DePauw University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for DePauw University

Audrey

DePauw has really great academics and wonderful professors. However, it's in the middle of nowhere, there's not much of a college town atmosphere, and the student body is the size of a highschool. The literal only thing to do on weekends is party at frat houses. Sports are kinda big, everyone is greek, everyone knows each other, and it kind of feels like highschool but you live there. This is a plus to some people, and a negative to others, depending on what kind of college experience you want. I love the quaint atmosphere, the study spaces, the beautiful campus. The McDermond center is really great and there are lots of opportunities to learn soft/business skills important for the real world. Every student gets lots of attention from staff and professors, and you're definitely not just a number. However, it does feel pretty isolated from the outside world here due to location and campus size. We're a huge party school and everyone is kinda rich. I would describe DePauw as a sheltered greek life paradise for middle-class, popular kids who are academically inclined. Overall, the only downside is location and possible lack of majors. It's a liberal arts college. As a CS major, I wish we had an engineering school. Other than that, it's a really nice school with really nice people and you get really good financial aid here.

Kandra

Great school with highly valued people and very strong academics. The class sizes are small and are great to provide a more personalized connection with professors on campus. There are also many opportunities to do things outside of academics and many chances for research, internships, work study, etc.

Alejandro

DePauw overall is an extremely satisfying school to go to. I have made memories I will carry on for the rest of my life, I have made friends that will last me a lifetime. DePauw to me has been nothing short but a movie, and I am thankful I am in a space in which I can have fun but also be on track with my academic success.

Mason

I love the campus, the teachers, and the people here. It gives everyone something to do and a place to feel heard. I have found so many life long friends and other activities that I'm not sure I could have found on other campuses It's truly a place that I can call home.

Mallory

Though the school is located in a small town where there is seldom a place open after 10 o'clock, the town is inviting and secure and DePauw offers a variety of social, academic, and cultural experiences. Many students believe they are threatened and unsafe, but I have personally never had a problem and never noticed a problem, so I would have to disagree and say that I believe the administration does everything they can to provide students with the best education possible. As a part of the music school, I do not often experience things outside of the School of Music, but I enjoy my time in the music school and find that I have grown tremendously as a musician and human.

The overall atmosphere of campus is lighthearted and fun (even during finals week). Academics are taken seriously, but there is an air of helpfulness, and I've never met someone who was unwilling to help others understand class material. As a D3 university, not all students are involved in sports, but many show up at games to support their friends and to have a great time. There's always something going on, whether it be a frat party, concert, guest speaker, or pieing a professor for charity. More recently, there have been very visible issues regarding racism on campus, which the students believe could have been dealt with by the administration in a more adequate and timely manner, but the administration is now working with the students and local police to decrease and hopefully eliminate these threats. The negative effects of these issues are obvious, but I believe there is more awareness among white students who have never experienced this type of racism, which has led to a greater student body willingness to control and decrease what has happened on campus in the past. Overall, I believe DePauw is a great school, filled with wonderful opportunities, great friends, and amazing professors, and offers a great home to those who fall in love with the school. I just think that decisions should be based off of all the facts, and that there should be more research about a school done than just the admissions office information.

Paige

DePauw is a great place, but it is full of a bunch of different kinds of people and we rely on alumni donors to help the school run and the school is having a hard time trying to decide whether to make our alumni happy so we continue to get money or making the students happy and currently they are picking the alumni.

Cate

I've really enjoyed my experience at DePauw. There are certainly flaws within the school, but that's true almost anywhere. For a small school, it has incredibly accessible professors and staff, and students are friendly and very midwestern (in the best way possible). But, there have been issues with diversity for years and the school needs to do more to address these issues. I wouldn't trade my experience at DePauw for the world though, it has been an incredible place for me.

Melanie

I love it. I love the environment because I feel like it's perfect for me and I can fully thrive here to my extreme potential. I just really need scholarships though because it's so expensive.

Sara

DePauw University is a great school with fantastic resources available to its students. Actually, I will be attending DePauw as a freshman this coming fall! I am very excited to become a Tiger and see how this place can change my life - for the better of course!

Olivia

DePauw University is a very unique place. As a freshman, I have been exposed to many different sides of campus culture. I've seen students up late and studying hard for exams and finals. I've also seen students up late at parties, hanging out with friends in the lobbies of the dorms, and staying up to watch the latest shows on Netflix. DePauw University overall promotes a wholesome lifestyle of fun while still keeping a balance on health and academics.

Morgan

DePauw doesn't have much going on outside of the weekly parties. Sport events aren't incredibly popular but they are exciting. Campus is quiet during the week but expect a lot of noise on the weekend. DePauw is a good place to be if you want to be 'away from it all'.

Shelby

Although I have only attended DePauw one year so far, I have truly enjoyed it. I chose DePauw because of the calm and comfort I felt on campus; this feeling has only gotten stronger, to where I consider DePauw University my second home. Despite the aspects of college life that I do not find appealing (Greek life, alcohol, drugs, etc.), I have never felt pressured to do anything I am not willing to do. My professors are genuinely considered with challenging me to become the best I can be, and I feel as though I have actually developed friendships with many of them.

