Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Diablo Valley College

Kira

My school is best described as top quality; quality instructors, quality courses; quality students.

My classmates are diverse; all ages; all ethnicites; all economic backgrounds; all interests and talents.

Dear me as a high school senior, Here?s some advice as you go to college. As soon as you get there, make an appointment with an academic counselor and meet with one before every semester to ensure you?re on the right path. Feel free to add ?fun? classes, but don?t eliminate the general education courses. Get to know your instructors; they are your allies. Speak up in class. By doing so, you will become more comfortable and confident speaking in front of groups, you will learn the material more easily and you will make a favorable impression on your instructors. Be friendly towards your classmates. Knowing your classmates helps you look forward to attending class and provides good study partners. Participate in extracurricular activities. It will help you meet people, make friends and feel a greater connection to your school. Take this once in a lifetime opportunity to add diversity to your life by trying new things and getting outside your comfort zone. Lastly, yet importantly, STAY IN SCHOOL. Once you leave, life has a way of taking you in a different direction making it very difficult to return. Soak up everything you can and have fun!

Kanoa

it seems that the majority of the students seem motivated to move on to a university or just get an associates Degree. Most of the students here are working either part or fulltime jobs while balancing paying bills and classes.

It's really hard to say. Since I have graduated I have; travelled to a few countries, I have spoken in front of hundreds of people, learned a new language, and changed all my goals and dreams around and upside down and back again, I've fallen in love, almost been married, lost a loved one, made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot, but in it all i've kept one constant. I've stayed true to who I am and what I believe. I guess I would say that things will come and go, and that just like seasons, there are seasons of life. But no matter what happens, where you go, and what you do, stay constant and don't lose yourself along the way. The path that i am about to endure may not make sense and will frusterate me a bit, but just to remember that life isn't about the end result its about the process. I would have to tell me that, I would fear telling me my mistakes I wouldn't be where I am today; not perfect but better than i was yesterday, to take life one day at a time.

Kelsey

High school is not the finish line. After three high schools, it is difficult to find the courage to make another set of new friends, the spirit to root for another football team, the motivation to work hard and strive for your best. You graduated middle of your class, without friends, and with that nagging feeling that you could have done better. The good thing is, no matter how untrue it may have felt at the time, you are not defined by your high school career. In fact, it's just the beginning. College is a time of self-discovery. You will meet other people, and join the clubs they tell you about. You will find classes that interest you, and professors who challenge you. You'll try green tea for the first time, and join the group on that weekend ski trip. What starts out as a "filler" class will become your passion, and you'll be surprised to find that you have a knack for learning Russian. In fact, you have a knack for a lot of things. But most importantly, you'll realize the value of hard work, and once again be inspired to reach your goals.

On the day of my high school graduation, I wish someone had reminded me that high school is not the finish line. Not only did I fail to reach my true academic potential, I didn't take part in the experience of it all. Attending Community College first is one of the best decisions I have made. I have acquired better study habits, joined clubs, and most importantly, realized the value of a good education. I was recently accepted as a transfer to my dream school - a place I never could have gone right out of high school.

The list is endless: small houses rather than dorms, politically active students, an Oxford study abroad program, an equestrian team, one of the oldest schools in the United States, elegant architecture, Frederick Douglass once stayed the night at Hillsdale College, accomplished and respected faculty, once-in-a-lifetime guest speakers. . .

Lissette

Diablo Valley College is definitely one of the better community colleges in the West coast because it not only provides a welcoming enviornment but it also has some of the best teachers out there.

My school is best known for their amazing english and journalism departments as well as their newspaper.

I would say that you try to take as many extra curricular activities (school newspaper, sports or art ect..) as you can handle before entering a four year or two year institute. Not only will they help you socially but you'll be surprised what you may learn about yourself in the long run. Another thing I'll advise you on, since you are relatively young I wouldn't panic if you don't know what your major is going to be, just experiment a little maybe take a few classes at a community college see where that takes you.

Maria

Throughout college, I have realized that I wish I would have done a few things different. That thing would be to see a counsler and/or get a mentor. During High School, I had a mentor guiding and helping me to make sure that I was understanding the material. Now, I wish this is what I would have done in college. Even though I was having a hard time during my first years, I never thought of getting a mentor. But if i had to advice myself one thing that I would change is definitely see a counsler during my first year. I spent 3 years doing my general education because I was having a difficult time with some of the material and had to drop classes. This is why I wish I would have had a mentor, because I was having a hard time understading the material. Maybe I would have finished my general education a little bit sooner and moved on to my next educational goal faster. In conclusion, I would advice myself to get a mentor and see a counselor to receive that guidance that I very much needed in order to reach my goals.

