DePaul University Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

Nicholas

The dorms are really nice and I strongly recommend freshman to live on-campus in the dorms. It's the easiest way to meet new people that you would never meet otherwise and make friendships that will last throughout your college career. But not many people live on-campus after their freshman year; instead they find apartments. Living in the dorms gets old and by the end of freshman year you'll be happy to get out. But it would be a lot more difficult to get the "college experience" and meet new people if you lived at home in the suburbs and took the train every day during your freshman year.

The dorms at DePaul are VERY nice. Only one (Corcoran Hall) has community bathrooms, and almost all of the others have bathrooms that are shared between two rooms. I lived in Belden-Racine, and my room was definitely big enough for me and my roommate. Also, the dorms have study lounges and kitchens on each floor. Most people only live in the dorms during freshman year, and I have lived in an apartment for sophomore through senior year. But I definitely recommend having the dorm experience! It's a great way to meet people and make friends.

Kayla

The dorms at DePaul are very nice, in fact, that is what attracted me to DePaul in the first place. Most of the dorms have their own bathroom, which means no more public bathroom on the end of the floor! It's a huge plus, but you do have to clean them yourselves. I live in a single room and share a bathroom with two other people. The rooms are very nice, in fact, they are the nicest dorms I have ever seen! You can only have 2 people checked in under your name at a time, and you must check them out. The dorms are safer because of that feature.

Kayla

Kayla

Heather

The dorms at DePaul are some of the best that I have had the pleasure to visit. With only one set having not gone under reconstruction, each dorm is spacious and clean. DePaul is very good at matching you with your preferences so you can live in the dorm you like most, assuming you get your housing agreement in early. We are not like most state schools that require you to live on campus your first year and have skyscrapers built for the accommodation of the student population. Our buildings blend with the neighborhood, which means that DePaul can only house a small percentage of the students. What this means is really two things. One, turn in your deposit early, its fully refundable, so should you change your mind and choose another university, your covered. Two, after your first year in the dorms, you'll have met friends to move out with and can start looking around the area for cool apartments that are as accommodating and safe as you feel you need. There are options to stay a second or maybe third year in more apartment style dorms, but not as many students take the offer due to the cheaper rates off campus.