DePaul University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for DePaul University

Elle

I enjoy being a student at DePaul University. Though it is a city college, the Lincoln Park campus is fairly compact and you end up seeing familiar faces all the time. Everything on this campus is within walking distance, for sure. Also, I have never had a professor who I felt was uninterested or dispassionate about teaching!

Charlotte

I am an incoming freshman. Depaul hit every target I set for it, and no standards were lowered. This school not only teaches you how to be a better person, but how to go out into the world and take what you learned to apply it. I have been here not even two weeks and I am already feeling secure in my future.

Alex

DePaul offers top-notch academics. Even though DePaul is large university, with over 15,000 undergraduates, classes are small. This allows individualized interactions with professors. There is also a cap of the number of students per class, which means there are no lecture halls. DePaul has a beautiful campus tucked into one of the best neighborhoods of Chicago. There is also a second campus in the Loop, where the College of Business and the Economics Department are located. Also, being located in Chicago means getting to experience a vibrant social life. DePaul is truly a wonderful place. All in all, DePaul is an amazing university

Koby

My overall opinion on DePaul University is that it is a slightly above average school. If I could rate is 3.5 stars out of 5 I would, but on this scale I can only go to 3 or 4. Being here since 2017, a lot has changed in a very short amount of time and I'm not really sure what to think about it. For students just coming into the school it will be all they know so they may enjoy it but I truly believe the school was better when I was a freshman.

Caullen

DePaul is a great school with a lot to offer. Located in Chicago, it gives way to many resources in and outside the university. Like any school, it's not perfect but fosters activity and engagement amongst students, faculty and staff.

Robert

DePaul University is a very good school. It offers a wide variety of majors and opportunities for the students. The campus is safe and offers outdoor areas to enjoy studying or meeting with friends. The campus housing needs to be modernized but some are ok. The food is good and offers a variety of choices, but more choices would be appreciated. The Theatre School is a new state of the art facility. There is also a state of the art Music Building currently being constructed. The school could be more diverse and careful consideration should be given to minorities. While there is a decent basketball team, a football program would likely add more culture to the University. Overall, DePaul rises to the best of the best in Universities.

Erin

I think we are a very inclusive community. We are open to different political, religious, and financial backgrounds. The fact that we are directly next to the CTA system, gives us direct access to the city. You get to be around so many different people of financial classes, and ethnicities.

Evelyn

I love this school! It was my first choice and I was over the moon when I was accepted last year. In all of DePaul's advertisements, they say that the city is our campus. While this may seem like a mere buzzword, it really is true. Many professors make use of the unique opportunities we have, and assign projects that we would not be able to complete outside of Chicago (such as writing a paper about a painting in the Art Institute of Chicago). Living in the city is a dream come true for me, especially at such a good school! The academics are challenging but still incredibly interesting because of how engaged the professors are. I have yet to have a negative experience at DePaul University.

Rija

DePaul University is one of the top universities of the nations. The teachers here are great and everyone around the campus is helpful. There are lot of clubs available for every interest and a student can always open up a club of their own interests. DePaul is a Catholic University and it is highly diverse. Everyone respects and care for one another.

karina

DePaul University is a community that welcomes people from different backgrounds and cultures. There are plenty of organizations to get involved in as well as the opportunity to create new ones. Professors do everything they can to make themselves available and to fulfill the needs of their students, with the smaller class sizes it is easy to reach out and ask for help. This university is filled with people who only want to see their students succeed.

Mireya

What I like the most about DePaul is the class size. The class size typically ranges from 18 to 35 people which I found to be beneficial for exchanging knowledge with others and developing a good relationship with my professors. Everyday is a new learning experience and professors really encourage students to think creatively. As a sociology assignment we were asked to go to a busy location and observe people's behavior. I chose a busy Starbucks to sit down and observe the life around me. When we returned to class the next day we discussed our observations with other classmates and were surprised by our results. DePaul also offers many services for students. One which I have used a lot is the writing center. Let's face it, college is all about writing papers. With that being said, it is convenient to have a place where students can have help getting started, work through a writer's block, or having a second pair of eyes for their papers. DePaul offers a close community where people can grow together and expand their potential through countless opportunities.

