DeVry University-Illinois

« See more reviews of DeVry University-Illinois

The advice I would give myself is to stay focused and to believe in myself and my own abilities because no one else can build your confidence and self esteem. I would have gotten even better grades in school and stayed on the academic path to receives scholarship offers. Even though I had excellent grades in school I was not as motivated as I could have been, I would have made sure my high school experience was better so I could be prepared for college and life after. Another important piece of advice I would give to myself is to never be afraid to be afraid to take risks and be yourself because that is one way to get to know yourself. That is a big lesson learned for me, I have had my ups and downs and I would like to go back in time, but what I have been through is all apart of living and growing into the woman I am today. I am now a courageous, strong minded person that can think for me and do what I have to do to succeed in life.

One thing that you have to have when in college is time management skills. If you can't manage your time, college will be very tough and mean a lot of late nights studying. Practicing these skills is very important even when in high school because you need to know what it is like to say, "I can't play right now because I have to study." This can be very hard at times, but you have to be able to say, "No" to the little things that are constantly urging you to forget studying and have fun. I speak from experience: it is more fun to quickly finish studying for the day and then go out to play, than it is to have to study all day because of playing a little game every 15 -20 minutes. You also will do better in school with this mind set, because you can concentrate on the material in the textbook and learn from it for an hour or more at a time with no interruptions better than you can for 15-20 minutes with play in between.

The advice I would give myself is, what do I really, really want to do with myself after school? Do I want to stay home and torture my parents under their roof and vegitate? Or do I want to go into computers and become successful as a computer technologist. I think I want to pursue computers. I do not know anything about computers, and what courses do I need to take to understand computers? Is it to late to get the right classes for computers? Maybe I can talk to a counselor, and they can help me with my decision about what classes I can take to get me started. I think I should also take some summer classes in college, that should help me a little more. Should I also do a fall semester at a junior college? That way I can really know what the computer information system is about, IF that is what I truly want to do. I think that is the way to go. Let me talk to a counselor and get their input on my plans for college.

So far I have felt that I have acheived much more in the last few weeks than I have in years. I have been out of school for 8 years and decided one night that I would enroll and get my degree that I've been waitng for. I have a small child and I really need to set a good example for him and other adults out there who are in between their major life decisions. I haven't even satrted my first class yet but I already feel much more confident in knowing I am capable of accomplishing my goals. The staff at DeVry has made things so easy for me that failure just isn't an option. I am very excited about my upcoming years and I am relieved that taking the next few steps towards my future is within reach now. It becomes very difficult to get back on track once life happens, but being able to set aside enough of it to go back to school is the best decision anyone can make.

Since I had an Associates Degree, I would tell myself to stick it out and obtain my bachelors degree. That there are no quick fixes and if you want to move up into Management, you will need the Bachelors Degree, there is no way around it. You will get to a certain limit and then you will stall. Please stay with and obtain you Bachelors. Waiting will cause missed positions when you see that dream job that you have every other requirement and then the question comes "Do you have your Bachelors" when you click no you will be immediately removed as a candidate. The recuirment process will change and you will no longer have the ability to find a commonality with an HR person who can help get you in the door. It will 95% of the time be computer generated application. You can't get your foot in the door with a yes or no question on a job board.

Stop! Go back and double check everything cause the way to choose to go beyond this point here in life can affect you greatly later on down the road. Don't think to yourself eveything is just a game cause you are still young but open your eyes and look at those people out there working fastfood at 40 depressed and ashamed because the gave up thier first opputunity to succeed so they could party one more night. This is the time where it is up to you, to decide what life has for you past the safe walls of friends and teachers. This is where it all matters, cause 5 years down the road when everyone else is about done your gonna be left back there filling out the application to the nearest Burger King, trying to support your wife and kids just like me. So think is this all I want out of life or is there still time for change now.

College is as much an eye-opener as it is a blinder. You are suddenly an adult and have to manage your own schedule, but at the same time, you are still sheltered from the ?real world? in many ways. Having been to college and then out in the working world, I have returned to college with a far more intense perspective and focus. I understand now how to challenge myself, and how I want to be challenged. I have more insight into how certain classes DO pertain to the career fields I have already worked in. Fresh out of high school, the goal was to get into a good college and complete a degree. Now my goal is to fulfill who I want to be, and really get an education, not just a degree. This perspective has only come from being able to return to college and know more about who I am and what there is to offer in the world.

Iwould tell myself to make friends of other nationalities first and foremost. Depending on where you go to school, you can be affected by culture shock and you may not adjust as well as you can if you interact with other races early on. Plan your day out as effectively as you can. Plan time to study, do homework and also plan time to hang out with friends. Work on your independence by being responsible in every aspect of your life. You are responsible for your self in college. Mom is not goingg to be calling to speak to the professor for you and there are not any parent/teacher conferences. take classes tha twill challeneg your thinking and not only help you to grow asa student, but as a person in genegral and pick a major that not only interests you, but that you can also make money to support yourself in.

"Try harder, and don't let trivial things detour you. Video games and folly may seem like the best option. But seeing things as they are now, watching the after math, I saw just how silly these things were. I gave up on high school, abandoned my good grades and honors classes. For what? I sat at home and did nothing. I gained weight lost friends, went nowhere. ...I fought a battle to get my GED since I had not been in school for years. I found a goal I couldn't make happen - joining the navy. I have to wait til I finish fifteen hours of accreditted college hours to be considered. Please - don't lose sight of your motivation and turn into the person I am now. Go to college and make the right choices from the beginning. The person you are changes and blooms into someone you always wish you could be."

I have met instructors that will leave a life long impact on me. They have taught me a variety ways to complete one task. It's more then just receiving instructions on how to do stuff. They have taught me as if i were one of their employees. This has proven to make me ready for a challenging position in the work force. I have worked on group projects and compled activities that will help me future myself in the long run. I learned some good people skills by working in group settings. Our class sizes are always small, no more then 15 students. This gives me individual attention which gives me the opportunity to understand what i'm being taught and if i dont understand the insgtructor will sit with me and break things down so that i will know what he's teach me when he's done.