Delaware County Community College

« See more reviews of Delaware County Community College

If I could go back in time i would tell myself to enjoy highschool. College is supposed to be fun but it is also the gateway to your future and you have to take it seriously. Have fun and learn all you can in highschool, it will set you up to succeed in highschool. Don't make your college decision based on where your friends or significant others go because you could miss out on some great opportunities and people by doing so. Don't be afraid to take chances. Keeping in touch with old highschool teachers is a great thing for you , especially if they know you really well. They can give you advice on anything since they have already been through it. Get involved in activities at the college, this is how you meet people and some of those people will be in your life forever! Don'r resent having to work hard and go through trials. The hard times are what shape you as a person and they teach better life lessons than you could ever imagine. Take it one day at a time. One day you will look back and be proud of what you accomplished.

This may seem weird since I'm talking to you and I am you, but years older. I have some advice for you as you head to college. You?re probably thinking this is your chance to finally get away from the abuse your endured while growing up. If you have to be ?running away? at least it?s to college. But you need to slow down a bit and not carry the pain and hostility toward your parents into the classroom or else you?ll have some major problems. You should be proud of yourself because despite your upbringing you excelled in high school. You?re on your way to fulfilling your dream to become a surgeon. Enjoy college life and all that it has to offer, but don't go wild with the parties and guys. Learn to balance working and course work, while at the same time enjoy life. You don't want to look back years from now and say to yourself "I wish..." "What if ...". Speaking to you now will hopefully prevent you from having those regrets. Congratulations on your success so far, the future is yours. Make the very best of it.

It's 2001 and I see myself walking across the stage, diploma in hand, graduating from high school and the only plan I have is to get out of town. After the ceremony I wait outside in the parking lot for myself. When myself gets into the car, I jump into the passenger seat and with a big, show business grin I shout, "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" Of course myself nearly has a mental breakdown when she sees me, a version of herself nearly ten years older. After myself calms down, she looks at me in suspicion and says she doesn't understand. I tell her she can just consider it a dream and take what she wants from the experience. I don't stay long as it's already pretty awkward. I stay only long enough to tell her to be the biggest person she can, not to be shy and to make the most out of every moment. I suggest that she follow her instincts more than she tends to and to satisfy her yearning to become a great painter and study in art school. "Don't rush anything," I tell myself, "but don't waste time."

A positive attitude and flexibility will take you a long way. Let go of your fears, do not be intimidated, afraid, or ashamed of whom you are. Never let anyone talk you out of your dreams, because if you dream it you can achieve it. Know you don’t have all the answers, so do not hesitate to ask questions they bring you closer to the answer and where you want to go. At times the person you ask may not have your answer, that is OK maybe they can suggest a direction, keep asking. Participate in team activities you will learn so much about yourself and others and what motivates people. Make absolutely sure you take advantage of everything your tuition has to offer. Things like career development, academic advisors, libraries, recreational facilities, extra curricular activities, events, and research opportunities in your field of study all prepare you and help you grow. Have as much fun as you can, learning and exploring your experience. Your confidence will elevate.

Wow, what a great question. Knowing what I know now, I most definitely would have gone to college right out of high school, rather than waiting a few years to start. During those years I waited, I ended up having a child. I now am a single mother working full time, attending college. It is definitely harder now than it would have been back then. Back when I was a senior, I would of had a lot more time to devote to studying and being able to transition to the college life. I might have been able to get away with not working as well had I of gone right out of high school. That is important because I see now how hard it is to find a class schedule that allows me to see my daughter, still work, and earn the degree I am so eager to get. My advice to every senior is to not only go to college, but go straight out of high school. People like to take a break, however it'll be a much better break after you graduate college and can enjoy a career, as well as really relax.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time and tell my high school self anything, I think the most important piece of advice that I would have would be not to take college life for granted. When I first attempted to go to school at Temple University, I did not get as involved in both my studies and extracurriculars as I should have been. When I decided to go back to Delaware County Community College, that all changed, and so did my outlook. At DCCC, I devoted myself to study and I dived into activities on campus. I became involved in the plays produced, sang in choirs and bands, and got experience in the college radio station. It kept me grounded and gave me something to really sink my teeth into on campus. As such, it further motivated me to succeed, and I honestly feel like I was able to get the most out of my time on DCCC's campus.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would would tell myself to take that final year more seriously. I would also tell myself there is nothing wrong with starting off at a community college and then transferring. High school may not have seemed that important to me at the time but looking back on it I realized how important it truly is for your future. Community college has helped me figure out what I would like to do with my life and what path I think would be best for me. I would want my high school senior self to know that even though I did not take most of high school years seriously, I could have still turned it around when I started at community college (which I did). I honestly believe I would tell my high school self that community college is the best first step for me for a bright future.

Joe, Even though your Dad isn't around, your Mom doesn't care, and you have no personal direction, be the catalyst of your own success. I know that it's hard growing up on your own, and it's very hard to watch the other kids at school getting the help that they need, or deserve, but you need to worry about yourself, find your own priorities, and work for them. You are exponentially more intelligent than you give yourself credit for, and if you can focus on getting a decent GPA in a Psychology B.A. now, then you will be much father off by 23, than I am now at 26. Please do this for yourself, being upset that you got the 'short-end-of-the-stick' with parents isn't an excuse, use it as a motivator. You're worth it! With the utmost sincerity and love, Your future self

Kate, don't do this to yourself, GO TO SCHOOL. Don't make excuses and do not be afraid of change. Embrace it. Sometimes things in life will be terrifying but don't run away. You are so much stronger than you know. Mommy and daddy love you and as your parents will always be there to support you. You will have plenty of time when they are older to repay them. You can't be ashamed of yourself or be afraid of not being good enough. You are and will alway be good enough. Try not to think about what you think other people need, you can't help others until you help yourself. So often people think about the now instead of the future or unfortunately the future instead of the now, live for both. Remeber to embrace the moment your in but know that everything has consequences.

Making the transition to college life from high school has been a real eye-opener. In college, the level of accountability increases with the first lecture. I learned that I needed to be more self-reliant in my quest for information and that managing my time is an essential component of my education. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of time management and staying on top of all assignments. I would stress the importance of asking questions and the necessity of becoming familiar with the avenues available for research and additional instruction. I would tell myself that independence, self-reliance, and self-motivation are key attributes to embody in my quest for a college degree.