DeVry University-Illinois

« See more reviews of DeVry University-Illinois

As a previous high school student I would stress the importance in furthering my education. I would start with researching all the colleges I was interested in attending to help decide if I want to attend a college campus or attend classes online. I will need to make sure I have a goal in mind and whether I am interested in earning a Associate, Bachelors, Master or Doctrine degree and make sure I take that information into consideration when deciding what college will help me achieve my goal. I would also discuss the importance of cost, grants and scholarships as to who will be paying for the furthering of my education or will it is necessary to hold down a part or full time job to make my financial obligations. The transition from high school student to college student is an important one as we must now pay for our education it is imperative that we research and develop a plan to ensure that I complete my degree in a timely manner and in a field I will enjoy and be just as equally financially rewarding.

When I was taking my courses for my bachelor’s degree I enjoyed the experience. I feel like I learned something in each of my courses, my teachers were professionals and knew the material which made it easy for me to succeed in my courses. DeVry University was exactly what I needed. I needed a school where I could take my classes according to my work schedule and I loved that most of the students in my night classes where older than me and therefore had more experience that I could learn from. I also liked the fact that there weren’t any parties, athletic events, or the need for me to take PE classes and such that were not a part of program of study. Now I am working on my Master’s degree, I am single mother and it’s harder for me to go to school since again I don’t qualify for financial aid. I want to finish my degree because it will help my future and my daughter’s future. Also because I will be a role model for my daughter and when she grows up she will understand the importance of a college education.

What I have gotten from my college experience is that academics and doing your best is important. The better your grades, the better future you have, and the better job you will get. Social life is important as well because I can't study 24/7. I need breaks. Having fun and laughing makes me happier, enjoy life, and helps me focus on my studies. Studying all the time can get me down and a little distraction is alright. I have also learned more about myself, such as, who I am, my communication styles, and what I need to work on to improve myself. The more I improve on myself, the better person I will become. I have also learned that I need to be assertive since I tend to be way too passive and have people walk all over me. I've been improving on this. I also got out of my shy shell a little bit and made a few friends. College is definitely an amazing experience where you learn not just about academics, but also about yourself. I recommend going to college to everyone for a better and brighter future.

That is actually a good question. If I could go back, I would tell my High School self, to stop playing around when it comes to education, to stop wasting time and also to stop being a procrastinator. I would tell my high school self, that life is not a game, and that getting an education should be the number 1 priority and that everything else comes after.I would tell myself to do my research before deciding on a major and to work really hard for it. I'd tell myself not to take out more loans than I need and to also apply for as many scholarship that i can. I would also tell myself that it was time to grow up and live the high school life behind , because the college we pick to the last classes we pick will make a big impact in our future and that we need to choose wisely. I would also tell myself that "knowledge talk, and wisdom listen" and that nothing in life comes easy, and that education was the door to the sky and that dedications ,motivations ,patience were the keys ,so let's open that door.

My senior year I commuted between two schools, so I never got to experience any senior assemblies or partake in the senior pride experiences my friends did. In terms of things I should’ve done as a senior I would’ve liked to have more confidence in my abilities. I wanted to take more arts classes. I wish I would’ve taken more honors classes. If I joined a varsity sport I could’ve been more sociable. I wish I could’ve spent two extra hours with my sister and all the people I grew up with while in school. I don’t regret any of the decisions I’ve made, but I regret taking the people that surrounded me for granted and assuming they’d always be next to me. Graduation was bitter sweet; it was filled with many heart ridden goodbyes. Now, they’re so many possibilities that the world is frightening. Thus, I would tell myself with everything that I’ve learned now, to be strong and never quit regardless of the obstacles in my way. Don’t be the person that delays their priorities and ruins their own future.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, the first thing that I would tell myself would be to stay focused and keep my eyes on the bigger picture. I would tell myself not to allow my new found freedom to distract me from my ultimate goal. While college should definitely be an enjoyable time, there are many years left of your life after college to party, date and have children. I would tell myself that making small sacraficing will make things so much easier down the road. That way I wouldn't be a 28 year old single mom with a huge amount of student loan debt, no financial aid and still trying to finish school. I would tell myself to make a plan and stick to it. I would tell myself to hang out with people that are going to keep you motivated and on your game when you're falling off. I would also tell myself to remember all the sacrafices your mom and grandma made to get you to college. Don't let them down, make them proud and make all of their sacrafice worth it.

I finally realized what I wanted to study and now that I have I want to finish. Devry offers me that opportunity, as well as good teachers, and work that is related to the material if annoyingly time consuming sometimes. I am returning to school to finish my bachelor's degree as a single mother of a 3yr old and a 1yr old. My goal is to learn as much as I can and get as high of grades as I can while trying to finish as soon as possible. I have found that going back to school a little bit older has made me value that education more. And at Devry I don't feel out of place because there are freshman straight from high school as well as older students like myself returning to either get their degree, or change their field. The small class size works to my advantage, and the small campus allows me to spend only the time I need on campus. The 8 week classes are a challenge but at the same time I can take 2 classes in a semester, that are related and understand more because they are so close together.

If I could go back in time to when I was a high school senior, I would tell myself to study harder and continue my education immediately after graduation. I had my first son at the age of 18 only 5 months after my high school graduation and continued building my family of 4 children which now I am raising on my own. I don't regret having children, I just regret that I had them before finishing my education and now it's a constant struggle. It is a struggle to work full time, take care of a house hold full time and go to school full time. If I would have known life struggles without a higher education then, I would have definitely continued my education and worried about having a family later. It is very hard work now, but I know that at the end of it all it will pay off. My children are also learning the importance of education as I make it a point to sit with them and study together. They see my struggle and have openly admitted how they want to excel in school to get scholarships.

Although i have no regrets in my life right now. Given the chance to go back intime and talk to myself as a high school senior would probably make a huge difference and where i am now. I have learned alot in these 28 years of life. Some easy and some hard, I would tell myself to prioritize, set goals and achieve them. I was ignorant my senior year and really did'nt take my education seriouslly. So i never finished school and now 10 years later i am going back. I would also talk to myself and let myself know what can happen if i don't get a degree. The way having a degree can protect you financially. I would tell myself to wait after i graduate from college to have a baby, i don't regret having my daughter but given the chance i would wait. And i would emphazie that to myself over and over . I would love to go back intime and talk to myself, current life expiriences make me think and wonder alot about decisions,talking to myself would help in changing that feeling.

I used to be picked on in school and in trying to be popular let my grades slip significantly. I believe I was ranked 76th out of 128 students in high school. If I could go back, I reassure myself of the hardships that lie ahead and tell myself to buckle down on my studies. Although, I didn't feel that my grades would help me through life once I tried to get into college the reality set in hard. I am now a 36 year old married man that can't find a job and just wants to be the best he can be to provide for his family. I also would express that I have gone from a 2.65 to 3.25 GPA and still rising. If you take time to grow in knowledge , knowledge will eventually reward you whether financially, spiritually, or even through your son/daughters eyes as they look at you earn a great achievement. I would want to show my previous self that nothing more matters than the pride you will get in your heart from that moment when you realize, you're a hero.