Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Diablo Valley College

I would tell myself to get ready to spend money. Even though I am attending a community college, I still wasn't expecting books to be so expensive. I would also explain the work load that teachers usually give. Even though you have class for an hour and a half, twice a week usually, the outside work is a lot more than high school. There is more self learning, and if you do want good grades you have to read your textbook. As far as the social life, there isn't much of a difference. It was wierd, however, for me to have retired people in some of my classes. But for the most part, the students still acted like high schoolers. I would just encourage myself to focus on school, and to get the grades I need to be able to transfer to the university of my choice.

I don't think anyone should be rejected from the opportunity to attend a community college. I do, however, think that those who are attending and are college aged should get first dibs on classes. I have noticed that there are older people who get the first pick because they have been attending the college for a few years, but they are just taking the classes for fun. The whole purpose for community colleges is to give college students cheaper education, so they can transfer and not worry about paying for general classes in the universities.

leila

Diablo Valley Community College is contains a wide spread of diversity among its students.

Remembering myself as a high school senior, i was a very dedicated student. I kept my focus close and my goals closere. That characteristic stayed with me to this present day. High School consisted of minimal homework assignments and reading novels that were 100-200 pages. The tests that were given to us hardly had an effect on our grade. We could have easily brought our grade up by any homework assignments or in class essays. College on the other hand is the complete opposite. Majority of the time, college students are not given homework handouts. Instead we are given a syllabus at the beginning of the school year which informs the student on any upcoming exams which would be given based on the specific chapters that are listed. It is up to the student in how well they are able to organzie their study time and to prepare for the exams. In order to pass your class, constant reading and studying is a must. If i had known what the college expectations were during my transition period, i would have read much more to train myself for what was coming.

Anyone looking to seek a better education and future for themselves.

Tenesa

While DVC may not have a thriving party atmosphere being a commuter campus they are many clubs and activities to choose from; students are focused on education but still find time to have fun--being in Pleasant Hill DVC has the unique opportunity of being only a hop, jump and skip away from the mangificient city of San Francisco; one could finish with their classes at DVC at 5:00 p.m. and hop on the BART train and be in San Francisco in time to catch dinner and a movie, classmates study hard but party harder.

Diablo Valley College is located in the San Francisco Bay Area in the state of California . There are three locations, the main campus is located in Pleasant Hill. The second is a satellite campus located in the of the San Ramon Valley, and the third a satellite campus is located near downtown Walnut Creek. The school is known as one of the top community colleges in the State of California. It is known as one of the top tansfer colleges in the state, in terms of transfer to Caliornia four year colleges . DVC transfer students receive a top notch education.

I f I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself: don't ever let someome tell you can't do something or that you aren't good enough. Remember there will always be someone that is going to smarter more qailified, gifted , but you cant let that keep you from trying and ultimately achieving your dreams. You can't fuffill your dreams if you don't go for them. You cant reget not goinng for something if you haven't even made an attempt to achieve what you want. Don't forget somethings aren't what they seem. Stuff in life happems for a reason, so try not to sweat the small stuff. Hindsight is 50/50. Most of al ltry to have fun. Remember the time shortly after graduating from high school and certainly the time during college is suposed to be the best years of your life--don't let those years slip by you.

Judy

Diablo Valley College is right next to a high school so it would be a good community college to go to if someone wants to try teaching. It is also located very close to UC Berkeley so it can give students at Diablo Valley College a chance to learn about UC Berkeley before attending it. The local transportation is also very convenient. The buses come at least every thirty minutes, and the buses are connected to a very good transit system, BART.

When you register for classes, make sure to only register for as many classes as you can handle while leaving room for hanging out with friends and work because you'll want to hang out with friends more often than you'll want to do your homework and there will be times where you'll have to work when you should probably be sleeping in preparation for your classes the next morning. Take a few classes which you wouldn't dream of taking. Don't just take classes which are in your major. There are still many different subjects out there and therefore many different career opportunities. It's not that odd that you haven't decided on what you want to do with your life yet. Many people don't know what careers they want to pursue yet. In fact, there are even some people who are getting their second degrees because they didn't like their current career as much as they thought they would and because they also found out that they are good at a field they discovered while they were at their current career.

