Diablo Valley College

« See more reviews of Diablo Valley College

I attended Middle College High School, which is an alternative high school that allows its' students to take college courses and high school classes simultaneously. I already experienced the college student lifestyle when I was only a freshman in high school. If I could give myself any advice while I was a high school senior it would be to stay motivated. The transition from high schoool student/college student into concentrating on college alone is more difficult than expected. I would advise to concentrate on each class from the very beginning of each semester, because college grades aren't as easily redeemable as high school grades. Once you're failing a class, it's difficult to build your grade up again. Start off strong, end strong.

The advice that I would give to myself would be... first to attend a community collge for the general education requirements and then transfer to a 4 year degree to finish the bachelor program. i wouldn't have chosen to go to a private/vocational college if i knew more options in the beginning for my career options. Now that I'm back in school for my second degree, my first bachelors degree, i now know more options for my career from doing research on everything available. I didn't actually know how much free financial aid money was out there to help me fund my education. That's why I have student loans out for my first degree. Now that i'm back in school, I'm taking full advantage of all the free financial aid that is now available.

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stay focued because it will all work out in the end and have a rewarding pay off. As a student, there is nothing more wonderful to hear than the words, "you have been accepted" from a 4-year university when you thought you would never be able to make it. Success is 99% failure, so don't give up even though your grades tell you your failing. A school grade does not define you in any way, they do not reflect you as a person or show the knowledge you truely know. Tomorrow is always a new opportunity to start all over again. And always remember: "When God sees you doing your part, developing what He has given you, the He will do His part and open doors that no man can shut".

I would tell my senior self to get my head on straight, grow up, and be prepared to take one hell of a journey of a lifetime. During high school, I did slack off a bit, in which some of that slack followed me into college. I regret never taking high school seriously. I'm not saying that I was a horrible student, but that I just felt as if my last few years in high school was a joke. I wasn't preparing myself for the college transition at all, and a few steps along the way during these college years, I slacked off and it hurt. So I would definately slap myself straight until my senior self gets the idea of fixing myself up and to get myself prepared for college.

The transition to college life was a little bit more challenging than I expected. If I had the chance to go back in time and speak to my high school senior self, I would tell him not to lose focus, because all it takes is little bit of slacking off, and it can all just fall out from under you. And that if you just stay on track and keep visualing what you goal is, you can easily make the journey there, and there is nothing standing in the way of what you want except yourself. So dont lose track of whats important. And try to have fun doing as well. The key is to find joy in what you do.

I would work much harder my senior year in high school; focusing on my studies and preparing myself for college. Doing my FASFA and applying for more scholarships. Look through different colleges so I would not be stuck at just one. I would also redo my SAT and do my ACT. I would let myself know also that these are the best few years of my life and to learn how to prioritize fun with work. College is a continuation of high school with the exception that you may choose the classes youd like to attend and decide when you would like to take them.

I would say that you try to take as many extra curricular activities (school newspaper, sports or art ect..) as you can handle before entering a four year or two year institute. Not only will they help you socially but you'll be surprised what you may learn about yourself in the long run. Another thing I'll advise you on, since you are relatively young I wouldn't panic if you don't know what your major is going to be, just experiment a little maybe take a few classes at a community college see where that takes you.

If i could go back in time to when i was a senior in high school i would have alot of advice for myself. I would make sure i studied much harder because i know i am capable of earning staright A's. Now looking back i feel high school was so easy and i would make sure i took it very seriously. College is a little scary at first but once you get the hang of things its actually not that bad. I would tell myself to focus more and that college is the most important time for me because my success will determine my future.

Nothing should be taken for granted. Every friend, teacher, class subject or event should be valued. If you make a mistake, don't give up. If you feel like there is no purpose for a higher education, you are wrong. Things go wrong so that we can learn from them and eventually make them right. Always ask questions, even when the answers don't make sense, that same answer might make sense later on. But most of all enjoy the time you spend in school, because it is over just as fast as is begins .

I would convince myself that success or the lack thereof truly is effected by the people you surround yourself with. I would show myself that even though you live in the ghetto plagued by drugs and gangs, there truly is more in life... and it can all be mine! I would show myself that college isn't just for rich white students, but that a college education truly is attainable even for people like me. There are programs in college and people that are willing to assist in my success.