Delaware County Community College

« See more reviews of Delaware County Community College

If I could go back in time and give myself advice I would tell myself that no matter what to keep my eye on the ball and to get my degree. I would say that no matter how big of a deal the social things seem to always remember that no one is going to write that paper for you or pass that exam. I would tell my younger self to take my advice super seriously because the path that I did take although it was fun...I really don't remember much, and all the people that were my "friends" I don't even know anymore. The last piece of advice I would give myself would be to be nicer to my parents because even though they can be "annoying" they just want the best for you and will always be there no matter how badly you mess up.

I would tell myself that even if it's not your first choice of school, ultimately, starting at a Community College will be the best decision I could have made. I've saved thousands of dollars, all the while exploring majors and ideas for my future and ultimately coming to pick a major that I'm really satisfied with and excited about. So, I would tell my past self, don't worry if you don't know exactly what you want to do with your life right here and now. It will come to you. This isn't a decision that just magically happens to everyone- it comes after a lot of though and deliberation. So let that deliberation happen- your future has so much potential, you just don't even know it yet.

Please don't listen to anyone who tells you that you are not eligible for financial aid. Apply to go to West Chester, or any other given college and see what happens. You will be so much happier in college. Get over your fears about math and try harder. Even if you go for Film Production, you'll still be better off than if you had believed the people who told you that you couldn't do it, or that you couldn't get enough financial aid. Take the risk and step out on your own and don't listen to your mother who told you to be a secretary and get married. You can do way more than you thought you could, when you have supportive people around you encouraging you.

Always, apply yourself, never be afraid or to shy to ask questions. Never let anyone tell you your dreams are unimportant, listen to your heart and mind there is more than one way to reach your goals. Ask for help even when you are being bullied. Intimatation is debilitating. I was fortunate to get my first teacher of color he talk to me about shaving my grades and explained why that was not serving me well and would not make people my friends. He got me into Howard University, Howard, Drexel and the University of Pennsylvania were my choices, with just one phone call and who helped my parents get the administrative paperwork done.

If you are truly not sure what you'd like to pursue, attend a community college that is still close enough to your home to commute. There you can try things out and see if that course of study is right for you. If you choose to pursue your education further after completing your Associates Degree, then take a look at a four-year college and talk to others who attended that you know or trust before making any decisions. Don't forget to visit the campus as well because the size of the campus also plays a big role in how you adjust to campus life. It's a lot harder that you think.

Go to college right from high school. Do not ever tell yourself that you are going to take off just one year, or even just one semester. One will turn into two, then three, etc. Next thing you know...no college degree. Just go. GET IT DONE. With this economy, you must have a degree to really get anywhere. High school never taught me how difficult being a single mother, working full time, with no college degree, could actually be. Take advantage of it while it's easy. And life hasn't gotten that complicated yet. Because if you don't...you will regret forever. I would know.

I would explain to myself not worry about impressing others on what school I would be attending but, try to limit the amount debt I would cumulate. Also that starting out at Community college isn't 13th grade?we have accelerated college course and most student there are serious about their course work. Most important, it offers students exceptionally qualified professors without breaking the bank. So enjoy having money in your pocket for about two year because once you start your four college or Universary the loans with start accumlate. Work extremely hard and graduate!!!!

You underestimate your own strength and capability, and you overestimate the knowledge and capabilities of others. Strive for perfection, but don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. You don't have to be perfect to learn how to help other people. To remedy the many times you will question whether your efforts are gaining you ground in life as it moves swiftly beneath your feet, and you will need this remedy repeatedly, ask yourself these words of Dr. King, ?Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'?

Paying for college was one of the hardest parts of living the college life so, if I could go back I'd probably do more research on financial options. Convince myself to apply for financial aid, student loans and alot of scholarships. Unlike public high schools and elementary schools, college costs so I would've explained that college is not a party zone. Motivation is definitely key so I would tell myself to develop some really good note-taking skills.

Take ANY free scholarship you can take. As long as the school is accredited, go there. Don't give up the West Chester University of Pennsylvania full scholarship for ANYTHING. You will end up graduating from there (and not in the time frame you wanted) and you will owe an enormous amount of money in student loans becuase of your choice to go to Drexel first. TAKE the MONEY and get YOUR DEGREE!