DePaul University Top Questions

Cara

The academics here at DePaul are some of the best quality academics that I have encountered. The courses are challenging and really make me think. I am learning so much!

Cassie

I cannot stress how much I love the academics here. Sure there are frequent essays assigned, and with being on the quarter system DePaul students have mid-terms and finals three times a year instead of two, but these things are unavoidable realities for any college. The things that make DePaul different and unique are the fact that we have a student to teacher ratio of 16:1, with most classes being capped at 40 students. No big lecture halls here! The smallest class I have had is a class of 9 people! With classes being so small and personal, teachers know your name and students are able to get that one-on-one teacher attention outside of class. Also, DePaul doesn't have TAs as teachers! Some classes do have TAs but take notes in the back of the class and then help the professor with office hours if many students come seeking help.

a

It really depends on the professors. Good professors will make the course challenging, but challenging in a motivational sort of way.

Lee

.............

There is something for everyone! Professors are usually really great, there is a huge course catalog so you can really choose what suits your fancy, and on the quarter system you fit a lot more classes into one year without being overloaded.

The academics at DePaul are FANTASTIC. DePaul is a teaching university, so the professors who teach here actually want to teach. At many big universities with research, the professor is only teaching because he has to. I have had so many great professors, who knew my name and genuinely wanted to help me succeed. Also, the class sizes are very small. While some general education and lower level classes may have 50-100 people, class size is typically 10-30. This makes it even easier for your professor to remember you, and also to make new friends. I am a Biology major, and I can honestly say I have never had a bad Biology professor. The facilities are modern and well-equipped, and other science students are friendly and willing to help each other out. It is easy to ask professors questions and see them during office hours, and it is also easy to ask professors if you can take part in undergraduate research at the school.

Laurie

I have really enjoyed my classes at DePaul so far. Class participation is a must. I always participate because the teachers make the discussions really interesting and worth while. I took a great class where we saw tons of theater in Chicago and critiqued it. DePaul has a lot of fun classes like that. What your major is will determine how much you study. I study a lot, but I have friends who don't need to. DePaul pretty much puts you on a career path from the start, so if you don't know what you want to be that could be a problem. I am majoring is Early Childhood Education. I really love it! I have been given this incredible opportunity to observe classrooms since my third week of school this fall. Most schools don't do this. As a freshman I already have priceless hands on experience being a teacher

Laurie

Tron

The school academics rank up there with the best institutions in the Midwest.

Clare

For such a large university, I am continually surprised at the small class sizes that I find myself in each quarter. While the College of Communications is not DePaul's largest college, it is its fastest growing college. Yet I rarely find myself in a class with more than 25 or 30 people. My smallest class had only six people in it. This small class size fosters some really great classroom experiences. I've never had a professor that didn't know my name by the end of the quarter, and I've never been in a class where I felt that the professor truly didn't care about the class or its students. The faculty, especially in the College of Communications and in the College of Computing and Digital Media, are some of the best in their field, most of whom are still active in their profession. I have been taught by a professor, and then worked with that same professor on an actual film shoot, and both were incredible learning experiences. I wouldn't say that DePaul is the most competitive school or involves the most strenuous workload, but I would say that the majority of the students in each class genuinely want to be there, and want to learn. Often times I'll find myself standing with a group of students on the train ride home from class, still discussing whatever the topic of class was that day. If that's not a testament to a good lecture, I don't know what is.

I am an English major. The English department is filled with passionate professors and intelligent students. From my experience, I have found that class participation is encouraged, and even I, a person who is normally anxious to address groups, enjoy discussing works of literature and workshopping my own writing. I recently took a December Quarter class called Scenes and Vignettes with Richard Jones. It was absolutely amazing. It was an intensive and enjoyable writing workshop aimed at making the students better at writing concretely. It also helped that it is a December Quarter class, which are more focused classes which students can take during the six week break between Fall and Winter Quarters.

