Dean College

« See more reviews of Dean College

One thing that I express to parents is that they have to allow their child to choose the college of their choice, this is not a decision that the parents should make; then can be equally involved, but the child has to do what feels right to them. To the child I stress that they should talk to current students and see what they think of the school. I also tell them to choose a school that they feel they will be comfortable at and one they think they succeed academically. Students should not be looking for a "party school," every school has people who party it just might be well-known. Partying is the choice off the individual, and that should not be something one is looking for in a school. Finally I tell students they should figure out what they want from their college experiance and some goals that they would like to achieve, then do a lot of research on financial support, academics, extra-curricular activites, and other things that contribute to the college experiance, and from their find the college that will best help them achieve their goals and benefit the individual.

As a senior in high school, dancing was all i had known my entire life. I had been accustomed to a chaotic lifestyle of late night rehearsals, long car rides, and an over-bearing "dance mom" that drilled being a professional dancer in my head. I had always had a passion for helping others and being active within my community, but with my mother always in my ear about dancing, i thought choosing dance as a major was my best option. After completing my freshman year of college, i realized my true passion of psychology from taking one general psychology course. I took the step in changing my major to psychology, and i could not be anymore satisified with my decision. Therefore, if I could go back in time and give my high school senior self advice, i would tell myself that college is a time of discovery and that there is nothing wrong with changing paths. I would say that change is not necessarily always a bad thing and not to run from it. I would tell myself to embrace the change because in the end, the only person who knows what is best for myself, is me.

If I had the opportunity to speak to my high school senior self, I would most definitely advise myself about the importance of organization and time management. I found early on that being organized and having things prepared early on are a crucial part of being a college student. Due dates tend to appear when you least expect them too. While being a full time student, it was inevitable that in my 5 or 6 of my 8 classes I had regular homework. With this, I would tell myself to be sure to keep an organized planner, and to keep sticky notes. I found that placing sticky notes in places on things that I would regularly use or see, helped this aspect because they were reminders of what needed to get done. With this also comes prioritizing; what is due first, and what will take more time to do. I would remind myself to do things in that order becasue it creates an easier and less time consuming process. Though I feel as though there are many things I could've better prepared for I found that organization and time management seemed to be the most crucial.

First I would like to adress the Parents. My mother and I are the best of friends, we talk about everything and do everything together. If you are nervous about letting your child move away to college my advice would be "Dont sweat it." They will call, and try to spend some free time with you. I know its difficult to just let go, but they are going to leave whether you like it or not. Also the school year goes by quicker then you would think, and in turn your relationship will become stronger. Now to the high school seniors. I would say no matter what attend college. If you dont know what you are interested in yet, just go anyways. You can get all of you needed academics out of the way, and when you really know what ou want to do you will be one step ahead. Dont be nervous about moving away from home or afraid of what might happen, once you get there you will have so many new adventures that will make college an unforgetabe experience. Good luck to all of the family's that are experincing College for the first time! :)

It’s time to make a lifelong decision, I know you really think that joining the Air Force is the right thing for you, but I would like you to consider another option. I know you don’t like school, but looking into the future, what can you do without an education? Even the Air Force knows you need an education, why do you think you have to attend the training school after basic training? I know you don’t think you can afford to go to school. There are ways to overcome that obstacle; there are all kinds of scholarships and tuition assistance programs you can qualify for. I know you think you can always go back to school, but I know that life will get in the way. You will have kids and a husband and being the person that you are you will put them first and you will be 50 years old and wondering what happened to your plans. So take the time now and do what is right for you because believe me you are a great and giving person and will go even further with this educational opportunity. Make the right decision!

I would tell myself to go to the school that I believe that I fit in at. Do not to rule out a school, because it does not have an incredibly challenging repution. I would assure myself that I will find the major that is right for me. Listen to your heart you have always know that you wanted to teach, so don't let money influence your decision. I want you to make friends and I balance your social life with your school work. There is more to life than having your head in a book. You are a smart women who once she figures out what she is good ar will feel compatant and home in her college enviornment. Get to know your faculty they are going to be some of the biggest assets to you in your college experiance and they will teach you more than you ever thought possible. Take those honors courses you will be fine and they are just what you need to realize your full potentional. But, most of all breathe and enjoy the ride because these four years go by faster than you could have imagined,

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior I would have a lot of advice and knowledge to give myself. First being, stop worrying about how many friends I have. The friends I had then did not stick around after graduation and just go to show how true they were to me. I worried way too much as to how people percieved me and especially the way I looked. I would tell myself to make time to relax and stop beating myself up over the projects or essays I had to accomplish. As a perfectionist, I tend to drive myself crazy and I would like to remind myself that perfection is impossible. Most importantly, I want to tell myself to just be happy. Be happy for I still live at home, happy that I live in my town, and happy with myself. I worried way too much and now that I am comfortable in who I am, I regreat giving myself those sleepless nights. So listen up senior year Shannon, just be happy.

Looking back, knowing now about college life and the transition, I would tell myself to be patient and think things through first. Wanting to be like most of my classmates, I wanted to start college as soon as the following year, which was a big mistake. During my last years at high school, I didn't put much thought into what I actually wanted to have as a career in the future, all I knew is that I liked fashion. I ended up getting accepted to a college close to my house that had a decent fashion major. I hated everything about my first year; my classes, my major, the commute, etc. Due to personal issues and heartbreak, I decided to drop out of college, focus on myself and figure out what I want to do with my life. During the break, I learned a lot about myself and how I wanted to be in the future. That being said, I would tell myself to be patient and take time to think before rushing into things.

What advice I would give my high school self would be to follow my original plans on where to go after high school. I have been wanting to go to Dean College since my Junior year. Unfortunately, some of my family didn't agree with the path I wanted to take, which was to major in dance. After exploring my options by going to a community college and then to a Cosmetology school, five years later I decided to go back to my original dream. I don't regret becoming a hairdresser, but if I followed my Dean career path I could have been graduated and working by now. So maybe I should really tell myself it's ok to have a backup plan but always follow your dreams and don't listen to anyone that says you can't do it. I am proud that I realized that now while I am still young and before it was too late.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to stress and worry so much about little details that are out of my control, like what my roommate will be like or how often I am going to have to write long papers. I would tell myself to focus on enjoying my last year of high school and to physically push myself more to prepare for a demanding life of being a dance major in college. I would tell myself to start eating better and using a planner so that in college I wouldn’t have to teach myself how to do those things on top of all of the other things I have to keep track of. Also, I would tell myself to start saving what little money I had at the time because paying tuition is stressful and every penny counts.