Diablo Valley College Top Questions

Muhammad

I would strongly advice myself to be more confident and outgoing. I would tell myself to translate those two qualities in the form of community service, volunteer work and leadership roles which not only look good on the college applications but are just beneficial in general. I would tell myself to get in the habit of reading at least five books a month solely because one gets smarter after each page. I would try to convince my younger self by stating the I have not performed at my optimal level yet because of my inability to do lots of reading. If I plant this seed and establish a good habit during the high school years, it would have a lot of contribution to my successful future including my performance in college. I would also advice myself to get work experience early on, in the form of internships and even talking to people working in the field I am majoring in. With internships, I will get a good glimpse of the working environment and from the people in field I can be enriched with their useful infield experiences which would be beneficial to me when I start working.

gina

The advice I would give myself is go to college right away, do no stop until you meet your full potential.

Music is a nice passion and hobby. Don't translate praise from your friends and family as: "I can go pro with this guitar!". A junior college is not a place where you learn how to work hard. Working hard is something instilled in you when you surround yourself by other hard workers. After gaining that attribute, you are ready to conquer anything! Being smart only takes you so far. Being stubborn takes you to the library, to office hours, to www.google.com, to the limit.

jacquelyn

The most basic thing I would tell myself is to get organized and stay focused. I was not prepared for college and I was extremely confused when I started. I dropped out multiple times, had no faith in myself, and wasn't comfortable enrolling back in classes. If I had known to just meet with my consoler and plan out my college courses, I believe I would have done much better than I have. Had I planned my courses and been organized I would have most likely finished more classes. I would have been focused on my goals and how long it would take me to achieve them. When I enrolled again, a couple years ago, I met with a consoler and planned my courses. I got extremely organized before I started school which enabled me to achieve high marks in all my classes. The better I do in school the more motivated I become to take more courses and complete my degrees. The last thing I would tell myself is to believe in myself. The only person who ever stood in my way was myself. Now that I truly believe I can achieve my goals, school is easy.

karla

College is very important, never take for granted your education. Dont think that Freshman year is too soon to start getting ready for college. get involved in different programs that will add to your college application. Always aim high and do not think that you are not smart enough to apply to a certain college or University, you can do it. but remember you have to work for it and keep good grade, a good conduct and always think ahead.

Do your work!! Spend a little extra time on school work instead of television and social activities. Your friends will be there when you are done, if they are real friends; but school can slip away from you in a second and then you are stuck with one option. To keep your options open to places that you can feel TRULY free, buckle down now that way life is easier in college. I didn't do that, and now I'm struggling. No, I'm not just saying this.

Danae

Have you ever sat in bed after a long day and contemplated what you did? That's how I feel about high school. If I had the opportunity to give my highschool self a bit of advice, there are a three things I would pinpoint. First is to excel in school, knowledge is the greatest gift you can give yourself. Graduating in the top of your class can provide numerous opportunities for your college experince and recognition for all future endeavors. Second is to be involved and leed your peers at all times. As a graduate embarking on my journey to complete my Girl Scout Gold Award, I have been exposed to how much of a difference it can make in your community when you take action and make your town a better place. I wish I had showed this trait through all of highschool rather than just beginning to grasp it towards the end. Lastly, I would tell myself to stay active. With a healthy lifestyle everything else you aspire to do will fall into place. If Freshman13 year old Danae Daviess knew these things, she would be excelling even faster than she is now. Reach for the stars.

Suzel

If I could go back in time, I would tell myself to stay focued because it will all work out in the end and have a rewarding pay off. As a student, there is nothing more wonderful to hear than the words, "you have been accepted" from a 4-year university when you thought you would never be able to make it. Success is 99{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} failure, so don't give up even though your grades tell you your failing. A school grade does not define you in any way, they do not reflect you as a person or show the knowledge you truely know. Tomorrow is always a new opportunity to start all over again. And always remember: "When God sees you doing your part, developing what He has given you, the He will do His part and open doors that no man can shut".

