DePaul University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for DePaul University

I love DePaul! It's not a gigantic campus and it's in a generally safe section of Chicago. The class sizes are small making it very easy to have a lot of 1-1 time with other students and professors. The curriculum offered is varied for many educational paths to follow. The year is split by quarters instead of semesters which only gives you 10 weeks from start to finish on a course which can be a little scary but it really works out quite well. DePaul offers the feel of a small university with all the personal touches located in a very big city. There's always something to do when you're not studying or in class.

Elisabeth

It is great that this university is in my state.It is a few miles away from our house.And it is awesome to have a college in Chicago.I will get amazing off-campus lunch and live in a apartment with a friend.The acceptance rate for this is 72%.It had a lot of students there.

Jacqueline

Academics are fairly good, the campus food isn't that great. At walking distance, the shops are relatively far, it takes around 10-15 minutes. I don't live on campus, so I can't comment on that. Class sizes are average and class participation and group projects are common. Between class times, there will be times the elevators and halls will be crowded with students so usually I use the stairs to avoid waiting and being in the elevator awkwardly looking at one another in a jam-packed elevator. Also, class registering is a bit frustrating, therefore make sure you enroll before you get stuck on the waitlist. I recommend scheduling an appointment for the campus services/facilities so that whomever you're contacting is ready to assist you without having to wait. Be sure that they have the program you're looking for and be on the lookout for certain concentrations application deadlines. The only time I ate the campus food was during the DePaul orientation and let's say that I won't eat there again, there are a few passable snacks.

Monika

Great school with great opportunities if you get involved and use the city to your advantage, make connections with people in the city so you could get a head start in your career. Also, take advantage of the awesome facilities, such as the library and fitness center!

Sam

Overall, I am very happy with my decision to attend this university. Despite the relatively high costs, I feel the value of the education and experiences I have had are worth every penny. I enjoy the recreational and professional opportunities that come with going to college in a city like Chicago, which is hard to find at other schools. I would recommend DePaul to any student who wants to attend a school in a more untraditional setting. Being a college student at DePaul gives you an opportunity to explore yourself in your interests beyond the college setting and campus.

Jenna

Good academically. No team spirit which really sucks, not much pride to be found. Very persecuting of Christian and conservative views. They really do little to identify as a Catholic university. If you want a school to come study and super individual, DePaul is good, otherwise, not too much

Tyler

Of all the colleges and universities that I was accepted to, DePaul University has always been my personal choice to continue my educational journey. The staff and campus creates a welcoming, familiar atmosphere that makes me comfortable in the otherwise dangerous streets of Chicago. This is truly the new home for me.

A good school where you can get a valuable education if you dedicate yourself. It's a Catholic university, but everyone is welcome. Religion isn't forced on you at all. It's the least Catholic, Catholic school. Being able to live and study in Chicago is an amazing benefit. Pro tip: Choose University Hall for dorming if you're a freshman.

Fuyu

overall I will describe DePaul as a good school for students to live, study and play. The environment is comfortable, it gives students the opportunity to fully engage in the city/ Chicago. DePaul has provided numerous opportunities for students' future career.

Harleigh

Great University. Quality Education. People were a bit negative, always protesting, there was an "anti" vibe. I had a terrible advisor, she advised me to take classes that I didn't actually need to take so I ended up paying extra money and staying an extra quarter.

Sade

DePaul is a great institution with so many opportunities in clubs and academics. They want nothing more than to see you succeed there. The staff and students are very genuine and friendly. Accessing help in my courses has never been a problem for me and neither has meeting new people on campus or in my classes.

Isabel

overall the school its pretty great being on the quarter system isn't hard most people say it's much harder. But each class is only ten weeks so if you don't like the professor or class you only have a short amount of time with them. The buildings, gym, and supplies they provide for you is great. Only downside the foods not very good or healthy. The dorms are really expensive so just live off campus.

Allison

I have visited Depaul University twice and I was impressed even more the second time than I was the first! I am not a student as of now, but I will be attending in the fall! Depaul's campus is beautiful and everyone there (staff, students, and professors) are all friendly and welcoming! Depaul offers many opportunities for internships and study abroad that can help students find their dream jobs! I can't wait to attend here!

Daniela

I love DePaul. There is a niche and a group to join for everyone! DePaul has helped me grow and learn a lot about myself and the world around me. It has made me more politically and culturally aware. At DePaul, there is a space for me to be myself, to indulge in my interests, and to meet people who are doing the same.