Right, so as a perspective student of DePaul, I imagine that you've heard it all before. Been to university visit days and heard about their 'great student to teacher ratio' and that 'all classes are taught by a professor, not a student teacher' and the 'small personalized class sizes'. I know how these statements al blur together into a giant mush of I DON'T CARE! And as a student, this might not be your first priority in choosing a university. After all, doesn't a giant lecture hall filled with 200 plus students mean that you can fall asleep and now show up to class whenever you want? Well, let me tell you this, after three years at DePaul, I have never had a class size over 20 people. Now I can't say this is true for everyone, but in my case this was fantastic. Although the idea of coming to class just to sleep seemed promising when considering other schools, I was drawn in by the close personal relationships that you begin to develop with your professors. Professors always have your best interests in mind, and reaching out to them for help or just to chat, makes a big difference. Especially between that A you knew you should have had, and the B+ you might have gotten without the professor knowing you and your work ethic. Okay, so classes are cool being small, and professors are friendly. But is that convincing enough to make DePaul your number one choice? Maybe not, but perhaps how your classes affect you is. Each class period, with exception of labs, languages and arts, is one and a half hours long. This seems terrifying compared to the one hour periods at other universities, but considering that DePaul is on a quarter system, it all makes since. At DePaul, you will have three quarters a year of academics and one quarter off for summer break. This means you progress through courses much faster, and that extra half hour really helps for understanding the material. While some people criticize the quarter system, I think its great. For instance, as an English student, I'm not the biggest fan of math. But as it is required that I take one course in math, I suffered through. But thankfully my suffering was short lived because a quarter is so much shorter than a semester, 10 weeks as compared to 16. This meant I had freedom to live again unburdened by my weakest subject after only a short period of time. Equally, when you find a course that you love, you have opportunity to take another course that is similar, or with the same professor, without having to wait a full year to do so. So yes, your almost always having to choose classes for the quarter ahead, but that just means you have a greater freedom to take ore courses when you want to. I chose to put off some of my requirements because I wanted to be sure that I really wanted to major in English and stay in school, and didn't want to have to wait to get through all of the courses that I wasn't necessarily thrilled about. That choice is your's, and with the help of a advisor, you can have a four year plan that is tailored to your own liking, not the universities. Though there are loads of good things to say about DePaul's academics that I couldn't begin to cover in one review, the point is, its really all up to you. With small class sizes you get to talk and can direct conversation, not be lectured at for hours. You can get to know your professors and create a relationship that will be helpful to you the rest of your life. You can choose your classes with your best interest in mind. You are starting a new part of your life, and though you may not be an adult yet and know where your life is going, you can at least get in control of your education, which is more than a lot of universities can offer.

DePaul's academics reminded me of high school, only in the way classrooms functioned. Since DePaul is a private university, thus, smaller than state schools, rarely will you find a class that requires a hundred person lecture hall. The student to teacher ratio is roughly 30:1, a more intimate setting that encourages class participation and forms a familiar student-teacher relationship. I, however, am an English major with a focus on creative writing so my class sizes are even smaller (about half the students in a normal class, a 15:1 student-teacher ratio). These intimate class settings are vital to an English Major like myself, where more focus is placed on writing workshops. Receiving feedback on a paper from 15 students is more hassle-free and even more soothing, than receiving feedback from 50 or 100 people. Most of the professors I've had memorize the class roster by the end of the first week of classes. Professors constantly remind you of their office hours in case you need help writing a paper or just want to discuss a lecture. If you are respectable and have a genuine interest in the course, professors will have no problem opening up their schedules to fit your own. Many of the professors also work as academic advisers so they are happy to help if you have any problem or need something explained to you. And when that time comes to begin applying for jobs (like I so frequently lose sleep over), have no fear because the Career Center is just the place. With a diligent staff and many opportunities, DePaul's Career Center acknowledges your interests and strives to put you in the workplace at your comfort.

DePaul operates on the quarter system with each class being ten weeks long. This can be good and bad. One reason I like the quarter system is because it is face-paced, and if I don't like a class, it will be over in a short time. The quarter system can sometimes be too much to handle though, as a whole subject of class is covered in such a short time. Participation and group work seems to be a major part of most DePaul classes. Discussion, projects, and class interacting are often an important part of your class grade. Though this can be intimidating at first, I found that it is important to speak up in class or take advantage of the generous office hours most professors hold outside of class. These men and women are experts in their field of teaching and are always interesting to listen to whether it be about a certain career field, a class discussion, or pretty much anything you care to discuss!

The academics are outstanding at DePaul. Professors become close with students becase of the small sized classes. Professors know your name. My favorite class was Abnormal Psychology. My least favorite class was my sophomore seminar class. Class participation is NEEDED to get a good grade in most classes.

The quarter system at DePaul gives a definite advantage to the students. While it is extremely challenging and requires a vast amount of focus and determination, it gives students the skills needed to balance different tasks in their careers. It truly prepares you for the real world. Midterms and finals come three times a year but the support of the professors make these times as painless as possible. Because of our smaller student population, the amount of time each professor can spend with their students is far greater than what you'll find at a large scale institution. This is a key to the students' success and ensure the students learn to work with their superiors in a productive manner, thus preparing them for future careers.

