DePaul University Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Cara

I had come to this school under the impression that there would be a large variety of rich boys, being that it is a Catholic school. However, when I got here I learned that this school was created with the underdog in mind. Most of the student body is comprised of first-year college students from a wide variety of backgrounds, so the stereotype is mostly inaccurate.

Some common stereotypes are that the school if meant for rich kids. While it is true that many students at DePaul come from families who are well-off, the majority are on some form of financial aid.

Kaylee

Hipsters, homosexuals, liberal, bros, art/theater kids, smokers (cigs and marijuana). YES, DePaul has all of these students and more. DePaul has a very liberal and diverse student and staff population, one of the many fantastic experiences DePaul offers.

Martin

Basketball school!!!

The stereotype at DePaul is that everyone is either a hipster or a bro. And for the most part this is pretty accurate. DePaul's pretty liberal and a lot of the students could be classified as hipsters. At the same time, there are a lot of guys that are in frats and are pretty douche-y. But that doesn't mean everyone is like that. There are plenty of people that fall somewhere in between hipster and bro, and even people who can't be classified by either term.

Tron

The major stereotype is that most students are left leaning, which is true.

Ali

A lot of students are into the whole frat thing and some are high level geeks with 4.00's all the way.

Lee

............

At DePaul University, there are many types of students because we are a school full of diversity! I would not say there is really a stereotype of students at DePaul because every student is accepted, no matter how other people accept them. When I look around the Quad, I see all 'kinds' of people hanging out with each other. Living in Chicago, there are all types of people, and at DePaul, all are accepted.

Karlyn

One of the most common stereotypes of students at our school would be that there a lot of kids that come from a wide array of different social and cultural backgrounds. As students at DePaul we are very well known for our large and supportive LGBT community (lesbians, gays, bisexulas, and transgenders). Among that community the gay males are definitely considered the most prominent grouping of students. I believe the stereotype that we have so many gay males and a diverse group of students in general is extremely accurate. I think that because we are known for having such an open and accepting LGBT community it attracts those who fall into that category to our school, which is a wonderful thing to have a place where anyone can feel like they fit in. I came from a small city in the state of Iowa and coming to DePaul was definitely was a culture shock for me, but in the best way possible! You see so many different types of people in groups of friends at DePaul. In my opinion everyone seems to be very accepting of everyone else, no matter what thier sexual orientation, gender, race, or socio-economic background.

Honestly, I've never felt that there was a stereotype of students at my school. The student body is incredibly diverse. People from every corner of the country and every walk of life are here. It's great!

Rich preppy girls and gay guys. The stereotype is accurate TO AN EXTENT. DePaul is rather diverse and houses people of all backgrounds and personalities.

DePaul University is known for being a school for only Business major and theater kids. It is also known for being comprised of only spoiled, rich suburban students. Neither of these stereotypes is true! True, there are many students who go to DePaul for business or theater. But there are many great programs to choose from, and my DePaul friends have a variety of majors. I am a science major, and although DePaul isn't "known" for science, the program here is great! Also, DePaul was named one of the most diverse colleges in the country. I have met so many great people from different backgrounds and cultures, and it is so easy to make new friends here.

Laurie

I have to say there is no one stereotype that applies to the student body as a whole. We have it all, jocks, geeks, stoners and frat boys etc. At DePaul there really is a place for everyone. And you don't need to fit a specific stereotype to find a group to be friends with.

Fiona

A big stereotype at DePaul is that all of the students are rich because the campus is in Lincoln Park, which is an expensive neighborhood, and tuition is a lot. This stereotype is definitely not true in my case as well as many others. DePaul is very generous with scholarships and financial aid, which help many students afford the tuition. I'm a carpenters daughter and definitely not rich. A large percentage of students, including myself, work while in school to help pay the bills.

Tron

The major stereotype is that most students are left learning, which is true.

Clare

DePaul can sometimes be referred to as Bro-City...and for a reason. There are A LOT of bros. But the great thing about DePaul is that there are A LOT of every kind of person. With such a large student body, and such an enormous amount of programs, groups, and organizations, there's a place and a person for everyone.

Francesca

I think the stereotypes of students at my school are students that are very smart.

There are many different kinds of students at DePaul. Hipsters, bros, and the other usual college-age labels, but I haven't found it very difficult to see beyond that. The students here are not too cliquey in terms of who they spend time with, so it isn't as if there are groups to be excluded from, simply different people with different interests. Although there are a lot of what might pass for hipsters roaming the campus...