Avangeline-Marie

I look at the me in blue; graduation cap, with the tassle hanging in front of the left of my face, Senior Exhibition Meritorious Medal hanging on top of my gold chord. Touching the gold chord, I would ask myself how such a flimsy material could represent the unsurmountable sum of tear jerking nights I spent in front of a computer in my room alone, writing papers--always Times New Roman font, double-spaced, name, date, period, and teacher in the right hand corner. Or the elation that couldn't keep me from calling my mom after seeing an A beside every one of my teachers' names, even the AP ones, that bumped my GPA up to a 4.33. My voice would falter, preparing myself for the news that college material wasn't difficult, but the environment I would be thrown in was; A place that I was most confident in, would become one of a blunted impact. Streaming ideas, math equations, concepts, would not greet me in such a way that they used to. "For the first time in your life, Avangeline, you won't have other people to inspire you. You'll have to inspire yourself."

Danea

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would highly advise myself to focus more on studies than be so tied up in the drama of high school. I would tell myself that I deserve more in life than flipping burgers just to barely survive. Other advice I would give myself is to absorb the teachings and knowledge of those who push us to become more than just a high school graduate. I would advise myself to pour myself into scholarship applications in order to financially continue my education. I would tell myself to focus on the more important things that would help me survive in a world of high demand for educated people in order to have a decent paying job. I would tell myself that I could accomplish more in life with the right education. I am a fighter and I am stronger than all the things that would keep me from continuing my education. I will be able to say, "I did it!"

Shaterica

If I could go back to senior year and give myself advice, one thing I would advise myself to do would be to look at the bogger picture. It is easy for me to live in the here and now and not always look ahead on what could come as well as where I want to be. Going through my senior year, I lived just trying to get thinfs done and get out. I didn't think much about what I wanted to do with my life, didn't have many goals in terms of where I wanted to be in the 5-7 years to come. I based a lot of my decsisons on what others wanted for me rather than spending time thinking, exploring and figuring out what I wanted for my own life. If i could go back I would advise myself to spend more time thinking through my life and not be in sure a hurry to get to the next stage with out having a plan or goals that I was striving to attain.

Patricia

College is an important stepping stone to life, it helps you grow as a person; mentally and physically as well, from long nights studying for an upcoming exam to joining the tennis team at Diablo Valley. I find it very important to attend college because it shapes you to become a better person; it helps mold you into the real world. For example, you don’t know what hard work is until you take a challenging class, it helps you manage your time. You also learn to become more social by meeting your classmates to set up study sessions; this helps you with your social skills, very important in the real world. College helps us get ready for the real work world, and it also opens doors to many possibilities when i first attended Diablo Valley i didn’t know what to do, after exploring many.. many.. majors, i finally found one that fit my personality the best. Without college i would've opened my eyes to my passion. So i encourage everyone to go college to explore and open your eyes to different possibilities that life has to offer.

So far, I have gotten quality education and a lot of attention from my college experience. The staff and faculty are always ready to help me out with whatever I need. It's really wonderful to feel so supported by your college.

One piece of advice I would give you would be to learn about the college campus before the semester starts. For example, before your first day of school make sure you know how to get to all of your classes. Another example would be to visit the student union and library to learn how you can make the most out of those facilities. I would also advise you to admit when you need help. You are only hurting yourself when you spend hours doing the same homework assignment and refuse to ask your instructor or a tutor to help you. Another piece of advice would be to find motivation to succeed in all of your classes. For example, if you take algebra and do poorly, do not try to make yourself feel better by saying that algebra is not important and you will never need to know it. You need to realize that all classes in college have one important lesson in common, how to learn. Also, go to class prepared. Read your textbook before you go to class, that way when your instructor is lecturing, the material will sound familiar and you will likely learn it easier.

