Pleasant Hill, CA
Diablo Valley College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Diablo Valley College

Joann

What is unique about Diablo valley College is it's diversity in students as well as faculty. There are many programs available at DVC that accomodate the many needs of minority and under represented students that assist in each students success.

I would convince myself that success or the lack thereof truly is effected by the people you surround yourself with. I would show myself that even though you live in the ghetto plagued by drugs and gangs, there truly is more in life... and it can all be mine! I would show myself that college isn't just for rich white students, but that a college education truly is attainable even for people like me. There are programs in college and people that are willing to assist in my success.

I brag about the variety of degrees that are offered such as an A.A. in psychology.

Felicia

I have only been taking class at this particular community college for one semester, so I am not aware of what the school is best known for. While attending a different community college, Contra Costa College, a lot of students would say that DVC is known for their wide range of classes. They also have a big campus, that allows many subjects to be taught.

I attended Middle College High School, which is an alternative high school that allows its' students to take college courses and high school classes simultaneously. I already experienced the college student lifestyle when I was only a freshman in high school. If I could give myself any advice while I was a high school senior it would be to stay motivated. The transition from high schoool student/college student into concentrating on college alone is more difficult than expected. I would advise to concentrate on each class from the very beginning of each semester, because college grades aren't as easily redeemable as high school grades. Once you're failing a class, it's difficult to build your grade up again. Start off strong, end strong.

I would consider the lack of concentration by the other students the worst thing about my school. Sometimes the other students talk during class and it wastes the teachers time, and often it is distracting to those of us who wish to take full advantage of each class lesson.

Pamela

If I were able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd probably tell myself to keep trying harder and not give up hope. I could probably tell myself what I'm going to do now, and what school to enroll in, but that takes away from what I learned over the years. Its going to be a tough, emotional road and all of the hardships I went through I wouldn't give up. Because we're not going to the greatest student in the world, I would tell myself that our grades don't measure how good we are and getting depressed over it isn't going to do us any better, so just keep our head up. Until this fall semester, I had no idea what I was working towards. It took a friend that dragged me to an art school open house to find out what education I was looking for, so I'd have to be patient. I'd also tell myself to start saving money since the economy is pretty much spiraling downward at the point. Overall, stay strong and confident, and smile till that art school open house.

Community college is definitely for people who don't know what they want to do yet. There's a lot of pressure coming out of high school to know what plans they have for their future education, and even scarier, their future careers. Here, there can dabble in different subjects and figure out what suits them best. The school is also much cheaper than going straight to a university, and they can get their general education units done without having to worry about money.

This isn't a school for someone that can reach higher with no problems at all. If they know what they want to do, know where they want to go, and are in a good financial standing, then definitely shouldn't pass that opportunity and take their chance. This also isn't a school for someone who gets easily side-tracked, seeing as it is only a few blocks from a shopping mall and surrounded by several eateries. Nothing is more tempting than great hangout places to keep you from wanting to go to class.

Marcus

I think the diversity of indivduals that attend the school make up a strong uniqueness about the school. A wide range of peope of different ethnic backgrounds, ages, sexuality, religions and lifstyles makes the campus a vary interesting place to be.

I would advise my self to start working more and saving more of my money, also advise my self to trya nd avoid applying for or using a credit card as much as possible even if i use it for school stuff. I think i would also talk to myself about taking more academic risks and chances getting out and exploring life and school more. Learn to live more, school is a great opportunity to explore life in every aspect.

I would say the worst thing about my school is that we do not have a communication studies program, they have a small journalism department, but no other forms of comm. studies departments to help students explore the possibilities of these feilds of studies.

Diablo Valley College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.