Professors like to challenge their students with new and interesting material, and often students get very topic involved and when it comes to selecting a major due to the depth of class, students are able to do so happily.

Geneva

The stereotype at is Dean attracts kids who are interested in perusing dance and theater. Also attracts kids who have speacial learning syles. No the stereotype is not accurate. The college has a very diverse student body. I have become aquanted with students who are interested in, Liberal Studies program, Sports Management, Early Childhood Education and so on. Some students are from near by communities and others come to dean from further away. Students that look at this school are interested because it is in a small community but it it is also near Boston. Students also look at this school becuase of the oppertunity for internships, small teacher student ratio...alot of attention. There are kids drawn to this as well becuse school the athletic teams are really strong.

Matthew

My overall opinion about this school is that its a great place to be fresh out of high school. Dean College is a great transition from high school and it prepares you for the future. Dean College is a small school with a small student body. It is close to home and is in walking distance from the train to Boston. Dean College is in Franklin, MA, a small, quite area that is proud to have a college in the center of town. Dean is known for their theater and dance departments and the shows they put on are fantastic. I try to attend every dance show and play possible and see the different talents my classmates have to share. When I tell people I go to Dean, they don't know much about the school in general. Most of the people I tell don't even know where it is. I tell them its my home and a great place to be.

After being here for two years, I have realized the students at my school are very accepting. Coming out the summer before college, I was nervous to attend a school and have people judge me for being gay. Not once did I find myself unwelcome, I felt that everyone I was surrounded by was accepting and willing to start a friendship. I live on a floor with a lot of athletes and I never feel uncomfortable or awkward around them. We say whats up to each other and go on with our day. I am super friendly with everyone and they are super friendly back.

The academics at Dean College is fantastic. I have improved academically and learned how to stay organized and to be an attentive student. Every professor I have had knowns my name and my strengths and weakness in the classroom. I am a communications major and love going to all my classes. My friends in my major do compete with each other on certain papers and projects in order to get the best grade possible. The professors at Dean make learning fun and know how to lecture a class with out being boring and uninteresting. One thing I love about Dean is the hands on learning. My dream is to work in television after college and Dean has gave me the opportunity to produce my own television show and has gave me guidance i need to become successful in my field. Although I am only staying for the two year program they offer, I am now ready and eager to venture on and learn more about television and media studies. Dean was a great transition from high school and has provided me with the skills I need in order to be successful.

Every school has there own clique. The student body at Dean College is very diverse and all mesh well together. I think some stereotypes of the students at Dean include Jocks, Artsy students, International students, fashionable and leaders.

Leilani

As a Student Ambassador, I see every kind of prospective student you can imagine - and as a Work Study in the Advising Center, I have seen nearly every student Dean College houses! Dean has a variety of students, from a large international community to ambitious Student Government Association members and passionate artists. I can only speak for me and my own circle of friends: I know that I like to surround myself with vibrant personalities and talented, engaged people. My circle of friends here at Dean have varying interest in academics, a huge variety of hobbies, and every one of them is passionate about the field their in. I love having conversations that help me expand as a person, and they are always readily available to me. In addition to passion, the key characteristic my friends on campus share is loyalty: despite ups, downs, ins, outs, etc. we are all there for each other at the end of the day. I have had my highest of highs while at Dean College, and had the support and enthusiasm of my friends with me. I have experienced rough patches because of home life, injuries, etc. and every single person who supported me when I was on top braced me while I was low. I love the students at this school wholeheartedly.

Some of the basic stereotypes at Dean College are The Dancers, The Theatre Kids, and The Jocks. There isn't a lot unique about these stereotypes at Dean vs. any other learning institution. What makes these the most common ones is the student body breakdown: our biggest programs are the Dance and Theatre programs, so those students who are enrolled in them are a big presence on campus. As for athletes, they have the same stereotypes that Football, Basketball, Baseball, Lacrosse, and Soccer players have everywhere. People say the dancers "Run Dean College," which is grossly inaccurate: they are just a large percentage of the student body. In the same way, people say "If you're not a performer you're just here for the football team," where as there are many academically minded student athletes in MULTIPLE degree programs here at Dean. Stereotypes here are as true as stereotypes anywhere else you go!

lindsay

My classmates at Dean College are very focused individuals who all want to succeed.

