DeVry University-Illinois

« See more reviews of DeVry University-Illinois

This college experience has helped me to manage my time better. Online classes require a lot more time because you do not actually have someone there to teach you the materials you actually have to do all of the learning on your own. The discussion threads are a great help though and also it helps a lot to attend the live lectures, which are not required but like I said they really help. I have a child and a full time job and going to classes on certain nights or days is almost impossible so the online program has really been a great benefit for me. It has allowed me to better myself for both me and my family. I hope that I can take what I have gotten from this experience and advance myself in the working world.

The advice I would give myself would be to not be afraid of speaking up and asking the professor any questions or doubts I have because if you're confused or doubtful, it could lead to falling behind in class. I also would tell myself to apply to as many scholarships as I could because college is very expensive and with all other expenses, it can become the cause of stress. I would tell myself that if I decide to work and go to school at the same time, to be prepared for a long, hard, and tiring joy ride to my degree because once you fall behind in one assignment, it will be very hard to keep up. And finally, I would tell myself to never give up hope because the greatest things in life are achieved through hard work.

Despite the lack of progress in my life up untill this point, taking time off of school was the best decision of my life. In the time it took me to complete high school, I realized why my parents stressed education so much. The real world is a hostile and competative place. If I had not taken time off, I would not have the motivation that I have now. And i would have ended up wasting my time and money on something that I never took seriously untill now. So if i could go back in time, I would tell myself to take the time off and mature a bit, before searching for a higher education... And to invest in AIG after they declaire bankruptsy, but before their bailout. :D

Knowing what I know now, I would advise my younger self to not give up when the studying feels burdensome. I went to college immediately following high school, when my study habits were not well-formed. At that time, though I was striving to be well-rounded in my college experience, I placed friendships and extracurriculars at an elevated priority, to the detriment of my schoolwork. To my younger counterpart, my imparted wisdom is to prioritize your time, to take care of the first things first (schoolwork), and to remind myself that the hours of "burdensome" studying will pay dividends to my future long after sleepiness and fatigue have faded from memory.

I would have told myself to wait. Don't go to college until you are ready. Just because other people are going to college after high school doesn't mean you are ready. Because if you drop out of school you will not have the life you want. If you keeping going in and out of school you will have a debt with student loans and not the could job to pay for the loans. Save your money and work hard , then when you are ready you will know. School is very important and education is the most important. So, when you get older you will have a profession that you love and will be happy with your decision.

I would definitely tell myself to make sure and pick out exactly what I really want to have a job in. I would also let myself know that money will become a big issue and that finding at decent part-time job is a must. I would also make sure to tell myself to fill out more scholarships and try and search for as much advice from professionals as possible. I would also let myself know that I should really put some emphasis on how I set up my schedule as things will get hectic soon. Lastly, I would tell myself to continue to study hard and do not slow down at all. Keep at it and I will finish sooner.

The best advice I would have is to set your goals for the future and go for them; do not just have them be goals that you set aside, but come up with an action plan to accomplish them. College is not a game and getting through with good grades is vital. If you have an action plan you will be more prepared for the things that college life will throw at you. Be sure that you plan includes how you will pay for school too so you don't have the stress of wondering how you will pay for it all. With you goals set and plan in mind reach for the stars and don't stop till you reach your goal!!

I would tell my high school senior self that I would have the time to complete anything I want do, so don't rush life. Since my 2008 graduation, I rushed my life, changing my mind, major and school multiple times. I would let my teen self know that taking all those AP classes was serious and I should use them to my advantage. Also, I would let myself know that college is easier and fun only when you are happy and not stressing. Boys, parties, and hanging out doesn't guantee you anything. I would mostly advise that others can't live your life, so don't let them choose your path.

First and foremost I would have convinced myself to not give up, to stick my last year in highschool through regardless of the hardship I was going through. I would say continue to work hard and strive to your fullest potential to reach your maximum level in school because in the end its your life and you have to take control of it nobody can make it work better than you. I would tell my self to push harder even when you think you cant. J ust when you think you have studied enough study more, pay attention to your teachers and obtain as much knowledge as possible.

If I could go back I would tell myself to do more outside of school activities to increase my experience in the culinary field, also I would say to do more work with community, since starting college I have been looking into programs that help homeless youth in the area, meeting with those people have made me feel like a I should do all I can to teach them and it makes me feel like I have accomplished something more in my life. One more thing I would tell myself is to study more because in college the work is twice as hard or more and three times more long.