I love the variety of classes offered in some areas of study. For instance, you can take history classes about the middle ages, or world wars, or if that's not your thing there is also history of games (such as chess, senet, world of warcraft even) and art history. It makes it easier for you to take classes that you are interested in, which makes the breathe of knowledge classes that much easier to fulfill.

Unlike state universities, DePaul classrooms are not packed with over a hundred students. Class sizes are very similar to what students were probably used to in high school. There are usually about 20-30 students per class. They are kept smaller this small to ensure that all of their students get the most out of their education. It's not difficult to seek help for your professors, and they great part is they will actually learn your name and get to know who you are. At DePaul you're more than just a number!

I think DePaul has a really strong academic system. My classes are challenging but are still fun and the teachers are extremely engaging. I love getting up everyday and going to class because I know I will enjoy it. Students are competitive but it's in a good way. We are all striving to do our best so I feel like students are striving to do their personal best rather than beating out other students. One class that I've really enjoyed is called The Evolution of Communication. We learned how we evolved as humans and even though technology is constantly changing, we as humans stay the same. I took that class as an elective for my major which is Public Relations and Advertising. I feel like my professors are always available outside of class and I am connected with many of my professors on LinkedIn. I feel like DePaul really strives to help their students get job after college by using real world and useful examples.

Lee

Across my time at DePaul I have had the opportunity to take some of the most unique and thought provoking courses. As a Public Relations and Advertising Major I have been enrolled in courses such as the Sociology of Rock Music, Disney and Consumer Culture, and the History of Human Sexuality....all which have enhanced my knowledge and inspired me to think more critically about the ways in which these seemingly unrelated things fit together, impact our world, and will shape the future of my desired career path. One of the most valuable things I have gained from my DePaul education is the chance to be taught by industry professionals. Reading a textbook and being quizzed on how to create a Public Relations campaign is one thing, but being taught by a professional who has been in the business for 20+ years and worked with fortune 500 companies, and having the opportunity to develop and present a campaign to an actual Chicago business is priceless.

Though we have over 25,000 students, DePaul is committed to keeping class sizes small (usually under 25) which allows for very individualized discussions and attention from professors. I've gotten to know many professors outside of class on a peer-to-peer basis, and it really encourages me to ask questions and go beyond simple homework assignments. I'm in the Honors Program, a more rigorous liberal studies curriculum that boasts even smaller class sizes (capped at 20) and is for students interested in delving more deeply into class materials. I have been appropriately challenged in many of my classes, but haven't often found it difficult to earn an 'A' and wouldn't have minded being more challenged in some classes, which I hope would've forced me to work harder to earn the grades I desire. That being said, my department and school foster connections with professors, the material and the real world and my experiential learning was second to none.

All classes have approximately 40 students or less at DePaul. My honors program classes are all capped at 20 students and my 100 level spanish class currently has only 7 students. Consequently every professor knows your name and class participation is a must! The honors program has offered me very unique and stimulating classes like "Religious World Views and Ethical Perspectives" and "Cognitive Science: the unconscious mind". DePaul is a liberal arts school so you get to take many classes outside of your major which I love.

Tron

Don't go here. The administrators will lie, cheat, and steal. This a private school that only cares about making money. Watch out for Susan Reed she is part of the exception commitee. Her goal is to get you to retake classes so the school can make more money. She will use unheard of rules to give you an F. Stay away. This school is run by rats and snakes. Eitherway, you will get bitten.

The professors do know you by name and there are only TAs in the Discover/Explore Chicago Freshman class. DePaul's professors are good for the most part. My major was Secondary Education: History. Class sizes are usually around 30, although I had 1 day of class where 2 classes had one class together making the class around 50 for one day.

Our academic life at DePaul is truly underrated compared to other universities surveyed by U.S. News and World Report, the Princeton Review, and other rating agencies. Virtually every class has less than fourty students, there are no classes taught by teaching assistants, and professors will try their hardest to develop a personal relationship with students. Students who complain that they are not being challenged enough or that courses lack rigor likely are not putting forth their best effort in the first place. My favorite class here at DePaul would have to be LSP 200 "Sophomore Seminar on Multiculturalism in the U.S." because every class session was like an open forum and we had some of the most intellectually-heated, critical debates about public policy issues than any other course I have taken. Because our class sizes are so small, students are more willing to actively engage in discussion than in a typical lecture hall format.