Kyle

This University scammed Milo Yiannopolous by charging a thousand dollars to use his first amendment right to free speech. This lack of tolerance is so dangerous and detrimental not only to Universities, but to the safety of the public. If we all must conform and all must share the same thoughts, the same opinions, or face punishment, the society that's being forced to conform to popular belief is going to revolt. Universities who promote these safe spaces, to prevent their students from learning and expressing themselves, should be closed. They do nothing for education. Trigger warnings and safe spaces are the death of free speech. This University should be ashamed of it's lack of tolerance for other's speech. You are dumbing your students down by not exposing them to challenges, new ideas, explorations, opposing viewpoints, and free speech. DePaul University is the death of education.

Celina

DePaul is a great school. The professors know their stuff and the classes are very engaging. Many different types of people on campus and there is always something to do. The faculty is very helpful and there are so many resources available. I am very happy to be at this school.

Mariana

I have been to DePaul on various occasions. Two of my best friends currently go to DePaul and I visit them on the weekends. I have also visited DePaul for their introductory events and I had a chance to meet some of the professors, as well as observe the classrooms and see how big they get. I met many inclusive and respectable students there and was overjoyed with the locations of the campuses. Especially speaking about the Driehaus School of Business, the location is amazing. It is located in downtown and so close to public transportation. There are also many food options inside the building as well as outside, with a Chipotle located across the street. I also visited the Lincoln Park campus and absolutely loved it. All these factors made it easy for me to choose DePaul to be my school starting August.

Nanaya-Asabea

DePaul encourages its students to excel in their schoolwork while embracing the unique opportunities Chicago can offer. DePaul offers access to professionals and businesses within your prospective field. Attending school in Chicago, I feel extremely connected to the city. Students encounter individuals outside of their network every day. I would suggest DePaul to any student who seeks independence from the everyday norm. It is encouraged that students recognize and accept their individualism. There will always be something new to experience in Chicago. If I could go back to my senior year of high school now, I would still choose DePaul.

Mariko

As an incoming freshman of DePaul University, I am excited for my new experience and I am assured that DePaul is the right school for me. At orientation, DePaul's students and staff made sure that all incoming freshman were educated on safety, consent, respect, and the importance of community service. Respecting gender pronouns and knowing how to sensibly facilitate conversations about issues such as race and sexual assault are very important to me and I am glad that DePaul shares the same values. I also really admire the philosophy of "Take Care DePaul," which essentially means that taking care of oneself and looking out for peers will ultimately benefit the community as a whole.

Troi

I believe DePaul’s location is what makes the school so desirable. I love the fact that we are on a quarter system because it gives us extended breaks. Also, DePaul has a lot of opportunities for students to build with their community. Overall it is a pretty nice school with amazing classes but they should do a slightly better job with financing and taking care of their students needs.

lacarri

DePaul is an amazing school. Very tolerant and open to people of all backgrounds. Everyone is welcoming and it’s very easy to adapt. Being in the heart of the city opens you up to new experiences and gives each of us amazing opportunities. The professors truly care about their students and are willing to go the extra the mile for any student who needs help.

Miguel

DePaul University has always been a great name, that everyone knows and respects. I have not met one person from the Chicago area that does not know about DePaul University. Everyone I have spoken to always says: "Wow, that is a great school to be attending." I can proudly say I am a student at DePaul University.

EVELYN

DePaul is a great university! If you're looking for a school in the city that allows you to feel like you're on a big campus, but with a small community, DePaul is a great fit.

Jovana

DePaul University is definitely a space that provides the best quality education, however, there's plenty of room for change. DePaul tends to cater to students who live on-campus and who participate in extracurricular activities that benefit DePaul in some way. The journalism program could definitely use some revision as well as the internship program.

sara

DePaul was my first choice school and I have always loved the non judgmental and supportive atmosphere. Professors are always there to help and class sizes are small so they know your name. The food is okay I wish there were more vegetarian options. I think the classes are engaging and the dorms are lovely.

Sara

DePaul is a great city school. You don't get the typical "State School" vibe here. There is a plethora of internship and working opportunities that let you get ahead of your peers at state schools. There is so much to do here in your free time; parks, lake Michigan, museums, thousands of restaurants, bars, and music/theatre venues.

I chose DePaul after researching other colleges and going on visits. Actually DePaul was never on my radar and I really didn't want to go to visit the school. At the meeting I was falling asleep and we ended up skipping the campus tour, going out for lunch and then visiting the journalism department. But, after comparing the other schools that I had visited in and out of Chicago, I fell in love with the school, their mission and the opportunities available to me in the city. I applied early and waited and got accepted. I never bothered to apply to any other school because DePaul was the one for me. I could have gone to my state school that offers many of the same benefits, but so many people from my high school are going there it would seem like I was still in high school. I want to get out and spread my wings and that is what DePaul will help me do. I sat in on a class and it was small and the professor even let me contribute. That shows me that the teachers value opinions of all their students. I am looking forward to starting my next step of my journey and becoming a part of the DePaul tradition of service , dedication and excellence in all aspects of my life!