Karolina

Even though I will be just starting in the fall of 2018, I have loved this school ever since I learned about it as a freshman/sophomore. Then when I went to visit, I was so determined to get it and I was super excited when I received my acceptance letter. During the visit, I saw how amazing the housing was at the school. I also saw the classes and saw how the class sizes were the right student to teacher ratio.

DePaul is a great school with the best resources for success. The class sizes are small but they offer the ability to get more help and less chance for failure. Though the school has a larger emphasis on liberal arts such as the theater schools and the music schools. But the location is incredible and the best energy.

Miko

DePaul university SUCKS!!! The security does not look out for the students and are racists! I've had to many negative interactions with racial profiling with campus security. Being a minority is a bad thing on the Depaul campus grounds. Watch out for the racist sefurity!

Jeffrey

DePaul was #1 choice, so I was very happy when I was able to get in! DePaul is one of the topic ranked private business schools in Illinois, and it's known across the United States. The only downfall of this, is it does come with a fairly hefty price tag. In most cases that would turn me away, but the more research I did, I realized that DePaul really wasn't ridiculously expensive, it was right around what most public state schools are charging, with a premium for being private. I would absolutely recommend this university for upcoming students, I believe I've had an effective education here and I will be competitive in the market place when I begin my career search.

Jeannette

I love it here, but the price tag is hard to handle. also there is not enough on campus or even near campus housing for students which can make affording school difficult. There is not a huge greek life but there are plenty of other things to get involved in. The city is your campus.

I love DePaul and I appreciate how open all of the teachers are. Anytime I have a question they are also always there to help.It's also nice going to a liberal school and relating to people that have the same views,and appreciation for restorative justice as much as I do. I also appreciate the activities that DePaul has such as FEST!!

Alyssa

DePaul University is a great choice for anyone who wants opportunities without having to spend a fortune on the “big name” colleges. They give out many scholarships every year to help students stay in school without a million loans. Class sizes are usually small, and most professors are very receptive and understanding to students personal lives. It is a politically active school that prides itself in equality for all. At DePaul, you will feel like you belong.

Alexis

Overall, DePaul has been an amazing experience. I love the community aspect and the awesome curriculum. The events and activities that are offered really make sure that all the students have somewhere were they can truly fit in. In general, communication among students is always kind and this University is where I can call home for three years so far!

Horrific school, rip-off, better to go to community college than waste your life in this un-intelligent school. Terrible, horrible, no good dumb academics. High school had better academics. Spent 100k+ to rot in this horrible academic enviroment. No intellectual disscusions, free speech oppressed more than any other school. Learned nothing but how to get high loans and suffer.

Marina

DePaul university is a friendly place where students can be themselves. The classes truly prepare you for your career goals and they even made it a requirement to become an intern. Majority of interns get paid anywhere between $14-$16 an hour. Overall DePaul is somewhere I see myself going and getting a great education!

Matthew

DePaul University is aimed to make sure everyone is doing their best to achieve their future. While there are some negatives to DePaul, I feel that the positives out weight them. Housing, and security are a great thing at DePaul. They make sure you are safe while traveling throughout campus, and because we are located in a larger city, they pride themselves to that. Now, while those are a couple of positive things the food could be so much better. I am paying a lot for school provided meals, and most of the time they truly suck. There needs to be a variety, and I found that it is cheaper and better for me to buy my own meals. Faculty strongly believe in academics and they truly try their best to make sure students are succeeding. For me I have easy access to all my teachers and the right support staff. While that is great, I just wish they lowered the cost of tuition. I am fighting tooth and nail to pay for a good education and I believe that DePaul should help out and lower the cost of tuition or knock off smaller fees. Now, there are opportunities to make some money of campus but the hours aren’t the best. I think that they should start looking at raising wages or providing more hours because at this rate I will be in debt for years to come. They need to remember that we are students fighting for our education, and it sucks to think about the amount of financial stress that comes with it.

Alondra

I really find the resources offered at DePaul University helpful in my academics, such as the Writing Center, SI, and Learning Commons. The faculty do care about your performance and are always available to help most of the time. In addition, there are also services that help first-generation low-income students like TRIO SSS. There are a wide variety of student organizations and multiple opportunities to get involved in the community and in leadership roles. I am not a huge fan of the food prices and the lack of choices. I am very happy that DePaul now has available gathering spaces for multicultural students. DePaul does have accessible computers and printers, there are at least one computer labs in each building. The library staff are great at helping students in research and finding textbooks for class.