Suzy

College is the time to explore. Forget the family pressure loaded on you or that you load on yourself. If you don't know exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life, guess what? It's okay, really. The average college student changes their major three or four times. College is fun. For the most part, you don't have to take classes that don't interest you. This is the time in your life - your life - to explore what facinates you and intrinsicly motivates you to work and learn. College is the time in your life you become a genuine independent being. Embrace it, but be responsible. Take the classes you chose to enroll in seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously. At 27, I'm not where I thought I would be, or where I had planned to be, and I couldn't be happier. Learn to just go with your flow and you will be pleasantly surprised. Growing up can be fun, so let it be fun. My final bit of advice, it doesn't matter if a class fills a requirement - don't stop learning.

The advice that I would give to myself would be... first to attend a community collge for the general education requirements and then transfer to a 4 year degree to finish the bachelor program. i wouldn't have chosen to go to a private/vocational college if i knew more options in the beginning for my career options. Now that I'm back in school for my second degree, my first bachelors degree, i now know more options for my career from doing research on everything available. I didn't actually know how much free financial aid money was out there to help me fund my education. That's why I have student loans out for my first degree. Now that i'm back in school, I'm taking full advantage of all the free financial aid that is now available.

Terri

I would tell myself that I should take advantage of the opportunities available while they are available. That I should get all that I can from all that is offered. (Get well the getting?s good). The world out there is unstable and you cannot predict where you will be in thirty years. But in today?s society no job or career is secure even the ones that are now in thirty years things change. And a good education can be a springboard to other opportunities. I would tell myself there is no money in retail even in management and the price you pay is even worse due to the stress company?s put on you just for the almighty dollar. I would tell myself to have fun and enjoy the learning process. Just be a sponge and absorb all you can. Life will be a lot easier if you continue on to college right after high school instead of taking a break. Because when you take that break life starts happening and before you know it thirty years have past. Some things in life are just easier to do when you are younger and college is one of them.

Marisa

I would work much harder my senior year in high school; focusing on my studies and preparing myself for college. Doing my FASFA and applying for more scholarships. Look through different colleges so I would not be stuck at just one. I would also redo my SAT and do my ACT. I would let myself know also that these are the best few years of my life and to learn how to prioritize fun with work. College is a continuation of high school with the exception that you may choose the classes youd like to attend and decide when you would like to take them.

If I had the chance to visit myself as a high school Senior, I would definitely give myself a piece of my mind. As a senior in high school, I wasn't necessarily a poor student, but I was rarely in class. In the April Fool's edition of the school newspaper, the front page read "LOST STUDENT FINALLY FOUND", with my picture directly below. I was the Senior Class President that year and had way too many connections. Because of my connections and "Ferris Buehler-esque" look at high school, I was never in class, didn't try, and made it by with a 3.0. I was under the impression that senior year was supposed to be "easy". After all that?s said and done, my study habits lacked in my first semester of college. I had to teach myself effort, teach myself hard work in areas of disinterest, and teach myself how to study. High school was nothing compared College, and although I was told that, I never experienced it until now. It's way too easy to get caught up in being a senior and on top of the world, but reality eventually hits pretty hard.

Ali

The transition to college life was a little bit more challenging than I expected. If I had the chance to go back in time and speak to my high school senior self, I would tell him not to lose focus, because all it takes is little bit of slacking off, and it can all just fall out from under you. And that if you just stay on track and keep visualing what you goal is, you can easily make the journey there, and there is nothing standing in the way of what you want except yourself. So dont lose track of whats important. And try to have fun doing as well. The key is to find joy in what you do.

maria

Senior year is a very important year! It is now time to think and stay focused on which college you wish to attend. Yes senior year is time for celebrating because you finally did it! But keep in mind once you exit the stage on graduation day you are entering a world full of many careers, obstacles, and opportunities. Its very easy to lose focus so thats why you must push yourself. If you ever feel like you cant do it or your mind is drifting away take a breather but dont stop going to college. If you dont already know what you want to major in simply go for your general education. Within time you'll figure it out. Sometimes you feel like taking a year off but thats not always the best decision. With some, when you take a year off you get use to the freedom of no school and may never even go back. Then five maybe ten years later your in the same place you were in high school. I know, sounds cliche but its true. Listen to those words of wisdom that was once said "if at first you dont succeed,try try again".

