Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Diablo Valley College

Miranda

Friendly enough; however, not usually ones to begin conversations.

Friendly enough; however, not usually ones to begin conversations.

Was able to figure out what I wanted to do, even though I didn't realize it at the time.

Do your work!! Spend a little extra time on school work instead of television and social activities. Your friends will be there when you are done, if they are real friends; but school can slip away from you in a second and then you are stuck with one option. To keep your options open to places that you can feel TRULY free, buckle down now that way life is easier in college. I didn't do that, and now I'm struggling. No, I'm not just saying this.

Danae

Dvc is best known for its outstanding transfer program. The teachers at Diablo Valley have pure intetentions of helping you succeed with full preparation for a four year college. The counseling system is also available to help you individually on campus during the week and excells in getting you the materials and knowledge needed for the next step in your education.

Have you ever sat in bed after a long day and contemplated what you did? That's how I feel about high school. If I had the opportunity to give my highschool self a bit of advice, there are a three things I would pinpoint. First is to excel in school, knowledge is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Graduating in the top of your class can provide numerous opportunities for your college experince and recognition for all future endeavors. Second is to be involved and leed your peers at all times. As a graduate embarking on my journey to complete my Girl Scout Gold Award, I have been exposed to how much of a difference it can make in your community when you take action and make your town a better place. I wish I had showed this trait through all of highschool rather than just beginning to grasp it towards the end. Lastly, I would tell myself to stay active. With a healthy lifestyle everything else you aspire to do will fall into place. If Freshman13 year old Danae Daviess knew these things, she would be excelling even faster than she is now. Reach for the stars.

The only downside to DVC is the impacted classes.

Suzel

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stay focued because it will all work out in the end and have a rewarding pay off. As a student, there is nothing more wonderful to hear than the words, "you have been accepted" from a 4-year university when you thought you would never be able to make it. Success is 99% failure, so don't give up even though your grades tell you your failing. A school grade does not define you in any way, they do not reflect you as a person or show the knowledge you truely know. Tomorrow is always a new opportunity to start all over again. And always remember: "When God sees you doing your part, developing what He has given you, the He will do His part and open doors that no man can shut".

I do that when students group together to complain about a teacher, the school should listen. They should take into concideration what the students say about teachers because they are the ones who have to deal with the teacher for the remaining time of the class.

I do tell people that DVC is one of the best community colleges around the east bay and offers various courses but that is about it.

Avangeline-Marie

The campus is so pretty. Every day, it seems as if the Sun's attendance is enough for people to smile. There are trees everywhere and so many places to sit and just admire it all. Diablo Valley seems to be in the middle of everything as well, in terms of location. There are many places to visit within walking distance, it comforts the student that has yet to obtain a car to drive.

I look at the me in blue; graduation cap, with the tassle hanging in front of the left of my face, Senior Exhibition Meritorious Medal hanging on top of my gold chord. Touching the gold chord, I would ask myself how such a flimsy material could represent the unsurmountable sum of tear jerking nights I spent in front of a computer in my room alone, writing papers--always Times New Roman font, double-spaced, name, date, period, and teacher in the right hand corner. Or the elation that couldn't keep me from calling my mom after seeing an A beside every one of my teachers' names, even the AP ones, that bumped my GPA up to a 4.33. My voice would falter, preparing myself for the news that college material wasn't difficult, but the environment I would be thrown in was; A place that I was most confident in, would become one of a blunted impact. Streaming ideas, math equations, concepts, would not greet me in such a way that they used to. "For the first time in your life, Avangeline, you won't have other people to inspire you. You'll have to inspire yourself."

Coming into college, I was ready to work. I was looking forward to being challenged, to learning new things, to becoming a better student, as well as a more metacognitive individual. What I was not prepared for was an environment that weighed so heavily on the self; here, where everyone is so focused on getting in and out, where teachers give out materials and tests without much else, the student is left to inspire herself.

Danea

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would highly advise myself to focus more on studies than be so tied up in the drama of high school. I would tell myself that I deserve more in life than flipping burgers just to barely survive. Other advice I would give myself is to absorb the teachings and knowledge of those who push us to become more than just a high school graduate. I would advise myself to pour myself into scholarship applications in order to financially continue my education. I would tell myself to focus on the more important things that would help me survive in a world of high demand for educated people in order to have a decent paying job. I would tell myself that I could accomplish more in life with the right education. I am a fighter and I am stronger than all the things that would keep me from continuing my education. I will be able to say, "I did it!"

Shaterica

In most of my classes the students were very friendly and welcoming.

In most of my classes the students were very friendly and welcoming.

If I could go back to senior year and give myself advice, one thing I would advise myself to do would be to look at the bogger picture. It is easy for me to live in the here and now and not always look ahead on what could come as well as where I want to be. Going through my senior year, I lived just trying to get thinfs done and get out. I didn't think much about what I wanted to do with my life, didn't have many goals in terms of where I wanted to be in the 5-7 years to come. I based a lot of my decsisons on what others wanted for me rather than spending time thinking, exploring and figuring out what I wanted for my own life. If i could go back I would advise myself to spend more time thinking through my life and not be in sure a hurry to get to the next stage with out having a plan or goals that I was striving to attain.