This is DePaul's one redeeming feature. Computer Science professors are great (their evaluation scores are all 8 thru 10 out of 10), and most of your classes will be at least somewhat beneficial in your career. Classes are small, so professors will know you well enough to recognize you in the hallways. Students are generally hardworking, and slacking off is looked down upon, both by professors and other students. If you major in Computer Science, there are no papers whatsoever, but other majors write sh*tloads of them. Even then, DePaul doesn't deliver the promise of $60,000 a year at your first job.

The experience you get at DePaul (academically speaking) is largely dictated by what college you're in or even what you're major is. The Theatre School and The School of Music are known to be great programs and the class sizes are often tiny (under 20 and in some cases under 10) and prof's know your name. The college of commerce (based on the Loop campus) is much bigger (classes typically around 40) and prof's won't always know your name unless you go out of your way to get to know them. For the most part DePaulians aren't major bookworms... they study, but not to excess and certain programs breed more competitive, serious students than others (the acting program has a cut system). The freshman required "Explore Chicago" and "Discover Chicago" courses are heavily based in excursions into the city and are a great way to get used to living in Chicago and college life. Though I haven't taken it yet (I just registered yesterday) I signed up for a course called, "The City at Night." The class meets from 10 PM to 1 AM weekly and from what I'm told will have trips to the CTA, Chicago Police Dept, a nightclub, etc. DePaul does a great job at making Chicago part of the learning experience.

Professors know your name, and they really do care. If you need to turn a paper in late, if you talk to a prof. before it's due, most of them have no problem with turning everything in later. They really are more flexible than people give them credit for. Most of the professors are super intelligent and they fill you with as much knowledge as you care to take. You have to study a lot more in college than in highschool, but if you stay on top of your shit, you do fine. In the art department, the professors really look out for you and inform you about everything that is going on. The education here at depaul is really the reason I came to this school and it has not let me down. You can learn so much here, it's crazy.

Lynette

I know all my professors' names. A lot of classes I have some to find that the teachers do not care what their students' names are and just teach, grade papers/tests, and give out grades. These kinda of relationship don't really encourage students to talk to the teacher one-on-one outside of class or ask for help. I think a lot of student study a lot - like me - but then there are others of course who do not. I feel it's good for DePaul to have some of the general requirements to graduate so each student turns out to be well rounded - but some stuff I feel is really unnecessary like the ISP classes (discover, explore, seminal, focal point).

I love the smaller classes here. It's not a super intense curriculum and I find that this leaves time for students to pursue other interests. I feel as if I can learn anything I want and that I am also encouraged to do so, no matter what my future career may be.

Every professor i have had has known my name. Studying varies between students and classes but the library is a lot more popular closer to finals time. Students at depaul are very intellectual. They are informed on current events and it isn't uncommon to walk past a group having an in depth discussion in the student center. The advising office is horrible! If you do go to DePaul you have to be sure to keep track of your own classes and what you have taken and be very persistent with the classes you would like to take!

Most of my professors know my name as well as the names of all of my classmates. There are a select few professors who choose not to learn names, but they are rare. My favorite classes were my two introductory level English classes freshman year. My professor was so passionate about English and knowledgeable about English and knew so much about the world around us that she could respond to just about any topic brought up in class. My least favorite class was my Focal Point class, which required us to write a journal rather than any formal papers or other writing assignments and failed to test us on the 1100 pages of material we read throughout the quarter. I would say that most students do not study excessively and they do well in class. Most people are able to easily find a balance between academics and having a social life. Class participation is not only common, it is essential to most classes at DePaul. Students are encouraged to contribute their opinions to discussions and work together to learn new material. Participation is often included in each student's final grade. DePaul students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. This was one of the things that drew me to DePaul: the people I met at both tours and orientation. DePaul students are intelligent and unafraid to tackle world issues in everyday conversations. DePaul students are competitive, but not to the extent that fosters hostility. I would say that a majority of the students I know are focused on their academics and want to succeed in their given major as well as in all of their classes. I actually do spend time with professors outside of class. All of my professors have office hours and I have learned that utilizing this very valuable resource enables me to connect with my professors on a different level. It is also great to have someone there to answer questions or attend to problems you may encounter in learning new material. I really like DePaul's academic requirements. Within my specific major of Psychology, I am able to double major in English because the program provides enough electives to do so. I also enjoy the domain classes which students are required to take depending on their majors. I feel that the domain classes allow me to learn about so many different things outside of my major that will contribute to my growth not only as an educated individual, but also as a person. I believe that the education at DePaul is geared both towards getting a job and learning for its own sake. For the most part, the professors and the students at DePaul enjoy learning and gaining knowledge in many different fields. They also focus on long term goals such as graduate school and careers. There is a very realistic balance and an understanding that everything we learn will help us in the future in whatever adventures we embark upon.