Nikita

The words of wisdom I would share with my naive high school self would be to just keep going. You are already ahead of the game by graduating early, and that doesn't mean take a breather. That means hold your breath until the end of the tunnel. Steadily move foward with victory in sight. Even if your face turns a most impressive shade of deep violet red and you feel the tingle of little blood vessels starting to pop on your face, keep going no matter what it takes. Don't stop until you reach the end, see the light, and acheive your biggest goal! You can become the one to make your greatest dreams and wishes come true! Magic and fairtales are only in story books. Lastley, take pride and put your all in everything you do. I know you can do it!

If i could go back in time to when i was a senior in high school i would have alot of advice for myself. I would make sure i studied much harder because i know i am capable of earning staright A's. Now looking back i feel high school was so easy and i would make sure i took it very seriously. College is a little scary at first but once you get the hang of things its actually not that bad. I would tell myself to focus more and that college is the most important time for me because my success will determine my future.

I would not have started working right after high school. I would of stayed in school and finished my education. I had to take time off to work and to pay bills, and I only hurt myself in the long run. I should of stayed a student and got a degree, because education is very important. Also, if you need help, take advantage of tutoring, counseling and talk to your instructors!

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college, I would change some, but not all, things. First, I would tell myself that being in high school is the perfect time to try new things--to experiment with different fields in order to find what I am truly interested in and passionate about. Discovering my passion would lead to a definite major which would have made my class schedule and college planning a whole lot less stressful. Plus, college work takes up a lot of time; it becomes more of a time to focus on becoming an adult with endless responsiblities. Another piece of advice for transitioning into college would be to stay extremely organizes and self-motivated. College provides all students with the freedom to attend or not attend class, to study or not. It makes punishment for not working hard, much less apparent. However, in order to achieve in college and in life, I found it crucial to find a sense of self-motivation within myself and to be completely determined and organized. Only I can do the work to succeed in my life.

I would tell myself to get ready to spend money. Even though I am attending a community college, I still wasn't expecting books to be so expensive. I would also explain the work load that teachers usually give. Even though you have class for an hour and a half, twice a week usually, the outside work is a lot more than high school. There is more self learning, and if you do want good grades you have to read your textbook. As far as the social life, there isn't much of a difference. It was wierd, however, for me to have retired people in some of my classes. But for the most part, the students still acted like high schoolers. I would just encourage myself to focus on school, and to get the grades I need to be able to transfer to the university of my choice.

leila

Remembering myself as a high school senior, i was a very dedicated student. I kept my focus close and my goals closere. That characteristic stayed with me to this present day. High School consisted of minimal homework assignments and reading novels that were 100-200 pages. The tests that were given to us hardly had an effect on our grade. We could have easily brought our grade up by any homework assignments or in class essays. College on the other hand is the complete opposite. Majority of the time, college students are not given homework handouts. Instead we are given a syllabus at the beginning of the school year which informs the student on any upcoming exams which would be given based on the specific chapters that are listed. It is up to the student in how well they are able to organzie their study time and to prepare for the exams. In order to pass your class, constant reading and studying is a must. If i had known what the college expectations were during my transition period, i would have read much more to train myself for what was coming.

Tenesa

I f I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself: don't ever let someome tell you can't do something or that you aren't good enough. Remember there will always be someone that is going to smarter more qailified, gifted , but you cant let that keep you from trying and ultimately achieving your dreams. You can't fuffill your dreams if you don't go for them. You cant reget not goinng for something if you haven't even made an attempt to achieve what you want. Don't forget somethings aren't what they seem. Stuff in life happems for a reason, so try not to sweat the small stuff. Hindsight is 50/50. Most of al ltry to have fun. Remember the time shortly after graduating from high school and certainly the time during college is suposed to be the best years of your life--don't let those years slip by you.