I wish I would have known to take al my basic general education class dont in the first year before starting classes specific to what I wanted to major in. I spend an extra year at Diablo Valley College becuase I failed to knock the basics in the first two years. I wish i would have also known that study group are major key to success. I spent much time studying alone rather than with other students which would have helped me learn the materials better as well as do better in my classes.

Patricia

Diablo Valley college is a school where you take your first step into the future, this school provides many doors for you to explore as well as many friends. This school not only gives you an opportunity to succeed in your own personal goals, it also helps you to become a better person. Not only do the students who attend Diablo Valley College are inspired to learn the teachers at Diablo Valley College are very helpful and want to see you succeed from having tutoring centers and teacher office hours if you need one on one help.

What is unique about my school is that it is well diverse and well rounded. Everyone is welcomed at this school and no one is singled out. No matter, what your ethnic background is. This school provides many opportunities for you to succeed; unlike most schools ,Diablo Valley College helps each student reach their own personal goal from becoming a chief or even a dental hygienist. Diablo Valley College opens the door to different possibilities.

College is an important stepping stone to life, it helps you grow as a person; mentally and physically as well, from long nights studying for an upcoming exam to joining the tennis team at Diablo Valley. I find it very important to attend college because it shapes you to become a better person; it helps mold you into the real world. For example, you don’t know what hard work is until you take a challenging class, it helps you manage your time. You also learn to become more social by meeting your classmates to set up study sessions; this helps you with your social skills, very important in the real world. College helps us get ready for the real work world, and it also opens doors to many possibilities when i first attended Diablo Valley i didn’t know what to do, after exploring many.. many.. majors, i finally found one that fit my personality the best. Without college i would've opened my eyes to my passion. So i encourage everyone to go college to explore and open your eyes to different possibilities that life has to offer.

So far, I have gotten quality education and a lot of attention from my college experience. The staff and faculty are always ready to help me out with whatever I need. It's really wonderful to feel so supported by your college.

I wish I had a more comprehensive list of the shool clubs. It's really hard to find them, and even then we don't have a lot of clubs. I also wish I had heads up about school events, we're always having them and I like planning ahead.

I really love my school, so it's hard to find something I don't like. I guess the worst thing is that there are large crowds that develop during school events.

Jason

One piece of advice I would give you would be to learn about the college campus before the semester starts. For example, before your first day of school make sure you know how to get to all of your classes. Another example would be to visit the student union and library to learn how you can make the most out of those facilities. I would also advise you to admit when you need help. You are only hurting yourself when you spend hours doing the same homework assignment and refuse to ask your instructor or a tutor to help you. Another piece of advice would be to find motivation to succeed in all of your classes. For example, if you take algebra and do poorly, do not try to make yourself feel better by saying that algebra is not important and you will never need to know it. You need to realize that all classes in college have one important lesson in common, how to learn. Also, go to class prepared. Read your textbook before you go to class, that way when your instructor is lecturing, the material will sound familiar and you will likely learn it easier.

If you want to go to college but you don't know what you want to major in, Diablo Valley College is perfect for you. The college has a wide range of departments everything from Alternative Energy to Hotel & Restaurant Management. If you struggled in subjects such as math or science at your previous school, Diablo Valley College has free tutors that can help you. From personal experience, I strongly recommend if you are intimidated by a University let Diablo Valley College help you develop the academic skills you will need to succeed at the University level.

If you want to go to a small liberal arts college, Diablo Valley College is not for you. At Diablo Valley College there are more than 20,000 students. If you want to go to a large University with athletic competition on national television, I would not recommend Diablo Valley College since it is a community college. If you have confidence in yourself that you can get into a Ivy League college, you are likely to find Diablo Valley College too easy. If you want to spend four years in a greek house, sorry, they don't exist on DVC.

Suzy

My classmates were there to learn which made it easier for me because, in some courses we had study sessions outside the class and during class engaging and intelligent questions were asked- It felt like college not an extension of high school.

College is the time to explore. Forget the family pressure loaded on you or that you load on yourself. If you don't know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life, guess what? It's okay, really. The average college student changes their major three or four times. College is fun. For the most part, you don't have to take classes that don't interest you. This is the time in your life - your life - to explore what facinates you and intrinsicly motivates you to work and learn. College is the time in your life you become a genuine independent being. Embrace it, but be responsible. Take the classes you chose to enroll in seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously. At 27, I'm not where I thought I would be, or where I had planned to be, and I couldn't be happier. Learn to just go with your flow and you will be pleasantly surprised. Growing up can be fun, so let it be fun. My final bit of advice, it doesn't matter if a class fills a requirement - don't stop learning.

I initially attended Cal State Sacramento for a year. I wish I had gone to DVC first because I would have saved a lot of money. It's a great education for a fraction of the price. I can't remember one teacher that wasn't excited about the class material they were teaching. Some science classes are very compacted though, so if your major requires those courses, start trying to get in right away. Carpool in if you can, parking can be frustrating.

Diablo Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.