Natalie

Is it weird that I eat ice cream with my professors? Probably. But at DePauw, it's completely normal, and something I have come to love. When you hear students say "I even eat dinner with my professors sometimes!" as you're touring a college as a high school student it's hard to imagine. Not only can I now relate to those student tour guides, but I wish it was something every student experienced! However, I did come to DePauw unsure of my decision, and first-semester I wasn't sure how I felt about the school. After some serious consideration, I decided to give it another chance and second semester I became more involved and I slowly fell in love with the school. The dining hall is unlike any I've seen before (which is important when you spend nearly all your time there, hello freshman 15), the gym is impressive for a small school, and the professors are great. I became heavily involved in the media facilities especially and while, as a small University we don't have the best equipment, I have never experienced professors and advisors who wanted me to excel as much as I wanted to. It makes all the difference when you're not the only one telling yourself that you can do something. On top of that, the alumni of the school are wonderful. I have FaceTimed and met more alumni in the past few months than I thought possible. Of course, that's not to say the school is perfect. The drinking culture is very evident, and the town isn't exactly a college town. Due to Greencastle, Indiana lacking entertainment for students, most of them turn to partying as their source for having fun. I would encourage DePauw to change the way they try and "fix" their drinking culture. Instead of replacing hard liquor with kegs, they need to offer transportation to Indianapolis, or host events on the weekends. Coming from a suburb outside of Chicago, I always wanted to leave the Midwest. I was dead set on California for college, but at the last minute I decided on DePauw, and I'm happy I did.

Cecilia

DePauw is a good place to be. If you aren't interested in greek life, it might be hard to find a group you fit in with. Since Hoover Hall opened, the food has gotten better, but it can be repetitive. Academics are great, I'm in two honors programs. Some professors are better than others, just like any other university. Lots of renovations going on so the campus should look fantastic by 2020!

Carolyn

DePauw is much more than a school, it is an experience, a family. Since the school is small, the friends you make at DePauw aren't simply just friends, they are brothers and sisters. The memories that are created here are truly timeless, as each class that passes through has learned something new from the year above them. DePauw fosters a culture of growth, not only intellectual but personal. Whether most of the lessons learned be through the classroom or your friends, DePauw teaches people how to be a good critical thinker, and ask the right questions, DePauw gives students an array of opportunities and chances to succeed in every facet of life. It is a school that genuinely cares for it's students.

Vivica

DePauw University is full of very conservative and opinionated people in which I was not aware of until I attended. However, the education and academic support are excellent, and the students are determined to achieve nothing but success.

lol

currently enrolled in DePauw and am in my second year. I can safely say that the students in my university are annoying and loud. Most of the students stay up every night to drink and smoke, disturbing the few that truly go to university to learn. The batch of students who applied this year are extremely rude and lack respect for other people. I would not recommend anyone to enrol in DePauw due to the horrible learning environment and lazy lecturers.

Missy

I was very impressed with the acedemics. The overall student teacher ratio. And the beauty of the campus.

DePauw University is an University that makes you feel at home while competing in a very rigorous academic scene. The classes vary in so many different kinds of topics and lectures. You are able to get one on one time with professors and learn more about others around you. The social and academic life on campus are very important to not only me, but all of my other peers. Overall, DePauw is a great school for anyone wanting to broaden their horizons.

Molly

The campus has an amazing atmosphere! The students and faculty are very friendly and helpful. Other college professors and students have a "fake" persona and attitude. While at DePauw, there has not been a single person I've encountered that has been like that. All members at DePauw are truly kind and authentic.

Thanks DePauw for helping me find what I’m passionate about and introducing me to friends who have exposed me to what they’re passionate about. I had peers and professors supporting me along the way and encouraging me to pursue my interests. I had never felt so in touch with myself yet so connected to others before being on campus. DePauw provided a well-rounded experience that, I feel, only a small private liberal arts school can give.

Autum

DePauw University is an amazing place full of opportunities that are not available at other colleges! There are so many study abroad and extracurricular activities present to students, also there are so many unique classes available each semester!

Skylar

I loved visiting campus and learning all about what they can offer to future students. They were extremely friendly and answered all of my questions leaving me feeling very satisfied with my visit. Students that we passed while on our tour always smiled at us and a few were even interested in knowing more about me. This made me feel very at home during my visit and I hope to take another tour very soon.

Noel

DePauw is a great school. Although times may be tough right now we are looking for opportunities to correct things and continue moving forward to provide for all students entering our institution.

Mia

DePauw has wonderful academics. Due to the small class sizes, professors are able to meet regularly with students during their office hours and everyone knows each other by name. The professors also understand when people miss a class or two due to having a sporting event, or because they are sick. Additionally, the professors want every student who puts in effort to succeed so they work with the class and with one's schedule to provide study reviews/sessions.

Paul

Amazing place! I absolutely love the professors here. They are all so involved and willing to help inside and outside the classroom. They student body is also great. There are enough people to find your group of really solid friends but also few enough people to make it seem like you know everyone. Campus housing could use a little work though.

Tahj

Given my time at DePauw, my experiences have been up and down. Of course, there are challenges all students may face, but being at DePauw, I feel as if the challenges are catered to our area, Greencastle Indiana. DePauw is considered "in the middle of nowhere". Oddly enough, I like and appreciate the seclusion.