Judy

When you register for classes, make sure to only register for as many classes as you can handle while leaving room for hanging out with friends and work because you'll want to hang out with friends more often than you'll want to do your homework and there will be times where you'll have to work when you should probably be sleeping in preparation for your classes the next morning. Take a few classes which you wouldn't dream of taking. Don't just take classes which are in your major. There are still many different subjects out there and therefore many different career opportunities. It's not that odd that you haven't decided on what you want to do with your life yet. Many people don't know what careers they want to pursue yet. In fact, there are even some people who are getting their second degrees because they didn't like their current career as much as they thought they would and because they also found out that they are good at a field they discovered while they were at their current career.

Danae

One thing that I would say to myself if I could go back in time to my senior year is that I need to take a chance. Take the time to apply for more scholarships and not let myself be completely terrified of the future. My life is very different than I thought it would be, even from just a year ago. Last year I attended University of California, Davis, and I took it for granted. I did alright in school but I didn't apply myself as I could have. I was afraid to put myself out there and take a chance that I treated that opportunity as though I deserved it, and earned it, instead of being a dream that could be taken away so easily. I have now learned that things are not as bad as they seem, and although it may sound naiive, I believe that life will always work out the way it is supposed to. The path you may not choose for yourself may be exactly what you need, and although the school you attend is not your dream or plan, it will nevertheless affect the outcome of your life if you let it.

Jose

I have often thought about the things I would change in my life if I could go back with the knowledge I have now. I was not oriented well. My parents spoke very little English, and I was the first to graduate high school. I honestly was discourage by my own father, telling me, "You dream to high." Now that I have made the transition and have grown up, lived and learned, I would tell myself to believe in myself and not let anyone tell me otherwise. I have learned that there are many ways to get financial help and that there are many options available and offered to someone seeking a higher education. It is a help I did not know existed growing up. Asking questions and seeking the right help will always direct the way. As a 33 year old man, I am still pursuing my dream. I have confidence and I know that at any age you can pursue your dreams.

Tala

If I could speak with myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to get together with my peers for study groups whenever I feel like I?m slipping in a class. Especially with my most difficult college classes like Economics, Critical Thinking, and Calculus, I knew the best thing for me would be to work with other students to analyze problems, understand answers, and make great friends. Working with others not only allowed me to gain a lot as far as my classes went, but it also allowed me to learn other people?s stories and begin to take advantage of my own life. I?ve met students who?ve gone through drug addiction, financial woes, dyslexia, and family conflicts; meeting them has brought me to appreciate my life so much more. Considering that I now receive mostly A's on my transcript, I believe I've made a very dramatic turn in college for the best. Nowadays, I couldn't be any prouder to show my parents my report card as opposed to trying to hide them during my senior year of high school, a feeling I owe to my experience with study groups in college.

In high school, your teachers and parents are constantly checking up on you to ensure that your homework is completed and that you are attending all your classes. This is not the case in college. In college, you are on your own. Unlike public high school, you pay to attend college and it is your money wasted if you choose not to go to class. In college you have much more freedom than high school because you are an adult. Of course, not all college students act like adults. The summer break between graduating high school and the first day your freshmen year of college usually isn't enough time for a student to mature and prepare for their new chapter of life. So, if I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would remind myself to be a responsible college student by attending all my classes and completing all my work. Students should be grateful for their opportunity to attend college and should take their time to learn and absorb all that they can from their experience.

As a high school senior, college seems like a load of stress and competition. But I have learned college is about self-exploration. Don't concern yourself with what you think you should be studying, or with what degree will earn you a high-paying job. Choose classes that pique your interest and challenge yourself in areas you feel are beyond your competence level. Although you will learn tons of new information about the world in college, you will learn even more about yourself. It seems daunting to have so many choices and career paths open to you, but look at this as an opportunity to redefine yourself and your interests. College is not your enemy as an evaluation of your success or lack thereof, but the means for trying new things. College is an unfamiliar and foreign environment; so explore. It's never too late to discover a new path in terms of careers and yourself. Just because you were the shy girl in high school doesn't mean you can't become a leader in college. Grasp every opportunity to challenge and learn more about yourself. Most importantly, remember to have fun.

