DePaul University Top Questions

Describe a typical weekend.

Heather

My typical weekends start on Thursday night, as most of my friends and I do not have classes on Friday. Because DePaul has block scheduling (sets of courses on Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs) there are very few courses that will be on Fridays. This means, three days of weekend, so you don't have to feel guilty about going out twice, because you still have another day left to do your work for Monday's classes. Generally Thursday nights are pretty low-key, dinner with friends watching a movie, going to get a drink at a bar that happened to be running a discount that night. Nothing too special unless you want it to be that way. Big blockbuster hits come out at midnight on Thursdays, so when those come around, you'll see loads of students preparing for that almost all night-er. Though I will have to say, this pattern of Thursday's has a tendency to repeat itself over the rest of the weekend. Maybe throw in some exploration of neighborhoods, down town shopping, or quests to find that crepe place that everyone has a coupon for. Generally what my friends and I do is dependent on what is happening in the city that day. If we hear wind of something for free either sponsored by DePaul, or by Chicago, we'll generally be there. This goes from concerts, to broadway to snack foods to famous meet and greets. Now obviously these things don't happen every weekend, just like our massive house parties don't happen constantly either. But upon occasion, or for birthdays/holidays, we'll invite over every we know and force them into dressing in theme with the party. Hilarious pictures and conversations ensue. "Hey! Waldo!" "Oh look its a boy from Lord of the Flies! Awesome!". These large events like house parties, or going all out on the town, don't HAVE to happen every weekend, in fact, they don't happen at all. Each student is really in control over the types of plans he or she makes and how adventurous they want to be that night. Chicago is full of adventure and exciting ways to pass the time. I make the most of it, and never regret it.