Delaware State University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Delaware State University

London

Delaware State University is a very great school academically. The institution has wonderful staff members that encourage their students to strive for excellence, no matter how difficult the challenge. At Delaware State, students are treated with the upmost respect. Socially, students have a wonderful relationship with each other. Students tend to explore through great dynamics the college life. Delaware State is a great institution that seeks a wonderful all around college experience.

Starr

I am an incoming freshman at Delaware State University. While visiting the campus, everyone was very welcoming and I already felt at home. The academics are very rigorous and the sports programs are competitive. Delaware State also has various student activities to do on campus which is very exciting.

Alimamy

Wonderful college. I finished my 1st year of college with a great start and I can't wait to see what happens during Sophomore year. During my first year, I was able to meet new people that had the same dreams that I have. I also got the chance to experience what the college life was going to be like for me.

Siara

Delaware State University is essential part of my life. It help me with taking the steps into my future. Delaware State is a diversity campus and give me an opportunity to meet people from all over the world and obtain a global perspective. As a freshman, I love DSU for inspiring my educational growth.

Tia

I love my HBCU, but it does have some flaws. Delaware State University has an amazing staff, they are very welcoming and informational, the down side to the administrartion is they give you what my fellow peers call the "DSU Runaround". The run around is when you have a simple question that it takes two to three different people to help you get one answer, the administration will send you to each office and that office will send you to another office. There really is not a solution to this problem yet, so do not get discouraged just keep your head up and wear comfortable walking shoes.

Brittnie

My overall opinion of Delaware State University is that it is a good university. I didn't think I was going to like it at first but I actually like it a lot. The students are friendly along with the staff and facility. Everyone I have come in contact with on this campus is so motivating and helping. It is easy to spot out those who are actually here for the right reasons and the ones who aren't.

Morgan

College is what you make it.

Trinity

Delaware State University is a great school... if you're not going for the learning part of it. I chose the school because it was in-state and I barely had to pay out of pocket. Note to self: "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!" I never truly understood this saying until I attended the school. Being at an HBCU, you have high expectations of the social awareness of the student body and you're excited to immerse yourself in the culture. I noticed that the students were aware of the injustices we were facing in our Black community but were still perpetuating the negative stereotypes of our people and encouraging the injustices by promoting racial division. Besides the students, the classroom wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be. Many times I was able to do my work without even glancing at a textbook. I know to the average student this is what you've been dreaming about, but not being qualified to do your job isn't acceptable in the workplace. The dorms in any building were plagued with mold and poor living conditions. Lights were occasionally working, wifi throughout the building was unstable, and the cleanliness was... don't even get me started. When I spoke with the housing authorities, I was told that to fix the mold problems, it was going to be difficult to find the mold in the ventilation system so they weren't going to try. Imagine having the mentality in organic chemistry class. When speaking with school officials, I was told that the reason for none of these problems being solved was because not enough people are speaking up about it. In efforts to gather interest, I hosted student meetings where we could all come together as a united force to demand change in our school, but the students didn't care enough to take their complaining from their personal circles to school leaders. There seems to be a lack of concern on both sides of the fence with the students not caring enough to speak up and school officials not taking any action because students aren't concerned.

Arjarae

The school isn’t worth the money in my opinion. The students run the school and staff is there to collect a check. The school forces you live on campus your freshman year which is understandable but the community showers have me PTSD. This institution isn’t a party school however there are parties off campus. Delaware doesn’t have a self defense law so female students wasn’t allowed to carry mace/ pepper spray. If you don’t have a form of transportation then you will be stuck on campus. There were a lot of robberies and theft happening to students and we were told to be careful lol.

Kaleigh

From an academic stand the overall education at Delaware State is good. There’s always an advisor to help you pick classes or a tutor to help you in class or must teachers hold office hours. So there’s always a way to get help if you’re struggling and there’s always someone supporting you

Rachell

Delaware State University is a good school overall. My experience wasn't amazing but others may have been. The food had its up and down moments, but the campus is directly across from the mall and plenty of other fast food restaurants so thats a plus. The on campus housing definitely needs an upgrade and I believe they are currently working on building a new building for housing. Financial Aid and some of the other facilities on campus can sometimes be unorganized, so as an incoming student just try to stay on top of things and make sure all your information is correct. The professors are all usually really cool and open to talk during office hours and will work with you if you cannot make the specific hours they provide. Homecoming was probably the best time of the year and the most parties are usually around that time for all the students interested in partying. But nonetheless, Delaware State has its flaws just like any other school, but it is still a good school to attend.

Calia

My overall opinion of Delaware State University is that they have many good things about them but they can use some changes overall. I the fact that even though I am attending an HBCU, I enjoy seeing the diversity of the school. Plus the school isn't afraid to offer their assistance when needed.