Engineering students who wish to attend a University of California college or California State University school should attend this school because it has a very good transfer rate for its transfer students. It is a good school for students of all majors who want to transfer to a 4-year school in California.

Danae

This school is a community college very close to home for me. This school may not have been my first choice, but now that I am actually here and taking classes I am enjoying it. The people here are very different from other schools and universities. The teachers I have encountered so far are much more involved in their classes and with their students; they want to see them suceed. At other schools the classes are so large that the professors don't actually know or have any semblance of a relationship with the students.

One thing that I would say to myself if I could go back in time to my senior year is that I need to take a chance. Take the time to apply for more scholarships and not let myself be completely terrified of the future. My life is very different than I thought it would be, even from just a year ago. Last year I attended University of California, Davis, and I took it for granted. I did alright in school but I didn't apply myself as I could have. I was afraid to put myself out there and take a chance that I treated that opportunity as though I deserved it, and earned it, instead of being a dream that could be taken away so easily. I have now learned that things are not as bad as they seem, and although it may sound naiive, I believe that life will always work out the way it is supposed to. The path you may not choose for yourself may be exactly what you need, and although the school you attend is not your dream or plan, it will nevertheless affect the outcome of your life if you let it.

This school is a good place for anyone; whether they know exactly what they want to do with their future or not. Some people go to the school just because their parents want them to go to some kind of a college, even if just for a while. Others use this school as a path to something more; a way to move onto a 4 year college and a professional degree. I have seen a huge variety of people at this school, and this school makes them all feel in place.

Jose

I have often thought about the things I would change in my life if I could go back with the knowledge I have now. I was not oriented well. My parents spoke very little English, and I was the first to graduate high school. I honestly was discourage by my own father, telling me, "You dream to high." Now that I have made the transition and have grown up, lived and learned, I would tell myself to believe in myself and not let anyone tell me otherwise. I have learned that there are many ways to get financial help and that there are many options available and offered to someone seeking a higher education. It is a help I did not know existed growing up. Asking questions and seeking the right help will always direct the way. As a 33 year old man, I am still pursuing my dream. I have confidence and I know that at any age you can pursue your dreams.

Best thing about Diablo Valley College is the diversity. It is really good to see a mixture of age, race, culture, ethnicity, and religion. We, as students come together as one to better ourselves. We all have the drive to learn and educate ourselves for a better tomorrow. Besides improving our minds in our general study course at the school, we also improve our minds to learn from the diverse people that share the same hopes, goals, and dreams. Diablo Valley College is best know for an outstanding education in an exceptional diverse environment.

I wish I had known Diablo Valley College had the Engineering program it has. I am currently employed full time and the evening classes definitely fit my working schedule. If I had known Diablo Valley offered such great classes in the evening, I would not have miss all those semesters in the past. The college I attended before did not offer a variety of evening classes, causing me to fall back. Even though it is a 45 min drive to my house, it is definitely worth the drive.

Tala

If I could speak with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get together with my peers for study groups whenever I feel like I?m slipping in a class. Especially with my most difficult college classes like Economics, Critical Thinking, and Calculus, I knew the best thing for me would be to work with other students to analyze problems, understand answers, and make great friends. Working with others not only allowed me to gain a lot as far as my classes went, but it also allowed me to learn other people?s stories and begin to take advantage of my own life. I?ve met students who?ve gone through drug addiction, financial woes, dyslexia, and family conflicts; meeting them has brought me to appreciate my life so much more. Considering that I now receive mostly A's on my transcript, I believe I've made a very dramatic turn in college for the best. Nowadays, I couldn't be any prouder to show my parents my report card as opposed to trying to hide them during my senior year of high school, a feeling I owe to my experience with study groups in college.