Jonathan

Great involvement with the city, great academics and professors. Lacking some campus involvement though. Extracurriculars are weak. There is often nothing to do around campus. Does not feel like a large school even though it is by student population. Excellent classroom environment and feels very safe even with it being in the middle of chicago.

Riley

I would say over all it's a pretty decent experience. Of course, I would change some things, but you get what you pay for. They offer good scholarships, the classes are interesting, and the professors are very good and approachable. Class sizes are pretty small which is nice, and it seems that most people there, care about being there. The information is very focused, although the quarter system can be a bit quick. It's nice overall though because you can take more classes, than your normal university, and gain a lot more knowledge.

Danielle

The school is stunning. Even though its spaced out into two campuses they are close. Being in the city, everything is near by. The school has good facility members that always work hard to account for our needs. There are so many opportunities to make friends, join clubs, and get involved.

Claudia

Even though I am a first year student, DePaul has become my new home and has opened me to amazing opportunities. I would never transfer. I have involved myself in multiple activities that have made me feel like a true part of the Vincentian community. Also, the teachers are amazing and always available.

Shane

DePaul University is a great college to attend. You get the best of both worlds with part of the campus being located right in the middle of downtown and the other part being in Lincoln Park, a neighborhood just north of the city. There are lots of events going on in the city year round so there is always something to keep you busy. The students are incredibly nice and friendly, always willing to help if you need it. The professors keep regular office hours and openly offer help if you need it. They offer great study abroad opportunities and lots of students come from all over the world to study at DePaul.

Halle

As a college freshman, I have found DePaul University extremely welcoming and has been an exciting place to learn so far. The academics and professors I have encountered so far have been very helpful and make classes fun and interesting. Housing has also been very enjoyable, the only downside so far has been poor quality food in the dining hall.

Gisselle

It is an amazing school, especially if you are interested in the business field. College is all about growing up to be independent and feeling like an adult. And in DePaul, you will feel that when going to and from your classes in the Loop and a Lincoln Park campuses. You are right in downtown Chicago where it is full of businesses waiting to have interns explore their career. This is where you build yourself, your career, and your life.

Paris

DePaul University is a school that has a very set and defined set of values that they strongly encourage all of their students, staff, faculty, and administration to follow. The school offers a wide variety of courses and major selections. They have excellent academic programs, and a majority of the professors are renowned in the field they teach. Students are learning from professors who have first-hand, hands-on experience in their field of expertise, and in my opinion are the best people to learn from. Student life is also a vital part of Depaul University. There is an array of different student organizations, sports, club sports, fraternities, sororities, and clubs to join. These help to get students more involved in the social scene, and to forge new connections and friendships whether they be personal, professional, or their way of networking for their potential career-field and major of choice. The atmosphere is very welcoming, kind, and understanding amongst not only the students, but the administration, professors, staff, and faculty. It is a nurturing and educational environment, and no one wants to see anyone fail, but rather provide as much aid as they can in ensuring success for students. There’s a wonderful study-abroad program, and so many internship opportunities. Successfully completing an internship is actually a graduation requirement, so you won’t graduate without having some hands-on experience in your career-field. DePaul University does its best to make sure everyone feels comfortable and that they have a place and a voice at school. They prioritize their students’ wellness and safety, and that one of the most important things a college can do.

Mackenzie

I like DePaul! It has two college campuses which allows you to feel the best of both worlds: inner city campus and closed off campus. However, I do think they need to improve their food options and quality. Overall, DePaul has many great opportunities and acedemics which will help shape any student who goes there into a hardworking and genuine person.

Esther

As an animation major and computer science minor, there are many things to love and hate about it! The food is absolutely disgusting but the workers are extremely nice and polite. In every situation DePaul has, there are obvious good and bad sides. Overall opinion, I would love it even more if the tuition matched the level of the professors; so it needs to be decreased.

Melanie

DePaul is a great university with a great culture. I wouldn’t trade in my experience here at all. Te Vincentian way focuses of a lot of community service and giving back to communities. We are encouraged to go out into the city and be great leaders. Very staff member I have met has been willing to go above and beyond for their student providing us with resources and guidance to achieve our goals. It’s amazing to be of this community!