DePaul University is known as the largest Catholic school in the nation. A lot of people upon first hearing this statistic might just think that this Chicago city school is just about religion and going to mass. However, this is where those people would be incorrect. Although DePaul does have access to its own Catholic Church-St. Vincent DePaul Church located just off campus- DePaul also hosts a variety of different religious groups that to my knowledge feel just as at home at this University. There is even a place for you should you not chose to believe in any god, DePaul's Atheist and Agnostic Club. Why, you ask, would such a large Catholic University want to include all of these different groups? Aren't Catholics exclusive, stingy and unwelcoming of other conflicting religions? The University of DePaul was founded by a Catholic man, now a saint, Vincent DePaul. His beliefe was to give back to the community, and to be welcoming of all peoples. This idea is true the original definition of the word catholic. As defined my Marriam-Webster's dictionary, Catholic is not only a religion but can be characterized by broad in sympathies, tastes, or interests, universal, comprehensive. This conception of catholic may be lost in the present day, but DePaul University, through its diverse population and accepting views is showing how the stereotype of Catholic can be changed for the better. The university is filled with caring students who take part in service days sponsored by the university, no matter their religion. When walking around campus, there is no safe bet as to what religion if any, a particular student belongs to. DePaul is Catholic, but can not be defined by its religious affiliation, but rather by the ideas of acceptance, charity, and transmission of knowledge across cultures.

DePaul University attracts students from all sorts of backgrounds, ethnically and socially. Here, the social cliques that appeared almost set-in-stone in high school are non-existent. No more fretting over choosing a lunch table at this urban university, because DePaul's smaller, more intimate class sizes enable friendship between students who would not have normally been friends before coming to college. Students' culturally and socially diverse backgrounds are what help make DePaul University an eclectic, urban environment.

Stereotypes at DePaul? Not so much. Of course you have groups of students that tend to hang out together (athletes, fraternities and sororities, etc) but for the most part, DePaul has a pretty diverse student body. There are so many ethnic- based clubs organized by students for students at DePaul. So while there are these types of things at the school, students mingle with pretty much anyone for the most part. Everyone is different, everyone can be who they choose, and I think the fact that everyone embraces that at DePaul makes stereotypes irrelevant.

Sterotypes at my school are that people dress up for class (wear high heels, dresses, ect.)

A common misconception of the student population at DePaul is that it is comprised of mostly Caucasian students. But if you take the time to walk around our campus, you'll be able to see that there is a strong representation of Latino students at our school. From Greek life with the many Latino based fraternities and sororities to the student organizations such as the Men of Color to the popular Latin dance group, Ritmo Dembow. There is a strong representation of different Latinos at our school so diversity is something we truly do not lack.

a

As an out-of-state student, I have noticed that the stereotypical DePaul student in Chicago's eyes is a bit different than as the rest of the country sees it. In other states, many people view DePaul students as all-around good students. The type that get good grades while also participating in many extracurricular activities. Chicago tends to see DePaul students as rich, suburban kids that have a very sheltered view of the world. Many people in Chicago don't realize just how spread out DePaul students are within the city. The stereotypical DePaul students do exist, but so do many other types of students--many of which are mature, hardworking, and unique to many other people their age. I think this is because DePaul students live all over the city, which many people tend to forget and make their judgements off those who live on campus.

DePaul is a huge school, with thousands of kids from all of the U.S. and from all over the world, providing numerous varied types of people. I even think that the stereotype of kids that attend the loop campus compared to the Lincoln Park campus are different. If I had to say a stereotype of people at DePaul, I would have to say preppy in Lincoln Park, and more artsy at the downtown campus.

It's true that there are a lot of privileged students that go to DePaul University, but they don't make up the majority of our student population. DePaul is very diverse and admits people from all walks of life. There is an equal balance of just about every type of person, and hundreds of different organizations and activities on campus to help you meet them.

I think that a lot of people think a lot of DePaul students are spoiled kids from a wealthy suburb that have not worked a day in their life. Some people might think this because it is a private university in a wealthier part of Chicago but the stereotype is definitely not true. I know I've worked extremely hard to get to where I am and DePaul is an extremely diverse school but people of all different backgrounds.

Lee

DePaul University was once rated "most diverse student population" as well as "happiest students" by the Princeton Review. Although those rankings are a few years old, I feel they are still quite accurate. The "typical" DePaul kid cannot really be classified. We have business majors that wear suits and ties to class, hipster vegans who start protests on campus, geeky media students who are currently creating the video games the next generation will be playing, sorority girls having bake sales for charity, and everything in between. Traveling between DePaul's Lincoln Park and Loop campuses you see a lot of faces. Sometimes they are kids you sit in class with, other times they are the industry professionals who will hire you after (or during) school, sometimes they might be both. What DePaul students are NOT is limited (the city is their campus), sheltered (they live and work among a diverse population), or waiting on "the real world" (they have access to internships, jobs, and experiences that kids at other schools often have to wait until they graduate to participate in).