DePaul is a great school, it is a hidden gem that not many people often consider. It is located in Lincoln Park, so there is always something to do and if you get bored of LP, you can always go downtown and find many other activities to do. The only bad thing is that it is often difficult to make friends because everyone is so independent and does their own things. People aren't very social, even in class! The best way to make friends is by joining a club or a sorority/fraternity.

Eurell

DePaul University is a great school. The class sizes aren't that big so there is more individual attention to each student. Also are basketball teams are huge here. There is a lot of community within the college. We have two campus one in Lincoln park and one in the loop. I get more of a college feeling for the Lincoln park campus then the loop campus. They have really good restaurants at DePaul and around the campus so you'll always have something to eat as well! The more expensive dorms are nicer and larger the less expensive dorms. On campus housing is really nice if you live close to the Lincoln park campus. Overall great school and great environment!

Monica

I believe it would be a good fit for many because of the academic and social life. It is a lovely campus! One of the campuses is located on the city of Chicago making it easier to find places to eat, visit, and hangout at.

marsha

It is a great school field with unlimited possibilities. The PRAD program takes advantage of its locations and gives students real world application. The faculty are the pros in their era and they are always looking for bigger and better opportunities for their students.

Bryan

The school is absolutely fantastic! There's a clear sense of community and civil engagement that is present at all times. It is so important to myself and the university that our Vincentian values are shared and carried out. Everyone on campus is so nice and understanding. Depaul has an incredible environment that everyone should be a part of because everyone has a place here.

Martin

I think it's one of the best diverse universities in Chicago and the state of Illinois. There's an abundance of organizations you can join. Since the university is situated in Chicago, there are many opportunities to get connected to internships and other jobs just because of your DePaul alliance.

Paige

The people at the university are very kind, especially the faculty. I have had issues with my grants and scholarships, and DePaul moved heaven and earth to make sure I was able to continue my education. The community involvement at the university is something to be a part of. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at DePaul thus far.

Justin

I am satisfied that I chose to attend DePaul University. It is more or less everything that I had hoped for.

Robin

The School for New Learning makes higher education attainable for adult students who have the challenge of balancing work, home, and school. The support provided by the SNL Faculty is stellar! There are many online and classroom courses, which is nice. They also have a Writing Center that you can utilize. The Writing Center is staffed with students who will help you with your papers and give you guidance. This is a great school!

Lesley

I picked DePaul because it's diverse and expressive. There's lots of resources everywhere. The clubs and organizations are welcoming and useful. Staff and faculties are always there to help you out and figuring out what's best for you. They also have the best classes of your interest.

Erik

DePaul is an institution I feel proud to attend. We are a local staple in Chicago which is widely respected. The institution is always evolving to help provide students with the education needed to set us apart from the rest. Academically the school offers preset degrees or in many cases will develop a custom education plan to provide us with a degree and knowledge which we know will help us land that perfect job. It is amazing to have professors and faculty as excited about my future as I am. It is even more amazing how encouraging everyone at DePaul is with my academic success. To earn a degree is one thing, but we are doing more than that at DePaul. Our tuition is reinvested in each student by opening doors that otherwise would not have been possible to open. Our opportunities are endless because of this great institution. I know that from my first meeting with the school of hospitality to today there is no better place I could have selected to earn my master's degree. Each day I am encouraged to challenge myself further and one day, maybe, I will take the leap and pursue a PhD. That is something I would have never considered had my professors and faculty at DePaul not encourage me every step of the way. Not only encouraging me, but seeing something in me I don't think I was able to see myself. That is the ability to elevate myself to levels I never thought possible. It is exciting to not have an ending with my academic career and yet have a path that will keep me heading in the direction to exceed goal I always knew I could attain.

Jane

I have never been more insulted and ostracized by a group of individuals my entire life despite growing up in a middle class background. If you’re not wearing brand named attire you’re immediately selected out and bullied. Yes here I am being bullied in my 20’s for not wearing $100 clothing despite attending through grants and scholarship. I thought the point of becoming an adult was finding one self in college but these students are completely immature and narrowminded. The whole schools culture needs a giant reality check. Not everyone who goes here is wealthy.

maria

Overall, I think it is a good school, but when it comes to financial aid, it could use some improvement. When you ask for help, they say it isn't their job and basically leave it up to you to go out and find them. Other than that, I do enjoy my school very much.