What I like the most is that they have many resources for pretty much anything. Financial aid, counsling, work, student services, and those are just to name a few. Anywhere you go to ask for information that are very helpful and knowledgeable. If for some reason they do not know the answer to your question, they know who to send you to in order to get your question answered. I can honestly say that this has happend to me many times and I have always been happy with the outcome.

I wish I would have know a little bit more about the schools that are out there. I was only given information about the schools that are in California. After doing some research on schools that are out of state, I became very interested in them and felt like they might be a better fit for me. Although I am happy with the fit, I also wish I wouls have know a little more about the financial aid process and how helpful everyone is.

Kyle

I don't think I would change anything. After high school I joined the military and I don't think that at the time I would not have do good in college or I would have dropped out. After the military my outlook on education changed.

There is no one that shouldn't attend this school. Any person that whats to attend this school should.

How easy going most of the teachers are. The majority of the teachers are there for the students and will help students out and my grades.

Jonathan

DVC gives a person the opportunity to discover their higher purpose at the most affordable price in the country.

Jonathan, don't be afraid to jump in, get your feet wet and get a college education! Life is not about acquiring material goods or making more money than your fellow neighbor. Money is one of many by-products of discovering your unique gifts, putting those gifts into action and hence serving the greater good of the universe. The best way for you to discover these gifts and make them a part your being is through a higher education. You see Jonathan, human beings run on three major instincts as a means of survival. Our social instincts tell us we want to be a part of something greater than ourselves, security instincts say to acquire as much money as we can and our sexual instincts dictate that we need to be wanted in order to be happy. While these instincts are good as we could not survive without them they can also be harmful to us and the ones we love. The only way to ensure these instincts do not run amuck is for you to find your higher purpose through an education and give it back to the world. This is not my theory Jonathan, it's my experience.

A person who is afraid to ask for help should not attend DVC. There are a multitude of resources for every student no matter your previous education or your future scholastic goals. The students who fall behind are the ones who do not form meaningful relationships with their proffessors, on campus staff members and their fellow students.

Alaura

I love the fact that they offer so many classes at flexible times which are all affordable. The common person can attend a higher level of education that wont break their bank. If there was any subject that looked even the least bit interesting, you can study it and do it close to home. That's why I love community college. You're always expanding your knowledge and expertise and if it turns out that you were not as crazy about a subject then you won't feel that you lost time or money.

I would encourage myself to continue my passions and not give them up for anyone or anything. I think that you only can be courageous and adventurous only for a short time in your life, so why not make the most of it? To one day tell my grandchildren the stories of my passionate youth will make me proud and I truly hope to make this a reality. Also, I would encourage myself to also understand my limitations and work with them for my advantage. Basically, don't take off more then I can chew, but try nonetheless. When everything has been said and done though, I don't think I'd change one thing since graduation high school. It's made me the person I am today, for better and for worst, I am me. You sometimes need to live through the storm so you can understand life better. Sometimes you needed to take that class that seemed completely pointless to you at the time, but then you learned that you had more of an interest in the subject that you had originally believed. If you keep your heart open, you can lean to love and learn. Thank you.

Because I attend a community college, the mindset of many of my peers are that of highschoolers. They view school as an extention of high school and that they are forced to attend when in reality, it's completely the opposite. If I could change one thing about my college experience, that would be it.

Noelle

I would tell my senior self to get my head on straight, grow up, and be prepared to take one hell of a journey of a lifetime. During high school, I did slack off a bit, in which some of that slack followed me into college. I regret never taking high school seriously. I'm not saying that I was a horrible student, but that I just felt as if my last few years in high school was a joke. I wasn't preparing myself for the college transition at all, and a few steps along the way during these college years, I slacked off and it hurt. So I would definately slap myself straight until my senior self gets the idea of fixing myself up and to get myself prepared for college.

I wish I had talked to a councelor before planning my future at this school. That way, I could go over the classes I would take to get my out of the community college as quick as possible. Also, I wish I had known about book rentals online. I did not find out about his until very recently. All I can think of now is how much money I could have saved on books.

The worst thing about DVC is that parking is a pain in the ass. If you're running late for class, you can always blame the parking lots. On a more serious note, DVC is not that bad, I do wish that they had more classes to choose from. But with the recent economy, they had no choice but to take away some of the more "exciting" classes if you will. Other than that, I have been content attending DVC.

byron

The school is highly diverse with a common understanding of others. people are always polite and it makes for quite a wonderful experience.

do better in high school, then go straight to college and get it over with. after that, then we'll party.

the only thing that could be worked on at my school is the classroom desks need serious updating.

Diablo Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.