I would tell my self to do better. Prepare myself for my upcomming future. College isn't about partying and going out, you have to push yourself if you wanna be the best of the best. Study a little harder and don't do C work. Try and do your best and if you tought an assignment was easy then you didn't put your all in it. Be prepared for time management!! I'm an athlete and managing sports, with my studies, and working is a tough thing.

There is literally no bad thing about my school. I love everything about it fromthe teaching staff, sports, cafe, i coudn't have gne to a better school.

Amy

My classmates are astonishing, extraordinary and significant part of my learning process.

I would tell myself a quote. ? Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don?t matter and those who matter don?t mind.? You learn from mistakes, but some times its hard to undo them. I would remind myself to be the person that I want to be. To focus on what I know is right and to set my goals high. If you do that then going into college shouldn?t be a scary, new experience. You should be excited and looking forward to it. To set higher goals, have more opportunities academically and socially, and to prove to everyone and yourself that you can succeed and be how you want to be.

When ever I am asked about my college one of the first statements that I make is how the positive atmosphere has helped me become a better person. I tell them that college is your second chance (if you didn?t do that well in high school) to prove to your family, friends, past teachers and most importantly to yourself, that you can set high goals and achieve them. Dean College have not only given me a second chance, but it has helped me realize I can accomplish any goal if I truly want it.

Timothy

I would tell myself to take it one step at a time and also to look for scholorships in order to get money for school. I would pay attention to what I need to do in order to get ready for college such as looking at how the differents schools are and how the classroom sizes are because I would prefer a small classroom compared to a large classroom. I would research more into the different colleges that I want to apply for and also visit them to get a feel of what it is like to be in a college as a freshman and also what it feels like to be in a class with a professor without being nervous to go up to them and ask for help if I need it at all.

The best thing that I consider about my school has to be the fact that the teachers are very nice and willing to help out students who are struggling in certain subjects academically. They have personalised tutors that help students with organizations and help them do well in certain subjects so they can pass with decent grades. The students who tutor are nice and are able to help those who are struggling academically. There is alot of different activities on campus that the students may engage in or participate in.

The worst thing that I would consider about my school has to be that sometimes the students who are tutoring are not available at decent times and how sometimes they don't help out with the certain subjects that students may need help in. The dining hall does not open for breakfast on the weekends until 11am. The food is quite decent but sometimes is not right for the people with food allergies. The shuttle is only available on weekends once a month.

Jenny

The advice I would give to myself is just to keep focused. College can be really hard at times and you just have to take things as they come and MAKE time for the important things whether that means pulling an all-nighter or staying in on a friday night to write a paper.

The best thing about my school is that we are forced to do both academic and artistic classes (being a dance major). I really enjoy that we aren't just relying on our skill/talent to get by, and we will be academically intellegent in addition to a performer.

The most fustrating thing about my school is that they pride themselves on the dance program yet have not provided the dancers with much in return. We don't have enough performance oppertunities, rehearsal spaces, studios, performance spaces, or academic support. It would be really nice if they expanded the program according to how many people they accept into the program (they accept a ton of people but don't make multiple class times so dance classes have 40+ people in them).

Dean college is my dream college, I am learning everything I hoped to learn and more, I never thought I would make so many great friends while taking the neccesary steps to achieve my goal.

Dean college is a great place to learn great dance technique while making some very strong friendships. They have three great dance teams, two of which I am currently a member of. Academics are fairly simple but also can be challenging at times. It is located in a small town, which can be nice at times.

First I would like to adress the Parents. My mother and I are the best of friends, we talk about everything and do everything together. If you are nervous about letting your child move away to college my advice would be "Dont sweat it." They will call, and try to spend some free time with you. I know its difficult to just let go, but they are going to leave whether you like it or not. Also the school year goes by quicker then you would think, and in turn your relationship will become stronger. Now to the high school seniors. I would say no matter what attend college. If you dont know what you are interested in yet, just go anyways. You can get all of you needed academics out of the way, and when you really know what ou want to do you will be one step ahead. Dont be nervous about moving away from home or afraid of what might happen, once you get there you will have so many new adventures that will make college an unforgetabe experience. Good luck to all of the family's that are experincing College for the first time! :)

Dean College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.