Classes are small, so professors get to know you. My favorite class is my focal point seminar on Kennedy's Assassination. It was amazing!!! Class participation is common and intellectual/controversial/political conversations take place outside of campus all the time.

Shawn

Professors know your name 'cause the classes are small, but this is abused - if you look around, it's a lot like high school... the kid with the iPod, kids throwing paper, guys flirting, people sleeping, and the general idiots fucking around. WRD 104 with Puccinelli is the Worst and most useless, retarded, bullshit class you'll Ever take... it can easily make you want to transfer, like me. Of course, if you're like the other idiots - it's easy as shit and you'll love it. Studying not required, participation is lacking (at best) or just retarded, There are no intellectual conversations (unless you count Tampons? as a valid intellectual subject), and the education overall is aimed at making you a socialist, homosexual-appreciating, idiot with the appreciation for an easy life based off of nothing.

All of my professors know my name! Most of my classes have about 40 students in them. My favorite class is my sociology class. I love it and my professor! She is younger so she can relate to us a lot more. We get to go out into Chicago where I feel I learn better than actually just sitting a writing papers all the time. My least favorite class is anything that has to do with math, im so bad at it! I typically study about 2.5 hours a day during finals week its a lot more. Class participation is common in some classes where others its is lecture. It depends on what kind of class it is, but all of my professors will ask you what you what to do , what kind of style you like and they try to compromise with you. Students are competetitive especially in the commerce school. I am a marketing minor, and the loop campus is right in the heart of downtown with all of the business right thier and it is competitive to get the best jobs to get better jobs. The education is definately geared towards getting a job.

Gene

Yes

Linda

Some professors know my name. My favorite class, none. My least favorite class, none. To me school is school. Students study too much. Class participation is common if the teacher grades you on it. Yes, students do have intellectual conversations outside of class. Yes competition helps the mind grow stronger. No unique classes, odd professors (yes). My major is marketing and it is decent fun. I do occasionally spend time outside of class with professors, mostly asking about life experience and recommendations. DePaul's academic requirements are a bit much in comparison to others, but that's how you become a competitive school. DePaul provides classes that do both the educational and life lessons.

Professors are a great resource not only for academic success but also for your future after your degree is completed. I've had professors send me job or internship opportunities they've heard about because they recognize my potential or interest for it. They say hi to you on the street, recognize you four years later, give you their home phone numbers, and love to have you stop by their office just to chat. I know people who have regular coffee or lunches with their professor-turned-mentor.

My professors for my major known my name. Studying habits depend on the major and even more on how good of a grade the students wishes to receive. Class participation is very common in non-major courses. Students are very competitive in my major, but also very willing to study in groups. The most unique class I've taken was philosophy with the ethics of killing and war. The education at DePaul is geared toward getting a job, but the students needs to take the initiative to be involved to make the right connections with professors and other students.

Shawn

i dont think i really got my money's worth at depaul. i dont feel exponentially smarter than i did upon my arrival here.

I have not had a bad experiance with a professor.

Unless you are in a 101 Intro class, your classes will not be bigger than about 35. So yeah, teachers will know your name. I like the smaller classes, because I feel My favorite class has probably been my Explore Chicago class on the Chicago Lakefront. My teacher was awesome, I learned a lot, and we went on some really neat class field trips.

Tony

Some do. You can't do that in like one sentence. But my favorite class was SE450 with Professor Riley. Nope, nothing sticks out in my mind. I love school! I wouldn't know. Not in CTI classes. Sure. Some. I dunno, just say SE450 again. My major is computer science. It's not really, but...I'll spare you the details, eventhough you probably want me to share them. Absolutely not. Quite low. In my experience, getting a job.

Tommy

I make sure that the professors know my name, but usually they will by the end of the quarter if you dont make sure the professors know your name. My favorite class so far has been digital cinema because I was able to make a music video. I think that student study a lot, but there are always going to be people that study adn do not study. I think that intellectual conversations would depend on who you are talking to and the type of person you are talking to. I think that DePaul has some pretty decent academic requirements, however i think that the honors program is terrible at DePaul.