Yvette

Nothing should be taken for granted. Every friend, teacher, class subject or event should be valued. If you make a mistake, don't give up. If you feel like there is no purpose for a higher education, you are wrong. Things go wrong so that we can learn from them and eventually make them right. Always ask questions, even when the answers don't make sense, that same answer might make sense later on. But most of all enjoy the time you spend in school, because it is over just as fast as is begins .

Kira

Dear me as a high school senior, Here?s some advice as you go to college. As soon as you get there, make an appointment with an academic counselor and meet with one before every semester to ensure you?re on the right path. Feel free to add ?fun? classes, but don?t eliminate the general education courses. Get to know your instructors; they are your allies. Speak up in class. By doing so, you will become more comfortable and confident speaking in front of groups, you will learn the material more easily and you will make a favorable impression on your instructors. Be friendly towards your classmates. Knowing your classmates helps you look forward to attending class and provides good study partners. Participate in extracurricular activities. It will help you meet people, make friends and feel a greater connection to your school. Take this once in a lifetime opportunity to add diversity to your life by trying new things and getting outside your comfort zone. Lastly, yet importantly, STAY IN SCHOOL. Once you leave, life has a way of taking you in a different direction making it very difficult to return. Soak up everything you can and have fun!

Kanoa

It's really hard to say. Since I have graduated I have; travelled to a few countries, I have spoken in front of hundreds of people, learned a new language, and changed all my goals and dreams around and upside down and back again, I've fallen in love, almost been married, lost a loved one, made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot, but in it all i've kept one constant. I've stayed true to who I am and what I believe. I guess I would say that things will come and go, and that just like seasons, there are seasons of life. But no matter what happens, where you go, and what you do, stay constant and don't lose yourself along the way. The path that i am about to endure may not make sense and will frusterate me a bit, but just to remember that life isn't about the end result its about the process. I would have to tell me that, I would fear telling me my mistakes I wouldn't be where I am today; not perfect but better than i was yesterday, to take life one day at a time.

High school is not the finish line. After three high schools, it is difficult to find the courage to make another set of new friends, the spirit to root for another football team, the motivation to work hard and strive for your best. You graduated middle of your class, without friends, and with that nagging feeling that you could have done better. The good thing is, no matter how untrue it may have felt at the time, you are not defined by your high school career. In fact, it's just the beginning. College is a time of self-discovery. You will meet other people, and join the clubs they tell you about. You will find classes that interest you, and professors who challenge you. You'll try green tea for the first time, and join the group on that weekend ski trip. What starts out as a "filler" class will become your passion, and you'll be surprised to find that you have a knack for learning Russian. In fact, you have a knack for a lot of things. But most importantly, you'll realize the value of hard work, and once again be inspired to reach your goals.

Lissette

I would say that you try to take as many extra curricular activities (school newspaper, sports or art ect..) as you can handle before entering a four year or two year institute. Not only will they help you socially but you'll be surprised what you may learn about yourself in the long run. Another thing I'll advise you on, since you are relatively young I wouldn't panic if you don't know what your major is going to be, just experiment a little maybe take a few classes at a community college see where that takes you.

Throughout college, I have realized that I wish I would have done a few things different. That thing would be to see a counsler and/or get a mentor. During High School, I had a mentor guiding and helping me to make sure that I was understanding the material. Now, I wish this is what I would have done in college. Even though I was having a hard time during my first years, I never thought of getting a mentor. But if i had to advice myself one thing that I would change is definitely see a counsler during my first year. I spent 3 years doing my general education because I was having a difficult time with some of the material and had to drop classes. This is why I wish I would have had a mentor, because I was having a hard time understading the material. Maybe I would have finished my general education a little bit sooner and moved on to my next educational goal faster. In conclusion, I would advice myself to get a mentor and see a counselor to receive that guidance that I very much needed in order to reach my goals.

I don't think I would change anything. After high school I joined the military and I don't think that at the time I would not have do good in college or I would have dropped out. After the military my outlook on education changed.