I find the worst thing about my school is their textbook buyback program which leaves a student receiving less than half of what they paid their books for. I've personally watched myself lose out on hundreds of dollars because our bookstore will declare my book's worth to be less than what I purchased it for, even though it is in perfectly good condition. With tuition increasing, a situation like this is upsetting and unfair for a college student paying my own way through a part-time job.

I normally brag about my GPA which is about a 3.981 and about my extensive extracurricular activities which range from Cross Country to Officer Positions of two clubs on campus, those two clubs being Toastmasters International and Alpha Gamma Sigma Honors Society.

Julie

Diablo Valley College is a junior college with teachers that want to help you succede and move on to a four year college.

In high school, your teachers and parents are constantly checking up on you to ensure that your homework is completed and that you are attending all your classes. This is not the case in college. In college, you are on your own. Unlike public high school, you pay to attend college and it is your money wasted if you choose not to go to class. In college you have much more freedom than high school because you are an adult. Of course, not all college students act like adults. The summer break between graduating high school and the first day your freshmen year of college usually isn't enough time for a student to mature and prepare for their new chapter of life. So, if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself to be a responsible college student by attending all my classes and completing all my work. Students should be grateful for their opportunity to attend college and should take their time to learn and absorb all that they can from their experience.

The most fusterating thing about my school is that budget cuts have eliminated classes and programs, along with counselors. With less counselors it's often hard to obtain needed information.

Natalie

As a high school senior, college seems like a load of stress and competition. But I have learned college is about self-exploration. Don't concern yourself with what you think you should be studying, or with what degree will earn you a high-paying job. Choose classes that pique your interest and challenge yourself in areas you feel are beyond your competence level. Although you will learn tons of new information about the world in college, you will learn even more about yourself. It seems daunting to have so many choices and career paths open to you, but look at this as an opportunity to redefine yourself and your interests. College is not your enemy as an evaluation of your success or lack thereof, but the means for trying new things. College is an unfamiliar and foreign environment; so explore. It's never too late to discover a new path in terms of careers and yourself. Just because you were the shy girl in high school doesn't mean you can't become a leader in college. Grasp every opportunity to challenge and learn more about yourself. Most importantly, remember to have fun.

I wish I had known my career goals before I came to this school so that I could have better prepared myself in my time at my community college. Although I have figured out my career goals now, with a semester left till I transfer, if I had known them before attending my college, I could have become involved in even more activities pertaining to my goals. I also wish I knew to follow my bliss, as taking classes that I enjoyed led to me discovering my career goals. College is about learning what you want to learn.

The most frustrating thing about attending a community college is the reputation community colleges have as schools for slackers or less competent students. I graduated from high school with over a 4.0 GPA, and though I could easily have been accepted into four-year universities, I chose to attend a local community college to save money and better figure out my academic goals. The smaller class options are frustrating also, but spending time at a community college has helped me refine the choices of classes I really want to take when I transfer.

Yvette

My classmates are diverse, enthusiastic, intelligent, unique, leaders, artist, influential advocates and above all their own role models.

Nothing should be taken for granted. Every friend, teacher, class subject or event should be valued. If you make a mistake, don't give up. If you feel like there is no purpose for a higher education, you are wrong. Things go wrong so that we can learn from them and eventually make them right. Always ask questions, even when the answers don't make sense, that same answer might make sense later on. But most of all enjoy the time you spend in school, because it is over just as fast as is begins .

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my school. However, there has been a lot of classes that have been dropped due to budget cuts. Because of budget cuts a lot of students are not left with a lot of options on classes and they need to wait for another semester to finish their desired courses. In my case, the fall semester was one of the worst, because we had a lot of freshmens and with very little classes a lot of students were unable to add. The dollar amount per unit is rising, while the amount of classes are dropping.

Diablo Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.