Haedy

I think that DePaul University is a good school. There is opportunity to have the best college experience you can have, but ultimately it's up to you. I've been enjoying my time at this university, Chicago is the place to be. I think the academics are good but the people are what makes this school stand out.

After I had finished completing my transfer requirement credits in Fall 2016 at Harold Washington Community College. My mind was determined to go at Depaul to get my bachelor degree because of their small classrooms, quarter sessions, and their College of Communication is a really good program. DePaul is a great university to graduate a degree: their main priority is to help students to get internships or connections in the workforce It is crazy expensive to study at Depaul university for four years, but it will be all worth it when I graduate with a Bachelor degree.

Adriana

DePaul University offers many great opportunities for students of all interests. There are many ways for students to get involved at DePaul with countless clubs, sports, greek life, etc. If there isn't something for you, well you can start your own club! There is a lot to offer and if you are interested in attending DePaul, you should definitely come check it out.

Amala

Overall great experience. There are lots of course options. The professors are very caring and are around to help with anything you need. The facilities are clean and open late for night studying. The "city is your campus" is the motto and it true. There is a lot of opportunity to explore the Chicago area and how it applies to your major/interests.

maria

Great college. Its the biggest catholic university in the USA but it doesn't feel this big. LOTS to do around campus and the city. Great city life. Students are cool and professors are amazing. LOTS of academic support. Hope you like the cold winters, thats the only thing about it that sucks. But, summer in Chicago is AMAZING!!!

Arianna

I was looking for a mid size college in an urban area with a great reputation. I found it all at DePaul. Everyone is nice, the dorms are roomy and modern, the classes are on average 15-20 students, the surrounding community is very artsy and vibrant. There are a lot of sights to see in Chicago and the tuition includes a free bus/train card to roam the city. All freshman are required to take a class that allows you to learn about the city of chicago and its ethnically diverse communities. A lot of opportunites are available here for every walk of life.

I wanted to love this school. I was only there one semester and I didn't feel comfortable as a student of color. I've submitted my transcript when I transferred and they made me retake an English class that I passed with an ”A” at Malcolm X College. Another problem that I am encountering is the Financial Aid administrator editing my FASFA without my knowledge and I didn't receive my pell grant because of this change. With me being a person of color I feel as I am being targeted to pay more money. I will not let this happen. I will be transferring schools and take my money and my 3.7 GPA elsewhere. Peace ✌

Joshua

I really love the school. Everyone there seems to care for your overall well being and they really bring in the college atmosphere. Though it may be pricey, DePaul is a school for the responsible and the dedicated. It really prepares you for the real world, which is the reason why I'm doing this application.

Ma

DePaul needs to provide safe commute for the kids between the Lincoln park and downtown campus, especially at night. It is not safe for the kids to get on the subway at night in Chicago to go back to the Lincoln park campus. DePaul is an expensive school, and can afford buses or security for the kids who need to travel at night to take classes between lincoln park and downtown.

Jada

I like Depaul academically, but for everything else we're really lacking. We have no fun extracurricular activities and the ones that are fun meet once a blue moon. Our extracurricular are more like things to put on a LinkedIn profile than actually fun things. I also think it's absolutely wild that we're a campus that allows students to bring white supremacists and nationalists on the campus and then wonder why people are upset.

Teresa

DePaul University is wonderful! It has allowed me to grow as a person, student, and member of a community. The professors are always an email away, and the friendships I made in the resident halls will last me a lifetime. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. DePaul has allowed me to utizilze Chicago and make it my campus.

Janeli

DePaul University has become the perfect fit for me. The combination of their urban setting, small class sizes, and abundance of resources is what makes the university thrive so well. As a student I feel valued whenever I am on campus. The school equally expresses the importance of all career types and is always there for whatever one might need. The university does an amazing job at recognizing its student body.

I love DePaul! It's not a gigantic campus and it's in a generally safe section of Chicago. The class sizes are small making it very easy to have a lot of 1-1 time with other students and professors. The curriculum offered is varied for many educational paths to follow. The year is split by quarters instead of semesters which only gives you 10 weeks from start to finish on a course which can be a little scary but it really works out quite well. DePaul offers the feel of a small university with all the personal touches located in a very big city. There's always something to do when you're not studying or in class.