Jonathan, don't be afraid to jump in, get your feet wet and get a college education! Life is not about acquiring material goods or making more money than your fellow neighbor. Money is one of many by-products of discovering your unique gifts, putting those gifts into action and hence serving the greater good of the universe. The best way for you to discover these gifts and make them a part your being is through a higher education. You see Jonathan, human beings run on three major instincts as a means of survival. Our social instincts tell us we want to be a part of something greater than ourselves, security instincts say to acquire as much money as we can and our sexual instincts dictate that we need to be wanted in order to be happy. While these instincts are good as we could not survive without them they can also be harmful to us and the ones we love. The only way to ensure these instincts do not run amuck is for you to find your higher purpose through an education and give it back to the world. This is not my theory Jonathan, it's my experience.

Alaura

I would encourage myself to continue my passions and not give them up for anyone or anything. I think that you only can be courageous and adventurous only for a short time in your life, so why not make the most of it? To one day tell my grandchildren the stories of my passionate youth will make me proud and I truly hope to make this a reality. Also, I would encourage myself to also understand my limitations and work with them for my advantage. Basically, don't take off more then I can chew, but try nonetheless. When everything has been said and done though, I don't think I'd change one thing since graduation high school. It's made me the person I am today, for better and for worst, I am me. You sometimes need to live through the storm so you can understand life better. Sometimes you needed to take that class that seemed completely pointless to you at the time, but then you learned that you had more of an interest in the subject that you had originally believed. If you keep your heart open, you can lean to love and learn. Thank you.

Noelle

I would tell my senior self to get my head on straight, grow up, and be prepared to take one hell of a journey of a lifetime. During high school, I did slack off a bit, in which some of that slack followed me into college. I regret never taking high school seriously. I'm not saying that I was a horrible student, but that I just felt as if my last few years in high school was a joke. I wasn't preparing myself for the college transition at all, and a few steps along the way during these college years, I slacked off and it hurt. So I would definately slap myself straight until my senior self gets the idea of fixing myself up and to get myself prepared for college.

byron

do better in high school, then go straight to college and get it over with. after that, then we'll party.

Joann

I would convince myself that success or the lack thereof truly is effected by the people you surround yourself with. I would show myself that even though you live in the ghetto plagued by drugs and gangs, there truly is more in life... and it can all be mine! I would show myself that college isn't just for rich white students, but that a college education truly is attainable even for people like me. There are programs in college and people that are willing to assist in my success.

Felicia

I attended Middle College High School, which is an alternative high school that allows its' students to take college courses and high school classes simultaneously. I already experienced the college student lifestyle when I was only a freshman in high school. If I could give myself any advice while I was a high school senior it would be to stay motivated. The transition from high schoool student/college student into concentrating on college alone is more difficult than expected. I would advise to concentrate on each class from the very beginning of each semester, because college grades aren't as easily redeemable as high school grades. Once you're failing a class, it's difficult to build your grade up again. Start off strong, end strong.

Pamela

If I were able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd probably tell myself to keep trying harder and not give up hope. I could probably tell myself what I'm going to do now, and what school to enroll in, but that takes away from what I learned over the years. Its going to be a tough, emotional road and all of the hardships I went through I wouldn't give up. Because we're not going to the greatest student in the world, I would tell myself that our grades don't measure how good we are and getting depressed over it isn't going to do us any better, so just keep our head up. Until this fall semester, I had no idea what I was working towards. It took a friend that dragged me to an art school open house to find out what education I was looking for, so I'd have to be patient. I'd also tell myself to start saving money since the economy is pretty much spiraling downward at the point. Overall, stay strong and confident, and smile till that art school open house.

Marcus

I would advise my self to start working more and saving more of my money, also advise my self to trya nd avoid applying for or using a credit card as much as possible even if i use it for school stuff. I think i would also talk to myself about taking more academic risks and chances getting out and exploring life and school more. Learn to live more, school is a great opportunity to explore life in every aspect.