Kim

Delaware State University is a great school. I am from NYC and hailing all the way to Delaware was one of the best choices I have made. I have made friends from Maryland, Virginia and even Washington D.C. There is such a friendly atmosphere on campus that gives the hornet community a safe nest to call home. DSU (as many call it) was one of the best choices I have made in my college career path. There is always something to do on campus and there is a great close knit relationship that students have with their teachers.

Andrea

Delaware State has a beautiful campus. The biology department is great and also has very nice professors. The food isn’t that great could be better and it is very hard to get on campus housing which results in a lot of students having to look for their own housing. Like any other college the experience is what you make it.

RAVEN

It is a good school. A very family oriented environment! I honestly love my school. The professors always want to help and make it easy to get to them. The area of Dover is a great place. Plenty of food and its safe. I know that the students look out for each other as well.

Seth

Delaware State University is a very well historic and caring community. Many of the students care about each other and try to make sure that everyone succeeds. There are many places for people to study for classes and professors always offer office hours or there are different types of tutoring either for science, math, or English.

Kya

This school is amazing, diverse and full of opportunities for students to become the best version of themselves. The students are the nicest people that you'll ever meet and everyone encourages you to be apart of something. There's always something to do on campus, so you"ll never be sitting in your room bored.

Jawon

My overall opinion is pretty okay. The institution is a family like atmosphere where everyone cares for one another and picks up the slack for others where they seem to fall. I enjoyed my freshmen year here as it gave me a clean, enjoyable, and unbiased view of what a college life would be.

Delaware State University is a great school academically. I feel as though I am able to succeed tremendously and connect with people in the field I am pursuing. Advisors, counselors, and professors are very supportive to help you get where you need to be. Socially, I do feel like my school is one big family and come together for any occasion. On the other hand, there aren't many food choices and housing is always full. Delaware State biggest issue is their food and how things are conducted in the financial aid office.

Cydnee

Delaware State University has done nothing but push me academically throughout my journey. I’m surrounded by similar driven students who seek success, and faculty that guides us and supports us along the way. DSU is a welcoming community and maintains a safe environment. As an HBCU, diversity strives to be a top priority. There are a plethora of clubs and associations for all ethnicities to make sure our campus is completely open and accepting of one another. Although our D1 sports teams have tough times, it doesn’t stop the school from showing support! In the end, Hornets always stick together.

Keith

I love it here and plan on getting my Degree from here. The Professors are very helpful and willing to work with you if there's a problem. The Students here are cool and willing to step in and help you as well. As a Freshman and away from home, it was hard at first, but, the upper class mates made it easy for me to transition into college life.

Nyja

I like my school, but overall I don't feel this school is a fit for me. There's not many activities to do on campus as I would like. Most of the time it's the same thing to do everyday. There should be more interactive things for students to do.

Lulu

Delaware state is an all around great school but their involvement with financial aid is very overwhelming. Their are not enough people to review aid and therefore a lot of people are not granted aid by the time school starts. The campus feel is like no other; the games, parties, clubs, organizations, and etc. are student’s dreams but they can also impair your judgement and caused people to fall off track. Academics is pretty good being that we have high graduation rates. I would like thank to thank the free tutoring sessions for all classes for this, they have really made a impact on the school to do better.

Shannon

Delaware State is a lively institution filled with exceptional students that seem to have their lives planned out and faculty members who would do everything that they can to ensure the success of the attending/ future students of Delaware State and create a welcoming and comfortable environment for all.

Gabrielle

I love this college. I am not too far from my house but it is great to be able to stay on campus. They have multiple activities on campus for every one. We support the team (Football, basketball etc.). I love the library. I am able to get help or to have someone look at my work before I submit it.

Zyh'Ana

It's a wonderful HBCU and I can't wait to attend in the Fall of 2017.

Martina

Del state is a very culturally diverse HBCU. When attending it is important to keep an open mind. Like any school you will experience your ups and downs but the campus community is very loving. The cafeteria food is questionable. Other than that it is a great school.

kelley

I wish I had the option to not even give one star. This school is the ultimate worst. My daughter is a scholarly student and very active on campus, however the obstacles of poor faculty and lack of professionalism is truly disheartening. I wanted my daughter to experience college while being able to relate to her culture. Unfortunately the experience has been a continuous headache. Delaware state needs a major renovation on the buildings and faculty. Dorms have tested positive for mold on multiple occasions. The staff in public safety is very rude to the students and parents. The staff in Admissions and financial aid are always unprofessional, disorganized and incompetent of their duties. I suggest future students look else where for a more professional and positive experience of college.