Maggie

Overall, my opinion of DePaul University is very friendly. The University closely follows the Vincentian values founded by our name's sake. Social justice and community service is a common thread throughout all courses and extra-curriculars. Located in Chicago, I believe it would be problematic if the University was not politically charged. During my time there I participated and witnessed many different protests and awareness campaigns for issues such as divesting from Israel, support for Standing Rock, solidarity with Ferguson, the federal passing of gay marriage, and so many others. Although this aspect of campus life is superb, the academics are a bit lacking. Especially as a Psychology major I believe the courses could have been much more rigorous and thorough. This is my one complaint of the university. Outside actual academics, the campus life is thriving due to its location in the heart of bustling Lincoln Park. Bars, restaurants, street fests, shops and the like are never more than a short jaunt away. My experience at DePaul University was overall very positive.

Marian

I think DePaul is a great school. A few years ago I wouldn’t believe I would be here today because I was in the wrong place. I feel accepted at DePaul and love the community. I’m motivated to do well and the resources make it easy. I would definitely recommend DePaul to anyone graduating high school or wanting to transfer.

Though I'm a new student, I've been thoroughly impressed with the professors and class content so far. Beware, it is challenging, but if you're up for it, your education will be very rewarding. The location is what makes this school so great, though. The Lincoln Park campus is walking distance to plenty of off-campus housing at an affordable price, and there are endless restaurants, cafés, and shops within walking distance. There are also a multitude of public transportation options for those who don't live walking distance to the university.

Kamila

DePaul University was my first choice when applying to schools. I was just an average student in high school, and was terrified of not getting into the school of my dreams. From getting my acceptance letter to starting my Junior year in the fall in the Honors Management Program, I have learned so much about myself where I would not have been able to do anywhere else. There is always a smile on my face when I step foot in the city because I know the city is my campus and I am always excited to learn something new EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Rafa

Diverse??? Seriously. Everyone writing a review saying this must be white. I have MAYBE 3 Latinos in a class of 30 with me, 1-2 African Americans, 2-3 middle eastern and the rest....C A U C A S I A N. I’m sick and tired of paying 40k a year for an average education, DePaul btw is NOT selective they’re just too expensive. I’ve never seen someone get declined, just not able to pay, thus being the only reason they can’t attend. Listen, I’ve been here 2 years, and the name helped me land an internship, but you got me fucked up if you think I’m staying two more years. Not worth it. Work hard and you can make any school an asset to your future. Save your money. Hoping I can transfer out by fall.

Layla

DePaul is a great school to attend in order to discover yourself and the world around you while also preparing you for the future and helping lead to your own success! Both the faculty and fellow students are encouraging and able to help you build a path towards your future in a unique and personalized way. Regardless of your interests, DePaul has plenty of great programs and opportunities to help bring your goals to fruition.

Violeta

It is pricey but has lots of benefits to accompany that. It is a nice neighborhood close to public transportation that can take you anywhere in Chicago. They offer many resources for your academic and post degree plans, but it is up to the students to reach out for these services.

Beth

Do not attend this school. All take and demand and no give. The education staff used intimidation tactics when students expressed voice which is a very bad thing in education educating future teachers. Compliance was authoritatively and manipulatively enforced. Service to students = 0. Be careful. I strongly recommend that you do no attend this university! You will be very sorry. Lots of other and better alternatives.

Tajai

in my opinion, i believ this school has been a decent experience for me, i havent had any major issues with being on campus but i cant speak for the majority of students who walk around the campus and embrace campus life. overrall i find Depaul to a interesting school if you never went to many colleges.

Vanessa

DePaul has providing me with many opportunities for me! I currently working at DePaul Also doing project blue light was an awesome opportunity to work with people in the film industry. I have an amazing relationship with faculty, so DePaul has been home away from home.

K'winece

I think Depaul is a wonderful school. Of course, Depaul has its ups and downs as with any college/university but overall its a really good university. The diversity is great, the teachers are attentive and the students are rockstars. I love it a lot.

There are many amazing professors that truly care for your future, but they are treated so poorly by the university despite the exorbitant tuition you pay as a student that it is exceedingly difficult to not have it taint my view of my time there. Professors should be able to afford to live in the city that they work in and still feed themselves, especially when they have been working full time for the university for decades.

Ruby

My overall opinion of DePaul University has been nothing but the very best. I can personally say that I made the right choice, and that this coming quarter I am very excited to finally start my both majors concentrations. Criminology101 and Psychology105.