DeVry University-Nevada

« See more reviews of DeVry University-Nevada

If I could go back in time to when I was a senior in high school, I would put a lot more thought and attention into selecting a major.I stumbled into the degree I am going fornow, Health Information Technology, but I would have rather went to medical school, and ultimatly have become a nurse practitioner, or even a doctor. I didn;t really recorgnize how quickly my high school years would pass, and I regret not pursuing what I am really compassionate about, medicine, and helping people. Now knowing how the lack of general doctors, and inability to contorl physician distribution and the effects on the minority's, I would have became an internal medicine physician and maybe even specialized in pediatirs, and jeriatrics. Though I already have a child, and a husband, if my degree I ampursuing now doesn't suit me or satisfy me, I want to join the military, and go to medical school. The transition from high school, which is manditory,to college, which is optional, I would have taken advantage of the opporunity to already have joind the military immediatly out of high school, and ultimatly do what I deep downhope to do.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I will discuss the financial barriers that will occur. The cost of tuition, classes, books etc. are very costly. Something that I have never taken into consideration as a high school senior due to me being young and ignorant. The conversation of saving money and placing it into a savings account to accrued interest for my future education will be the main topic of discussion. I will discuss the possibility of a job or even obtaining "free money" like collecting of cans, recycling newspapers, cardboard anything to put towards college. I believe that if I would have put forth the effort to recycle everyday I will have put a dent in my student loan. The discussion of passing a class the first time around is A LOT cheaper then repeating a class for the second time. College is expensive! I should not have wasted time repeating courses when I could have knuckled down the first time and passed. I will admit, I have taken everything for granted. I never considered putting money towards my education until I reached my last year of college.

Surprisingly, I often reflect on my past; analyzing the choices I've made which have affected my life today and my opportunities for tomorrow. I was halfway through my first year of college when I came to the realization that I did not belong in the medical field, but rather in an art program, my original choice. I feel as though, with a struggling economy, students are taught to go "where the money is", regardless of their actual interests. If I could go back in time and talk to my high school senior self as well as all high school seniors, I would encourage them to, 1) do what they love; 2) never second guess themselves; and 3) don’t be afraid to plan ahead. If I could go back I would urge my former self to use a positive outlook as motivation, as I do today. I like to remind myself frequently that although I have experienced a setback, it was better that it happened sooner rather than later. I am not a person who dwells on the past; instead I prefer to learn from my mistakes and advance from them.

I know we're very different from point A to point B, but you're going to get here one day and see the world the way I do now. Nothing is as difficult as it seems, and you can achieve anything so long as you put in the effort to achieve it. I know you're afraid of college, of the changes that might occur, but trust me when I say they're going to be good for you. Let go of that fear and walk with the confidence that you deserve to learn side-by-side with all the others who learn beside you. There may be times where you feel it's too difficult, but in those times you have to step back and look with a different perspective. If you can't see it completely reach out for help. Teachers are there to teach, to aid you in your journey to success. Don't be afraid to ask for help, to take a risk, to challenge yourself. Thrive in the chaos of confusion, and battle that confusion to reach your goals. There is no greater feeling than overcoming the obstacles that stand between you and success.

I would tell myself to have good time management. Pace is important. Life can be balanced with school. Education is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Stay focused, positive, and determined. Do what you love. You can do it!