Alejandro

Delaware State University is traditionally an​ HBCU. Some students tend to find it difficult to get involved and feel represented. Overall the university is okay. Some of the facilities are old and lack proper ventilation and A/C. In addition, the WIFI is very bad so it becomes difficult to do homework in dorms.

Ava

I attended DelState part time during my senior year of high school. The experience was not great for me. My transcripts were lost so I had to start classes two weeks into the semester. There were power outages on campus along with other inconveniences. There is not much to do in Dover, Delaware, it lacks culture and diversity.

Maya

I love it here. It has some flaws but what school doesn’t? Everybody is friendly. There are many opportunities to get involved and meet new people. You can join frats and sororities and there are lots of Student job opportunities as well. Teachers are nice and easy to work with and campus life is great.

Imani

Delaware State University nurtures a student's spirit to train and learn a skill. It is a campus filled with school spirit and love for one another. Delaware State University has helped me grow as a professional with the many career fairs and internship opportunities that are available to us students. The university focuses on molding us into graduates that can make our mark on the world.

Leon

The school is a great place if you are interested in an HBCU as an African American, and it's a good place if you want to learn, and succeed. Although, there can be some issues on the campus, it usually be resolved quickly by the DSU security. The faculty are decent, and are there to help out in need.

My overall opinion of Delaware State University is that this school is great. It has a great campus that is very close knit environment. The campus is medium sized and has very diverse activities on the campus. In addition, the campus has different centers that allow students to express themselves and have different learning opportunities.

Kierra

Delaware State University is an excellent school. The campus is not too big and not too small, and the professors genuinely want to see you succeed. The dorms are slightly outdated, and the campus food is honestly not that bad. Everyone is respectful of each other, and there is always a good time to be had. College is what you make it!

Marcus

A college with lots of opportunities academically and socially. Delaware state university encourages a lot of involvement through different groups and activities provided on and off the campus. Professors seek to help their students as long as the students want to be helped.

brika

Delaware State University is a scam. Students are overcharged for ant, mold, roach, and rodent infested housing. For such a small campus they sure know how to charge you for things that students aren't allowed to touch, or, if we do have access to it, it most likely doesn't work. Most students aren't given housing because of the lack of. Faculty do not care, they play favorite and will change your grades, charges on your student account if they really like you. The only reason why this school got 2 stars instead of 1 is because, you will meet some great students there.

angela

I loved the campus and I am about to start in the fall there. People are so friendly at the college and the campus is so lovely. The professors and students are so nice and willing to help. The campus isn't far and its near mall so its better for students to buy things for college.

Briana

I really like the school and the students. I am a student athlete and I find the staff very supportive. I have learned a lot at Delaware State and I am excited about what my future will bring. I have also met many wonderful supportive friends.

Taunya

I plan to attend in the FALL 2019.

Mia

My overall opinion of Delaware State University is that it is a great school academically and is a very diverse and friendly environment. Is provides

Kya

To me being able to attend Delaware State University is a privilege. This school enabled me to meet many new people, explore different opportunities and they made me feel like I had a family while I am away from my family. This school was a blessing in disguise.

James

Delaware State University is a great school! Its an HBCU with immense HBCU Pride. We all get along with one another, its like one big family. Delaware is a very popular HBCU because its so known, its a school that is very 'mixxy' meaning its always something to do. Rather it be studying or partying. I love my school Especially my HBCU.

Chibuikem

It's a great school for anyone to go to. It has a lot to offer to promising students who will put in the effort. The teachers are willing to give up time to help students understand anything that they don't get. There are clubs dedicated to helping students who struggle in a ceratin course.

Beyonca

It looks to be an overall great school.

Lucero

The school is great all though the counselors can be very slow. If i have question about payments or scholarship they ca take a while to respond. You kinda have to be pushy or else you wont get where your looking for. Thanks to a scholarship I won I will be able to attend here for free, except for books .

Catriana

I think Delaware State University is a great school. however, their nursing program is terrible and the school cafeteria is not good as well. However, overall it is a great college campus with a lot of stores around it and everyone on this campus is like family.

Courtney

I personally love this school, the staff is always very friendly and I feel that I am welcome anywhere that I go. There is on-campus dining in the village cafe as well as chick fil a, subway, and a few more popular fast food places. I would recommend DSU to anybody that wants a school that feels like home.

DSU is an amazing school that is always striving to be better than they were yesterday. They are currently in the midst of embracing a digital initiative that allows students and faculty to gain access to apple iPad's in order to ensure regular access to technology, regardless of financial status or previous knowledge/exposure.

Timani

I love the school, the atmosphere and the people I've encountered. Maybe there could be more activities for the students on campus to be more active and to meet new people. There could definitely be an improvement in the food selections in the dining halls and the Wi-Fi is inconsistent and slow.